• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Matthew23

These rumors almost force Sony to come out and say something. I imagine their console sales taking a hit until there is some clarification on whether their current machine will be replaced in a year.

kennyamr

Is there any chance for this to be part of the old Gaikai aka the new PlayStation "cloud" ?

Just like Microsoft started using their "cloud" to improve some games' functionality a few months ago.

Maybe just maybe, this would be part of a new improved PlayStation Store and a Playstation Plus service.

For example, maybe Sony will try something like this:

Any game people buy directly from the PlayStation Store will be optimized and improved with the help of the cloud.
Better resolution, better graphics, and more raw power for developers to "enhance" their games (more like Definitive editions of current PS4 games) compared to retail PS4 discs (and more aligned to their PC counterparts).

Maybe this PS4.5 thing is just some kind of new feature coming to every PS4 instead of a new console per se.

AndrewPL

For me, this model of releasing upgrades to current gen consoles kills console gaming. I currently have a laptop that barely plays pc game and had no interest in upgrading it so I could play more games.
With these rumors, the next path looks to just buy a desktop pc, it might cost a bit more and involve upgrading parts at some point but at least you don't need a new box every 2 years.

These rumors almost force Sony to come out and say something. I imagine their console sales taking a hit until there is some clarification on whether their current machine will be replaced in a year.

Let's not talk crazy now lol Idk why I laughed so hard... A rumor having an impact on sales..

giphy.gif

Lupercal

Banned

Less sales because some guy on the internet started a rumour?

Come on mang.

The God

Is there any chance for this to be part of the old Gaikai aka the new PlayStation "cloud" ?

Just like Microsoft started using their "cloud" to improve some games' functionality a few months ago.

Maybe just maybe, this would be part of a new improved PlayStation Store and a Playstation Plus service.

For example, maybe Sony will try something like this:

Any game people buy directly from the PlayStation Store will be optimized and improved with the help of the cloud.
Better resolution, better graphics, and more raw power for developers to "enhance" their games (more like Definitive editions of current PS4 games) compared to retail PS4 discs (and more aligned to their PC counterparts).

Maybe this PS4.5 thing is just some kind of new feature coming to every PS4 instead of a new console per se.

The author of the story talked about a new GPU so it wouldn't be a new feature.

So you if you didn't currently own a PS4 and were considering purchasing one, can you honestly say these rumors would have no effect on your decision? Smart move would be to hold off until more info comes out.

The common Joe doesn't know about every single rumor that goes on Gaf and let alone on the Internet.

rjinaz

So you if you didn't currently own a PS4 and were considering purchasing one, can you honestly say these rumors would have no effect on your decision? Smart move would be to hold off until more info comes out.

Yes it would. But the amount of people that would do this, mostly people on gaf and such that probably already have a ps4, should not have a noticeable effect on ps4 sales.

Sid

So only the GPU will be upgraded, not the CPU or the RAM? hopefully the controller has a bigger battery this time around.

The average consumer will have no idea this story even exists. Even if Sony came right out and said it, I imagine it would take some time before a noticeable impact would be felt.

ShutterMunster

advance for consoles comes 5-7 years. if you're looking for incremental advancement, that comes with PC gaming. and on the flipside, just because you're not the only one onboard, doesn't mean it's the best idea either.

"TRADITION! TRADITION! TRADITION!"

Paradigms should constantly be re-evaluated. The industry isn't the same as it used to be, it may not make sense to continue on as usual.

I just wish zoetis would give us a little more info. My question is, how is it possible for a ps4 game (not counting indies) to output native 4k when $1500 dollar gpu's struggle? Some voodoo magic?

The answer is Zoetis is bullshitting

or Sony is about to release a very expensive system lmao

This has been answered countless times.

First off klepek confirmed on twitter multiple sources confirmed to him there is 4k gaming. The next thing is doing indies or non graphic intensive games at 4k technically means yes it can do 4k gaming.

Its an easy PR bullet for them to say hey look it can do 4k, just like how with ps3 they claimed 1080p when only a small handful of games actually played at that resolution.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The answer is Zoetis is bullshitting

or Sony is about to release a very expensive system lmao

I think there's a big miscommunication here and no one is actually bs. Patric tweeted that what he heard is specifically 4K for gaming.. I don't know how is that possible without this thing priced outrageously high?

Paradigms should constantly be re-evaluated. The industry isn't the same as it used to be, it may not make sense to continue on as usual.
as far as I can tell the best way to gauge is by sales, and the Ps4 and xbone have been consistently outpacing the sales of their predecessors. This is one tradition that is clearly breaking a lot of people's spirits.

On the flip side, some traditions are there for a reason.

Like, buttons. Re-evaluating "tradition" is what led to stuff like waggle and Kinect.

RK128

Let's not talk crazy now lol Idk why I laughed so hard... A rumor having an impact on sales..

giphy.gif

Why is it funny? I'm not getting a PS4 this year now and will likely get a NX next year instead until this supposed PS4.5 releases :l.

This rumor did damage and people in the gaming scene are now wary about getting a PS4 now if they didn't own one already.

I think there's a big miscommunication here and no one is actually bs. Patric tweeted that what he heard is specifically 4K for gaming.. I don't know how is that possible without this thing priced outrageously high?

Twist 4K gaming only relagated to indies
Kappa

Why is it funny? I'm not getting a PS4 this year now and will likely get a NX next year instead until this supposed PS4.5 releases :l.

This rumor did damage and people in the gaming scene are now wary about getting a PS4 now if they didn't own one already.

This doesn't harm the casual Joe, this paranoia is unwarranted. It's just a ps4 with a 4K chip upscaler.. Do people forget how expensive 4K gaming is? This whole conversation is silly until hard facts are shown.

It isn't even possibly from a technological standpoint. You need something on the level of a GTX 980 Ti to achieve "playability" at 4K and even then I am sure you need to turn some settings down. Oh, and forget getting a SoC with a 980 Ti on board.

pswii60

For me, this model of releasing upgrades to current gen consoles kills console gaming. I currently have a laptop that barely plays pc game and had no interest in upgrading it so I could play more games.
With these rumors, the next path looks to just buy a desktop pc, it might cost a bit more and involve upgrading parts at some point but at least you don't need a new box every 2 years.
If this happens, all PS4 games will work on both boxes.

RK128

Twist 4K gaming only relagated to indies
Kappa

This doesn't harm the casual Joe, this paranoia is unwarranted. It's just a ps4 with a 4K chip upscaler.. Do people forget how expensive 4K gaming is?

It doesn't matter if 4K is expensive or not, will not get a PS4 until Sony states more info on this news :l.

I don't have the funds to get two PS4's man :'(.

StoopKid

If sales actually go down with uncharted 4 and all the other exclusives. I'll be shocked.

RK128

If sales actually go down with uncharted 4 and all the other exclusives. I'll be shocked.

Sales won't take a massive nose dive for the casual joe but people like me who are invested in gaming but don't have a massive amount of money might not be too keen on getting a PS4 with this rumor floating around :l.

But you don't need a new box every 2 years if you already own a PS4. I don't know why so many people assume their old PS4s will become brick and lose the gaming functionality even though PS4 and PS4.5 will be likely to share the very same game libraries, which means games that run on PS4 will totally run on PS4.5 and vice versa.

Counterpoint- the Xbox One reveal was a complete disaster on every front because MS abandoned the tradition of consoles not requiring an internet connection, allowing consumers to freely buy/sell/whatever used games. Sometimes traditions make a lot of sense.

Why is so many people are so sure about this? This is probably just a rumor or another name for ps5. I do expect this gen to be much shorter than the ps3/360 era. We probably have at most 2 years before ps5 comes out imo.

It doesn't matter if 4K is expensive or not, will not get a PS4 until Sony states more info on this news :l.

I don't have the funds to get two PS4's man :'(.

All I can say is don't and wait until e3 then. I'm just laughing here at the notion of 4K gaming at affordable pricing.. It's just a sku with a 4K upscaler no secret sauce. Or you expecting Sony to come out and say 4K native gaming at 899.99? Lol

RK128

All I can say is don't and wait until e3 then. I'm just laughing here at the notion of 4K gaming at affordable pricing.. It's just a sku with a 4K upscaler no secret sauce.

Will wait until E3 before I decide to get a PS4 or no then. Thank you for the advice buddy :).

The sales likely won't be impacted, they will lose a handful of gamers who are on top of the stuff but nothing substantial. That being said without a price drop and clearing stock they will be stuck with a ton of these, the top SKU always sells the most.

It isn't even possibly from a technological standpoint. You need something on the level of a GTX 980 Ti to achieve "playability" at 4K and even then I am sure you need to turn some settings down. Oh, and forget getting a SoC with a 980 Ti on board.

What if the game is spelunky or binding if Isaac?

What if no PS4.5 is ever released, either because this story was wrong or Sony doesn't go through with it? You will have missed out, all because of a Kotaku rumor of all things.

RK128

What if no PS4.5 is ever released, either because this story was wrong or Sony doesn't go through with it? You will have missed out, all because of a Kotaku rumor of all things.

More money I save I suppose :).

Got a PS3 very late in the game (2011), so don't mind getting a PS4 around the launch of the PS5 or whatever.

LostDonkey

Huh?

1.04b can support it through 3D processing, and 2.0 most definitely supports it for 3D and 2D. The TV/monitor and video card has to support it as well, but it can support it and is not 'limited' by the tech, just manufacturers have to have 2.0 support in the ports.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2113-hdmi-interface-questions-addressed-1080p-120hz

That's 60hz per eye which is calculated at 120hz. It isn't a native 120hz. This is why the reprojection unit is needed, because it can't be done straight through hdmi natively.

RK128

All I can say is don't and wait until e3 then. I'm just laughing here at the notion of 4K gaming at affordable pricing.. It's just a sku with a 4K upscaler no secret sauce. Or you expecting Sony to come out and say 4K native gaming at 899.99? Lol

Sony WAS the company with the 600$ console in 2006, so you never know man.

Matthew23

Type the characters "PS4" into google and you will likely see multiple 4.5 hits on the first page, I do anyways. If casual Joe is thinking of picking up a PS4 and does a simple search to check price or availability in their area, or whatever, he is going to come across these articles.

Maybe this is just the rumor of the day and will be forgotten in a week so no big deal, but maybe not. Come on Sony. Spill it!

Holy SHIT at the moral panic in this thread. Can you people just calm down?

Likelihood is that if this is a "PS4K" and will retail for $399-$499, it'll be the following:

- An incremental upgrade to the current PS4 that is "4K Ready", and able to consume 4K media content, as well as play a very small handful of games in 4K, a bit like how PS3 has a handful of 1080p games.

- In terms of upgrades to current gen gaming, it'll at BEST, be able to play most AAA games going forward at a slightly higher resolution and framerate. For example: Battlefield 5 will run at 1080p/60fps as opposed to 900p/60fps. Assets, textures etc will remain more or less the same across both SKUs. It will be nowhere near a generational leap.

- It will NOT preclude a perpetual state of cross generation. PS5 will be a huge leap over both PS4 and "PS4K".

- There will be no "PS4K" exclusive games. Sony isn't stupid.

GAF has turned hysteria into a profession, I swear.

Quoting myself for this new page. Again, what I've detailed above is almost assuredly what this will be, just based on pure common sense.

The sources for This are rock solid. Not even just zoetis Patrick klepek is very reliable.
If you don't know his sources, how could they be rock solid?

I disagree about Patrick. I distinctly remember him talking about how Sony was going to do the same kind of always online DRM for PS4 back in 2013, which ended up being false. He lost a lot of credibility with me.

Zoetis did correctly predict TLG at E3, but I don't know if that's enough for me to accept everything he/she says unconditionally.

Even if you're right though, the sources were rock solid, and Patrick did his due diligence, it still doesn't mean that this is something that will definitely happen. The article even says one source says that these talks were exploratory in nature and it may not happen until next year. Sony could be considering it, and then decide against it at a later date.

Top Bottom