• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Batman reimagined by Tetsuya Nomura.

UrbanRats

I can't say I disagree with your logic.

still, I don't hate the design, i'm just a little confused by it. I can only imagine what his catwoman will be like.

I'm not sure why most hate it so much, since not many have actually given a reason, but i guess a big one would be that people imagine this thing sneaking around and doing Batman stuff.

I immediately saw it closer to Zetman, which in the manga is basically a beast out of control, not really a "detective", so the fact that it looks like a summon from FF actually fell right in place with my initial impression.

The talks about 'practicality' make sense only if you expect it to do the things that Batman does traditionally, which i don't.
Besides, it's not like Batman had the most practical design in the first place, let's be honest.

Nordicus

I dislike the design, however that model is marvelous eye candy due to how detailed it is.

Totally looks like Zetman :

Zetman_v01c01p000b.jpg

Invented by Katsura as a tribute to his favorite hero : batman. You guessed it.
Love me some Zetman. Except the anime, that was.... urrrrggghh

Nomura is clearly a mentally unstable and dangerous man and should not be allowed near Batman ever again.

That said I'd totally buy a figure of that.

TEJ

I'm not sure why most hate it so much, since not many have actually given a reason,

I don't understand why it gets so much hate either, it's not like it's the new design for batman in arkham knight, the comics, or future movies.

it's just harmless re imagining.

Kamen Rider Bathamut?

It's simultaneously dreadful AND fantastic. I don't know whether I would laugh to death at the sight of this thing coming straight down at me from a building to deliver to me some justice, or whether I would crap my trousers and curl into a foetal position before he even comes near me.

Then of course, his weird wings and protruding arms will mean he gets caught on something, and everyone starts laughing.

To be fair to the guy, a) Batman was never practical in any of his designs and incarnations (one look at Batarangs says enough), b) it will probably just stay as a figurine, and c) if he goes back to the drawing board with the wings and arm things, I wouldn't even mind having this as the Arkham Knight design instead of the (still very good) design that Rocksteady is currently running with.

Proven

It looked completely stupid to me. The mask makes it look too much like a character from Kingdom Hearts. The extra arms are just stupid.

After a minute, I realize he added the extra arms specifically to control the wings. That's a nice touch.

wmlk

Whatever man, this rekindled my hype for FFXV like I never thought it would. Can't wait to see how those summons look, especially Bahamut (given that Nomura designs them).

KoopaTheCasual

I don't understand why it gets so much hate either, it's not like it's the new design for batman in arkham knight, the comics, or future movies.

Because Nomura. Highly doubt this thread would draw out a response of this magnitude and indignation if his name was removed from the title.

NateDog

And a re-imagining based on Final Fantasy, it's not like Nomura has said "if I was to redesign Batman this is what I'd make him look like". Anyway apart from the arms it looks OK I think, bit surprised they're making an actual figure on it though. Apparently he's doing a few re-imaginings based on different versions of Batman, would be better if he did a few different characters I think.

TEJ

Because Nomura. Highly doubt this thread would draw out a response of this magnitude and indignation if his name was removed from the title.

i think it's kinda cool seeing people from different cultures doing their own versions of characters I grew up with even if I don't fully understand the designs.

That said, I think the guy behind the shin megami tensei art, is a better fit for batman.

GrayDock

Batman meets Dr. Octopus...

IF the wings arm/claws-thingies were hidden when not gliding it would be kind of cool.

Nomura needs someone to took his pen away and say "STOP IT! IT'S GOOD ENOUGH!!!".

His Green Arrow would probably have extra arms to hold each one of his five (different sizes) bows and his Aquaman would have a fin (or two or three)....

abadguy

Banned
[THIS THING] - [ACTUAL BATMAN] = Everything wrong with Japanese character designs.
Note: that's a minus.

Seeing as how not all Japanese artists design characters the same way (as in they tend to have different design/art styles) this statement is silly. Had they gotten someone like Bengus/CRMK the design would be nothing like this. This is strictly Nomura's art style.

KoopaTheCasual

i think it's kinda cool seeing people from different cultures doing their own versions of characters I grew up with even if I don't fully understand the designs.

That said, I think the guy behind the shin megami tensei art, is a better fit for batman.
Oh yea, I definitely agree, but it's ridiculous reading comments predicting the doom of FFXV, because of... a Batman model.

Overly complex with a design that makes you ponder: Would this even be functional?

Pretty much sums up the majority of Japanese character designs.

UrbanRats

That getup certainly facilitates the acrobatic maneuvers Batman needs to pull off.

Just like Barman's original cape, amirite?

Overly complex with a design that makes you ponder: Would this even be functional?

Pretty much sums up the majority of Japanese character designs.
Functionality isn't that necessary in a fictional worlds.
And again, Batman's original design isn't exactly the epitome of functionality.

But i guess otherwise we'd get everything looking like a Navy Seal.

MilkBeard

90% of the posts in this thread are wrong. Looks pretty awesome. In my opinion Batman has rarely ever looked cool.

Nomura should ditch the idea that this is Batman and use this design for some crazy, gothic futuristic game or manga.

Riposte

In what way does it look like a modern transformer? It looks more like a Nomura mechanical enemy design or design from a Japanese mecha series with slim models scaled down to a human.

The main issue I have with this is, if you weren't told that this was supposed to be batman beforehand, would you even know that this is supposed to be batman?

The bat logo for a face with the iconic silhouette and bat motif doesn't give it away? If this wasn't Batman, people would be wondering if he ripped off Batman. In any case, if that's your main issue, then that's a good thing, because it suppose to be a reimagining, not Nomura using an established design. People thinking "OMG how can fight the Joker and solve crime mysteries with the Boy Wonder like that!?" are so completely missing the point I have to wonder if its even possible they could be more of a Batman fanboy than me. The point is to take a Batman design and make it completely alien to its established form by putting it the hands of foreign artists and telling them to go wild. Ask yourself: Would this be a cool enemy or protagonist in a futuristic, highly-stylish action game? If the answer is yes, then the design succeeds, even if one can't get over the difficulties of replacing Batman with it.

Horrible. Even if you think that Batman looks goofy in other incarnations, which appears to be a common argument in favour of this monstrosity, this still looks like shit.

sephiroth7x

Too much for me if I'm honest...

Though you can really tell this is Nomura in almost everything, his motif's are all over it!

Top Bottom