• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

I just sign up for 3 extra overtime days, so my wallet can be ready. Although with all the time working, not sure when I can get to built any of the set. >< But it never hurt to horde.

So I am not sure which Superman set I should get. I am leaning toward the one with Luis, and Superman and Zod with armor. But thinking about it, I don't really care for Luis or the silly looking armor.

Or I should get Deadpool set ... it's a much better deal. Also Superman set probably will be around for a little while. I hardly see that Deadpool set around here anymore.

I've finished and taken pictures of my two dioramas, Caradhras and Bag End.

Vvgt3Mi.jpg

ckduGXW.jpg

Built using An Unexpected Gathering and Gandalf Arrives (obviously), with spare pieces from Medieval Market Village, Attack of the Wargs, Barrel Escape, Escape from Mirkwood Spiders, a basic brick set and extra bricklinked pieces (mostly white slopes, some flowers and the tan road pieces).

The rest of the pictures and story here: Lego Lord of the Rings Caradhras Diorama and Bag End Extended Edition

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
What is the best way to display my minifigs without them getting dusty? Right now they are on my desk and my Series 8 that I have are dusty now....

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

Calm Killer

Flyingpig:
It seems GAF is eating the PMs I send you lately. I tracked the package with your Burrow set in it, and it says it delivered on Saturday. I just want to confirm that you received it, and if not I will proceed to freak out.

Thanks.

Chuckie

Wetwired (and anybody else)...do you ever worry about the strain you might be putting on the fig's hands?

The surfer girl in this picture, for example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wetwired/7361275460/in/set-72157630102507252

Whenever a fig comes with a printed tile (like the disco record, or the Paris Hilton cell phone) I always hesitate to do the "twist" to have them hold it.

Am I crazy?

You cray! ;)

I've been doing this (putting square stuff in those tiny hands) since I was a wee lad. Not once ever did a hand break or get disfigured hehe.

Wanting to display your mini figures? Our very own Wetwired, Lego Nut Extraordinaire has one of the coolest methods for displaying your collection:
Wetwired's Flickr Gallery of Minifigures

The frames are IKEA Ribba Frames.

What is the depth of these frames Wet? Do you know which frame it is exactly? I need to purchase a couple if they aren't to crazy expensive.

It looks like this item. Is this the right one? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00078051/

Off all the methods I've seen, the IKEA shadow frames are my favorite for mainly display purposes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went a bit different route as I "play" with my minifigures frequently and need easy access to them. Any shadow frame or display case with opening fronts were too expensive for me. Here's the 2 approaches I took. One for display and easy access. The other for storage and easy access.

Display ($10 display case + ~$10 of LEGO parts which is optional)

http://statigr.am/p/186455291754263438_48890075

$10 plastic display case from Container Store (available online too).
The container is almost exactly 30x15 studs in dimensions.

The levels are adjustable. I configured it to have 3 levels and added some plates and bricks to make each level have 2 levels to give a 6 staggered level look. I don't recall the pricing, but LEGO pieces probably cost around $10 as I have access to LEGO pick-a-brick for the 2x4 bricks.

Display cases are stackable. If anyone is interested, let me know and I can take a better and more recent photo. Not as convenient as a display case with opening front, but not too bad for access.

Storage ($5 baseplate + ~$5 plastic container)

http://statigr.am/p/192614052952879352_48890075

$5 baseplate
~$5 plastic container. Container is from Walmart. Plate just fits in the width, but container is rectangular so extra space for storing other things if you want. Lid is loose and completely removable and locks in place by 2 latches.
Containers stack very nicely.

If you really want to pack them in, you can remove the accessories from the hands and move most of the minifigs so they are only 1 stud apart. As my collection grows, I plan on doing that. Also, for rarely used minifigs I will probably put them in plastic bags and just pile them in a container.

Let me know if anyone is interested in better and alternative views. Those photos are old Instagram photos I took a year ago when I was getting back into LEGO from dark ages.

Any idea how much longer The Millennium Falcon is going to be in print? It's one of those sets I know I want but I keep pushing it down my purchase list for other things.

I am thinking, like the X-wing, this is one of those evergreen set so it probably be around for awhile or at least until they plan a new one. I know they are still readily available at my Wal-Mart, TRU and LEGO store.

Ironmask

Wetwired (and anybody else)...do you ever worry about the strain you might be putting on the fig's hands?

The surfer girl in this picture, for example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wetwired/7361275460/in/set-72157630102507252

Whenever a fig comes with a printed tile (like the disco record, or the Paris Hilton cell phone) I always hesitate to do the "twist" to have them hold it.

Am I crazy?

the surfer board was made exactly to be hold with the minifig' hands (credits to the minifigs encyclopedia)

Off all the methods I've seen, the IKEA shadow frames are my favorite for mainly display purposes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went a bit different route as I "play" with my minifigures frequently and need easy access to them. Any shadow frame or display case with opening fronts were too expensive for me. Here's the 2 approaches I took. One for display and easy access. The other for storage and easy access.

Display ($10 display case + ~$10 of LEGO parts which is optional)

http://statigr.am/p/186455291754263438_48890075

$10 plastic display case from Container Store (available online too).
The container is almost exactly 30x15 studs in dimensions.

The levels are adjustable. I configured it to have 3 levels and added some plates and bricks to make each level have 2 levels to give a 6 staggered level look. I don't recall the pricing, but LEGO pieces probably cost around $10 as I have access to LEGO pick-a-brick for the 2x4 bricks.

Display cases are stackable. If anyone is interested, let me know and I can take a better and more recent photo. Not as convenient as a display case with opening front, but not too bad for access.

Storage ($5 baseplate + ~$5 plastic container)

http://statigr.am/p/192614052952879352_48890075

$5 baseplate
~$5 plastic container. Container is from Walmart. Plate just fits in the width, but container is rectangular so extra space for storing other things if you want. Lid is loose and completely removable and locks in place by 2 latches.
Containers stack very nicely.

If you really want to pack them in, you can remove the accessories from the hands and move most of the minifigs so they are only 1 stud apart. As my collection grows, I plan on doing that. Also, for rarely used minifigs I will probably put them in plastic bags and just pile them in a container.

Let me know if anyone is interested in better and alternative views. Those photos are old Instagram photos I took a year ago when I was getting back into LEGO from dark ages.

Can you link me to that case? I would like to try it out!

rallaren

Finally caved on the Pick-Up Tow Truck. it has one of the best price to brick ratio I've seen I think. Wasn't that fun to build sadly. Favorite Technic sets so far are probably Logging truck and Excavator.

No more space.

Edit: oops tail lights fixed.

Calm Killer

Finally caved on the Pick-Up Tow Truck. it has one of the best price to brick ratio I've seen I think. Wasn't that fun to build sadly. Favorite Technic sets so far are probably Logging truck and Excavator.

No more space.

that tow truck is a little over skill for that speeder.

DJ_Lae

Noo, delivery estimate for the b-wing changed from today to tomorrow.

I wonder how long the build will take if I mix all the bags.

The Doop

is your b-wing really just perched on its tip? wont it drop over by the faintest of disturbances?

Just did that for the fun of it. Yeah one little nudge of the table and it would surely topple, but I'm impressed with how well balanced it is considering. I'm using the stand that came with it, but I'm thinking about building one that holds it vertically.

Just did that for the fun of it. Yeah one little nudge of the table and it would surely topple, but I'm impressed with how well balanced it is considering. I'm using the stand that came with it, but I'm thinking about building one that holds it vertically.

Leave it like that. If anybody goes near it just shriek at them.

My TMNT LEGO showed up just now with Han and Poster included. No Chima throw in so I wonder what the $$$ limit was as I spent $102.

Or maybe it was not for Canadians.

flyingpig

Neo Member
I got the china throw in with just the b wing and that was only 99. Whi knows. Maybe lego hates Canada.

Got the box, thanks phonicible!

Top Bottom