• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Well, it turned out all but one of the Bricklink orders arrived. I looked at the list... and most of it can be skipped or replaced later. I just had to tear a ship section out of the Corsair, an easy choice.

And now after about 2,5 hours I have the lower hull section of the Imperial Flagship completed. I will need to go back and replace some stuff once I get the final order, but building this was a really good way to calm down.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Well, it turned out all but one of the Bricklink orders arrived. I looked at the list... and most of it can be skipped or replaced later. I just had to tear a ship section out of the Corsair, an easy choice.

And now after about 2,5 hours I have the lower hull section of the Imperial Flagship completed. I will need to go back and replace some stuff once I get the final order, but building this was a really good way to calm down.

Glad the hear you got something to take your mind off things. LEGO are the perfect release for things. Nice time consuming relaxer. Hope everything gets better for you.

Glad to hear guys, I'm gonna put that set together soon. I find my standards for sets is so much higher that it's rare when I really love a build. Dolphin Cruiser was the last one.

ghostmind

BrickCon 2013 by antiquegamer, on Flickr

Forgot about this one, are those balloons make from Star Wars Planets? If they are then it is the first time I see them being use for other purpose (beside being useless balls).

Here is link to the rest of the set

http://www.flickr.com/photos/microforever/sets/72157636272415716/

I think someone used one as the center area for a large ship. Can't remember who posted it but it was the Death Star and it was well done.

Edit: Awesome use as balloons though.

I can't remember but did Amazon change polcies on shipping from one Amazon country to another? For example I am thinking of getting a modular or two from Amazon Italy shipped to the UK; do they still do that?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Great set! I noticed that these pics were taken from your Lumia smartphone. Didn't realize that phone had such a high quality camera.

Yes, all my pictures came from my Lumia 1020. Pictures I upload are at full resolution the phone allow (35megapixel), so you can zoom in pretty good if you go to flickr and view it at high res.

The Lumia 1020 is incredible, best smartphone camera on the market. It sure beats having to carry two devices when in crowded place.

Chihuly Garden and Glass Exhibit by antiquegamer, on Flickr

It also has amazing low light and optical image stabilizer.

Fowler

Put me down as another who loved An Unexpected Gathering. So much fun to build and it looks GREAT.

One note though: I found it wasn't very stable. I bought a big green base plate to attach it to, and that helped!

Calm Killer

I am not buying unexpected gathering. You all can just stop it now. I have other catagories to finish. Can't be dealing with pesky hobbits.

Unexpected Gathering is extremely awesome and... oh shit, I never finished the roof. It's sitting in my hallway closet right now.

Welp, I know what I'm doing tonight.

Ponn

Banned
I am not buying unexpected gathering. You all can just stop it now. I have other catagories to finish. Can't be dealing with pesky hobbits.

Those trixie hobbitses. Seriously though, if you are going to get 1 hobbit set its Unexcpected Gathering. I was hohum on it at first but its such a fun and not so serious build. I hate to use cliche words like whimsical or delightful but I really had a smile on my face the whole build and seeing it come together. It displays wonderfully as well and the only real gripe I can say is having to decide to display it front facing or from the back since both sides look so great on display.

Those trixie hobbitses. Seriously though, if you are going to get 1 hobbit set its Unexcpected Gathering. I was hohum on it at first but its such a fun and not so serious build. I hate to use cliche words like whimsical or delightful but I really had a smile on my face the whole build and seeing it come together. It displays wonderfully as well and the only real gripe I can say is having to decide to display it front facing or from the back since both sides look so great on display.
Best way to describe it. It really is that good. Get it while you can.

neonglow

I placed a small $20 S@H order last week and got the LEGO Shop polybag today. Hopefully they have a ton of these and will keep giving them away for awhile.

ghostmind

Pricing and set numbers for ten of the LEGO Movie sets - there should be 7 or 8 more to come.

70800 Movie set 1 $15
70801 Movie set 2 $15
70802 Movie set 3 $25
70803 Movie set 4 $20
70804 Movie set 5 $30
70805 Movie set 6 $30
70806 Movie set 7 $30
70807 Movie set 8 $35
70808 Super Cycle Chase $50
70809 Movie set 10 $70

And the second trailer, which I'm not sure if it ever got posted here.

http://youtu.be/iI8SnQXRA98

I am not a big fan of the LOTR movies at all (still haven't seen the Hobbit) but Unexpected Gathering is great.

You make a great point that the build is pretty basic, but the overall appearance of the set is very, very complete. If I ever get around to setting up a proper town I'm definitely going to include the set as its own house, or perhaps hidden in a park. It really is quite nice looking.

Pricing and set numbers for ten of the LEGO Movie sets - there should be 7 or 8 more to come.

70800 Movie set 1 $15
70801 Movie set 2 $15
70802 Movie set 3 $25
70803 Movie set 4 $20
70804 Movie set 5 $30
70805 Movie set 6 $30
70806 Movie set 7 $30
70807 Movie set 8 $35
70809 Movie series 10 $70

C'mon Blacktron. Daddy needs a new Blacktron set!

ghostmind

60041 Crook Pursuit $6
60042 High Speed Police Chase $15
60043 Prisoner Transport $20
60044 Mobile Police Unit $30
60045 Police Patrol $40
60046 Helicopter Surveillance $60
60047 Police Station $100
60048 Thief Hideout $30 (final name may be different)

Jimbro72

60041 Crook Pursuit $6
60045 Police Patrol $40

Hmmm, is it just me or do these all sound an awful lot like the last batch of police sets that you can still buy at retail? I can't help but think these set shouldn't be a part of the city lineup...in another couple years.

70800 Movie set 1 $15
70801 Movie set 2 $15
70802 Movie set 3 $25
70803 Movie set 4 $20
70804 Movie set 5 $30
70805 Movie set 6 $30
70806 Movie set 7 $30
70807 Movie set 8 $35
70809 Movie set 10 $70

Thanks Ghostmind. Lots of entry-level sets there. I have to imagine one of those $15 sets will be the motorcycle they keep featuring so heavily in the trailers.

Is there any documented rhyme or reason to the set numbering system?

Hmmm, is it just me or do these all sound an awful lot like the last batch of police sets that you can still buy at retail? I can't help but think these set shouldn't be a part of the city lineup...in another couple years.

Granted, I've only been following LEGO news for about 18 months but I totally agree. Seems like the City theme is nothing but policemen who are occasionally assisted by firemen.

ghostmind

Thanks Ghostmind. Lots of entry-level sets there. I have to imagine one of those $15 sets will be the motorcycle they keep featuring so heavily in the trailers.

Is there any documented rhyme or reason to the set numbering system?

When LEGO switched to 5-digit numbering for 2012, they created their own numbering system - basically:

10000 is Creator Expert, UCS and Exclusive
10500 is DUPLO
10600 is Bricks and More
20200 is MBA
21000 is Architecture
21100 is CUUSOO
30100 are retail polys
30200 are retail polys
31000 is Creator
40000 are LEGO exclusive polys and store build event sets
41000 is Friends
42000 is Technic
44000 is Hero Factory
45000 is Education
50000 is Games
60000 is CITY
66000 are multipacks
70100 is Chima
70400 is Castle
70500 is Ninjago 2013 (but Ninjago 2014 has moved to 70700)
70700 is action themes
70800 is LEGO Movie
71000 is CMF
75000 is Star Wars
76000 is Super Heroes
79000 is Middle Earth
79100 is Misc Licensed (TMNT, Lone Ranger, etc)
88000 is Power Functions

Then things go into 6 digits and I can't keep track of that.

The motorcycle is in the Super Cycle Chase set, which is the only one they have shown so far.

ODzQCJk.jpg

When LEGO switched to 5-digit numbering for 2012, they created their own numbering system - basically:

10000 is Creator Expert
10500 is DUPLO
10600 is Bricks and More
20200 is MBA
21000 is Architecture
21100 is CUUSOO
30100 are retail polys
30200 are retail polys
31000 is Creator
40000 are LEGO exclusive polys and store build event sets
41000 is Friends
42000 is Technic
44000 is Hero Factory
45000 is Education
50000 is Games
60000 is CITY
66000 are multipacks
70100 is Chima
70400 is Castle
70500 is Ninjago 2013 (but Ninjago 2014 has moved to 70700)
70700 is action themes
70800 is LEGO Movie
71000 is CMF
75000 is Star Wars
76000 is Super Heroes
79000 is Middle Earth
79100 is Misc Licensed (TMNT, Lone Ranger, etc)
88000 is Power Functions

Then things go into 6 digits and I can't keep track of that.

The motorcycle is in the Super Cycle Chase set, which is the only one they have shown so far.

I would say 10000 is exclusive sets, not just Creative Expert. Just look at UCS sets this year.

ghostmind

Interesting...so they're basically saying that there won't be more than 99 Duplo sets. Again, interesting.

They did the renumbering because in the past 30+ years they had kind of screwed themselves with their random numbering. I have to think they have a master plan, but some of the numbering divisions leave me wondering... 70700 for example.

So, only four Hobbit sets and three are Mirkwood themed. That means no new dwarf designs. Are they keeping the old sets in production?

Big chance for Thranduil, battle Galadriel and Radagast though...

neonglow

I've joined the dark side and started collecting KRE-O Cityville figures.

They're like chibi style figures with minifigure heads on microfigure bodies. I like them better than regular Kreon figures but of course not as good as LEGO minifigures. My favorite is the space alien.

The main reason I started collecting them was because they have a variety of weapons that work with LEGO minifigures. They make shotguns, uzis, handguns and rifles. It's a cheap and accessible way to get the weapons you want.

wetwired

My god, that Rivendale scene, amazing.

Ok guys I need your help deciding what I do next year for the Lego expo.

My initial thoughts are to do something completely different however I'm going back and forth.

This years display got a lot of good reaction from the patrons at the show, a few people proclaimed it their favourite display and it made the "highlights" for one websites review of the show, people seemed to dig the movie theme.

On top of that the fantasy display next to mine had a list of fairytale characters printed out for patrons to find in the display. People really seemed to like the interactivity, I blatantly copied the idea straight away and printed up a list of the characters in my scene.

As well as the interactivity a lot of the popular displays had moving elements of some kind, trains, rides and other various motorised things. Something I'd like to expand in to next year (though I'm leaning away from trains specifically as there was a LOT of trains on show).

I also noted that displays that are basically an assortment of smaller vignettes or sculptures aren't dwelled on by the patrons for very long compared to big scenes, people glance and move on pretty quickly (including myself).

So I have one of 2 options.

1. Start from scratch with a completely new idea for a display. Probably vignettes based on my "job bots"
  2. I expand upon my current theme of movies/tv characters, add some moving elements (somehow), replace the bought sets in my display (town hall, pet shop, cinema, haunted house) with buildings of my own design and/or based on movie buildings/locations. As well as adding more famous characters/vehicles like a brick built stay puft marshmellow man. Probably add lights to all the building interiors as well.

I'll preface this all by saying there's several things I will likely never dismantle, the delorean, the ghostbusters firehouse, ecto-1 and the batmobiles

Now there's pros and cons to both...

New display.
Pros
  • I get to build something different.
  • Patrons get to see something different next year.
  • Smaller, self contained builds are easier to manage and do of the course of a year, I can do as many as I have time for without it seeming like something is missing.

Cons
  • I've probably spent easily over $1000 on parts to do this display, about $100 on road baseplates alone.
  • Vignettes seemed to get less attention from the crowd than fulls scenes.
  • No way to really motorize anything with the job bots.

Expanded "movies" theme
Pros
  • I've already spent a lot of money on this display that wouldn't be going to waste.
  • Room to motorise something in the scene.
  • Full scene, more time spent by the crowd viewing.
  • This years display was received well.
  • Only a few buildings (GB firehouse and the alleyway, which would be made to be more solid/modular) would be kept.

Cons
  • Same as last year, nothing new really.
  • I would limit it to "city" based movie scenes, so no fantasy/sci fi buildings, just a street scene.
  • I'm not really making anything drastically new.

What say you?

wetwired

I've joined the dark side and started collecting KRE-O Cityville figures.

They're like chibi style figures with minifigure heads on microfigure bodies. I like them better than regular Kreon figures but of course not as good as LEGO minifigures. My favorite is the space alien.

The main reason I started collecting them was because they have a variety of weapons that work with LEGO minifigures. They make shotguns, uzis, handguns and rifles. It's a cheap and accessible way to get the weapons you want.

How cheap? this place has the best/biggest variety of custom weapons as far as I'm concerned.

Calm Killer

70800 Movie set 1 $15
70801 Movie set 2 $15
70802 Movie set 3 $25
70803 Movie set 4 $20
70804 Movie set 5 $30
70805 Movie set 6 $30
70806 Movie set 7 $30
70807 Movie set 8 $35
70809 Movie set 10 $70

Heh. Movie set 1 isn't really a name for a set. That sound like a name I would have used as a place holder. I assume the set number is the news here. We know they are going to be 708xx sets.

Calm Killer

60041 Crook Pursuit $6
60045 Police Patrol $40

Oh hey.... More police sets. LEGO must make a killing off these sets. There is no other reason to beat it into the ground like they have for years now. I wish city could be based on other items.

A car dealer ship would be nice. More gas station stuff. How about a parking lot. Not a garage but a parking lot.

R-User!

Display it on a $5 Ikea Lazy Suzan (spinning round wooden platform). Then, on a whim you can switch display views... Though they do take up a bit of excess space...

as much as I am for custom items I find myself on the purist side of things where I don't like using anything non official lego...

also, been considering deconstructing a number of my sets just to see how many pieces I have and to see if I can make something. I have a larger collection of 90s sets than I do current generation legos, but they are currently back at my parents place.

Top Bottom