• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: "Only 90% of Xbox One GPU usable for games"- PS4 GPU up to 66% more powerful?

P44

Surprising that it needs 10% of the GPU and 2 cores.

I still think we will only see minor visual differences for the first year,

due to devs getting used to the new architecture.

There's little to get used to tbh. It's just a slightly modified x86 system. Any dev thats got PC experience would be extremely at home.

tumblr_m5u7ervZoO1ryf7dio1_500.gif

:lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If PS4 reserves the same amount in absolute terms, it would bump the difference for games to 55%, not 66%. Fillrate to something like 111%.

Does the constrained state mean if you snap an app to the game, you can no longer interact with the game?

I assume in the case of something like Skype you can 'minimise' skype to the background to continue playing the game, while still audio chatting to someone.

reezoo

so now we have

1.1TF XBone x 4 clouds + secret sauce = actual power of XBone

Looks like MS is all set to dominate apple, google, sony and nintendo.

One bone to rule them all

PS4 already has 2 cores reserved (Killzone SF slides) confirmed. 3GB reserved for PS4 OS is likely based on some posts from a developer and the way ERP (works for Sony) is acting on B3D.

I think it doesn't take a rocket scientist to assume they'll reserve from the GPU as well if MS is doing it it must be a desirable/necessary thing.

Your full of nonsense like usual .

If PS4 reserves the same amount in absolute terms, it would bump the difference for games to 55%, not 66%. Fillrate to something like 111%.

Does the constrained state mean if you snap an app to the game, you can no longer interact with the game?

I assume in the case of something like Skype you can 'minimise' skype to the background to continue playing the game, while still audio chatting to someone.
Yes, constrained means you can't interact. So it looks like you can't snap a Skype video call in while gaming. That's basing off their explanation of it.

Gemüsepizza;58981249 said:
http://kotaku.com/the-five-possible-states-of-xbox-one-games-are-strangel-509597078

It was already mentioned in another thread but it didn't get that much attention, although I find it pretty surprising: According to Kotaku, the Xbox One can only access 90% of the GPU ressources for games (1.107 TFLOPS).

So I think if the PS4 doesn't reserve a similar, noticable amount, which doesn't seem to be that far-fetched in my opinion, this would make the PS4 GPU not 50% but 66% more powerful (or the Xbox One GPU 40% less powerful, instead of 33%). Please lock if unnecessary.

Makes sense considering the intense multitasking that it seems to do. Too bad it takes away from the games which is what actually matters for a gaming console.

MaulerX

Where in that Kotaku article does it say the Ps4's GPU is 66% more powerful? I couldn't find it. There's too much fud going around. I'm going to wait for E3 and let the games be the judge.

itsgreen

Where in that Kotaku article does it say the Ps4's GPU is 66% more powerful? I couldn't find it. There's too much fud going around. I'm going to wait for E3 and let the games be the judge.

It's just OP making up sensationalist headlines...

1.1 vs 1.8 means that PS4 GPU is 66% better

Mind you that that happens in the situation where PS4 dedicates 100% of its resources to gaming. You know, that thing that is not going to happen...

Klocker

We honestly don't know. However, it's unlikely. At some point the OS will need to display system dialogues, a guide like the 360, etc. They don't want those coming out of the developers budget because it means it's not predictable how much GPU power you are able to use, so they will likely reserve a portion for the OS. It would be a pain for developers to have to test as well if it was a part of their budget.

Forza 5 and Quantum Break were confirmed to be running on the dev kits, and I thought those looked fantastic. The GPU certainly doesn't look like it's lacking in power.

I agree , PS4 has to reserve some power they have a bunch of multitask shit going on too, wait til E3.

Also. I think coming from this gen console to XONE is going to be quite a jump. If your games and services and friends are there too I don't see how it makes that much difference graphically, especially when we don't know how the extra helper chips and memory systems will end up closing the power gap a little bit.

Only way I can see myself bothering is if I have both and A/B switch them which I won't do probably so I can be very happy with what 8-10x power of 360
no need for 40x ;)

It doesn't.

The PS4's GPU is 50% more powerful going on the current figures.

This allocation would give the 66%.

can't gaikai do the same as ms "the cloud" nonsense? Of course it's BS, but just asking.

No, Gaikai is cloud rendering (the game is run completely on the server, only the controller input is sent to the server, and you get a rendered frame back). Essentially their servers are just racks of PS3's, it doesn't provide any additional computational power to the game. XBL is cloud computing. It's likely (or confirmed?) to be running on Azure. At its largest size, a single Azure instance can be 8 cores, 14 GB of RAM. So you'll have 8 cores, 8GB locally, and an additional 8 cores, 14GB ram in the cloud, which could be used for whatever the developer wants. The simple use case will be dedicated servers for MP games, in which case there won't be any tangible improvements in graphics or physics, however it is possible that you could have much larger player counts on servers since you no longer are doing P2P. Over time developers will likely be doing cooler things with it, including advanced AI, persistent worlds, advanced physics, more natural speech recognition (what if you could talk to NPC's in a natural way like Siri or Google Now?), etc... It's a very new space which is why it's hard to point to good examples of this. Sim City was one of the first and it wasn't exactly a shining example because they failed to have proper scaling mechanisms, which is why the cloud is so useful in the first place... have higher demand? simply add more instances, and they shut down when the demand goes down. This is also very cost saving to the developer. Creating a backend for most games costs lots of money (5-6 figures just on hardware, not including maintenance, etc). Now that MS is in charge of maintenance, the developers just pay for time used on the servers, which saves them a lot of money.

Give it time and we'll see some fantastic uses of it. The GDC talks about it are going to be really interesting over the years too as developers continue to explore new ideas about how to use this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MS will need to reserve more absolute GPU power than Sony because they need to be able to run a game in snap mode while displaying overlays of Skype/IE etc. from what little we've seen of the PS4 OS, it is more like PS3 with simple overlays for notifications. That requires almost nothing and could actually be handled by the CPU. When you go into the OS properly, the game can pause so you can use as much GPU as you need.

So Sony probably do reserve some, but it'll be a lot less than MS in absolute terms, which is even less in percentage terms - I'd guess less than 5%

strata8

MS will need to reserve more absolute GPU power than Sony because they need to be able to run a game in snap mode while displaying overlays of Skype/IE etc. from what little we've seen of the PS4 OS, it is more like PS3 with simple overlays for notifications. That requires almost nothing and could actually be handled by the CPU. When you go into the OS properly, the game can pause so you can use as much GPU as you need.

No.

...but your 5% figure wouldn't be too far off the mark.

At least Yamcha got a job. Did Goku or Vegeta ever work? At least Yamcha played Baseball.

Well, Vegeta worked for Frieza for up until he betrayed him. Does that count? Besides, he didn't need to work, he was married to Bulma, part of the richest family in the world. He was set. And I guess if the Xbox is Vegeta, this this comparison kinda makes sense. Vegeta may be bested by Goku (PS4), but he's still the second strongest and is backed by his billionaire wife (MS), so he'll be fine.

As far as Goku goes, well, he was dead/not on Earth half the time anyway. And what's the point of working when people are constantly trying to kill you or blow up the planet?

lmao

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yes, constrained means you can't interact. So it looks like you can't snap a Skype video call in while gaming. That's basing off their explanation of it.

Sort of off topic here, but thinking about Skype, I'm wondering : where is the friends list in the Xbox One OS?

bfbad38b-e3b1-4119-b5f5-f027ee3efa0f.jpg

Espada

Does the xbone have dedicated hardware for streaming and recording as well? And is standby a feature?

We know the PS4 has some dedicated hardware for it, and the Xbox One likely does given that it's much more focused on multimedia consumption.

Well, in fairness, they have to reserve 2 CPU cores and 10% of the GPU for important stuff:

- Displaying Doritos ads.

- Using Kinnect to figure out how many people are in the room so they know how much money to charge Frito-Lay for displaying the aforementioned Doritos ads.​

See? Important stuff.

What does that power deficit matter when you can check the TV guide while you're taking a Skype call all while your playing your favourite Xbone game? That's what the people want.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Maybe they just shoehorn it in under games?

Seems strange, It was a root level category before (or, pre last update it was...), and interacting with friends is/was a cross media thing.

Will there still be party chat or are they replacing that with Skype? If so, will Skype on Xbox One integrate 'game' related info and functionality? Replace the friends list entirely?

2MF

What does that power deficit matter when you can check the TV guide while you're taking a Skype call all while your playing your favourite Xbone game? That's what the people want.

Don't forget Internet Explorer. Clearly people are tired of using their smartphones and tablets to browse the Internet.

Top Bottom