• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: "Only 90% of Xbox One GPU usable for games"- PS4 GPU up to 66% more powerful?

TheD

The Detective
FTFY

If you want to disprove what I just said you've gotta do better than that, it's a pretty laymans terms explanation but the system does provide 170GB/s of aggregate bandwidth with the move engines. Of course GDDR5 is better overall but we definitely cannot plainly compare DDR3 vs GDDR5 as most people mistakenly do. If you argue that then it is you who have no idea what you're talking about. Do some research and come back when you do, mmkay?

You only get that 100ish GB of bandwidth when you are accessing something that is in the very small SRAM, everything else is limited to the speed of the DDR3 main RAM (the vast amount of the RAM).
You clearly have no clue and you have no right to abuse people because you can not get your head around simple concepts!

Cool, I guess that also confirms that the PS3 did not use it.

DieH@rd

Banned
I really like that we can chose which parts of the PSN game we can download first [singleplayer of multiplayer] and start playing after only few gigs. :)

alterego

FnOyhho.jpg

danwarb

A 7770 doesn't have an eSRAM cache to be fair.

Xbox 360 had GPU reserved, and so will PS4. MS should just keep their mouths shut like Sony, who no doubt have a similar if not identical OS footprint/reserve with PS4. And DRM.

You only get that 100ish GB of bandwidth when you are accessing something that is in the very small SRAM, everything else is limited to the speed of the DDR3 main RAM (the vast amount of the RAM).
You clearly have no clue and you have no right to abuse people because you can not get your head around simple concepts!
That's not how it works for graphics processing, "everything else" doesn't need much bandwidth. The GPU gets effectively 170GB/s.

As long as their are good games who cares if the system is less powerful than WII U. Gaf is so disappointing sometimes. Its like really who gives a @$#@ if the system is not powerful. Does that mean you wont get good games? NO

Oh no. XB1 is not as powerful as PS4. All hope of any games being good is lost. All hope is gone. All of gamer life on the console is forever doomed. There will be no games. No core titles. Nothing. Burn the console. Burn the controller. Burn it all.

MS is the one company that needs superior multiplats to round out a library.

beast786

Oh no. XB1 is not as powerful as PS4. All hope of any games being good is lost. All hope is gone. All of gamer life on the console is forever doomed. There will be no games. No core titles. Nothing. Burn the console. Burn the controller. Burn it all.

yeah, that is exactly what he was saying.

i-Lo

Kind of unfair comparison.

There are few pros and cons as opposed to the 7770:

Pros:

• 2 more CUs (which are being customized further)
  • ESRAM
  • 256-bit memory interface
Cons:

• Runs 200MHz below 7770's core clock
  • Operates upon DDR3

So while it almost feels like the negatives and positive negate each other on paper, it's hard to tell if that'll be the case in practice, especially when devs keep on working at it for years to come.

But it has clowd.

Spongebob

Banned
What does this have to do with my post?

Kind of unfair comparison.

There are few pros and cons as opposed to the 7770:

Pros:

• 2 more CUs (which are being customized further)
  • ESRAM
  • 256-bit memory interface
Cons:

• Runs 200MHz below 7770's core clock
  • Operates upon DDR3

So while it almost feels like the negatives and positive negate each other on paper, it's hard to tell if that'll be the case in practice, especially when devs keep on working at it for years to come.
FLOPS wise they are similar (1.23TFLOPS for the XBone vs 1.28TFLOPS for the 7770).

Cidd

Was this really necessary?

Talk about an overreaction, All he said was the gap was substantial in that benchmark result geez.

And two wrongs make a right?

be the better man.

Its not really wrong for gaf to do an overreaction. Its just that they are taking it without thinking of the big picture.

When one stands and takes the bullets there are those out in the back in the same department who will have to take a stand eventually if you know what I mean.

Its a force move regardless of what happens

beast786

Its not really wrong for gaf to do an overreaction. Its just that they are taking it without thinking of the big picture.

When one stands and takes the bullets there are those out in the back in the same department who will have to take a stand eventually if you know what I mean.

Its a force move regardless of what happens

What?

Microsoft were pretty elusive about the GPU at the reveal which I found interesting.

Another thing I noticed is Sony released the full specifications in detail on Feb 20th, correct me if am wrong but MS haven't done the same right?

Cidd

MS is taking heat for the same thing that Sony is going to have to stand up and be counted for as well.

They have not made final decisions on the subject either.

I thought this was about the console specs, when did the DRM argument come into this thread?

I think you need to take a break from GAF, You're taking these things way too seriously.

TheD

The Detective
A 7770 doesn't have an eSRAM cache to be fair.

Xbox 360 had GPU reserved, and so will PS4. MS should just keep their mouths shut like Sony, who no doubt have a similar if not identical OS footprint/reserve with PS4. And DRM.

That's not how it works for graphics processing, "everything else" doesn't need much bandwidth. The GPU gets effectively 170GB/s.

That is how it works!

Everything needs to be loaded by the GPU each frame, including art assets. Having low GPU main memory bandwidth like that will limit how much data can be in each frame for a given frame rate.

i-Lo

MS is taking heat for the same thing that Sony is going to have to stand up and be counted for as well.

What does that have to do with the factual power gap between the two resulting in your hyperbolic outburst?

Cidd

Microsoft where pretty elusive about the GPU at the reveal which I found interesting.

Another thing I noticed is Sony released the full specifications in detail on Feb 20th, correct me if am wrong but MS haven't done the same right?

They've released specs but didn't go into any details about it. It's pretty much the VGleaks Durango specs we all know.

They've released specs but didn't go into any details about it. It's pretty much the VGleaks Durango specs we all know.

So, going from those specs, Playstation 4 should have the better performing games I assume ? Those Xbox specs are disappointing to me, I expected a little bit better.

As long as their are good games who cares if the system is less powerful than WII U. Gaf is so disappointing sometimes. Its like really who gives a @$#@ if the system is not powerful. Does that mean you wont get good games? NO

This is a spec comparison thread. And you're telling people not to compare them. Any other threads we're not supposed to make?

Pistolero

Well, the should have kept their PR people on a leash. Don't blame the gaming community for things MS brought up to the discussion!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What does the power gap have anything to do with the systems success?

This is the Nintendo line of defense. It's the Alamo. And while it worked for the Wii it wasn't quite so successful second time out. There are many factors that lead to the success or failure of a console. Some more than others. Power really can matter. And timing. And price. And message. It all factors. And whatever game can be made on weaker hardware can be made better on more capable hardware. No company has a monopoly on creativity. But every game designer eventually hits a technological wall, a point where the hardware says, "Sorry, no further" and they have to start making compromises. Hard choices, sometimes. And cuts. With more power, you get to push further before you start making compromises. I believe it's great games that ultimately sell consoles and lead to success. Even with a shaky start, a console with enough must-have games will get back into the race. And a power gap (all other things equal) allows devs to create best versions of great mutliplatform titles, or fantastic first party exclusives. Power matters. It's not all there is to it, but it's still a factor.

People saying power doesn't matter... well lets just say I wonder about their motivations.

Top Bottom