• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

It's not contracting for Sony as their getting record sales, it's contracting for their competition. And you still haven't pointed out any facts on how PC gaming is contributing to this. Unless you're going to argue that soccer moms who played Wii Sports 10 years ago would rather buy GTX 970's today instead.

Soccer Moms that played Wii Sports are on their IPhone and Ipad now. PC is slowly taking that core demo and a surprisingly growing number of younger gamers.

MogCakes

PC is slowly taking that core demo and a surprisingly growing number of younger gamers.

The younger generations have picked up tech faster than any generation before it, faster than millenials. I wouldn't be surprised if they constitute a significant portion of the PC playerbase.

Daft Punk

Banned
It's not contracting for Sony as their getting record sales, it's contracting for their competition. And you still haven't pointed out any facts on how PC gaming is contributing to this. Unless you're going to argue that soccer moms who played Wii Sports 10 years ago would rather buy GTX 970's today instead.

Hey man, you gotta get those dinner recipes in 4K nowadays, dontcha know?

Soccer Moms that played Wii Sports are on their IPhone and Ipad now. PC is slowly taking that core demo and a surprisingly growing number of younger gamers.

Wait, I thought enthusiast GPU's are responsible for the contracting the home console market? Are you now saying the Soccer Moms who made the transition from the Wii to their iPhones and iPads and are now getting bored and gaming with GTX 970's now?

And again, why would Sony care about any of this when their home console market is as good as it has ever been? Sony doesn't care if console gamers are abandoning Nintendo. If anything, Sony is using their record success with home consoles to leverage their TV business. It's the exact same philosophy when they were at their height with the PS2 and try to use their console business shoe-horn Blu Ray.

alpha69

I don't really see the point for an upgrade so I don't care if Sony wants to do this. I don't really feel the need to upgrade my PS4. I have no complaints. So good for those who wants to. But if the benefits of upgrading are VERY good then I might consider it.

AmyS

I should point out that until Sony actually comment on this I'm generally sceptical of it - not least because they haven't even denied it yet to calm possible sales wobbles caused by people pausing over it.

Lets see if anyone from Sony makes a comment this week to deny it, or if nothing gets said.

At the very least PS4.5 / PS4K is a huge rumor right now and all the big gaming & tech sites have ran with it.

timmyp53

I don't really see the point for an upgrade so I don't care if Sony wants to do this. I don't really feel the need to upgrade my PS4. I have no complaints. So good for those who wants to. But if the benefits of upgrading are VERY good then I might consider it.

More than reasonable response.

From historical durations of console generations, yeah. It's a reasonable expectation people have given it's how it has been. If it's to change, Sony will need to explain why and what this means going forward. The overly sarcastic adjectives are cute, but I'm not feeling that edgy-cool vibe you're trying to display.

The point he is trying to make is that that traditional console model hasnt been relevant for the past 10 years and arguably, never really existed.

There has always been upgraded models of current gen consoles pushed out to audiences and while the specs under the hood may have for the most part stayed the same, there has always been advantages to newer models pushed out mid cycle. Whether it be integration of addons, added memory or simply a much more efficent and cooler running design, there has always been an incentive to upgrade.

So yes, your assertion that a traditional console cycle is 5 years with fixed hardware is slightly rose tinted.

MogCakes

So yes, your assertion that a traditional console cycle is 5 years with fixed hardware is slightly rose tinted.

On average has been five years, there's no hard number. Slim version =/= full-on hardware upgrade. The point being, consumer expectation for these systems is that they will endure for an amount of time dependent on past user experience, hence the value placed on their investment. This doesn't just change overnight. It's a reasonable expectation to hold. Sony will need to handle its messaging carefully if it wants people onboard with an iterative model every few years. To claim that it's simple nostalgia is short-sighted and disingenuous to the conversation.

S1kkZ

maybe this was already discussed, but what about games like, just cause 3, asscreed unity, that suffer from really bad framerate drops because of the cpu. will they run better out of the box if the new ps4 came with a better cpu?

i mean, if you install an ssd, all ps4 games load faster without patches or further optimisations from the devs.

From historical durations of console generations, yeah. It's a reasonable expectation people have given it's how it has been. If it's to change, Sony will need to explain why and what this means going forward. The overly sarcastic adjectives are cute, but I'm not feeling that edgy-cool vibe you're trying to display.

Since the original Xbox being built from PC parts and having a 4 year lifespan the "traditional defacto console" people are referencing has been mutating and blurring. The 360 had a hard drive-less sku, and then there was the waggle-course correction later on, so a mid-gen PS4K upgraded sku for VR/4k doesn't feel entirely out of place in context of how last gen played out.

Some of the "expectation" related posts feel like people are clinging to these weird idealized memories of 16-bit consoles rather than what we've actually been playing for the last generation or two.

(Didn't mean to come off harsh, just sarcastic, sorry about that.)

On average has been five years, there's no hard number. Slim version =/= full-on hardware upgrade. The point being, consumer expectation for these systems is that they will endure for an amount of time dependent on past user experience, hence the value placed on their investment. This doesn't just change overnight. It's a reasonable expectation to hold. Sony will need to handle its messaging carefully if it wants people onboard with an iterative model every few years. To claim that it's simple nostalgia is short-sighted and disingenuous to the conversation.

Even if we ignore slim versions you are still ignoring the revisions in hardware that were made every generation. As we live in a much more information driven world now, its alot harder for a consumer to remain unaware of hardware revisions but to suggest that this is the first time this has happened is being ignorant.

Furthermore, nobody has given any indication that the very hardware you have bought will not endure for a "generation". Any assumption that the PS4 will be supplanted by PS4k is on you and actually runs counter to the very insider information in this thread.

Bottom line, iterative models in console gaming have existed long before this possible product and there is no indication that even if PS4k exists, the original will lose support. You can support legacy hardware and still improve on it.

I don't see this being called anything but PS4K. Too many good reasons not to.
yeah, and the more I read the thread, the more indifferent I'm becoming to it. An upgrade option mid gen is cool, adds more choice. It would be my second ps4 for another room in the house or something.

With that idiotic logic you are implying that only SONY is coming up and going forward with 4K standard.

I still don't get it. Why the push for 4K gaming all of a sudden. I don't think gamers are asking for 4K gaming. Most want solid 1080/60 performance before 4K. I can understand they want to maybe do it to support PSVR by having a more powerful PS4, but even that market is not proven yet. So why the push for a new PS4 model at this time. Why not wait to see if PSVR even really takes off before pushing a new PS4.5 down at users instead of PS5 down the road with better decisions. If this rumor is really true, Sony might shoot themselves in the foot again and lose money. Again nothing is for sure but it might not be a good move.

Dahaka

maybe this was already discussed, but what about games like, just cause 3, asscreed unity, that suffer from really bad framerate drops because of the cpu. will they run better out of the box if the new ps4 came with a better cpu?

i mean, if you install an ssd, all ps4 games load faster without patches or further optimisations from the devs.

Games need to be patched depending on the vsync implementation. If a game is fixed at 30fps then at least it will probably never go below 30 (if it did before) with better hardware but other than that we need to go higher.
A game like Tomb Raider 2013 would run a fluid 60fps instead of the variable right now.

I still don't get it. Why the push for 4K gaming all of a sudden. I don't think gamers are asking for 4K gaming. Most want solid 1080/60 performance before 4K. I can understand they want to maybe do it to support PSVR by having a more powerful PS4, but even that market is not proven yet. So why the push for a new PS4 model at this time. Why not wait to see if PSVR even really takes off before pushing a new PS4.5 down at users instead of PS5 down the road with better decisions. If this rumor is really true, Sony might shoot themselves in the foot again and lose money. Again nothing is for sure but it might not be a good move.

It's not about 4K gaming. It's about 4K compatibility for Blu Ray, streaming etc., HDMI 2.0 output blalbalblabla. Games can be output to 4K of course but that will not be the focus, just a possibility.

onQ123

I feel better knowing that when I get to the point where I want a better console I can go out & get it & start enjoying my games & multimedia in 4K.

S1kkZ

Games need to be patched depending on the vsync implementation. If a game is fixed at 30fps then at least it will probably never go below 30 (if it did before) with better hardware but other than that we need to go higher.

A game like Tomb Raider 2013 would run a fluid 60fps instead of the variable right now.

well, i would be ok with that. or killzone, second son... games with the option to unlock the framerate, would benefit.

MogCakes

Some of the "expectation" related posts feel like people are clinging to these weird idealized memories of 16-bit consoles rather than what we've actually been playing for the last generation or two.

(Didn't mean to come off harsh, just sarcastic, sorry about that.)

It's more their past experiences have given them expectations about their investment, as all things do in life. Gen 7 was long in the tooth, Gen 6 lasted around a half decade, Gen 5 the same. There's been precedent and a measure of consistency with those generations and that infers a lot towards expectations about current gen. Messaging comes into play to transition that mindset towards an iterative model.

Not something I'd be interested in for at least a few more years. I don't have a 4K TV anyway and haven't been thinking about getting one anytime soon.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
In my opinion, not without patching the games.

Yup, however if a game (like Just Cause 3) is already designed to run decent but chokes on current hardware then new hardware would improve it.

Not just the extremely bad ones either, games like Infamous SS received a patch for a lock @ 30fps option due to not being a smooth 60 which would also run better under new hardware as the 60fps is already enabled.

c0de

Yup, however if a game (like Just Cause 3) is already designed to run decent but chokes on current hardware then new hardware would improve it.

Not just the extremely bad ones either, games like Infamous SS received a patch for a lock @ 30fps option due to not being a smooth 60 which would also run better under new hardware as the 60fps is already enabled.

The question is how much the code is tied to the actual hardware and its timings. IF the code "runs free" and takes whatever it gets to get the "jobs" done, and the OS allows for it, then yes, then it could be that a game drops less than it did before.

So if one userbase is contracting and the other is growing it doesn't prove that the market is growing. It could still be in decline. It's just one userbase chose a different console this gen compared to last

The God

Sony is dominating in a contracting market. They will be the only hardware manufacturer to finish up Gen over Gen

Dedicated Hardware isn't "doomed" but it is significantly contracting. Thats just facts. The PS4 doing great doesn't change that. And the growth of PC gaming is just one of those factors

If it's not doomed then what is it?

The question is how much the code is tied to the actual hardware and its timings. IF the code "runs free" and takes whatever it gets to get the "jobs" done, and the OS allows for it, then yes, then it could be that a game drops less than it did before.

I think games like Just cause will run badly no matter the hardware. Its still pretty shit on PC last time I checked.

These are the games that people will point out and say "see, devs are not developing with PS4 in mind anymore..Sony cheated us!" When in reality the game is just an unoptimised POS.

I think for the most part, a PS4k will only be a good thing because most dev pipelines have been written with XB1 as the lowest common denominator. Microsofts move to UWP isnt going to change that.

Even if you imagine that devs will start moving to PS4k as a base, for that reason only, the PS4 version will have an acceptable level of performance 95% of the time.

MogCakes

Bottom line, iterative models in console gaming have existed long before this possible product and there is no indication that even if PS4k exists, the original will lose support. You can support legacy hardware and still improve on it.

This is the first time a full-on upgrade is being introduced as a mid-generation model in the console space (since it's being referred to as the 4.5), unless you can point to examples where the hardware was all around improved in specs. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I'm saying the OG PS4 will lose support. I don't see the iterative model working out long term. PC becomes far more attractive in that case.

Both Sony and MS had in mind to keep the same architecture going forward, we already knew this from both console reveals. That doesn't necessitate a frequent iterative refresh, so I'm curious to see their reasoning for it if this is the route they're taking.

This is the first time a full-on upgrade is being introduced as a mid-generation model in the console space (since it's being referred to as the 4.5), unless you can point to examples where the hardware was all around improved in specs. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I'm saying the OG PS4 will lose support. I don't see the iterative model working out long term. PC becomes far more attractive in that case.

Both Sony and MS had in mind to keep the same architecture going forward, we already knew this from both console reveals. That doesn't necessitate a frequent iterative refresh, so I'm curious to see their reasoning for it if this is the route they're taking.

Its not being introduced as a PS4.5. That is writers embellishment. It is also not a full on upgrade based on the rumors. It is going to have improved specs granted, but nothing has been suggested that it is not going to pretty much more than a upgrade of existing system. Infact for it to be sold under the PS4 umbrella, it must share alot with the original hardware.

As for seeing the iterative model working long term, until you have concrete confirmation exactly what Sonys plans are, you really cannot make an assessment of what is going to work or not. None of us can.

Even Microsofts public statements about the intergration of Xbox and windows leave a lot of unanswered questions in regards to execution. Nobody has the entire facts yet.

Not sure who's going to be more dissappointed: Those who think a new SKU will have no issues with 4k gaming or those who thought the PS4 they bought would be state-of-the-art for another 5-8 years...

MogCakes

Even Microsofts public statements about the intergration of Xbox and windows leave a lot of unanswered questions in regards to execution. Nobody has the entire facts yet.

Of course not, it's all speculation at this point. That's merely my view on the matter with the information we have and conjecture thrown about. This is an enthusiast forum dedicated to gaming after all. Does this new model mean a better CPU? GPU? We don't know. If, as people seem to be assuming, it is an improvement in both, that constitutes an increase in power spec that has not been seen in a mid-generation model refresh in past console systems. Perhaps I'm wrong on that and someone can provide examples where it occurred. As for system architecture, it's been known Sony and MS would likely keep their existing architecture going forward for backwards compatibility since the console reveals.

Not sure who's going to be more dissappointed: Those who think a new SKU will have no issues with 4k gaming or those who thought the PS4 they bought would be state-of-the-art for another 5-8 years...

I still have a 720p TV so go figure. What I am interested in is in greater frame rates at 1080p because the pity is that i went from PS3 to PS4 while keeping the resolution and didn´t see an improve in frame rates (while graphically the improvement is neither astounding), they are even worse that prior gen. Almost all the GPU juice went to improve the resolution (Carmack already advertised this when PS4 and XBOX one launched, this was a gen with improvements eaten by resolution increase). Those Jaguar cores are trash compared to Cell.
4K will be the marketing hook, but they are going to fight Microsoft movements.

MogCakes

State of the art? Nah, they were already underpowered coming out the gate. Thought the PS4 wouldn't have an N3DS pulled on it - that's a more apt comparison.

Gurish

Ya'll think we'll have a remastered The Order and Shadowfall on 4.5?

No, best case they will patch some old games to run better, most chance, wouldn't bother with most of them.

Third party might patch some of their popular games that are still being played like GTA5 and such.

Top Bottom