• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

mario_O

I rolled that update back because it broke HDR for Mass Effect. I like the idea of HDR on the desktop, so hopefully they sort that out.

MPC-HC now works though, it plays HDR content. And, wow does it look good...much better than the TV's player. Looks great. The problem is that it plays all content as HDR. So you need to turn off HDR in the Windows' menu to watch regular content. No biggie.

Without Smart LED on there is no HDR effect.

Unfortunately this set has very few dimming zones so you're gonna see those sorts of things when SL is on.

I don't understand. With Smart LED off, playing an HDR game, I still see finer gradients of color than I would with HDR off, which is what I consider the "HDR effect". What exactly are you referring to as the "HDR effect"?

I don't understand. With Smart LED off, playing an HDR game, I still see finer gradients of color than I would with HDR off, which is what I consider the "HDR effect". What exactly are you referring to as the "HDR effect"?

Part of HDR is darker darks and brighter brights at the same time. A wider, more dynamic range of brightness, as well as color. Without Smart LED it would be difficult for one area of the screen to remain inky dark and still have a searing bright flash in the other like someone pointing a flashlight at the camera in a mostly dark environment.

Part of HDR is darker darks and brighter brights at the same time. A wider, more dynamic range of brightness, as well as color. Without Smart LED it would be difficult for one area of the screen to remain inky dark and still have a searing bright flash in the other like someone pointing a flashlight at the camera in a mostly dark environment.

That makes sense. So if I leave Smart LED off while playing HDR content, I don't literally lose the "HDR effect", I just lose the part of HDR that you describe? If so, I think I'm OK with that. The gray text is way more distracting than it's worth, for me.

vpance

HDR is mostly about the range in brightness of what's displayed on screen, and keeping good detail and color in both extremes. Without smart LED on you don't dim the parts of the screen that are supposed to be darker, and vice versa for the bright parts.

That said, since this TV isn't particularly good at dimming I can see why you feel it looks better off. Putting it at Low and/or lowering the backlight might be something to try too. Subtitles are always going to be an issue even for TVs with good dimming performance.

MPC-HC now works though, it plays HDR content. And, wow does it look good...much better than the TV's player. Looks great. The problem is that it plays all content as HDR. So you need to turn off HDR in the Windows' menu to watch regular content. No biggie.

Awesome! I want to check that out. What is the resulting effect on SDR videos if you don't turn HDR off?

Quick question for those who have this set.
I'm thinking about buying one soon and know that the image quality is quite high, particularly for the price.
I've read some people are frustrated with some settings not retaining and inputs changing when devices power on. Those don't sound like such a big deal to me, but I wanted to check and see how you felt.
All in all, if you could do it over would you still buy the same set?

The only time the input changes for me is when I turn on the PS4 which is what I want it to do. I have no issues with losing settings except YouTube will sign me out occasionally. Other than that I love it.

Quick question for those who have this set.
I'm thinking about buying one soon and know that the image quality is quite high, particularly for the price.
I've read some people are frustrated with some settings not retaining and inputs changing when devices power on. Those don't sound like such a big deal to me, but I wanted to check and see how you felt.
All in all, if you could do it over would you still buy the same set?

Mixed reaction for me. The TV is one of the few/only TV's that combine ALL of the following: 4k, proper HDR support, low input lag, good size options, and reasonable price.

However, the negatives that I have experienced are: terrible/borderline useless native apps, buggy/laggy user interface, some weird image quirks like mentioned above where Smart LED makes white text appear gray in some scenes, the auto-on input feature incompatible with Switch, HDR/SDR settings not retained in game mode, no variable volume output for external speakers, no analog audio output.

Overall, probably about a 7/10 rating for me, given all of the above. Luckily I got a 60" for $850 through the now-discontinued Samsung EPP. I don't quite regret my purchase, but I probably would regret it if I had paid much more for it.

mario_O

Maybe there's a hotkey to toggle it? That would be convenient.

Maybe. I honestly haven't looked much into it. I'm using MadVR with MPC-HC, and I know it has some settings for HDR. I have it set to default, which I think it's "passthrough HDR signal" or something like that.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
What the HDR broken in Mass Effect issue I hear people talking about? I've noticed on my set the brightness appears way too bright and the menus look all blown out.

Is there a fix on how to deal with motion blur? Mine with the current update is starting to get worse when playing games.

Are you seeing smearing or more like double-images? I don't see much smear on this set. Plenty of double-images though, especially on 30fps games. With LCD you're going to get one or the other, usually. It's possible to turn on a BFI mode with this set but unfortunately not in Game mode so it's kind of useless.

AwShucks

So I think I'm finally happy with the tv. I'm noticing my issues less and after I cranked up the color I've been satisfied.

Backlight - 5 to 8 depending on ambient light
Brightness - 46
Contrast - 93
Sharpness - 10
Color - 60
Smart led - low
Warm 2
Gamma - 0
DC - off

kmfdmpig

The only time the input changes for me is when I turn on the PS4 which is what I want it to do. I have no issues with losing settings except YouTube will sign me out occasionally. Other than that I love it.

Mixed reaction for me. The TV is one of the few/only TV's that combine ALL of the following: 4k, proper HDR support, low input lag, good size options, and reasonable price.

However, the negatives that I have experienced are: terrible/borderline useless native apps, buggy/laggy user interface, some weird image quirks like mentioned above where Smart LED makes white text appear gray in some scenes, the auto-on input feature incompatible with Switch, HDR/SDR settings not retained in game mode, no variable volume output for external speakers, no analog audio output.

Overall, probably about a 7/10 rating for me, given all of the above. Luckily I got a 60" for $850 through the now-discontinued Samsung EPP. I don't quite regret my purchase, but I probably would regret it if I had paid much more for it.

Thanks. That sounds good all in all.

I'll be using a Shield TV with it, and that can feed it 4k HDR from Amazon Prime, Youtube and Netflix, so I don't think I'll really use the built in apps.

I think the rest are not really deal breakers for me, particularly as 60 inch (which I think I'll go with as 65 would fit with like 1/20th of an inch on both sides) doesn't have a lot of good options. The Vizio M, for example, has a bad panel for the 60 inch size.

Is anyone having troubles with the smart remote, it stops working and you have to take out the batteries to reset it and get it working again?

philm87

I keep seeing issues with motion blur, and also blooming when smart LED is on high. Is this a normal thing with the KS8000?

I have the european KS9000 and don't have either any of these problems. The only issue I did have was a slight bit of flashlighting in the bottom corners, but it was so minimal that I can't see it at all now I have bias lighting.

I basically have a mate who wants a similar TV, but don't know if to recommend him to get one of the upper range KS series because of these issues.

Can you people recommend me some good movies or shows in 4k and optionally with HDR available on Netflix or Amazon? "Tales by Light" on Netflix has the best picture quality I have seen so far but is not that exciting to watch.

Frankly, I find HDR to be an extremely...subtle effect. I guess I could see it if I had two screens next to one another but as of now, I can't say I'm impressed. I'm not even sure if I actually see it or if I know what to look for. Unless I set it up incorrectly but after my extensive research that does not seem to be the case.

philm87

Can you people recommend me some good movies or shows in 4k and optionally with HDR available on Netflix or Amazon? "Tales by Light" on Netflix has the best picture quality I have seen so far but is not that exciting to watch.

Frankly, I find HDR to be an extremely...subtle effect. I guess I could see it if I had two screens next to one another but as of now, I can't say I'm impressed. I'm not even sure if I actually see it or if I know what to look for. Unless I set it up incorrectly but after my extensive research that does not seem to be the case.

If you like cars, the Grand Tour looks pretty great on Amazon. Started watching Sneaky Pete, whilst it looks good I don't think i makes the most of the HDR side of things. I imagine The Man In The High Castle looks pretty good, though not tried it.

I think the 10-bit colour is the thing I notice the most. If you watch the Grand Tour for instance, it makes the colour of the cars look amazing. Without the 10-bit, colours will look slightly more bland and less realistic. I notice going from Horizon Zero Dawn to a non-HDR game like Just Cause 3, that Just cause looks a lot more like a computer game.

The other things you need to look out for in HDR are the brightness of things like lights and the sun, which helps it look more realistic, plus improved contrast, particularly in very dark or very light areas. On Horizon Zero Dawn I noticed the biggest difference toggling the HDR on an off in the Cauldron areas, which are basically caves that have a lot of dark areas, but a lot of bright lights as well. Also massively improves the sparks that fly off the machines when you destroy them.

Melubas

Is anyone having troubles with the smart remote, it stops working and you have to take out the batteries to reset it and get it working again?

I have a similar problem, but if I wait like two-three minutes the remote starts working again. Really strange. This issue is only present when I try to power on the TV too. It always works once the TV is on.

This may have been asked before but is there a way to customize settings based on the app used?

So for instance, when Im watching cable I have settings A, when I use the sports-app I use settings B, when I watch netflix settings C and when gaming settings D.

This would be perfect.

And to make it even better, for those A-D settings, if we could have a day- and nighttime mode for both of them (so a total of 8 settings for those 4 applications).

philm87

This may have been asked before but is there a way to customize settings based on the app used?

So for instance, when Im watching cable I have settings A, when I use the sports-app I use settings B, when I watch netflix settings C and when gaming settings D.

This would be perfect.

And to make it even better, for those A-D settings, if we could have a day- and nighttime mode for both of them (so a total of 8 settings for those 4 applications).

Well cable and apps should be separate, just change it to 'current source' in picture > expert settings > apply picture settings. I only use the Amazon app so I'm not sure if each individual app keeps it's own settings. Each hdmi port keeps it's only settings though. Game mode will keep it's own settings. Maybe use sport mode (but don't leave it on the horrendous default settings) for the sports app, as there is a button to switch to the quickly on the standard remote.

I use standard for day time and movie for night time.

If you like cars, the Grand Tour looks pretty great on Amazon. Started watching Sneaky Pete, whilst it looks good I don't think i makes the most of the HDR side of things. I imagine The Man In The High Castle looks pretty good, though not tried it.

I think the 10-bit colour is the thing I notice the most. If you watch the Grand Tour for instance, it makes the colour of the cars look amazing. Without the 10-bit, colours will look slightly more bland and less realistic. I notice going from Horizon Zero Dawn to a non-HDR game like Just Cause 3, that Just cause looks a lot more like a computer game.

The other things you need to look out for in HDR are the brightness of things like lights and the sun, which helps it look more realistic, plus improved contrast, particularly in very dark or very light areas. On Horizon Zero Dawn I noticed the biggest difference toggling the HDR on an off in the Cauldron areas, which are basically caves that have a lot of dark areas, but a lot of bright lights as well. Also massively improves the sparks that fly off the machines when you destroy them.

Thank you I'll try that today.

Grinchy

Banned
This TV really hates the PSVR breakout box, doesn't it? Even after ordering a brand new HDMI cable to be sure, at least one blackout is guaranteed within 10 minutes of starting up Persona 5. It's typically just the one and then it never happens again, but it's still quite annoying.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well cable and apps should be separate, just change it to 'current source' in picture > expert settings > apply picture settings. I only use the Amazon app so I'm not sure if each individual app keeps it's own settings. Each hdmi port keeps it's only settings though. Game mode will keep it's own settings. Maybe use sport mode (but don't leave it on the horrendous default settings) for the sports app, as there is a button to switch to the quickly on the standard remote.

I use standard for day time and movie for night time.

That's a good point. I never thought that for example Netflix app would have it's own settings.

Tried HDR again (on FFXV, Uncharted 4 and Ratched & Clank) and can't see an improvement over non-HDR content to save my life. Honestly, either y'all are crazy hyping this phoney feature up or (more likely) I'm an idiot and set it up incorrectly.

1. I'm using an HDMI 2.0 cable
2. UHD Color is "on" on the HDMI3 slot where my PS4 is plugged in
3. All HDR settings on PS4 are on "auto" other than RGB range which I have at "Full" (HDMI black level on the Samsung at "low")
4. Turned HDR on in all games, increased the backlight to 20, Smart LED to high, Color Space to native

Any mistake in that? Also, the TV doesn't seem to memorize the HDR settings separately. I have to do all three changes in step 4 every time (and revert them once I play SDR content).

edit: maybe it's the cable after all? I'm using this AmazonBasics 2.0 thing.

3. All HDR settings on PS4 are on "auto" other than RGB range which I have at "Full" (HDMI black level on the Samsung at "low")

If PS4 is on Full RGB I'm pretty sure the TV needs Black Level set to "Normal". For Samsung black level Normal = Full Range.

Also, I don't think the HDR effect in games is all that noticeable. I think Infamous: First Light might be the most noticeable game I've tried but even then it's not as good as the videos. Try some HDR Youtube videos in the TV's built-in app or Planet Earth II on 4K Blu Ray and it's pretty apparent (and awesome).

Tried HDR again (on FFXV, Uncharted 4 and Ratched & Clank) and can't see an improvement over non-HDR content to save my life. Honestly, either y'all are crazy hyping this phoney feature up or (more likely) I'm an idiot and set it up incorrectly.

4. Turned HDR on in all games, increased the backlight to 20, Smart LED to high, Color Space to native

Any mistake in that? Also, the TV doesn't seem to memorize the HDR settings separately. I have to do all three changes in step 4 every time (and revert them once I play SDR content).

Gotta set the PS4 to YUV420

Robiin

I know Horizon has a HDR Rendering setting in the menu. With that you can switch between HDR and non-HDR picture in seconds. Should be a relatively clear difference no matter where you are in the world. Especially during sunsets and inside Cauldron caves.

Yopis

Color Space Auto?

Got to have a certified 4K cable. Amazon Basics did not work for me either. Try one like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDLLUMO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Gotta set the PS4 to YUV420

Is there a difference between that and YUV423? I'm not home at the moment so can't check but I remember seeing in the PS4 menu under display settings that mine was set to that one (number might be off).

I remember the setting saying something like (YUV420/YUV423 or RGB) or something to that extent.

edit: to Clarify mine was set to YUV423 (again number might be off but wasn't the 420 option), but the little tooltip underneath said it could be YUV420/422 or RGB.

If PS4 is on Full RGB I'm pretty sure the TV needs Black Level set to "Normal". For Samsung black level Normal = Full Range.
Yes, good call, thank you.

Got to have a certified 4K cable. Amazon Basics did not work for me either. Try one like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDLLUMO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Are you sure? I seem to find conflicting reports on the internet as to whether that HDMI 2.0 cable by Amazon works or not.

Robiin

Wait a minute. I was told when I bought my TV (many pages back) to set the PS4 Pro to auto and forget about it, and it defaults to RGB. Now people are saying YUV 420. These options I have never fiddled with but I see a clear difference between them when changing. Any "correct"/"easy" answer? It looks to heighten the contrast to hell when I switch to YUV420 and play Horizon.

Always RGB, always YUV420 or change depending on if I'm gonna play something with HDR?

Wait a minute. I was told when I bought my TV (many pages back) to set the PS4 Pro to auto and forget about it, and it defaults to RGB. Now people are saying YUV 420. These options I have never fiddled with but I see a clear difference between them when changing. Any "correct"/"easy" answer? It looks to heighten the contrast to hell when I switch to YUV420 and play Horizon.

Always RGB, always YUV420 or change depending on if I'm gonna play something with HDR?
Auto SHOULD make everything go from RGB for SDR, and automatically switch to YUV422 (not YUV 420) when HDR content is played.

Robiin

Auto SHOULD make everything go from RGB for SDR, and automatically switch to YUV422 (not YUV 420) when HDR content is played.
My only options in the menu are YUV420 and 2160p - RGB. Is my HDMI cable wrong/faulty then? Using the one that came with the PS4 Pro.

EDIT: But under "Video Output Information" in the PS4 menu, it says Color Format YUV422(HDR)... So I guess it is working as intended?

I asked this before but what is the difference between YUV422 and YUV420, and why so adamant about it needing to be the former?

Genuinely curious. I googled around and saw something about a difference in gamma or contrast?

philm87

I asked this before but what is the difference between YUV422 and YUV420, and why so adamant about it needing to be the former?

Genuinely curious. I googled around and saw something about a difference in gamma or contrast?

YUV422 is 10 bit colour, YUV420 is 8 bit colour. Massive difference in the colour range that can be transmitted.

My only options in the menu are YUV420 and 2160p - RGB. Is my HDMI cable wrong/faulty then? Using the one that came with the PS4 Pro.

EDIT: But under "Video Output Information" in the PS4 menu, it says Color Format YUV422(HDR)... So I guess it is working as intended?

I am not 100% on this, but if everything is set to auto, and you get RGB when playing SDR video, then YUV422 during HDR content, then everything is kosher.

The difference for me at least is pretty subtle. I noticed it in FFVX at most during a sunrise or sunset looking into what was normally a dark horizon, and noticing new details.

Watching Grand Tour on amazon prime gives me a pretty dramatic color difference, but the effect so far has been extremely subtle in the games I've played. I'm waiting a really gaudy game to go overboard on the effect to put my doubt at ease.

Robiin

Do you guys actually see an option for YUV422 under Video Output Settings->Resolution?

For me I have YUV420 and RGB - but if I set it to Auto and start an HDR game and look under Video Output Information it says YUV422(HDR). Like you said above, meltingparappa, it should be good.

But the screen looks "bleak" playing with Auto (422) in comparison to what I see if I manually set it to YUV420. Maybe it's the "TV in a store" effect, it looks super impactful but it's not correct.

I'm so confused.

Top Bottom