• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds NYCC Trailer

Reallink

Gotta be honest, if you told me in 1992 that 22 years from now, you will be playing a sequel that looks like this, I'd probably have started crying. Those character models are terribad, and not in an art style way.

ivysaur12

Banned
I just realized. Princess Zelda, Princess Hilda.

Aunt Zelda, Aunt Hilda....
original.jpg

Auonuma been watching too much Sabrina the Teenage Witch during development.

Oh my god :lol

Vire

Gotta be honest, if you told me in 1992 that 22 years from now, you will be playing a sequel that looks like this, I'd probably have started crying. Those character models are terribad, and not in an art style way.

What did you expect stereoscopic 3D games in your pocket?...

Had to watch it.......I hope this is good! Looks great so far...

Edit:Ooooh, that Kotaku footage was interesting......and that audience is so pumped haha

wmlk

The game is purposely going for that look. I think it embodies the spirit of the original LTTP and the new artwork very, very well. You can tell this game oozes ambience in some parts. I just wish the overworld did not look as bland since that's where most of the game will be.

What if Majora has some form of innocent role in ALBW and doesn't really become Majora until well... later?

Wouldn't be surprised if it's just a little thing, like how in OoT3D you could see the little Skyward Sword pics in some places.

Edit from Kotaku vid: There's a guy in a Tingle-esque hat just named "Treasure Hunter"
rKWgbUT.png

Fabrik

Banned
Woah the Kotaku footage was amazing to watch. Loved the audience reactions. I don't get the artstyle complaint, it looks cute and will be even better in 3D and on a small screen.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I've always kind of broke down these as being the same, just different times.

Dark/Sacred/Twilight

We'll have to see what the deal with Lorule is...

Let's seal the people who tried to take the Triforce into the holy realm of the Triforce.

Twilight Realm's gotta be entirely separate.

Edit: Link closeups aside (His face is the worst thing) this looks amazing. The did a great job capturing how the original looked.

ЯAW

Banned
This game looks great! I was rather underwhelmed by the first screens but in motion it's just looks too good. I really need to buy 3DS.

Gonna finish a playthrough of alttp just before this comes out (while also doing playthroughs of windwaker hd hero mode and ocarina of time 3d master quest).

I like the look of Link in the game. He reminds me of olschool Link from the Zelda 1 manual and stuff. I also really like the way everything in the game animates like a cartoon. It's like LttP x 20. I can't wait for this! I hope they put LttP on Wiii U VC soon. I want to play it again before this comes out.

I don't even have a ton of love for aLttP but the music did a precision strike on my nostalgia-centre. I'm really impressed with what little I've seen of this so far. Core mechanics seem strong and hold a lot of potential. The game seems fast and fluid. Lots of cute and clever little touches that inject character in its predecessor which I thought it was missing. And that music...

I was going to wait on getting it until the end of the year, but it looks like I'll be making time for it already in November.

Watched the Kotaku gameplay vid. Gameplay, animation and artstyle look great. I don't get much of the negativity on the graphics, to me it looks like a near perfect translation of the original LTTP to 3D.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Watching it in 60fps 3D should definitely make a difference in terms of visual appeal.

Moff

I love how this game looks, absolutely phenomenal.
And i fully expect them to deliever great, diversive gameplay, too, just like in mario 3d land.
this is going to be pure joy.

damn I cant get over how much I love this games artstyle:
t3MHnEY.gif

D-e-f-

Banned
How many alternate worlds does this franchise have?

All of them. One might say, an infinite amount.

There's always a man, there's always a lighthouse sword, there's always a city.

What if Majora has some form of innocent role in ALBW and doesn't really become Majora until well... later?

Wouldn't be surprised if it's just a little thing, like how in OoT3D you could see the little Skyward Sword pics in some places.

Edit from Kotaku vid: There's a guy in a Tingle-esque hat just named "Treasure Hunter"
rKWgbUT.png

He's just wearing a green cap. His remaining attire is yellow-ish. There's nothing really Tingle-esque about him other than the cap.

One thing I notice from that Kotaku video is the amount of hits enemies seem to need before they croak I don't beleive any other 2d Zelda had such resilient fodders

It's no different from ALttP. Dark World enemies took a lot of hits, especially without an upgraded Master Sword.

AniHawk

Hmmm, well if you count split timelines as worlds, those 3.

Sacred Realm and Dark World are the same place

Twilight Realm.

Whatever world the Minish are from.

Termina

Windfish's dream count?

Whatever world the Lokomo are from.

Dark Realm in Spirit Tracks.

Phantom Hourglass may have been an alternate dimension, another Windfish dream, or maybe real.

Silent Realm? I'm not sure that really counts as a world... I think it was a test made inside Link's spirit or something.

Demon realm or whatever that Demise and his demons came from.

Lorule

i thought the minish and the place the lokomo are from are the same world hyrule is in. the minish are just creatures part of the early zelda timeline, after the events of skyward sword. the lokomo probably existed separately elsewhere on the surface as an offshoot of the hylian race given their similarities and powers.

koholint was probably not a real place (if it is or isn't doesn't matter- that ending is fantastic).

so i think you can split it into these:

world where hyrule takes place
dark realm (spirit tracks)/demon realm (skyward sword)
sacred realm (oot/alttp)
twilight realm (twilight princess)
termina (majora's mask)
labrynna (oracle of ages)
holodrum (oracle of seasons)

the dark realm and the demon realm might even be the same thing, given that's where malladus comes from. if that's the case, then there's only the world where hyrule takes places, the demon realm, the twilight realm (which was created separately by the gods to punish the twili), and the places that just seem to be like labyrnna, holodrum, and termina.

labyrnna and holodrum could be the individual places that two of the three goddesses come from, or were created as a side effect of creating hyrule when they all came together. that leaves termina as the only place where its existence is never explained.

termina might have turned into lorule though. if skull kid never entered the place (because ganondorf took over, and probably indirectly prevented skull kid from taking the mask), then the moon never threatened to destroy the world. it continues existing as a mirror world of hyrule for a long time. would put a nice bow on things if termina was the land farore came from/belongs to where labrynna and holodrum belong to nayru and din.

it's all bullshit, but it's fun to try and piece things together.

The music is so good and nostalgic. I love everything about this, except the character models. My brain cannot comprehend the ugliness of those character models.
I mean, wtf is this, what were they smoking when they thought they could put this abomination in the final game:

Compare that to OOT 3D, a remaster of a 14 year old game:

tumblr_lx49u6JPyN1qji8n0o1_400.jpg
tumblr_mekl95twUx1rmb5djo2_400.png

They could have tried to make it look half as good as that at least.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
i thought the minish and the place the lokomo are from are the same world hyrule is in. the minish are just creatures part of the early zelda timeline, after the events of skyward sword. the lokomo probably existed separately elsewhere on the surface as an offshoot of the hylian race given their similarities and powers.

koholint was probably not a real place (if it is or isn't doesn't matter- that ending is fantastic).

so i think you can split it into these:

world where hyrule takes place
dark realm (spirit tracks)/demon realm (skyward sword)
sacred realm (oot/alttp)
twilight realm (twilight princess)
termina (majora's mask)
labrynna (oracle of ages)
holodrum (oracle of seasons)

the dark realm and the demon realm might even be the same thing, given that's where malladus comes from. if that's the case, then there's only the world where hyrule takes places, the demon realm, the twilight realm (which was created separately by the gods to punish the twili), and the places that just seem to be like labyrnna, holodrum, and termina.

labyrnna and holodrum could be the individual places that two of the three goddesses come from, or were created as a side effect of creating hyrule when they all came together. that leaves termina as the only place where its existence is never explained.

termina might have turned into lorule though. if skull kid never entered the place (because ganondorf took over, and probably indirectly prevented skull kid from taking the mask), then the moon never threatened to destroy the world. it continues existing as a mirror world of hyrule for a long time. would put a nice bow on things if termina was the land farore came from/belongs to where labrynna and holodrum belong to nayru and din.

it's all bullshit, but it's fun to try and piece things together.
I was under the impression that, unlike Termina, Holodrum and Labrynna are just two different countries in the same world.

Zushin

So is there currently a new Zelda in development for WiiU? Haven't played much Nintendo stuff up until I got a WiiU a couple weeks back and have been absolutely loving Wind Waker.

Hermii

So is there currently a new Zelda in development for WiiU? Haven't played much Nintendo stuff up until I got a WiiU a couple weeks back and have been absolutely loving Wind Waker.

Yes. In fact Wind Waker HD as well as the Zelda HD experience came out of experimenting with artstyles for Wii U Zelda.

EVH

Loved the trailer and actually sold the game to me.

It is a real pitty that they chose this dull artstyle and mediocre graphics. Are they trying to make the "new" Legend of Zelda, as they did with the "new" Super Mario Bros.? It looks like that.

But it looks so depressing the state of Lorule, and the difference between a promising land and a ruined one. The music is also great. As the ideas of popping out stuff from the walls when you come out of them. Now I'm hyped and I was not interested in this game at all!

EVH

Probably already said, but what if the Gerudo Witch is the actual Ganondorf of Lorule, while the big guy is Ganon trapped in Lorule but actually the Ganondorf of Hyrule.

Head hurts now.

The music is so good and nostalgic. I love everything about this, except the character models. My brain cannot comprehend the ugliness of those character models.

I share the exact same opinion, Link does look daft, and nowhere near as good as from OOT.
Think it might largely be due to how it's a top down game, and they wanted to get Link looking as good as possible from above... In OOT you saw much more of Link from all angles.
Regardless, this is the only game I have pre-ordered for this year, goddamn just gimme it.

Ganondolf

I mean, wtf is this, what were they smoking when they thought they could put this abomination in the final game:

Compare that to OOT 3D, a remaster of a 14 year old game:

tumblr_lx49u6JPyN1qji8n0o1_400.jpg
tumblr_mekl95twUx1rmb5djo2_400.png

They could have tried to make it look half as good as that at least.

maybe the lower model lets them but more stuff on screen and they did not want to use a high detailed model which for 95% of the game you would not see from the top down view.

I think this is a day one for me

KHlover

Banned
maybe the lower model lets them but more stuff on screen and they did not want to use a high detailed model which for 95% of the game you would not see from the top down view.

I think this is a day one for me
Surely they could have used a set of high-detail models for the cutscenes?

Top Bottom