• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: 98% of PC Copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider Were Bought on Steam

Not surprised. I do like games being cross platform if you buy them on Xbox One. However I do hope they will eventually release Killer Instinct 3 on steam. It is good with options.

aeolist

Banned
Not really, Galaxy doesn't restrict you launching game only from it's client. You can install game from client and after that never even open it to play game.

you can do this with a lot of steam games too. valve doesn't require steam integration or online checks, there's plenty of games that are basically the same as GOG versions that get delivered through steam.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I seriously got burnt buying the Windows Store version. I wanted to support alternate PC distribution platforms—Valve's stranglehold is scary.

This was before the brouhaha over Quantum Break, GoW, etc., so I wasn't aware of all the limitations going in.
Valve has been pretty damn ethical thus far though.

Durante

Yah our Steam version is DRM free, though we also sell on Humble with a steam key included.

Technically our Steam version checks to see if Steam is running when you launch it, but if it doesn't find Steam then it just soft fails all online content that requires an account (leaderboards etc) and behaves like the Humble version. I also hope more developers in general abandon DRM, especially indies.

Edit - It might be nice if you could plaster DRM FREE as a feature too right along stuff like the Steam Leaderboard support and Controller support etc.
That's actually a great idea. Have you ever suggested it to Valve?

Brandson

Microsoft has a terrible history of launching stores or services and then shutting them down. I have no confidence in anything bought directly from MS still being accessible 1-2 years from now. At this point, Steam is stable, easy to use, well-established, and carries the vast majority of games that interest me. There is no reason to use anything else. I make one exception for Origin because my wife really likes The Sims, so I have to keep Origin installed for that, but I wish I didn't have to. I wish EA would sell on Steam too. I find the Origin interface irritating to navigate and search for things, particularly expansions, which show up in some places but not others. If Origin has a shopping cart feature, it's so well hidden I've never seen it. It looks like you have to purchase every item you want individually. Maybe there is a cart somewhere (because I can't believe they wouldn't have one), but it's never appeared for me.

Everytime I suggest this dudes just slap me down and say check the PCgamingwiki lol.

Microsoft has a terrible history of launching stores or services and then shutting them down. I have no confidence in anything bought directly from MS still being accessible 1-2 years from now. At this point, Steam is stable, easy to use, well-established, and carries the vast majority of games that interest me. There is no reason to use anything else. I make one exception for Origin because my wife really likes The Sims, so I have to keep Origin installed for that, but I wish I didn't have to. I wish EA would sell on Steam too. I find the Origin interface irritating to navigate and search for things, particularly expansions, which show up in some places but not others. If Origin has a shopping cart feature, it's so well hidden I've never seen it. It looks like you have to purchase every item you want individually. Maybe there is a cart somewhere (because I can't believe they wouldn't have one), but it's never appeared for me.

Maybe if Valve did what Apple and Google are doing where they are reducing their rate to 15% for developers who get subscriptions to their game EA might come back. It's have to be something other than subscriptions of course.

Technically our Steam version checks to see if Steam is running when you launch it, but if it doesn't find Steam then it just soft fails all online content that requires an account (leaderboards etc) and behaves like the Humble version. I also hope more developers in general abandon DRM, especially indies.

Edit - It might be nice if you could plaster DRM FREE as a feature too right along stuff like the Steam Leaderboard support and Controller support etc.

Our game works the same way. I have wondered for a long time why Valve doesn't let developers communicate that their game is DRM Free, as there are a fair amount of games on the Steam that are.

Paz

No but I suppose that is something I should try and do, I'm so used to Valve being a monolith that the idea of communicating a suggestion doesn't even pop in to my mind haha.

SerTapTap

Frankly, this is good to see, even though I don't like Steam's more or less monopoly. They're offering too little value. They'll need to start offering REAL Xbox One/Win10 cross-buy, not this digital-preorders only BS, if they want to see people start dipping their toes in I think.

GOG is good in concept, but they have absolutely terrible curation.

GOG is good for, well, old games. For indie games/DRM Free I prefer itchio. I hope there's room for itchio too, it's been doing great stuff lately. It's like, the opposite of Windows store.

wehaveabadass.jpg

Durante? Fuck yeah he's a badass, son.
Hey, I've been dissed in the same post as Durante, I feel important now! :)

Very droll...other than a dying desktop market...what does Microsoft have a monopoly on

Everything they possibly can, it's their entire modus operandi, they're just not too good at it and people know what they're about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_litigation#Anti-trust
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish
Let me throw your argument back at you; aside from PC gaming (certainly a much less relevant segment in the grand scheme of things than professional computers), what does Valve have a monopoly on.

This argument is tired

I'm sorry you get tired of hearing obvious truth! That's what usually happens with obvious truths, they get quoted often. Don't worry, next time we'll make up some new and exciting lies. :)

(Checks mcrommert's post history and sees 99% of them have "Xbox" in the title).
I'm utterly, utterly shocked.

dr_rus

Frankly, this is good to see, even though I don't like Steam's more or less monopoly.

What monopoly?

87Sb.png

Top Bottom