• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Makes sense.

Death Star is old
Ewok Village should be huge to be amazing: Three tree minimum!!!

Huge replaces Huge!

LEGO: "hey AFOLs. Glad you like the new ewok village. You can make it even more epic by joining together two or three sets to make a huge forest!"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
"Swoop down and drop rocks on the head of the evil AT-ST from your silent attack glider"
"Defeat the scout troopers in a thrilling and deadly race through the forest on your speeder bike"
"Smash the empire with the cunning log ambush. Complete with AT-ST with 'exploding head' action"
"Pilot Darth Vader's imperial shuttle to the forest clearing"
"Help Chewie drive the captured AT-ST and free the rebels"
"The ewoks sit, amazed, as C3-PO regales them with tales of adventure"

How about Star Wars A new Hope Throne's Room, the set comes with only 300 pieces but here is the kicker: 200 minifigures included!!
Special Edition Crying Sad Face No Medal for You Chewbacca included.

frogg609

"Smash the empire with the cunning log ambush. Complete with AT-ST with 'exploding head' action"

This would be amazing! I'd love it.

I'm halfway through box 3 on my Best Star. Such an amazing build. So great watching it come together. Now, with it possibly going away, should I get a second one to hold onto to sell in a few years? It seems like the market has been pretty well saturated with them.

DJ_Lae

B-wing delivered according to my wife - cannot wait to get home.

Will see if they actually threw the Chima thing into any Canada orders, I'm not expecting it given what people have said already.

B-wing delivered according to my wife - cannot wait to get home.

Will see if they actually threw the Chima thing into any Canada orders, I'm not expecting it given what people have said already.

Mine is arriving tomorrow, I don't think we get the Chima thing here, this is Canada after all.

I'm halfway through box 3 on my Best Star. Such an amazing build. So great watching it come together. Now, with it possibly going away, should I get a second one to hold onto to sell in a few years? It seems like the market has been pretty well saturated with them.

Do you want to be a speculator and drive up the cost of the set when it goes off the market?

All this talk about Death Star disappearing this year is making me nervous. I wonder if I should bring an extra suitcase with me on my next trip south.

DZJSrPnl.jpg

I bought this when I first got back into LEGO and realize they are just very pricey, very bulky, doesn't hold very many figures and well like my daughter said, looks like something that belong in little boy room. I do like the building block design and how they can be stack. These come in larger size also.

5bdG2bwl.jpg

I also pick this up but really it was just for that spaceman mini-figs. I miss my the old spacemen I had when I was a kid. May they rest in peace.

TrzXmGXl.jpg

All my extra mini-figs are currently in these trays. I am sure I will out grow them soon enough. These are also pricey but I like the LEGO theme for my LEGO. (Yeah, I know lame). You can pick up similar bulk storage for cheaper which I will probably have to do soon if my purchase keep going at this rate.

Ponn

Banned
Walmart is my source for plastic boxes and drawers. I'm a bit OCD and like my containers to match as much as possible. Any inexpensive plastic containers that you can stack are good storage.

Don't forget to say, "Thank you NeoGAF LEGO thread", I guess "Dammnit Lego-Gaf" is close enough.

Thanks, i will look in wally world next time im in there. I dont need like the drawers some have yet but im going to need like a plastic storage case or two with dividers.

And yea I love LegoGAF. My wallet loathes LegoGAF.

DJ_Lae

Just noticed Future Shop has some Lego on sale for us Canadians (today only I think).

15% off:
-Star Wars
-City
-Ninjago
-Chima
-Technic
-Lord of the Rings
-Hero Factory (blech)

Interestingly some of their prices are lower than Canadian MSRP, though most are the same inflated prices we see everywhere. 15% is also less of a deal than Toys R Us usually grants, but it does cover more series here.

I ordered myself a little riddles of the ring set for $10, which is three bucks less than MSRP, as I figured it would make a good desk piece at work and I needed something to boost me over $20 for free shipping anyway.

For anyone who doesn't have it, too, Gandalf Arrives is $12, $4 less than MSRP, plus there's an extra 15% off once you dump it in your cart. Can't go wrong with that, it's one of my favourite small sets.

When I was at TRU and saw Hive Crawler for. $75, I thought it was a crazy markup from the $60 I thought the set was. On break at work now and I see MSRP is actually $70. Wtf? Pretty high for the piece count. Of course it also makes me want to go back and get it.

frogg609

Do you want to be a speculator and drive up the cost of the set when it goes off the market?

All this talk about Death Star disappearing this year is making me nervous. I wonder if I should bring an extra suitcase with me on my next trip south.

Well now I feel like a jerk. I'm not a fan of driving up costs, though it happens anyway. However, an auction starting at 200.00, or giving it to a GAF member at cost at a later date, I'm more of a fan of that.

Or I'll just keep my 400.00 and buy more LEGO with it. ;)

Well now I feel like a jerk. I'm not a fan of driving up costs, though it happens anyway. However, an auction starting at 200.00, or giving it to a GAF member at cost at a later date, I'm more of a fan of that.

Save the $400 so you can buy 2 Orthanc's in July to make a fully enclosed tower ;)

ghostmind

When I was at TRU and saw Hive Crawler for. $75, I thought it was a crazy markup from the $60 I thought the set was. On break at work now and I see MSRP is actually $70. Wtf? Pretty high for the piece count. Of course it also makes me want to go back and get it.

You should - it's supposed to be a great set. And get the Creator Family House while you are there, because the treehouse kid needs his family.

I didn't mean that to come across like an accusation. I'd likely get both the best star and the SSD if I had the go-ahead to spend that much of our disposable income. My wife's profession makes financial prudence a household mantra.

I really like the look of the old Star Destroyer (Imperial?) more than the current one. Wish I'd had LEGO on the radar when it came out.

Ponn

Banned
So I was waiting to do a bigger group shot once I got everything in but this is what I mostly splurged on the last two weeks.

Mz95adO.jpg

Two things are missing. First is the warehouse deals Mines of Moria that UPS lost and supposedly Amazon says they are working on but is on backorder. The other is the Haunted House. Which I received yesterday but could not even open the gigantic box to look at it because with tears in my eyes I had to take it back to UPS store with a return label. My TV broke last week and I had to make a decision to keep HH or send it back and get a TV. I love Lego, but Game of Thrones + Last of Us coming out, I have my limits.

Also I should probably explain the re-purchase of some LoTR stuff there. Sept. last year my cousin committed suicide. She was sort of the black sheep of her family, and she was a bit crazy but we talked alot, I helped her through some stuff and understood some stuff she was going through. She left behind her son who was already in custody of her ex and his new wife, nice kid but hes already been through alot and this was just really tragic for him. Christmas came around and I always try celebrate it and go all out for my family, extended family and friends but given this and I still didn't have a job from the one I lost in August it was rough.

I still wanted to do something for him and the kid really likes LoTR, we've watched thr trilogy together a couple times now. So I decided to break down my Battle of Helms deep set and a couple others and I gave them to him for Christmas. He was ecstatic and we even built part of Helms Deep on Christmas day. I didn't regret doing that for him at all but I still missed my Helms Deep set so with the Orthanc announcement I and being back to work for a couple months now I decided to splurge before they retire and get my own back. So yea, I basically get to build Helms Deep for a third time now.

Those minifigs display ideas are all awesome. LEGO Gaf have become my source of money pit. I mean seriously I am working extra days at work to support this hobby.

Hobby? I'm afraid you're still in denial. First step is to admit your addiction, then go out and buy more LEGO.

EGzBKEml.jpg

Oh yeah! TRU also had new Castle, all the new Creator stuff too. Only Galaxy Squad they didn't get was the Titan.

I was strong. Almost got the new house and plane.

Can't wait to see photos of the that Galaxy Squad Mech VS Chima Monkey Mech!

Not sure why they decided not to run Ninjago this year.. that franchise can be a cash cow for years to come. I'm sure it will return soon enough

LEGO only runs non-evergreen themes for a given life of ~1-2 years. LEGO plans things way in advance so they already had plans to end Ninjago with the TV show. The fact that they say they will bring back the TV series for another season is HUGE testament LEGO knows the demand is high. THere never was a mention of new sets, but I'm 99% sure there will be to go with the next season of Ninjago.

Also, we know most toys have a given lifetime of popularity before it fades.

ewok village sounds terribly boring imho.

Use your imagination. Dino hunters hunting down the Ewoks! I'm waiting to see. I was surprised how many sets I thought were meh from one or two photos. After seeing video reviews and alternate shots of a bunch, I was sold.

5bdG2bwl.jpg

I also pick this up but really it was just for that spaceman mini-figs. I miss my the old spacemen I had when I was a kid. May they rest in peace.

I got that one too for the classic blue spaceman re-issue too. Once it was 50% off, I ended up with about 5 of them. $5 was a huge bargain. Plan on using those window frames to make a sizeable building someday.

mrkgoo

A Kmart here still has series 6 minifigs. They are now on clearance for 40% off so I picked up a Minotaur, a robot, and a butcher (well, i think).

When I stopped at tru before work and got the sets, I chatted with a mother and her kid looking for good sets.

Convinced them to get Lex Luthor armor, Power Mech Creator set, and Silver Mine Shootout. :)

I still wanted to do something for him and the kid really likes LoTR, we've watched thr trilogy together a couple times now. So I decided to break down my Battle of Helms deep set and a couple others and I gave them to him for Christmas. He was ecstatic and we even built part of Helms Deep on Christmas day. I didn't regret doing that for him at all but I still missed my Helms Deep set so with the Orthanc announcement I and being back to work for a couple months now I decided to splurge before they retire and get my own back. So yea, I basically get to build Helms Deep for a third time now.

You are awesome for this. Just wanted to say that.

You're doing the lord's work. Good looking out.

The lady was asking the TRU clerk if the LEGO Idea Book was good to teach her 8 year old son new ideas. He was nice, but not a huge help. She started asking her son what he wanted then asked me what was good.
I inquired how crazy she wanted to go in spending and what had he built before. She would go up to $100, and he had done some city stuff before and a Creator car. The Lex Luthor and Power Mech were easy sells because they were smaller, but I had to sell the Silver Mine hard. The mother was sold real fast, but I turned the box around and pointed out and talked about all the awesome interactive parts of the mine, and the kid got really hyper and excited at the dropping boulder and explodable walls on it.

Felt good. Then I went to work. Now it is Mech time!

The lady was asking the TRU clerk if the LEGO Idea Book was good to teach her 8 year old son new ideas. He was nice, but not a huge help. She started asking her son what he wanted then asked me what was good.
I inquired how crazy she wanted to go in spending and what had he built before. She would go up to $100, and he had done some city stuff before and a Creator car. The Lex Luthor and Power Mech were easy sells because they were smaller, but I had to sell the Silver Mine hard. The mother was sold real fast, but I turned the box around and pointed out and talked about all the awesome interactive parts of the mine, and the kid got really hyper and excited at the dropping boulder and explodable walls on it.

Use that story for your phone interview.

TripOpt55

Awesome story!

Galaxy Squad Eradicator Mech is finished. Pics tomorrow or later.

Good build. Love the transforming aspect all the GS sets have. The bugs in this are very good and cool. Love the GS robot getting heavy artillery again. Only real complaint is the arms of the mech. The short, stubby arms are neat and powerful looking, but I wish there was another joint in them.

Tuvoc

Galaxy Squad Eradicator Mech is finished. Pics tomorrow or later.

Good build. Love the transforming aspect all the GS sets have. The bugs in this are very good and cool. Love the GS robot getting heavy artillery again. Only real complaint is the arms of the mech. The short, stubby arms are neat and powerful looking, but I wish there was another joint in them.

Glad to hear its a good build. I've been looking forward to this Mech for awhile now. You've sold me on it PhonBon.

P.S. thanks for the sky-diver. You're the man!

Wetwired (and anybody else)...do you ever worry about the strain you might be putting on the fig's hands?

The surfer girl in this picture, for example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wetwired/7361275460/in/set-72157630102507252

Whenever a fig comes with a printed tile (like the disco record, or the Paris Hilton cell phone) I always hesitate to do the "twist" to have them hold it.

Am I crazy?

Well that because you have wimpy Mini-figs. Mine claim to work out (but secretly power by our yellow sun). He can hold a sport car easily let alone a surfboard or cell phone.

82KZsLPl.jpg

It's been awhile since I build a real world vehicle LEGO. It's amazing how far these elements have come since then. It's nice little set, I was surprise that it comes with two booklets.

R-User!

When I stopped at tru before work and got the sets, I chatted with a mother and her kid looking for good sets.

Convinced them to get Lex Luthor armor, Power Mech Creator set, and Silver Mine Shootout. :)

I've done things like this a few times too, and it's been fun seeing people get excited knowing they're going to get a good set! :)

I've done things like this a few times too, and it's been fun seeing people get excited knowing they're going to get a good set! :)
That kid won't know what hit him with Silver Mine Shootout. That set is a young boys dream set, and affordable for many parents. The more I think about it, the better the set gets. Of course, I am a fan of the interactive playsets. But the sheer volume of interactive elements tastefully crammed into that set is genius. Nothing feels forced at all.

Anyways, pics of the bugs and figures from the Eradicator Mech:

The two bugs. Great lil things to build, and lots of character. Sadly, they are only built to die.

The Galaxy Squad soldiers themselves. Yes, the instructions call for him to dual wield. And, like Bug Obliterator, the robot gets to wield a BFG.

Will get pics of the mech itself later.

I don't know if I can hold out for a sale on that mech. I bought all my Galaxy Squad set on sale and clearance prices. Speaking of that I still have Star Slicer to put together.

Top Bottom