• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

M.D

Not at all. I've already said people are latching onto the 4k part of the article too much imo. You will likely see pretty much 0 AAA games at 4k on it

Eh it would be enough to help with VR, get a little better effects, and lock in 60fps on 1080p games for the most part. Thats a pretty nice upgrade

Or give developers even more effects to push at 30fps

El_Chino

I expect MS has their 'answer' ready as well. Phil Spencer did talk about possible upgradeable Xbox One plans. It all sounded like it was still very early days with those plans, but if Sony is actually coming with it this year, I reckon they have to keep up as well.

MS talked about this during their conference in February. Also, Phil drops some huge hints on Major Nelson's podcast from March 4th. http://majornelson.com/podcast/mnr-564-phil-spencer-spring-games-and-more/

To be fair, they haven't come right out and said anything official yet.
I knew they mentioned it, I meant that would be this make them force their hand and try to release it this year or early next year?

Which would make it, essentially, the PS5.

The only way this would work if Sony puts restrictions on using the extra power. "You can only have a PS4.5 title if you are running at 4K or running on PSVR at an average of 120fps". Something like that. Then those same titles would seemingly run on the PS4 also, just as lower resolutions and framerates.
That still sucks tho lol if i wanted to buy an inferior version i would buy a pc and a ps4 than get the ps4 version..now if this is true whether u just own a ps4 or not you still have the inferior version in your mind because another ps4 version is out there lol...o my head why u throwing these curve balls sony we was cool this gen

Looks like all those PS4 Stability Updates have finally paid off!

gnzx7SH.gif

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Kinda wish today was April 1st as this makes no sense.

Why? It makes perfect sense from where I'm standing. It looks like both MS and Sony are investigating the phone/tablet model for consoles. If they can keep the costs down, then the people who absolutely have to get the latest and greatest every year pad the bottom line for both companies.

I know people who absolutely have to get the latest iPhone or Android equivalent every year. Those phones are almost double the price of a new console.

Not at all. I've already said people are latching onto the 4k part of the article too much imo. You will likely see pretty much 0 AAA games at 4k on it

Eh it would be enough to help with VR, get a little better effects, and lock in 60fps on 1080p games for the most part. Thats a pretty nice upgrade
It will be Polaris 10 at minimum.Polaris 10 runs Hitman 1440p at 60fps.R390X territory and just enough for 4K.

Ok so let's say that you can insert any current PS4 game into the PS4.5, and it automatically display it at 60fps (if the game was 30), and with better AA or something like that.

I think I would be ok.

Edit: and developpers would still have to target the vanilla PS4, not the PS4.5.

Mediking

No, its just a more powerful PS4, I doubt any game would be developed EXCLUSIVELY for a PS4.5.
It will likely play all the same games, just at a higher resolution and framerate. Probably.

So.... we're gonna start seeing trailers start off with "only possible because of Playstation 4.5" and "Playstation 4.5 only game footage?"

Then there's gonna be the silly inevitable screenshot war WITHIN THE PLAYSTATION FANBASE of comparing Playstation 4.5 games' screenshots to Playstation 4 games' screenshots.

You are still getting a tone of good games on the system. Not being 100 percent exclusive will not change that. Unless you can only enjoy games that are exclusive. If you are a huge PC guy instead then the console is probably not for you and that's ok.

I bought the PS4 for exclusives (naughty dog ect), every other multi platform game if default PC gaming. It's not worth dropping another 500 bucks so soon.

big fake

In terms of PC graphics settings, what level of lets say, AF, AA, AO, DOF, Texture Filtering would get better by. From a medium to high setting? or low to medium setting? Whats something reasonable we can expect?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why? It makes perfect sense from where I'm standing. It looks like both MS and Sony are investigating the phone/tablet model for consoles. If they can keep the costs down, then the people who absolutely have to get the latest and greatest every year pad the bottom line for both companies.

I know people who absolutely have to get the latest iPhone or Android equivalent every year. Those phones are almost double the price of a new console.

True. If they can pull this off it makes more money for Sony and entrenches people into their ecosystem with forward/back compatibility. Having a big user base with PS4 is a good base to try it from

I'd happily buy a new console every 3 years. Waiting so long for PS4 was horrible

Practically speaking though - what can they do? If they stay on 28nm they can't go much bigger. And 16nm won't be mature enough for big chips in volume.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'd buy if they guarantee me that every game at 1080p will run at 60fps.

Otherwise I don't care about this.

Papacheeks

Banned
You do realize that developers have to target countless different configurations on PC right? I'm sure they can handle just 2 fixed platforms just fine.

Yea and that's why so many PC versions of games run great on all configs?

PC actually takes more work, which is why a lot of games that get ported, are done by third party sometimes.

If blizzard has a hard time getting Diablo 3 reaper of souls getting 1080p 60fps on xbox because of the weeker GPU, and needed extra engineers to get it done. I would say my comments have merit.

ANd blizzard are kings of optimization. How do you think someone like treyarch, evolution, or how about CD Project red who had a hell of a time performance wise, try and get Witcher 3 to work on all 4 configs, meaning xbox vanilla, PS4 vanilla, xbox enhanced, ps4 enhanced.

How much more work, time do you think is needs? How will maybe the different configs react with their game, if the gpu does something different memory wise, will that add more work to utilize it?

No one knows, but what I do know is there's a reason outside of just sales third party's did not want to develop on wii u. Different config.

Even though this enhanced PS4/XBOX will be same architecture might be same cpu but different gpu or vice versa or both, it's will add to work flow.

Stike

I survived this fucking PS4 launch stampede just to see people who buy later get the same games running better? Seriously?

This is going on to be PC territory. Know where it started. This is the new horse armor. It only gets worse from here on. Screw those idiots.

gamz

So.... we're gonna start seeing trailers start off with "only possible because of Playstation 4.5" and "Playstation 4.5 only game footage?"

Then there's gonna be the silly inevitable screenshot war WITHIN THE PLAYSTATION FANBASE of comparing Playstation 4.5 games' screenshots to Playstation 4 games' screenshots.

No bro. All games will be played on both consoles. The newer one runs it better.

Pennywise

Sure thing. I'm just giving some examples of what all could be done with it. If Sony put out a 3TF PS4 with a bit better CPU it would be worth the upgrade
The question what would happen with existing users is still open though and I'm really curious how they could pull it off.

max-pain

One stupid theory:

The 14/16nm die shrink of the PS4 SoC would be pad limited with the 256 bit memory bus (you can't go under 190mm2). So they made the gpu part bigger. They will disable what is over the PS4 specification for the standard model, but the PS4.5 can use the full chip.

I am baffled that so many people in here seem to think Sony is going to abandon the 40 million PS4 owners, give them the finger, and shift focus so quickly away from one of the most successful products they have ever launched and literally one of the only highlights of the company, profit wise, over the last few years. Makes no sense that they would do this. So much doom and gloom.

A ps4.5, executed correctly, would be great for everyone.

How does this fragment the userbase? I reckon aslong a game is for the PS4-line, it has to work on all variations. It will actually extend the duration of this gen if you ask me, so OG PS4 owners will get even more out of their system. A mid-gen hardware upgrade isn't that bad imo, but if it is every year (or two years) it gets problematic for me.
Once they have a few exclusive PS4.5 games, it would be a problem. They're copying Sega if they go this route. The current PS4 can't do 4K, so their would be games that are *exclusive* to the PS4.5.

Sony would screw over PSVR too. Its either PSVR or a console with better visuals. The consumer will be even more confused on which to get. If Sony wants VR to succeed, its wiser to stick to their PS4 than simply introducing more upgraded hardware. Not everyone is gonna upgrade either.

Top Bottom