• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Oh hey.... More police sets. LEGO must make a killing off these sets. There is no other reason to beat it into the ground like they have for years now. I wish city could be based on other items.

A car dealer ship would be nice. More gas station stuff. How about a parking lot. Not a garage but a parking lot.

I just want more elaborate crime scenes so I can integrate them with modulars or superhero sets..... police cars are boring.

Saves me money that most kids have different tastes than I did at that age....I always loved playing with minifigures in models of locations but never cared for most vehicles. Only reason I had as many star wars ships as I did when I was 10 was because my mom is a star wars nut who used me as an excuse to buy em.

shadow29

Neo Member
60041 Crook Pursuit $6
60042 High Speed Police Chase $15
60043 Prisoner Transport $20
60044 Mobile Police Unit $30
60045 Police Patrol $40
60046 Helicopter Surveillance $60
60047 Police Station $100
60048 Thief Hideout $30 (final name may be different)

I wonder if they police will be designed to match the style from the movie at all? If they don't load the movie sets with more police, it may be a decent gamble to have these sets fill that gap.

[What say you?

You could still get some sci fi in there. Like a War of the worlds style walker walking through a half destroyed building or something. Have a bunch of figs running for their lives and what not. Outside of that I am strangely drawing a big blank on sci fi themes. I'm stuck with Futurama, Robotech and Stargate on the mind, but they don't quite fit in the city scenes that well. Argh this is now going to eat at me at work for the rest of the day....

Edit: Though I can't recall the movie/game, but maybe some sort of giant worm monster appearing from the middle of an intersection. That could be pretty cool looking.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I just want more elaborate crime scenes so I can integrate them with modulars or superhero sets..... police cars are boring.

Saves me money that most kids have different tastes than I did at that age....I always loved playing with minifigures in models of locations but never cared for most vehicles. Only reason I had as many star wars ships as I did when I was 10 was because my mom is a star wars nut who used me as an excuse to buy em.

They make all of these Police sets, but surprisingly there has not been a police station modular yet. Seems like it would be a no brainer. Hopefully it is Jamie and other designers keeping the overflow of Police away from the modular sets.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I've joined the dark side and started collecting KRE-O Cityville figures.

They're like chibi style figures with minifigure heads on microfigure bodies. I like them better than regular Kreon figures but of course not as good as LEGO minifigures. My favorite is the space alien.

Which set does the alien come in? I got most of the "blind" bags and I haven't seen him in any other sets.

As not-LEGO as these things are, I really like Roboticus!

K9T0yTw.png

R-User!

My god, that Rivendale scene, amazing.

Ok guys I need your help deciding what I do next year for the Lego expo.

My initial thoughts are to do something completely different however I'm going back and forth.

This years display got a lot of good reaction from the patrons at the show, a few people proclaimed it their favourite display and it made the "highlights" for one websites review of the show, people seemed to dig the movie theme.

On top of that the fantasy display next to mine had a list of fairytale characters printed out for patrons to find in the display. People really seemed to like the interactivity, I blatantly copied the idea straight away and printed up a list of the characters in my scene.

As well as the interactivity a lot of the popular displays had moving elements of some kind, trains, rides and other various motorised things. Something I'd like to expand in to next year (though I'm leaning away from trains specifically as there was a LOT of trains on show).

I also noted that displays that are basically an assortment of smaller vignettes or sculptures aren't dwelled on by the patrons for very long compared to big scenes, people glance and move on pretty quickly (including myself).

So I have one of 2 options.

1. Start from scratch with a completely new idea for a display. Probably vignettes based on my "job bots"
  2. I expand upon my current theme of movies/tv characters, add some moving elements (somehow), replace the bought sets in my display (town hall, pet shop, cinema, haunted house) with buildings of my own design and/or based on movie buildings/locations. As well as adding more famous characters/vehicles like a brick built stay puft marshmellow man. Probably add lights to all the building interiors as well.

I'll preface this all by saying there's several things I will likely never dismantle, the delorean, the ghostbusters firehouse, ecto-1 and the batmobiles

Now there's pros and cons to both...

New display.
Pros
  • I get to build something different.
  • Patrons get to see something different next year.
  • Smaller, self contained builds are easier to manage and do of the course of a year, I can do as many as I have time for without it seeming like something is missing.

Cons
  • I've probably spent easily over $1000 on parts to do this display, about $100 on road baseplates alone.
  • Vignettes seemed to get less attention from the crowd than fulls scenes.
  • No way to really motorize anything with the job bots.

Expanded "movies" theme
Pros
  • I've already spent a lot of money on this display that wouldn't be going to waste.
  • Room to motorise something in the scene.
  • Full scene, more time spent by the crowd viewing.
  • This years display was received well.
  • Only a few buildings (GB firehouse and the alleyway, which would be made to be more solid/modular) would be kept.

Cons
  • Same as last year, nothing new really.
  • I would limit it to "city" based movie scenes, so no fantasy/sci fi buildings, just a street scene.
  • I'm not really making anything drastically new.

What say you?

Keep displaying the Movie theme for at least this next year too. Lol, think of this year as a "beta stage/prototype" year and enjoy the attention that the display brings. I can almost guarantee you that many other train operators or Rivendell displayers dont just dismantle their displays when they get home. You most likely believe this too.

I thought about whether you would want a stationary BttF Emett Brown Train where the doors mechanically open and close on demand. It fits in with the Delorean in your display, and coincidentally it is part of a city (albeit next to a wall on what look like the outskirts of a city/town), and it wouldn't have to be a moving train so you only need a bit of track.

If it's possible, or if you want to go larger than minifig scale, maybe you could somehow make it go from Ground Mode to (Turbo Boost Mode... oh wait, that's Knight Rider) Hovering Train mode all while standing still. (Hidden transparent clear brick stand under train acts as stand as wheels fold away sideways. It would be really cool, but I imagine also potentially very difficult to execute. If you can work in a minifig boy pointing down towards his you know what as an "in-joke" for the moms or dads that MIGHT have seen the gifs out there, that would be epic!

P.S. I asked you earlier about your Bat-Pod on the prior page.

Regarding the BatPod: TL;DR: Can you post front back and side pics so my son can try to build that design?

If so, thanks, if not, no worries; your Pod got out inspirational juices flowing, and he's already built three
variations of the pod already...! :)

Edit: you may get a bit of attention from the train operators as well lol!

neonglow

How cheap? this place has the best/biggest variety of custom weapons as far as I'm concerned.

They are $3 for a 2 pack. Unlike CMF, you can tell what's in the blind bag from codes on the packaging.

Which set does the alien come in? I got most of the "blind" bags and I haven't seen him in any other sets.

As not-LEGO as these things are, I really like Roboticus!

K9T0yTw.png

The space alien is the secret character for the small red plane set.

34E63EBD50569047F546011AAE8CDEA4.jpg

http://m.hasbro.com/hasbro_en_US/product?cid=2599308&id=9A0ED265-5056-9047-F5DC-A9A63EA758E5:en_US

Toys R Us has a buy 1 get 1 half off sale right now.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Why is our LEGO thread being corrupted? Have you no shame!!

neonglow

Compatible weapons that LEGO refuses to make. For LEGO City being such a police state, you'd think they have more than handcuffs.

Give the cheap blind bags a try. You might be surprised with the quality.

Calm Killer

Compatible weapons that LEGO refuses to make. For LEGO City being such a police state, you'd think they have more than handcuffs.

Give the cheap blind bags a try. You might be surprised with the quality.

LEGO land is already in a police state. Only the criminals have weapons! Lol

They do look like good quality weapons.

All these modular images flying around makes me wnat (for the first time) more than the Fire Brigade I already have.

I'm thinking Grand Emporium, Town Hall and Cinema will do and I'll think about the Parisian Restaurant. SO much for being a Space (or Star Wars) only guy...

Also, awesome work Wetwired.

What a way to start off the new thread. The heavy hitter modulars with matching price tags.

Ewok Village just reminds me how freakingly awesome it'd be if we got a Forestmen/Dark Forest set like that.

Why not buy the set and populate it with Forestmen hunting the Ewoks instead of Troopers.

I'd like some Jawa minifigures. I'd be happy with a chibi Sand Crawler. Maybe something for that new line of Star Wars set?

I second this. Jawas and Sand people.

At this point, I wouldn't pay that much for Colby City. If it isn't on clearance now, it will be soon I think.

Of these sets, I would go for the Town Square, Baxter (since it is a TRU exclusive otherwise) or the Sopwith Camel (since it doesn't look like 10,000 series sets are going on sale, save for perhaps on Bridck Friday).

I really want the train set, but holding out for 30% ish off.

any opinions on brick owl?

http://brickowl.com/

I know longtime hardcore brick fanatics may be against something other than bricklink, but I like what brick owl is aiming for honestly, I'm just not sure what the talk is about them so far...

I'm all for competition that benefits the consumer. I don't think many brick fanatics are against alternatives. As long as alternatives deliver on parts, price, and dependability it will be fine.

At the local LEGO Store, last Brick Friday specifically, Star Wars Advent Calendar was 50% off for either $25 or $20. Either price, it was a steal... So I got Star Wars.

What I don't remember is if the City or Friends Advent Calendar was also on sale for 50% off too.

Call your local or closest LEGO store to see if they remember which calendars they had on sale to see if you can plan to pick one up on that day.

Last year there was an issue with production so not many Friends calendars made it to the US. Only LEGO stores sold them too as a result. No discount on Friends Advent Calendars last year in the states.

Pricing and set numbers for ten of the LEGO Movie sets - there should be 7 or 8 more to come.

70800 Movie set 1 $15
70801 Movie set 2 $15
70802 Movie set 3 $25
70803 Movie set 4 $20
70804 Movie set 5 $30
70805 Movie set 6 $30
70806 Movie set 7 $30
70807 Movie set 8 $35
70808 Super Cycle Chase $50
70809 Movie set 10 $70

And the second trailer, which I'm not sure if it ever got posted here.

http://youtu.be/iI8SnQXRA98

Under $300 for the lot. I hope I don't like most of them. My poor wallet.

I've joined the dark side and started collecting KRE-O Cityville figures.

They're like chibi style figures with minifigure heads on microfigure bodies. I like them better than regular Kreon figures but of course not as good as LEGO minifigures. My favorite is the space alien.

The main reason I started collecting them was because they have a variety of weapons that work with LEGO minifigures. They make shotguns, uzis, handguns and rifles. It's a cheap and accessible way to get the weapons you want.

Yes. I saw them as part packs and satisfy my morbid curiosity of "clone" brands.
Also, the heads are standard size and fit LEGO minifigs.

Forgive me LEGOGAF. I have sinned and will repent by buying more LEGO.

neonglow

LEGO land is already in a police state. Only the criminals have weapons! Lol

They do look like good quality weapons.

Here's the KREO codes if you're interested. The ones in bold are the blind packs that have guns.

31401 21 - Agent Stealth & Roboticus - Uzi & Space Gun
31401 22 - Toxic Zombie & Hazmat Henry
31401 23 - Steve Timber & Willy Werewolf - Chainsaw
31401 24 - Mike Medic & Zombie Medic
31401 75 - Sgt. Drill & Zombie Soldier - Handgun
31401 76 - Zombie Outlaw & Sheriff Fastdraw - Revolver & Shotgun
31401 77 - Wavecrawler & Walter Wetsuit - Harpoon
31401 78 - Capt. Firebreak & Red Blaze

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Here's the KREO codes if you're interested. The ones in bold are the blind packs that have guns.

31401 21 - Agent Stealth & Roboticus - Uzi & Space Gun
31401 22 - Toxic Zombie & Hazmat Henry
31401 23 - Steve Timber & Willy Werewolf - Chainsaw
31401 24 - Mike Medic & Zombie Medic
31401 75 - Sgt. Drill & Zombie Soldier - Handgun
31401 76 - Zombie Outlaw & Sheriff Fastdraw - Revolver & Shotgun
31401 77 - Wavecrawler & Walter Wetsuit - Harpoon
31401 78 - Capt. Firebreak & Red Blaze

If anything, at least get Roboticus. What a beast.

If anything, at least get Roboticus. What a beast.

To continue the blasphemy, thebrickblogger.com seems to have picked up on Kre-o Cityville.

http://thebrickblogger.com/2013/10/kre-o-cityville-invasion-introduction/

LEGO-KRE-O-Minifigure-Combinations.jpg

LEGO S@H has discounted a lot of Chima stuff 10-25% off. I guess these sets really aren't selling.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Sales-And-Deals

The Gorilla Mech is now $45.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Gorzan-s-Gorilla-Striker-70008

Gorilla Mech is top 3 of Chima sets I want.
Would <3 me some Chima sets for 30%-50% off. I'll be patient.

ghostmind

75028 Clone Turbo Tank &#8211; $9.99
75029 AAT &#8211; $9.99
75030 Millennium Falcon &#8211; $9.99
75031 TIE Interceptor &#8211; $9.99
75032 X-Wing Fighter &#8211; $9.99
75033 Imperial Star Destroyer &#8211; $9.99
75034 Death Star Troopers &#8211; $16.99
75035 Kashyyyk Troopers &#8211; $16.99
75036 Utapau Troopers &#8211; $16.99
75037 Battle on Saleucami &#8211; $19.99
75038 Jedi Interceptor &#8211; $29.99
75039 V-Wing Starfighter &#8211; $29.99
75040 General Grievous&#8217; Wheel Bike &#8211; $29.99
75041 Vulture Droid &#8211; $29.99
75042 Droid Gunship &#8211; $49.99
75043 AT-AP &#8211; $69.99
75044 Droid Tri-Fighter - TBA
75045 Republic AV-7 Anti-Vehicle Cannon &#8211; $49.99
75046 Coruscant Police Gunship - TBA

These are conversions from Euros, which is usually pretty accurate, but if this is accurate then the price of Battle Packs is going up.

wetwired

You could still get some sci fi in there. Like a War of the worlds style walker walking through a half destroyed building or something. Have a bunch of figs running for their lives and what not. Outside of that I am strangely drawing a big blank on sci fi themes. I'm stuck with Futurama, Robotech and Stargate on the mind, but they don't quite fit in the city scenes that well. Argh this is now going to eat at me at work for the rest of the day....

Edit: Though I can't recall the movie/game, but maybe some sort of giant worm monster appearing from the middle of an intersection. That could be pretty cool looking.

Yeah war of the world's tripods would work. I even have a heap of dark red leaf pieces to use as the red weed.

wetwired

Keep displaying the Movie theme for at least this next year too. Lol, think of this year as a "beta stage/prototype" year and enjoy the attention that the display brings. I can almost guarantee you that many other train operators or Rivendell displayers dont just dismantle their displays when they get home. You most likely believe this too.

I thought about whether you would want a stationary BttF Emett Brown Train where the doors mechanically open and close on demand. It fits in with the Delorean in your display, and coincidentally it is part of a city (albeit next to a wall on what look like the outskirts of a city/town), and it wouldn't have to be a moving train so you only need a bit of track.

If it's possible, or if you want to go larger than minifig scale, maybe you could somehow make it go from Ground Mode to (Turbo Boost Mode... oh wait, that's Knight Rider) Hovering Train mode all while standing still. (Hidden transparent clear brick stand under train acts as stand as wheels fold away sideways. It would be really cool, but I imagine also potentially very difficult to execute. If you can work in a minifig boy pointing down towards his you know what as an "in-joke" for the moms or dads that MIGHT have seen the gifs out there, that would be epic!

P.S. I asked you earlier about your Bat-Pod on the prior page.

Regarding the BatPod: TL;DR: Can you post front back and side pics so my son can try to build that design?

If so, thanks, if not, no worries; your Pod got out inspirational juices flowing, and he's already built three
variations of the pod already...! :)

Edit: you may get a bit of attention from the train operators as well lol!
I was thinking about bigger than the bttf train, like doing the whole clock tower scene with the building.

I did take some more pics of the bat pod. I just need to upload them. I might take more though from all sides including underneath so you can make out the parts better. Keep pestering me if I forget. I'm on the way to work atm and I'll likely have forgotten again in 10 hours when I get home.

R-User!

I was thinking about bigger than the bttf train, like doing the whole clock tower scene with the building.

I did take some more pics of the bat pod. I just need to upload them. I might take more though from all sides including underneath so you can make out the parts better. Keep pestering me if I forget. I'm on the way to work atm and I'll likely have forgotten again in 10 hours when I get home.

Pester.

Edit: I'm working on something thanks to you... Deliberately cryptic.

mojiimbo

The 2 new Minecraft sets that were website exclusives are finally starting to show up at official brick & mortar stores if any of you guys were looking for them.

Ponn

Banned
Well that's not fair LEGO.

XKosEsM.jpg

Is that M.O.D.O.K. upper left?

So question, i'm going to order Daily Bugle, thanksgiving set and a couple CMF and either Winter Cottage or Village Market. Which one should I get? Market will probably not get a discount or price drop at BF but Cottage might, but Cottage might also sell out.

Calm Killer

So question, i'm going to order Daily Bugle, thanksgiving set and a couple CMF and either Winter Cottage or Village Market. Which one should I get? Market will probably not get a discount or price drop at BF but Cottage might, but Cottage might also sell out.

Get the cottage first. It will disappear before the market. This will be the last year for the cottage if the pattern follows. I think that is correct. Can anyone else verify?

Ponn

Banned
Get the cottage first. It will disappear before the market. This will be the last year for the cottage if the pattern follows. I think that is correct. Can anyone else verify?

Yea i'm not figuring it will be around after this year. I'm wondering if its worth it to wait till BF though and hope for a deep discount to try to clearance them out.

Watched Pacific Rim, boy I wish there could have been a couple Lego sets based on this movie. That would have been awesome.

That is Heimdell (sp?). The guard of the rainbow bridge.

I always go for the older ones if I had to choose. Just think of the aftermarket price if you miss out. Makes MSRP look like a great deal.

Yea i'm not figuring it will be around after this year. I'm wondering if its worth it to wait till BF though and hope for a deep discount to try to clearance them out.

Watched Pacific Rim, boy I wish there could have been a couple Lego sets based on this movie. That would have been awesome.

Time for them to give us an updated line of Roboforce?

Ponn

Banned
That is Heimdell (sp?). The guard of the rainbow bridge.

I always go for the older ones if I had to choose. Just think of the aftermarket price if you miss out. Makes MSRP look like a great deal.
Heimdall has a patch over an eye though I thought. Them floating heads.

And yea don't remind me of aftermarket. It's what keeps me from not wanting to get the winter village sets at all not being able to buy the past ones without paying obscene costs.

Time for them to give us an updated line of Roboforce?

Ha. I want the Kaiju to though. I keep looking at my Lex power armor..

Heimdall has a patch over an eye though I thought. Them floating heads.

And yea don't remind me of aftermarket. It's what keeps me from not wanting to get the winter village sets at all not being able to buy the past ones without paying obscene costs.

Ha. I want the Kaiju to though. I keep looking at my Lex power armor..

That Lex Power armor is awesome, I think they could do the Kaiju justice if they got the license. I mean it beats getting burned on movies that keep bombing, right...=p

Kyari

I didn't really realise it until reading through this thread, but so many of the City sets currently are vehicles. There's not a lot going on as far as city buildings go outside of the Modular stuff (and really that shouldn't count.
I've been trying to find sets and figures I can swap in to bulk up my Super Heroes (particularly DC) displays, but there's not much going. Minifigures especially are becoming a pain to use interchangably thanks to the growing trend of tiny parts of yellow minifig colouring at the neckline. I can't bring myself to mix and match skin tone on a figure, its just wrong.

I just ordered the Bugle myself, i assume you also got it for the figures only right? God i HATE that set but Jameson, Spidey, Nova, Beetle and Doom ? that's a must especially at a discount!

10161066593_fd01c7f591_z.jpg

My first mech to actually fit a minifig. Proof:

10103164573_83215bef8d_c.jpg

I love it. I want do my own MOC of Mech base on the old Micronauts Biotron someday.

Whaaaaa? I've never seen LEGO at costco? Where are they located in the store?

They put toys out during holidays period. (Seasonal merchandise). I don't know about your Costco but all the one in my area are already doing Christmas (right along side Halloween, in a few years I am sure we will see them right after Labor Day)

Calm Killer

I love it. I want do my own MOC of Mech base on the old Micronauts Biotron someday.

They put toys out during holidays period. (Seasonal merchandise). I don't know about your Costco but all the one in my area are already doing Christmas (right along side Halloween, in a few years I am sure we will see them right after Labor Day)

Really. I have two about 1.5 hours away. Which is a normal drive for me to any shopping area. I will have to make a trip over soon anyway. I will be checking this out for sure. Thanks!

Ok here's the pics, there's larger version on flickr if you need them

Batpod by Brent Waller, on Flickr

and before you ask that grey piece underneath everything is the torso from this guy

exf015.gif

Sexy BatPod is sexy.

You know the next challenge, right? Somehow make that be a removable part of your Tumbler. :)

Good stuff Avixph and wetwired!

I really enjoy building 70707 CLS-89 Eradicator Mech atm. This thing is a beast! Way cooler than 9448 Samurai Mech which still is awesome.

Get Kai's Fire Mech if you have not. Sweet lil $10 mech.

And glad you are enjoying the Galaxy Squad mech. If you think that set was fun to put together, almost every set bigger than that in the line is fantastic.

Top Bottom