• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku UK Rumor: Xbox One, Windows 10, Halo 5, & Minecraft notably below expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkyJoe

..hardly the case, given that Activision's practically turned call of duty into fucking halo for the last two games. No, I don't think that's the reason.

I really think they need to mix up the enemy, same shit, different background.

Kayant

The article paints two pictures:

One is that MGS is in financial trouble because their sales are well bellow expectations, even their big hitters are underperforming.

The other is that xbone and win store are failed platforms and they couldn't see those platforms making the game viable.

So, when the math was made they decided to cancel the game.

I dunno, sales target are an obvious strong reason to cancel a game, but I don't think it would be the only one. Phil himself implied when the game missed the spring showcase that he felt quality just wasn't there. The game would miss the launch date for the nTh time, and Phil also said that he wasn't too happy with the engagement figures he was reading from tests. Fable Legends was born out of a Push made by the bad Phil, one that blew in Ms' faces, and that the good phil is trying to get away from.

Of course xbox is underperforming, I don't know if the store is underperforming. It's not doing great, no argument there, but they couldn't possibly have big targets for it considering how there's little to no great content there and Tomb Raider was just the first high profile game they released, not to mention the state of the store.

I mean, Ms knew the issues the store had, there was plenty of feedback in the insider preview, they knew the store lacks features because they were already planning to add those features when the store would be merged with the xbone's, they know there was no content and they knew Tomb Raider was going to be the first high profile game, because to support AAA games on the store windows needed one update that was brought to consumers in last November. There's no way any sane reason would think that the store will sell games like hotcakes back then.

Fable Legends not meeting their expectations are a much more likely reason for its cancellation than just Ms giving up because they realized their platforms are failed just a few months ago. Sounds to me the ex employee is just looking for someone else to blame.

As for the guys you quote, i have no idea who they are, are they in a position to know what they are saying?
In terms of fable legends I don't follow the project too much so can't comment but from this article it's likely due to the project going to many stages/taking longer than expected and because of the audience being much lower than the projections they don't see them making money back well at least not for a very long time probably.

Now to the store without knowing their expectations it's hard to see how realistically they were thinking their actions were going to help to establish the store. Whilst we may have more "grounded" expectations we don't know how much they projected their actions to lead to the platform selling software like "hotcakes".

In terms of the posters -

Matt is a well know dev that have been kind to give us info for a while can't say how much in position he his to know the data but he was th first to say XB1 internally has been referred to be a "disaster".

John has his tag shows knows his stuff has shared things from NPD hints to market deal iirc. So I very much believe he could have access to that kind of data.

Rares sales track record on everything not Kinect Sports + Xbox One install base + Xbox One demographics + likely UWA exclusive

rare replay didnt bomb. You make a good product and it will sell. You focus on a camera game that never worked right, what do you expect.

NXGamer

So what happens to Rare when Sea of Thieves bombs?

It has the possibility to be a BIG seller, it will connect with kids and adults alike as who does not love pirates.

And this article seems all over the place with its figures, sources. Ex-employees are never the best source of clear view and how could one person know so much about MS targets, Milestones...hmmmm

LordRaptor

rare replay didnt bomb. You make a good product and it will sell. You focus on a camera game that never worked right, what do you expect.

I don't really consider whats effectively a Greatest Hits ROM pack at budget price the same thing as a new game, let alone a new IP, but sure, I'll concede it wasn't a bomb.

I think it's their last chance. I hope it doesn't bomb, as I don't want to see a classic British developer go under, but I think they'll be Lionheaded if it underperforms.

These are my thoughts almost exactly.

You choosing to ignore the developer of the game saying it sold 5 million copies and creating your own narritive is delusional. What with the when the story doesn't go people way they have to create another thing to downplay. We finally got sold figures I'm pretty sure Frankie wouldn't come here to talk about shipped figures. That's was only three months sale I would think that number would be bigger now.

yeah, because every should just believe an ambiguous statement with no clarification i am right ?,trust me if halo sold through 5 million copies to consumers in 3 months MS PR would be shouting that from the rooftops and Frankie would have actually posted a clear cut answer. ;)

but by all means, people can stay delusional as fuck if they want.

Cyclone

trust me if halo sold through 5 million copies to consumers in 3 months MS PR would be shouting that from the rooftops and Frankie would have actually posted a clear cut answer. ;)

1. Halo has a mega history so selling 5 million in 90 days is actually less than previous titles.

2. Stinkles replied to someone who said it "sold" X amount, and then he said 5 million. Unless he didn't read the guys post and somehow knew what he was talking about, then he meant sold not shipped.

gamz

yeah, because every should just believe an ambiguous statement with no clarification i am right ?,trust me if halo sold through 5 million copies to consumers in 3 months MS PR would be shouting that from the rooftops and Frankie would have actually posted a clear cut answer. ;)

Then believe what you want and move on.

I think it's their last chance. I hope it doesn't bomb, as I don't want to see a classic British developer go under, but I think they'll be Lionheaded if it underperforms.

Man, so many people hold Rare so close to their heart, I don't think MS will just close them down based on what SOT does, at least not like Lionhead...That would be some really bad PR...people just love Rare, even if it's not the same Rare they remember...

K' Dash

Not looking good for anyone except Sony, if Xbox disappeared eventually a Sony only future could very well be the "you'll have to work two jobs to buy our console" Sony of the past.

Green Yoshi

So what happens to Rare when Sea of Thieves bombs?
I fear it could share the same destiny as Fable Legends. It looks too ambitious for Rare. Perhaps a new Conker would have been easier. Even if it's mediocre, it's still a Conker game and people will buy it.

Green Yoshi

Not looking good for anyone except Sony, if Xbox disappeared eventually a Sony only future could very well be the "you'll have to work two jobs to buy our console" Sony of the past.
If there is a free space in the market, other companies (Nvidia, Apple, Amazon, Google, Samsung) could step in.

I hope Sea of Thieves does well for Rare. I like the aesthetic of it all, in a way it all harkens back to Rare's olden days. The game is being designed by Gregg Mayles who was the lead designer on the original DKC and Banjo titles and a lot of the games that came from his team seem to have a reoccurring pirate motif (Gangplank Galleon in DKC, the entirety of DKC2, Project Dream before it became Banjo-Kazooie, etc) and hell, even some of it seems to have bled into Yooka-Laylee (Yooka and Laylee apparently live in a pirate ship that's been shipwrecked) which is being made by several people who had also previously worked on DKC/Banjo, so it's kinda cool to see Rare make an entire game about it.

blakep267

Depending on what SoT actually is, I think it could do fine. Like Ark had a thriving community on the Xbox. I think the audience for a co-op game about doing stuff with your buddies could do fine( in not comparing the exact gameplay to ark as ai have no idea album more the style and interactivity)

Deadstar

Halo was uninspired. The multiplayer is what gives the game its longevity and we just got a bunch of forge BTB maps. To be fair I haven't logged in in months but how do you have a Halo game without at least a few iconic Halo BTB maps?

Why would releasing on two platforms make it sell less than 1 platform?

I think the implication is that the PC version won't bolster sales if it's tied to UWP and W10

We'll see, but I could easily see Sea of Thieves resonating reallly well with PC gamers

Edit: late ofc

Halo was uninspired. The multiplayer is what gives the game its longevity and we just got a bunch of forge BTB maps. To be fair I haven't logged in in months but how do you have a Halo game without at least a few iconic Halo BTB maps?

as someone who pretty much only played BTB prior to H5, i can't say i give a shit, or miss it.

H5 arena gameplay is just too damn good [and warzone is scratching any BTB itch i had, although i still barely play that].

edit: i should add, i was pretty sad at first to see there was no BTB, but after playing arena and warzone i just didn't give any fucks anymore [and i honestly never cared for halo campaigns outside of CE]

jelly

Just for comparison.

In 2007 Halo 3 sold 4.82 million in the US. NPD.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/npd-2007-game-earnings-nearly-18-billion-halo-3-sells-482-million/1100-6184847/

Microsoft said this about Halo 4

'In the United States Halo 4 became the best-selling Microsoft Studios title for sales counted during respective launch years'

Which means Halo 4 sold more than Halo 3 during the last few months of the year they released but obviously didn't have the legs Halo 3 had to reach 14/15 million sold.

1. Halo has a mega history so selling 5 million in 90 days is actually less than previous titles.

2. Stinkles replied to someone who said it "sold" X amount, and then he said 5 million. Unless he didn't read the guys post and somehow knew what he was talking about, then he meant sold not shipped.

I posted this the last page. I think the only difference is old Halo games had long legs whereas 343 Halo is only front loaded and dies after Christmas. The sales in the first 3-4 months are very similar. I can understand being suspect of the 5 million number when Halo 5 sold about a million in a few days in the US whereas old titles where easily 2-3 million so Halo 5 would have to make a change of having long legs for a 343 title. 3 months is a long time so it wouldn't surprise me if 5 million was right but worldwide would need to pick up the slack unless Halo 5 was top selling for a few months in the US after launch and I'm not sure it was.

Plenty of good games don't sell for a myriad of different reasons; being released on a hugely unpopular platform included.

precisely.

not to mention, when halo 1 & 2 [and to an extent, 3] were released, just the fact that they were solid, playable FPS games released on a console was enough to go bat-shit crazy over.

Mark my words Stinkles

Make Halo Halo again and you will get your sales. (maps, no sprint, flag, regular br and br side step batles dubs etc) regular big team (maybe can keep a new breakout) That is all

I really hope you guys wll re release MCC with better net code and perhaps add new maps to Halo 3 without altering the core, maybe add new forge to what is already there, just help it out a bit.

Not all that surprised that Fable's audience had shrunk significantly. I think everyone pretty much knew that already. It's a real shame, I liked the series. However I can't lie, I thought it was downhill since the very first one. I wasn't all that excited for the brand anymore either.

Would not be surprised at all if Halo is underperforming as indicated, too.
You followup Halo 4 (strike 1) with the MCC (strike 2). You send that dumpsterfire out to die while bullshitting people that you aren't, and you release Halo 5 clearly unfinished and missing a significant amount of features (strike 3). Onto a console that is having issues of its own.

I dont think people are as patient or forgiving as microsoft wishes they were. The gameplay is good in 5 but after three strikes, the same confidence and enthusiasm is just not there anymore no matter how many pizza skins they make. Anecdotally, the Halo audience is shrinking in the direction of a very dedicated existing fanbase and losing the wider lure.

1. Halo is barely relevant in the U.S. And sold around 1.46 million in its first week. In terms of regional breakdowns, 900k+ were sold in the USA while 300k+ were sold in Europe. The percentage equates to 64 percent to 25 percent of sales respectively. This means 100k+ were sold in other regions with 11 percent of the sales. Then add in the fact Game sales usually drop off 50% or more second week and continue dropping. Halo is likely around sold 2-3 million in the U.S. , are you trying to tell me the rest of the world where no one gives a shit about halo or Xbox made up another 2.5 million ? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

2. Frankie is a vet around here so if he meant 5 million sold through he should or would have said that , instead of giving a one worded answer with no context and leaving the thread plain and simple.

And if you are so sure or actually believe thats sold through opposed to shipped than put your money where your mouth is and let's throw down an avatar bet ?

gamz

1. Halo is barely relevant in the U.S. And sold around 1.46 million in its first week. In terms of regional breakdowns, 900k+ were sold in the USA while 300k were sold in Europe. The percentage equates to 64 percent to 25 percent of sales respectively. This means 100k were sold in other regions with 11 percent of the sales. Then add in the fact Game sales usually drop off 50% or more second week and continue dropping. Halo is likely around sold 2-3 million in the U.S. , are you trying to tell me the rest of the world where no one gives a shit about halo or Xbox made up another 2.5 million ? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

2. Frankie is a vet around here so if he meant 5 million sold through he should or would have said that , instead of giving a one worded answer with no context and leaving the thread plain and simple.

And if you are so sure or actually believe thats sold through opposed to shipped than put your money where your mouth is and let's throw down an avatar bet ?

Don't you actually need a avatar before you bet?

I doubt it. There's still Nintendo, PC gaming, mobile gaming and all other entertainment that they compete against now.

On a personal level if Xbox 'disappeared,' I wouldn't give two shits. They already destroyed my two favorite series of theirs (Halo and Fable.)

1. Halo is barely relevant in the U.S. And sold around 1.46 million in its first week. In terms of regional breakdowns, 900k+ were sold in the USA while 300k+ were sold in Europe. The percentage equates to 64 percent to 25 percent of sales respectively. This means 100k+ were sold in other regions with 11 percent of the sales. Then add in the fact Game sales usually drop off 50% or more second week and continue dropping. Halo is likely around sold 2-3 million in the U.S. , are you trying to tell me the rest of the world where no one gives a shit about halo or Xbox made up another 2.5 million ? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Don't bother. People are willing to ignore math and market reality and Frankie still hasn't clarified (even though it's easy to do so).

Plus, most folks don't pay attention to or understand sales. So somethung like Halo 5 selling half it's units in the ROTW sounds completley plausible to them without a second thought.

mike4001_

Of course xbox is underperforming,

In the beginning they always said that even Sony is selling more, they are still ahead of Xbox 360 Sales in the same time span.

Is this still the case?

Because then underperforming would only be a point of view when you factor in Sony ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom