• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami seeking new main staff members for development of new Metal Gear series

PtM

Banned
This really does reak of "We're going to ruin everything you loved"... Like when Capcom cancelled MML3 after it's demo they said would be used to gauge interest was completed but never put up and just plain cancelled.

Konami in saying they are hiring for a new MGS immediately are basically taunting Kojima before he's even out of the door "We're going to milk this series for every penny it's worth and then leave it as a worthless shell."
That's an interesting thought, Konami holding MGS ransom: "If you leave, we will run your baby into the ground."

Unrealistic, though.

Cirdan

Neo Member
Rising was in a whole different genre gameplay-wise so they can't be compared in that way, but did you really think the story and art were that bad? .

Actually I just meant that Kojima handing Rising development(even on stage at that!) to his other younger peers at Kojipro/Konami(?) didn't go well. As in the end it was handed for Platinum to salvage to complete in what 9 months?

The game itself turned out pretty good, but I'll be honest I was there to see what Platinum does best. Could have been called Vanquish 2: Katana Edition for all I care. Still wouldn't turn down a Rising 2 either with some more dev time. By Platinum of course.

jackal27

Banned
I will not buy a Metal Gear that doesn't have Kojima attached to it. Konami was one of my top 3 or 4 publishers, even up until 2008 or so. Now it's only a matter of time until I wave goodbye to them just like they made me wave goodbye to Hudson.

So long Konami, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I will not buy a Metal Gear that doesn't have Kojima attached to it. Konami was one of my top 3 or 4 publishers, even up until 2008 or so. Now it's only a matter of time until I wave goodbye to them just like they made me wave goodbye to Hudson.

So long Konami, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Well Metal Gear and Silent Hill was my Konami game's, Silent Hill turned to shit but MGS still shined, the news that Kojima was heading Silent Hill was a godsend and now this......
Konami are in for a rough time, if MGSV turns out to be Kojima's greatest then that's not a hard act to follow up which is already their problem, it'll be an impossible act to follow-up.
I know MGS is a bit more then just Kojima but I really don't see a bright future for Konami as it currently stands.
Their next big game was Silent Hills after the release of their flagship title MGSV
And they just let the man responsible for them go?
Shareholders must be going nuts.

jusufin

I'm interested in seeing where he goes from here. It sucks that I'll never get a Snatcher or ZOE sequel from him, but at least he's free to create what he wants with a clean slate.

If they do this, I want them to make a clean break from the MGS series. They could use the same universe but create all new characters. Don't even bring Snake or one of his clones into it.

In my opinion, the series has really suffered from a slavish devotion to Solid and Naked Snake. There's so much more they could do with Metal Gear.

If they do this, I want them to make a clean break from the MGS series. They could use the same universe but create all new characters. Don't even bring Snake or one of his clones into it.

In my opinion, the series has really suffered from a slavish devotion to Solid and Naked Snake. There's so much more they could do with Metal Gear.

They won't. They'll bring back Solid Snake and put him into scenarios that don't work in a timeline that won't make sense.

Embearded

10583067_731549170294899_8194354965221117250_o.jpg

ittoryu

Karma's a bitch, huh ?

You dump Hayter and later on Konami dump you lol.
Yeah who cares if they went back and removed any mention of Kojima from the mgs he created, right? Who cares if in 2015 a company is allowed to retroactively erase traces of a man that made history in the games industry and releases fake pr blurb to not loose preorders?

This is sickening and should be point out, karma and all the rest should really have no space in this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mass Effect fans are my family.

My heart goes out to you Metal Gear fans. I went through something similar when OG Team Ninja was dissolved right when Ninja Gaiden 2 was being finished.

duckroll

My heart goes out to you Metal Gear fans. I went through something similar when OG Team Ninja was dissolved right when Ninja Gaiden 2 was being finished.

Not entirely accurate, since Ninja Gaiden 2 was never really finished. :(

Damn, I really hope that doesn't happen to MGSV. >_<

Gun Animal

In MGS: Ground Zeroes Deja Vu flashback mission.
There are flashbacks to MGS1 and they've re-recorded all of Hayters lines with K. Sutherland.

Never forget !

That's not the same! David Hayter was never involved with GZ and if they used his lines in a new game without paying him or involving him it would have caused further stink.

I'm convinced that the reason Konami is scrubbing Kojima's name from everything is that he was already planning on leaving Konami's Kojima Productions and starting his own studio with his name in the title. Since Konami can't copyright his name, their next best move is to retroactively redact it.

Haunted

I wonder if the next Metal Gear Solid director will bring back Hayter to give Solid Snake that iconic voice back for the next mainline installment.

Haunted

Would be totally epic though, for Solid's next showdown with Liquid Snake, set after MGS4, both young and in their prime.

There's still so much potential there for Solid Snake's story. Maybe Big Boss also makes another appearance, as a slightly-older sort of mentor figure for Snake.

I wonder if the next Metal Gear Solid director will bring back Hayter to give Solid Snake that iconic voice back for the next mainline installment.

I don't know if they will but I think they should go off in an entirely different direction with new characters. There's got to be more interesting people in the espionage world than a guy, a clone of the guy and a guy who does clones of missions of the guy who was cloned.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Konami destroyed Suikoden and are going to destroy MGS.

Sorry Konami, but I'm no interested in a non-Kojima Metal Gear game.

Haunted

I don't know if they will but I think they should go off in an entirely different direction with new characters. There's got to be more interesting people in the espionage world than a guy, a clone of the guy and a guy who does clones of missions of the guy who was cloned.
Maybe the new director and the new writer will make Otacon star as the main character in his own spinoff adventure.

I'm thinking cyborg enhancements, dual swords, make him into a badass.

Haunted

They're building up to a monstrous April Fool's joke, guys. Am I the only one who sees this?!
I want to nod and play along with you so you won't break down right now, but I fear the shock and disappointment on April 1st would break you anyway.

So, uh... no.

Betty

Banned
Konami... Time to hire Swery. You know you want it.

People need to stop suggesting Swery, or Suda 51 or any of the other Kojima-lite wannabe's that would only offer the palest imitations with none of the substance.

You can't ape Kojima's style, so don't bother, take the series in a new direction by all means that has no relation to the Big Boss/Solid Snake saga, just let the new directors/writers craft it how they wish.

Top Bottom