• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

1$ per case!? Where!?

Last time it was from Hobby Lobby during a sale around Black Friday. I bought 50 cases.

50 cases!?! That's over 800 minifigures if you only stored one in each compartment. You use them for LEGO parts too?

I have the same containers too, but use them for storing small LEGO pieces and minifig accessories and loose body parts I didn't care too much about. I didn't like the idea of the minifigs moving around and scratching each other. I know it's most likely negligible, but I'm anal that way.

I don't have a Hobby Lobby nearby and saw them online, but wasn't willing to pay the shipping. Luckily, I found same one at Jo-Ann Fabrics on sale. Just checked and I'm not finding them online anymore. They were made by Darice and called craft containers or something like that.

ghostmind

50 cases!?! That's over 800 minifigures if you only stored one in each compartment. You use them for LEGO parts too?

I have the same containers too, but use them for storing small LEGO pieces and minifig accessories and loose body parts I didn't care too much about. I didn't like the idea of the minifigs moving around and scratching each other. I know it's most likely negligible, but I'm anal that way.

I don't have a Hobby Lobby nearby and saw them online, but wasn't willing to pay the shipping. Luckily, I found same one at Jo-Ann Fabrics on sale. Just checked and I'm not finding them online anymore. They were made by Darice and called craft containers or something like that.

I've still got a bunch that are empty, but if I catch up to my backlog I will easy fill them. I use them just for minifigs, except one which has various animals.

I just checked, and they are Darice Craft Storage Boxes.

Yeah, the cockpit is awesome. The way the SNOT on th sides comes together, the thing feels solid as a rock. The rest of the jet is even better.

Glad they got the air skiff out of the way early. Nothing special about that piece or build. But I would have loved for LEGO to make a big alien snake/dragon that Hulk smashed. The few Chiatauri builds from last years sets were noting special.

Glad they got the air skiff out of the way early. Nothing special about that piece or build. But I would have loved for LEGO to make a big alien snake/dragon that Hulk smashed. The few Chiatauri builds from last years sets were noting special.
They were good for giving me gold and dark tan pieces for Mocs. Otherwise, they were crap.

Draxal

Heh, I just built the Quinjet yesterday too, I like it but it just made me realize how superheroes really doesn't fit that well for the lego them that much as they're not really that many vehicles asides from the Quinjet. It is a nice and fun build though and sturdy as a rock.

Heh, I just built the Quinjet yesterday too, I like it but it just made me realize how superheroes really doesn't fit that well for the lego them that much as they're not really that many vehicles asides from the Quinjet. It is a nice and fun build though and sturdy as a rock.
ermUkmA.gif

There are many cool things they could make for super heroes, but they would be mainly appealing to comic nerds instead of the general public. For the X-Men they could make the Blackbird, mansion, or danger room. Fantastic Four would have the fantasticar or Four Freedoms Plaza. JLA would have the Watchtower.

There are many cool things they could make for super heroes, but they would be mainly appealing to comic nerds instead of the general public. For the X-Men they could make the Blackbird, mansion, or danger room. Fantastic Four would have the fantasticar or Four Freedoms Plaza. JLA would have the Watchtower.

What? No mention of the Spider-mobile?!

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_130_page_--_Spider-Mobile_%28Earth-616%29.jpg

Ironmask

So I'd like to create some new minifigure weapons after seeing how Lego modified Boba Fett's blaster in the Desert Skiff set (small SW pistol + Lightsaber hilt).

Does anyone have any other ideas on weapon creations? I'd really like to make a minigun to replace the space pistol+binocular I have on my War Machine minifig at the moment. And yes, I know there are lots of 3rd party weapons for sale on the net.

Im just waiting to make a big purchase of those when i have extra cash. But while i'm on that subject. I saw someones War Machine a few pages back with a 3rd party minigun. Does anyone know which company's minigun that is? I've seen several already, but they don't seem very compatible or too bulky.

my only invention so far:

4623236.jpg
+
4289538.jpg
attached on the lower frame = MP5 Kurtz :/

It's odd that I really don't find the appeal of the Death Star, although I really like all of the other Star Wars stuff. I guess the reason I never bit on SSD or Death Star is because of all the Gray mix that they have. I know it is the only way to make them accurate - but it holds me off from buying them. I love the scale of them, just not the overall look of the gray parts.

I like the idea of an ewok village, or something of that nature. Perhaps a Mos Eisley Cantina display set in the $400-$600 range. I would be all over something with some color!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Besides me?

Yeah, i get where you are coming from - the mainstream appeal wouldn't be there. I'm wondering what they could put in there to sweeten the deal...

But they cannot keep the Death Star as the center-piece indefinitely. The minifigs in it are starting to show their age, and a simple refresh of the set would leave previous buyers rather upset.

So what else could replace the Death Star? What could be the next giant playset with 20 minifigs?

Ewok village could be a nice diorama piece. Base entrance, speeder bikes, trees, treehouses, ambushes (logs etc), shuttle landing pad and shuttle, shield generator, C3PO on the throne etc.

I don't think anything could ever match the Death Star from being able to recreate iconic scenes though

Ponn

Banned
It's odd that I really don't find the appeal of the Death Star, although I really like all of the other Star Wars stuff. I guess the reason I never bit on SSD or Death Star is because of all the Gray mix that they have. I know it is the only way to make them accurate - but it holds me off from buying them. I love the scale of them, just not the overall look of the gray parts.

I like the idea of an ewok village, or something of that nature. Perhaps a Mos Eisley Cantina display set in the $400-$600 range. I would be all over something with some color!

I've been avoiding the Star Wars line like the plague for the mercy of my wallet. It would be such a money pit for me and my ocd having to collect everything. Strangely though the Death Star holds no appeal for me. The amount of figures and their coolness factor are indeed awesome but i'm disappointed in the model itself. To me the Death Star's exterior is iconic, not just the green death lights outside but the surface. It's just one big round diorama that doesn't really look like the Death Star to me. If they had opted for something more like Orthanc with one half being the outside with the green laser beam, tower cannons and the trench run with maybe some mini model xwings/millenium falcon and tie fighters and then the back half with what they have going on now I might be more interested in it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I think we've had this discussion before, but how are you guys sorting/storing pieces for easy access during MOC fun?

I believe the general consensus is to sort by shape, not by colour. It's much easier to find a red 2x3 brick among other 2x3 bricks than lots of differently shaped red bricks. If you're talking about actual storage solutions then I can't help as my collection is severely lacking compared to others around here!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think we've had this discussion before, but how are you guys sorting/storing pieces for easy access during MOC fun?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41602177&postcount=15577

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41602537&postcount=15579

basically break down pieces into families - the more pieces you have, the more you'll need a space per piece - for smaller collections you can group two or three types into one

all by size/shape first, then if/when you find yourself with a ton of one shape in a particular colour, start separating down again so you have more than one space for one shape. so eg when I break down Tower Bridge I'll have so many tan cheese slopes that they'll swamp the other colours, so I'll keep them separately and have two cheese sections, next to each other.

As much as I love the Cloud City idea, I would definitely prefer the Ewok village. I grew up with a bootleg Betamax copy of Jedi so it's always been my favorite of the three (sacrilege I know).

The idea of a 3,500+ piece Ewok Village is so appealing...all that foliage!

Well your mileage will of course vary depending on your city and the number of LEGO fans in the area and such...plus we DID have it on Mother's Day weekend which could have lightened our load a little.

I would just hate to see a fellow fan miss out on the set if there's a remote chance to get it, because I really like it a lot personally.

The more I think about it the more wary I get. This store is opening in the most popular mall in North America's 4th largest city.

I had a buddy that went to the opening of another local store (at a significantly less popular mall) and there were close to a thousand people snaked through the corridors lined up.

Ponn

Banned
Yeah, I guess I'm thinking for larger collections...How do you actually get at all your parts? Size/shape > color for sure.

I'm liking the idea so far at looking in stores like Hobby Lobby and craft stores for sorters and cases. Maybe for plates and larger pieces just a cheap plastic drawer set from Walmart. I'm not quite there yet for needing a storage solution but i'm really close, probably next week when I get two delayed shipments. I've been debating tearing down some vehicles from my Monster Fighter sets and Weathertop and smaller LoTR/Hobbit sets to make room.

Dammnit Lego-Gaf, I never intended to get that far in I would need storage solutions for parts. Or planning MOC's.

I made a bunch of improvements to my micro scale Hogwarts (including one new feature that really gives it some life). I should have all my Bricklink orders by Friday, so pics to come.

Deefuzz

wait, what??? i was there on friday and did not see them. i did see quite the supply of fire brigades.

The store set was the Saturday freebie for spending over $75 in the store. All our giveaways for the day were behind the registers in boxes. On Friday it was a t-shirt, Sunday a minifig pack.

Deefuzz

The more I think about it the more wary I get. This store is opening in the most popular mall in North America's 4th largest city.

I had a buddy that went to the opening of another local store (at a significantly less popular mall) and there were close to a thousand people snaked through the corridors lined up.

Oh wow! Yeah then that is another beast all together. :(

Sorry man. I hope somehow someway you can make it happen, but that is a frightening thought :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Love the sorting methods. I will probably make some stops at a Hobby Lobby or Michael's soon to get some ideas. I've actually not been buying LEGO lately, mostly just Nanoblocks (I know, blasphemy, but I have found a new love in these things). Sorting ANY building blocks is a necessary evil.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
How is the regular (9493) X-Wing? Is it a decent enough set for someone who's not got the budget for a UCS, however wonderful it may be?

How is the regular (9493) X-Wing? Is it a decent enough set for someone who's not got the budget for a UCS, however wonderful it may be?

Regular X-Wing is a great set. One of the best ones put out last year.
Just whatever you do, do not look at the UCS in person before getting the regular one. Once you see the difference in person, your wallet is doomed.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Regular X-Wing is a great set. One of the best ones put out last year.
Just whatever you do, do not look at the UCS in person before getting the regular one. Once you see the difference in person, your wallet is doomed.

Haha, that's what I'm thinking. I think I'd be kicked out of the house if I got the UCS X-Wing though. I've been avoiding the Star Wars line despite it being my favourite series based on the damage it'd do to my wallet, but I think I can allow myself the X-Wing. All I have right now is the one from the polybag, and even though it's a fun little thing it'd be nice to have something that better resembles the "real" thing.

SpeedNut

So just another B-Wing Report. Got the B-Wing itself plus the Chima Speedorz Starter Set pack-in and that damn Mr. Gold sticker on Saturday. On Monday I got a bubble-pack from USPS with Han Hoth, the poster, and another Speedorz Starter Set.

I guess this could be their last-gasp effort to get it to catch on?

I know they had high hopes Chima would be more popular than Ninjago. Maybe based on market research or something. But I guess it isn't catching on, or it didn't hit as fast as they wanted.
Maybe now they will do a marketing push for Galaxy Squad then. :)

As much as I love the Cloud City idea, I would definitely prefer the Ewok village. I grew up with a bootleg Betamax copy of Jedi so it's always been my favorite of the three (sacrilege I know).
We had a bootleg VHS copy ROTJ when I was a kid, but it was difficult to watch because every time there was an explosion or a laser blast, the screen would get all garbled for a second or two like there was some kind of interference or something. It was really bizarre.

R-User!

Besides me?

Yeah, i get where you are coming from - the mainstream appeal wouldn't be there. I'm wondering what they could put in there to sweeten the deal...

But they cannot keep the Death Star as the center-piece indefinitely. The minifigs in it are starting to show their age, and a simple refresh of the set would leave previous buyers rather upset.

So what else could replace the Death Star? What could be the next giant playset with 20 minifigs?

4000 piece Cloud City!

"No, I, am your playset!"

Edit: Comes with 1000 piece Slave 1 refresh!

R-User!

I know they had high hopes Chima would be more popular than Ninjago. Maybe based on market research or something. But I guess it isn't catching on, or it didn't hit as fast as they wanted.

I think they'll push Ninjago hard when it comes back.

Perhaps we should start a new thread for LEGO storage. LOL

This is a pricey (too rich for my blood) but very cool option which coincidentally was just posted on thebrickblogger.
Each case is $25 but are specifically designed for LEGO/LEGO compatible.

http://thebrickblogger.com/2013/05/lego-minifigure-display-cases/

LEGO-Minifigure-Display-Case-with-More-Minifigures.jpg

LEGO-Minifig-Display-Case-Minifigure-Collection.jpg

That's a bit pricey. I found them on sale at 50% off and I think I paid about $2 so it was retailing about $4 at Jo-Ann Fabrics ( this was less than 6 months ago - and don't ask why I go to Jo-Ann Fabrics o_O ). Ghostmind was wise to snatch up 50 for $1.

I'm liking the idea so far at looking in stores like Hobby Lobby and craft stores for sorters and cases. Maybe for plates and larger pieces just a cheap plastic drawer set from Walmart. I'm not quite there yet for needing a storage solution but i'm really close, probably next week when I get two delayed shipments. I've been debating tearing down some vehicles from my Monster Fighter sets and Weathertop and smaller LoTR/Hobbit sets to make room.

Dammnit Lego-Gaf, I never intended to get that far in I would need storage solutions for parts. Or planning MOC's.

Walmart is my source for plastic boxes and drawers. I'm a bit OCD and like my containers to match as much as possible. Any inexpensive plastic containers that you can stack are good storage.

Don't forget to say, "Thank you NeoGAF LEGO thread", I guess "Dammnit Lego-Gaf" is close enough.

Call me crazy (or may be I just like the official looking stuff, yeah OCD) I really like those LEGO branded storage. I bought them on sale however from Fred Myers. They are just too expensive without the sale price since you can find similar plastic storage for way cheaper.

I like the storage bin with latch so I can take my stuff into living room and build with my kids. Though my daughter did comment last night that our spare reading/guest room now look like some little boy room. I told her it is a little boy room.

Those minifigs display ideas are all awesome. LEGO Gaf have become my source of money pit. I mean seriously I am working extra days at work to support this hobby.

EGzBKEml.jpg

Oh yeah! TRU also had new Castle, all the new Creator stuff too. Only Galaxy Squad they didn't get was the Titan.

I was strong. Almost got the new house and plane.

golem

Not sure why they decided not to run Ninjago this year.. that franchise can be a cash cow for years to come. I'm sure it will return soon enough

Top Bottom