• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: "Only 90% of Xbox One GPU usable for games"- PS4 GPU up to 66% more powerful?

Goku won fighting tournaments and saved the universe.

Vegeta was a prince, why would he get a job?
beside the ones bulma gave him

So silly.

Goku may have won prize money ONCE, but it can't last forever. Also nobody knows he saves the universe except his clique. Just because he saved the universe doesn't mean he's gonna get a free steak at a restaraunt.

Vegata is the prince of a planet that no longer exists. I can tell you I'm a prince from the land of Zabu. Doesn't exist anymore so that status is now worthless.

RayMaker

Banned
Surprising that it needs 10% of the GPU and 2 cores.

I still think we will only see minor visual differences for the first year,

due to devs getting used to the new architecture.

I bet all the fan boys will believe Kotaku now.

To be fair, Kotaku only said that the Xbox One can access 90% of the Xbox One GPU, the part about the PS4 GPU being up to 66% more powerful was from me, sorry if that wasn't clear enough. But I guess it's most likely true (more or less) - I haven't heard anything like that for any other console ever. I have edited the topic to make it clearer.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I didn't mean to derail anything but measuring "power" in percentages is hilarious in the first place and tells us very little.

squidyj

I seriously doubt ps4 is going to have anywhere near as much reservation as XB1 but I wonder what features of the OS have we seen from PS4? I mean we know that it's always recording but as I understand it it has dedicated hardware for that.

Hate to be the voice of reason again but I'm sure it's likely PS4 will do the same thing.

Better recalculate those all important percentages again Gemuse.

I-hate-u

Oh no sir

Ten Shin Han > Krillin > Yamcha

Fixed

Like others said he got stronger during the Freeza saga. Also Yamcha said that Krillin is the strongest human on earth in the beginning of the Buu saga.

For me:
PS4= Goku
Wii-U= Gohan (Has potential that will show in due time)
X1 = Vegeta

Codeblew

but the power of the cloud.

You make a good point. With the power of the cloud, the XB1 will experience 4X the power it normally would. This is simple math. For Instance, Microsoft says that the XB1 is 10x more powerful than the XB360 without the use of the cloud. BUT! BUT! WITH the power of the cloud, the XB1 is 40X!!!!! more powerful than the XB360. So that gives us 4X more power when the power of the cloud is taken into account. Sony is doomed unless they figure out how to harness the until now untapped power of the cloud.

strata8

I'd be willing to bet that each console reserves the equivalent of 1 CU for the OS and other apps (90% of the XONE GPU is 10.8/12 CUs). That's about the same power as a smartphone GPU, easily enough to handle the rendering of the OS at 1080p. So that's 17 CUs for the PS4 and 11 CUs for the XONE.

I seriously doubt ps4 is going to have anywhere near as much reservation as XB1 but I wonder what features of the OS have we seen from PS4? I mean we know that it's always recording but as I understand it it has dedicated hardware for that.

PS4 already has 2 cores reserved (Killzone SF slides) confirmed. 3GB reserved for PS4 OS is likely based on some posts from a developer and the way ERP (works for Sony) is acting on B3D.

I think it doesn't take a rocket scientist to assume they'll reserve from the GPU as well if MS is doing it it must be a desirable/necessary thing.

Espada

I think in general we'll see the PS4 reserve fewer resources than the Xbox One simply because one is a gaming console that does some multimedia stuff and the other is a multimedia center that does some gaming. Different priorities would lead to different setups, much like how Sony went full-tilt with the PS4's specs.

Mark Cerny has already said the PS4's OS uses 1GB and the rest is for gaming. I don't understand the notion that Sony is just going to ape or mirror Microsoft.

So all 100% of PS4 GPU usable for games ?

We honestly don't know. However, it's unlikely. At some point the OS will need to display system dialogues, a guide like the 360, etc. They don't want those coming out of the developers budget because it means it's not predictable how much GPU power you are able to use, so they will likely reserve a portion for the OS. It would be a pain for developers to have to test as well if it was a part of their budget.

Forza 5 and Quantum Break were confirmed to be running on the dev kits, and I thought those looked fantastic. The GPU certainly doesn't look like it's lacking in power.

Daingurse

Oh no sir

Ten Shin Han > Krillin > Yamcha

Fixed

NodOfApproval.gif

Tien held back Semi-Imperfect Cell, what does Krillin do? Die and fuck up, that's what.

PS4: Super Vegeta

Xbone: Semi-Imperfect Cell

Wii-U: Tien (has a lot of heart, but he's only Human?)

Hate to be the voice of reason again but I'm sure it's likely PS4 will do the same thing.

Of course some PS4 resources will be used for the system too.

By the way: The Wii U has a dedicated little ARM-CPU for the OS and input events so that PowerPC is 100% useable for the games.

Espada

can't gaikai do the same as ms "the cloud" nonsense? Of course it's BS, but just asking.

Probably, and if Krazy Ken were still running the Playstation show he'd spouting things similar to Microsoft about the Cloud. In reality the Cloud can't do anything like they're suggesting and it's not worth your attention.

squidyj

I think it's ridiculous that the PS4 is going reserve the same percentage of performance if its pulling that percentage from a larger pool and its OS is doing less overall. If ps4 reserved 10% of its gpu performance that would be 50% more performance reserved than the XBone. The XBone needs that shit to be able to run all of its apps and app video things all of the time. I find it unlikely that the ps4 would need as much performance as the XBone but if the PS4 reserved the exact same amount as the XBone (0.12 Teraflops) you would get (1.8 - 0.12) / (1.2 - 0.12) = 1.55~ or approximately 56% faster

so I think it would be a pretty safe ballpark to say the psu has somewhere between 56% and 66% more flops available to it when compared to the XBone.

BOOM!

Never ASSume anything as it could make you eat crow.

:p

perhaps you'd like to identify the features in the PS4 OS that would have the potential to eat up additional GPU FlOPS over and above what the XBone has. Anything beyond that is just speculation and I don't see any point in entertaining it.

If it turns around and reserves 10% of ps4 GPU then so be it but I find it unlikely and there are very good reasons I should find it unlikely.

Globox_82

Banned
Yeah, I like how "it's all BS" but in the next breath "Gakai can do the same thing".

Wait I thought it was all BS.

O grow up. I mean it's the same "cloud" thing. Gaikai and ms equivalent. They are both cloud service (?) that's what I meant. and if that is the case, what prevents the other one from doing the same that's all.
But I added that it sounds like bs anyways, it's just makes easier to call out MS when the other side has the same device.

Gaikai is video, MS's cloud is pure calculations... they're quite different beasts

Ok thanks, this is what I was wondering

Guymelef

tumblr_m5u7ervZoO1ryf7dio1_500.gif

Top Bottom