• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - Microsoft Punishes Gears Leakers By Making Their Xbox Ones Unusable

JP

It's wrong to break an NDA once you've agreed it but unless what Microsoft is doing to the consoles is covered in the NDA, what they're doing is also wrong.

......what the hell? Aint that a bit harsh? if it was in a contract or T&A that they signed then okay but.....what?

Bolded basically applies to the first two questions. You basically answered your own question.

Losing access to their Xbox One is getting off light, probably. NDAs aren't supposed to be easily breakable.

Pejo

Gold Member
I don't mind the punishment as much as I don't like that MS can render an x1 inoperable remotely. That's some scary shit.

You break the rules, you pay the piper.

roddy-piper-obey.jpg

NDA or not. They shouldn't make the console itself unusable. Idc. Ban them from any future beta or early game invites but I think it's horrible they can do this

Not at all. I'm assuming from the post that they're also devkit Xboxes and not home ones, since they can run the beta code. Disabling a devkit is completely fair.

Hip Hop

NDA or not. They shouldn't make the console itself unusable. Idc. Ban them from any future beta or early game invites but I think it's horrible they can do this

If that's all I would get from breaking an NDA, the consequence is so meaningless that everyone would be posting leaks.

FStop7

Banned
The link in the OP doesn't work for me.

Are these personal consoles owned by the leakers, devkits owned by the testing company, or something else? It's not very clear.

Breaking NDA is a pretty big deal.

Imagine if this was Microsoft's centerpiece for E3. Sure, that would be a really sad centerpiece, but still, that's some thunder stolen.

Don't agree to an NDA and break it.
Disabling a $350-500 console may be a little extreme in this particular case since it's basically the worst kept secret ever with or without the leaked videos but still, do the crime, do the time, etc.

Boke1879

Man, try doing something like that at your workplace (leaking confidential material) and see what happens when you get caught.

These people don't inherently work for MS do they? Ban them from the game fine. But bricking the entire console? Idk

And let's be real. GOW remaster is the worst fucking kept secret this e3. Let it ride.

Galang

Banned
They got off way too easy. They broke an NDA for Internet fame and didn't get penalized... Replacing an Xbox One is nothing.

These aren't random gamers who signed up for a beta by preordering a game.

They are employees of a company. They probably signed multiple nondisclosure agreements and agreed to these conditions.

Only one of those dudes leak screens, with his gamertag plastered all over it, the other dude we just happened to have found a clip on the database because of the first dude.

Nzyme32

The only bullshit I see here is VMC Games leaking the footage. Providing they signed an NDA.

To test the games they have to sign an NDA, so yeah, it's pretty much on all those people that Violated the NDA, and MS will hold VMC to account in what the agreed terms of that NDA are regarding the consequences of breaking it

Chesskid1

Banned
VMC may also be pressing charges against them for violating the NDA.

They are going HARD. Letting everyone know they ain't gonna tolerate any leaks in the future.

gai_shain

......what the hell? Aint that a bit harsh? if it was in a contract or T&A that they signed then okay but.....what?

testers sign an NDA if thats all they get they got off very light

so you think it would be better for them if MS took them to court? thats gonna be alot more costly than a new xbox

edit: apparently ms is looking to take legal action, good for MS

Top Bottom