• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami takes down Super Bunnyhop video (Kojima vs Konami) with copyright strike

Nightbird

Yeah but if you saw last years pathetic booth expect very little..
Konami%20E3%202014.jpg

It's safe to assume that it'll be different this year, but for other reasons

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The video uses footage from P.T., MGS2, and MGR: Revengeance without permission. Konami indeed targeted the video for its subject matter, but the fact is it does use footage that belongs to them and that gives them legal grounds to remove it. If SBH didn't have game footage in the video Konami would of had no grounds to stand on to remove it.
It's an editorial. This falls easily into fair use.

BadRamen

That's why you buy MGSV physically. Even if Konami wipe the digital sorte version and prevent people from redownloading it and shut off support for the online (which I reckon will get a year tops at this point) then you at least have the physical disk.

I think I'll still get the PC version on steam because even if they delist it there and stop you downloading it hackers and modders will find a way to let it live on.

No need for the physical copy of the PC version, as I am sure they will cheap out and just have a Steam code in a box. Would like to be proven wrong though!

Nintendo did the same thing Konami did with P.T. to people who bought a particular, not really major, NES game on Wii VC. Yoshi's Cookie I think? Not sure.

As long as I know nobody knows the full details behind this, but there weren't any lawsuits since the availability of content is subject to removal.

Yeah, Yoshi's Cookie was a licensing thing (Nintendo had a different company develop the game for the various systems) whereas I could see Konami at the rate they are going now, just pulling everything just because they said so. Hell, I could see at least Castlevania as a series being pulled due to IGA getting his own thing on to spite him, let alone Metal Gear. Konami is yeah, doing what that company that pillaged SNK back in the day did, like that previous poster pointed out.

I keep saying to myself, "Well that is that, they really have started to scorch the earth... wait, nope, they did something more ridiculous just now"

Konami is finally becoming relevant in more people's minds than probably ever! Now, people, just take that anger/sadness/disappointment and gamble it all away!

Zubz

Banned
Source on that comic strip? lol so many uses for that one!

It's by an artist named Shmorky. They were actually pretty upset about people using that comic without citing the source, so I'm glad someone asked about it.

Anyway, I know Konami's financially doing better after dropping video games for pachino machines, but I hope this comes back to bite them, somehow. In my eyes, I already felt they were acting immaturely, and that was just from The Jimquisition. I didn't bother to watch this video until after Konami tried to strike it down. I'm glad I did; they basically confirmed everything in this video by trying to take it down.

And seriously, are there any repercussions for striking a video on YouTube?

Merc_

It's not really digging if they don't give a fuck to begin with. They know you all are still going to buy MGSV no matter what they do, so why should they give a shit? They're pretty much on their way out the door anyway.

collige

Banned
You would think so, but the whole "fair use" thing has been wonky lately. Basically when it comes to game footage companies seem to decide what's fair use anymore.

You can blame Youtube's horrible automated policies for that. It's setup to always favor the person doing the complaint.

Kirlia

Banned
It's not really digging if they don't give a fuck to begin with. They know you all are still going to buy MGSV no matter what they do, so why should they give a shit? They're pretty much on their way out the door anyway.

Why would they take down that video if they didn't give a shit about anything? Unless they're deliberately being trolls, but even then, taking the video down pretty much validates everything in the video.

LordofPwn

You would think so, but the whole "fair use" thing has been wonky lately. Basically when it comes to game footage companies seem to decide what's fair use anymore.

I think it's more Youtube can't side with defendants and most people not being able to afford a lawyer for fighting a video posted to youtube... it's childish but it works for them and that's all they care about.

Mr. RHC

Weird to see that Konami would go that far. I mean, it's a rumor after all, it's not like classified information or information people haven't been piecing together anyway has been leaked.

Impala26

Why would they take down that video if they didn't give a shit about anything? Unless they're deliberately being trolls, but even then, taking the video down pretty much validates everything in the video.

Frankly with all that's gone down... it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Merc_

It wouldn't surprise me if it was simply spite at this point.

If you're going to be a dick, might as well be the biggest one possible!

Frankly with all that's gone down... it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

If this whole entire saga was a stunt by Kojima... good lord that'd easily outshadow the whole MGS2 release scenario.

On a somewhat less tin-foily note, do we know if MGS5 is still a Kojima game? Or is it safe to assume he doesn't have creative control over it anymore the same way he did with the previous MGS games?

Konami leaving the gaming industry and a blaze of furious shit.

Just heartbreaking.
8-bit, 16-bit, Arcades, PS1, PS2... so many stellar IPs and productions.

I know nothing lasts forever, but it's just a shame- especially with some Japanese devs seemingly picking themselves up after an extremely lackluster last gen and getting back in the fight.

RIP Konami.
Gone, but not forgotten. My childhood will always thank you. :/

Linkhero1

Konami's self destruction of their console gaming division is pretty interesting. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this point.

Shy

It's all cleared up.
George posted this on his facebook.

Super Bunnyhop said:
Strike resolved, Konami revoked it. I was traveling before & after this incident began&ended. Sent 3 polite emails to Konami PR. It worked.

liquidtmd

Banned
The intern currently running Konami Operations just sent a letter to Youtube saying "Plz take down this video, it mentions Konami and Konami is a registered trademark"

Youtube: "Yeeeeahhh we're gonna need a little bit more than that"

No need for the physical copy of the PC version, as I am sure they will cheap out and just have a Steam code in a box. Would like to be proven wrong though!
At least Steam is known not to remove redownload rights from games after they are delisted. Now updating a game to make it inferior is another matter (many Rockstar games have had broken versions being uploaded).

Yeah, Yoshi's Cookie was a licensing thing (Nintendo had a different company develop the game for the various systems
Nintendo had licenses for the NES, GB and Gamecube versions (the fact redownload is not possible while it is for many other delisted product implies they did not have the license during the sale period if I'm not mistaken). The SNES version was known as Hermetica originally but Nintendo saw it and added the Mario cast to it presumebly as a sweetener to get the rights to the NES and GB versions (see, it isn't just Kirby who gatecrashes games). David Nolte made Hermetica (also worked on Hatris and others). Their website is currently dead though hence the archive link.

Hahah what THIS IS A CIRCUS
You could say it was a carnival of stupid.

Top Bottom