• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Larry Wilmore explains why he used N-word at White House Correspondents’ Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

The best part was when larry made the lemonade joke and Michelle was like "They don't know about that Larry"

Just watched it myself. Its alright....definitely some good stuff in there but Larry's delivery is terrible. I cant stand how he mumbles and chuckles after every punchline. The Zodiac Killer shit just wasnt funny either.

As for dropping the N-bomb.....really? That was it? I thought he went on some kind of Richard Prior/Eddie Murphy RAW style rant.

his jokes were like something norm macdonald would come up with. the difference being that norm macdonald's delivery of those jokes is what makes them funny.

and people said the Zodiac killer joke just went too long, but that was the hilarity of it that he kept going back to it
I loved the Zodiac Killer bit.
Thats my main criticism of his hosting. Its not a roast. He fried the shit out of everybody and all but it was kinda awkward. Its like he did it for instagram/facebook
It's a roast now. Nobody will ever top Stephen Colbert's performance. He was hired because they didn't understand his persona was satire and he savaged Bush and the media (while never breaking character). Maybe you'd prefer his successor, Rich Little?

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I thought his routine was fucking hilarious. The people in that room came of as totally humorless and way too self-serious. I didn't think it was possible for me to dislike Wolf Blitzer anymore than I already did until they cut to him just fucking stone-faced as Wilmore made jokes. Seriously, dude, you're a fucking cable news anchor. Get the fuck over yourself.

Dude changed his name from Leslie to Wolf. I doubt he's able to do so, ever. He's a total douche.

"Super predator mike"
Lol dear lord. This guy is brave. That whole thing was hilarious.

A lot of ooos and ahhhs but it looked like a lot of people there were having a good laugh. Mostly uptight wankers tho.

Eh. His stuff was okay to kinda watercooler jokes. And that delivery, oof. Dropping bombs like Curry, Wolf is boring, zodiac felt flat. I think the n-word was the least of his problems. He lost the room and he failed to bring it back. It felt like he was just plowing through stuff he thought was biting wit but lacked the punch to deliver them. Stay in your lane Obama was funny? Obama could call an airstrike and make your jokes work better than you Wilmore.

Nibiru

Banned
his jokes were like something norm macdonald would come up with. the difference being that norm macdonald's delivery of those jokes is what makes them funny.

Stylistically it was very similar to Norm. Norm's delivery would have knocked the jokes out of the park but I thought Larry did a pretty good job in a room full of massive ego's. I loved the Wolf Blitzer stuff the guys is such a hack.

What a terrible audience though. He didn't even say anything offensive. What's wrong with them ?

People in print media get real pissy when you remind them of the fact that they are dinosaurs in a soon to be dead industry. I should know, I worked for a newspaper years ago.

E92 M3

Eh. His stuff was okay to kinda watercooler jokes. And that delivery, oof. Dropping bombs like Curry, Wolf is boring, zodiac felt flat. I think the n-word was the least of his problems. He lost the room and he failed to bring it back. It felt like he was just plowing through stuff he thought was biting wit but lacked the punch to deliver them. Stay in your lane Obama was funny? Obama could call an airstrike and make your jokes work better than you Wilmore.

The jokes were good, but most people in the room were a tightass.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I love a good roast, but I thought his jokes were a mixed bag. When you commit to the roast, you can't rely on cliches. Either you go full blast or you go over people's heads and allow the comments to sink in later. I felt there were more misses than hits. Good on him for trying though.

Weak in general, but there was a few highlights.

- No Input, HDMI 1
- Al Sharpton Hair/Feel The Burn
- Andrew Jackson/Jigaboo Impression
- "Stay in your lane, Mr. President"

Einhander

He had some funny jokes, but I didn't think he killed it. I found it weird how he would make these high-pitched sounds in-between jokes, as if it was a nervous tick. That was pretty awkward.

I haven't watched it yet. All I know is the best White House Correspondents Dinner ever was the one Norm MacDonald hosted, and while many of those jokes landed, many others didn't. That was not an indication that Norm wasn't funny.

1/10

fuzzyset

"Bernie Sanders had a hernia operation recently. Yeah, his doctor said it's from trying to lift the hopes of the disenfranchised." This is great. Most of these jokes are great.

Newline

How can people not find this funny. I thought it was great, infact the whole arkward situation made it go from great to hilariously arkward which is even better. His Trump, Bernie, Hillary stuff was on point. The Obama drone stuff was teetering on the edge of fucked up and I kind of liked his slurry delivery.

Let's just say you should stick to your day job and leave the comedy to comedians

I think the funniest joke of the night, from anyone, was just Obama's "Eh, comrade?" comment about Bernie. USSR jokes never get old

Just watched the whole thing. I think Larry Wilmore nailed it for the most part, he gave no one any quarter, and using that phrase at the end didn't seem all that off to me. Compared to the deadly silence during some of the news network gags, the audience seemed perfectly OK with it at the time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thats my main criticism of his hosting. Its not a roast. He fried the shit out of everybody and all but it was kinda awkward. Its like he did it for instagram/facebook

It should be more than a roast because a roast implies you hold peoples' feet to the fire out of a sort of affection underneath it all. There should be no affection. The system has failed, across the board.

The WHCD is a contemptuous exercise for starfuckers and its evolution into a debutante ball is symbolic of the decline of independent journalism in America. It's embarrassing that a figure as vacuous as Wolf Blitzer needs Larry Wilmore to deflate him through jokes because it's embarrassing he was ever inflated into having gravitas to begin with.

If Wilmore pulled the fire alarm it'd be a policy argument of depth and nuance exceeding what the audience deserves.

Just rewatched and it was even more hilarious than the first time. I think he did an excellent job. He got to say a lot of stuff I think Obama wish he could have said.

huh. I felt like he bombed. Lots of other people felt that way too if you look at the PoliGAF posts at the time
Even though I didn't think he was bad his bit was waaaaay to RAW for me, crossed the line more than a few times including use of the n-word. Obama's was funny while toeing the line perfectly.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Damn that joke bombed hard. I have no particular affinity for Blitzer or Larry, but my gut tells me that he could have structured that joke better. It felt like his delivery wasn't committed enough. The punchline also felt too one dimensional. It's basically saying "Wolf, you're boring". It needed better puns or a better ironic turnaround.

The last part lacked conviction too, I think the "my nigga" joke would have played better if it was delivered better. Another comedian could have made it more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom