• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's 7 month investigation into Star Citizen's development

Durante

It's kind of like the Great Pyramid. I'm not an expert on structural engineering of the ancient world. It is entirely possible that building the pyramid in 20 years with 40,000 laborers was a triumph of efficiency. As far as I know, that could have been orders of magnitude less expensive than anyone thought it could be done. And yet, despite that ignorance, I somehow feel extremely confident in saying that the Egyptians could have done something a lot better with those resources than making a tomb. I mean sure, great way to show off the opulence and majesty of your god-king, but kind of hard to defend to the commoner who would rather you just got around to building those roads and irrigation ditches first.
That's actually a good comparison, but for one hugely significant difference.

The pyramids were built based on slavery and exploitation, and yet they represent what is generally agreed upon to be one of the wonders of the world, and people still look at them in awe. They are a great work, just the circumstances of their creation are problematic.

Conversely, Star Citizen is funded by people who willingly contribute to that excessive and opulent monument, and want to see it built. I don't believe there's anything wrong with that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That's actually a good comparison, but for one hugely significant difference.

The pyramids were built based on slavery and exploitation, and yet they represent what is generally agreed upon to be one of the wonders of the world, and people still look at them in awe. They are a great work, just the circumstances of their creation are problematic.

Conversely, Star Citizen is funded by people who willingly contribute to that excessive and opulent monument, and want to see it built. I don't believe there's anything wrong with that.

Its been generally debunked that the pyramids were built with slaves. They were most likely built with skilled paid laborers and craftsmen. Not that there weren't slaves present or used in the process at points but it was not how its portrayed in a lot of popular media.

Durante

Its been generally debunked that the pyramids were built with slaves. They were most likely built with skilled paid laborers and craftsmen. Not that there weren't slaves present or used in the process at points but it was not how its portrayed in a lot of popular media.
That doesn't really change what I was getting at though: it was possible to build them because what we would today call the financing was (directly or indirectly) extracted from the population in an autocratic regime.

The average ancient Egyptian didn't decide to contribute to building the pyramids because he thought the concept sounded cool and because his name got mentioned on one of the stones.

Ethelwulf

This game is in the middle of a bifurcation point. It is neither finished nor in development, it is both and completely depends of who you ask what the answer will be.

gatti-man

I actually want people to keep buying those thousand dollars "worth" of models and skins lol...

I have been calling this game a scam for years now...lets see how long it takes to register for some people...

Get 'em millions flowing!

I am actually curious to witness the absolute fallout that will ensue if the game ever manages to be released in some form... judging by the madness surrounding No Mans Sky false advertising going on atm, I am guessing for Star Citizen people will go full nuclear lol...
If you read the article Jason specifically says it's not a scam.

JCH!

*click on Star Citizen thread*

-Great Pyramid talk

... OK.

On the topic of SC. I have 100€ invested in the game but that was so long ago I don't really care that much anymore. As long as the game releases one day and I get ~10h out of it I guess I will be content.

Ethelwulf

What?

Nobody is saying either of those things.

I missed: "in my opinion...". Sorry for that. It was never clear to me what Star Citizen is. It has been in development for so long and the goals are so ambitious that I will be surprised the day this comes out complete, if that day ever comes to begin with. Btw, very nice article just finished reading some parts.

Zalusithix

I actually want people to keep buying those thousand dollars "worth" of models and skins lol...

I have been calling this game a scam for years now...lets see how long it takes to register for some people...

Get 'em millions flowing!

I am actually curious to witness the absolute fallout that will ensue if the game ever manages to be released in some form... judging by the madness surrounding No Mans Sky false advertising going on atm, I am guessing for Star Citizen people will go full nuclear lol...

1) Most people dumping thousands into the game aren't doing it for the ships to get some arbitrary value for their money. It's done to support the development of the game. The ships are a bonus.

2) If it's a scam, it's the worst scam ever. Scams are inherently meant to screw over one group to benefit another with no intent on making good on the promises made. Spending all the money that you took from the group to produce the product you promised to said group would defeat the purpose. You could call it a mismanaged, feature-creep laden mess of a project and have a chance at an argument. Once you claim its a scam, however, you're just displaying a level of ignorance that invalidates any opinion you might have.

valkyre

If you read the article Jason specifically says it's not a scam.

a) I never implied the article said anything about a scam. I am the one suggesting it. Although yes its a bit harsh to call it "scam" per se, its not the right word to describe it, sorry I cant seem to find the right one (i am not joking with this one).

b) Even if they thought it was a scam, you cant write that in a piece of article unless you have absolute 100% proof. If you dont have 100% proof then you are not allowed in journalism to speak such words.

As for my opinion, SZ is a mess. I am baffled how gullible people these days are. In a sense I applaud Roberts' ability to hype and market his vision the way he does. The guy obviously is talented and has convinced people to fork down thousands upon thousands of dollars for... for fuck sake ... spaceship models and skins...oh yes and development support because the product keeps delivering or something...

So in a sense good for him. He is definitely a smart person.

As for the product? I am sorry but people are bound to be massively disappointed if not something even worse than that. The fact that they cant seem to figure it out is quite alarming. And yes that is just my opinion.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
b) Even if they thought it was a scam, you cant write that in a piece of article unless you have absolute 100% proof. If you dont have 100% proof then you are not allowed in journalism to speak such words.

The author directly states that they don't think it is a scam. They wouldn't bother if they had those reservations.

The point about not publishing things without proof comes up in the article in reference to something else. Check it out.

Chipopo

Banned
What a great series. I really do hope it's remembered at the end of the year when it comes to journalism accolades and so on.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
As for the product? I am sorry but people are bound to be massively disappointed if not something even worse than that. The fact that they cant seem to figure it out is quite alarming. And yes that is just my opinion.

What are tomorrow's lotto numbers? Thx

The author directly states that they don't think it is a scam. They wouldn't bother if they had those reservations.

The point about not publishing things without proof comes up in the article in reference to something else. Check it out.

So is not a scam, but they fund the development of the ships still on the pipeline with the sales of new ships.

The game once finished is going to be far beyond incredible, a dream come true. With the team in Frankfurt they are trully making leap advances in the development. But aint investing a dime for a game that was funded long time ago.

a) I never implied the article said anything about a scam. I am the one suggesting it. Although yes its a bit harsh to call it "scam" per se, its not the right word to describe it, sorry I cant seem to find the right one (i am not joking with this one).

As for my opinion, SZ is a mess. I am baffled how gullible people these days are. In a sense I applaud Roberts' ability to hype and market his vision the way he does. The guy obviously is talented and has convinced people to fork down thousands upon thousands of dollars for... for fuck sake ... spaceship models and skins...oh yes and development support because the product keeps delivering or something...

Lol, wut

Those "thousands of dollars" are to support the development of the game. Please explain why you think this is in any way a scam at all. They've shown a pretty significant amount of content, with a lot of it being extremely impressive, so that can't be used to support that claim. As for the delays, they have been explained already - the scale increased, and delays are a common occurrence in games development.

There is far, far more to Star Citizen than just "spaceship models and skins" at the moment. I doubt anyone is backing this just because they like the sound of what it could be a few years from now - it's what's been shown of it that's convincing. Have you seen the latest gameplay video? That should be enough to prove that it's feasible.

Geist-

Part 5: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/30/what-to-make-of-star-citizen

My turn to highlight a section:

I'd say the conclusion is fair. I'd go with "some of the things" instead of "all of the things" though. It also doesn't mention Squadron 42, but that wasn't really what the series was about.
Great conclusion to the series. Kotaku UK really went above and beyond with it, I hope they put that kind of effort into more articles like that.

One thing I'd like to mention though is the key difference between No Man's Sky and Star Citizen. What sunk Hello Games was the fact that they actually lied about their game. They lied so much that they are now under investigation for false advertisement.

CIG can't really do that. Everything is out in the open, the game is playable right now for fuck's sake. Backers can have their heads in the skies when it comes to some upcoming features, but the advantage of letting people play right up to release is that players will always have a game to play to temper expectations. If it's not going to meet all of the various expectations for release, we'll know far ahead of time. NMS fans had all their expectations destroyed on the day of release and the complete silence didn't help afterwards, something I doubt CIG is going to have a problem with post-release.

Top Bottom