• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lesbian Couple Arrested for Kissing in Public

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApharmdX

Banned
http://news.yahoo.com/police-officer-arrests-lesbian-couple-for-kissing-092048491.html

A police officer in Hawaii is being investigated by officials after he allegedly arrested a lesbian couple who were kissing in public.

Taylor Guerrero and Courtney Wilson were holidaying on the islands from Los Angeles in March this year when they stopped off at a Woodland grocery store.

Officer Bobby Harrison is then said to have taken offence at the pair’s public displays of affection when they began kissing.

I guess the municipality where this took place should probably prepare a hefty settlement for these women.

More details of lawsuit:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/30378453/officer-accused-of-arresting-lesbians-kissing-in-store

"We were holding hands and I was kissing her cheek," Guerrero told reporters Wednesday.

That's when they heard Harrison allegedly yell at them from across the store.

"He was like you girls, you girls can't do that in here," Guerrero said.

It was the second day of their Hawaii vacation. The women said they didn't pay any attention to Harrison, and instead headed to the checkout.

They said Harrison, who was off-duty but in uniform, followed them to the checkout along with a store employee, threatening to have them cited for trespassing because of their behavior.

Wilson said she was confused about what they'd actually done, so she called the police.

She said she was on the phone with dispatch when Harrison grabbed her arm. Guerrero then tried to step in.

"I got punched in the face by him," Wilson said. "I split my nose open. We were on the ground."

The women said Foodland employees were then instructed to hold them down until someone found zip ties.

"They took us down to the basement of Foodland where they continued to harass us about our conduct in the store, asking us if it was worth it, if we were happy where we are," Wilson said.

"We were just shocked that it all happened."

The two were arrested for assaulting a police officer and had to use the money they came to the islands with to post bail.

Cagey

Banned
They weren't arrested for kissing.

Guerrero then claimed she was shoved by Harrison when she tried to defend her girlfriend and kicked him as she fell.

Wilson added: “The whole situation got physical. I got punched in the face by him.”

Other shoppers could only watch as shop staff restrained the couple as Harrison arrested them for assault on an officer.

The pair were jailed for three days before they were released and ordered to stay in Honolulu, where they had to stay with friends and family.

Their charges were eventually dropped.

Still absurd, but read the article.

Instro

Would only make sense if they were doing a lot more than just hugging and kissing...otherwise this dude is a nut.

I mean ultimately yeah they were arested for kissing. When a police officer is acting like that the charge is really irrelevant.

I guess more accurate is:

"Couple Physically Confronted by Police Over Kissing in Public and Arrested for Defending Themselves"

You can bet your ass if a cop pushed my boyfriend because we were being affectionate I'd push the cop back.

BamfMeat

She was arrested for protecting herself and her girlfriend from an overzealous cop who had this to say to them in line:

”He said, 'you girls don’t know how to act. You don’t know the difference between a motel and a grocery store.’”

Sorry, they got arrested for kissing. They can cover it up with "assault of a police officer" but let's be real here. That's not why they were arrested.

CDX

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/30378453/officer-accused-of-arresting-lesbians-kissing-in-store

"We were holding hands and I was kissing her cheek," Guerrero told reporters Wednesday.

That's when they heard Harrison allegedly yell at them from across the store.

"He was like you girls, you girls can't do that in here," Guerrero said.

It was the second day of their Hawaii vacation. The women said they didn't pay any attention to Harrison, and instead headed to the checkout.

They said Harrison, who was off-duty but in uniform, followed them to the checkout along with a store employee, threatening to have them cited for trespassing because of their behavior.

Wilson said she was confused about what they'd actually done, so she called the police.

She said she was on the phone with dispatch when Harrison grabbed her arm. Guerrero then tried to step in.

"I got punched in the face by him," Wilson said. "I split my nose open. We were on the ground."

The women said Foodland employees were then instructed to hold them down until someone found zip ties.

"They took us down to the basement of Foodland where they continued to harass us about our conduct in the store, asking us if it was worth it, if we were happy where we are," Wilson said.

"We were just shocked that it all happened."

The two were arrested for assaulting a police officer and had to use the money they came to the islands with to post bail.

As a condition of their release, they couldn't leave Oahu and wound up sleeping in a park.

After five months, prosecutors threw out the case, said their attorney, Eric Seitz.

Yeah.

This seems horrible.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So...there's not a lot of detail in the article. If it happened exactly as it was written, then the officer just up and decided he could kick them out of the store? Or confronted them? It's private property, it's up to the store to decide what kind of contact is or is not appropriate. Saying anything at all to them without a complaint from the actual property owner is stupid. But there's no detail on how the altercation got physical...

All in all it's a poorly written article, I'm guessing there's much less to see here than gay bashing.

EDIT

So from the other article it looks like an employee complained to the officer about it?

So...there's not a lot of detail in the article. If it happened exactly as it was written, then the officer just up and decided he could kick them out of the store? Or confronted them? It's private property, it's up to the store to decide what kind of contact is or is not appropriate. Saying anything at all to them without a complaint from the actual property owner is stupid. But there's no detail on how the altercation got physical...

All in all it's a poorly written article, I'm guessing there's much less to see here than gay bashing.

So we can't assume anything, but it's not because they were gay.

Got it.

Cagey

Banned
Umm it changes nothing here.

The thread title is, quite literally, incorrect. That doesn't make the situation better but there's no claim of that.

It makes the situation worse given the officer is (likely) willing to trump up the situation into assaulting an officer charges because he was so aggravated by them kissing.

But seriously, it's factually incorrect.

She was arrested for protecting herself and her girlfriend from an overzealous cop who had this to say to them in line:

Sorry, they got arrested for kissing. They can cover it up with "assault of a police officer" but let's be real here. That's not why they were arrested.

yeah, "physical assault" from what appears to be at least one, if not two, diminutive ladies that would not ever have occurred in the first place if officer dickbag hadn't acted like a fuckwit.

sorry, I see no excuse for this to have happened.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Embarrassing. The cop should be fired. You can't stop people from kissing wherever, and that's all there is to it. Fucking look the other way if it bothers you.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So we can't assume anything, but it's not because they were gay.

Got it.

They weren't arrested because they were gay, they were arrested for assaulting an officer. The initial contact with them was because of PDA which apparently some asshat employee didn't like and wanted them out of the store.

So it all started because some bigots wanted to get their bigot on, but the actual arrest was due to something else which happened after the buffoonery started.

CDX

EDIT

So from the other article it looks like an employee complained to the officer about it?

I'm not sure about that.

It seems to me he ordered the store employees to help him restrain lesbian couple because he was off duty and didn't have his cuffs with him.

But there's no detail on how the altercation got physical...

sure there is,

Things soon turned physical when the pair queued up to pay for their goods, according to Guerrero.

She claimed: “He was bumping his belly against Courtney.

”He said, 'you girls don’t know how to act. You don’t know the difference between a motel and a grocery store.’”

Guerrero then claimed she was shoved by Harrison when she tried to defend her girlfriend and kicked him as she fell.

Wilson added: “The whole situation got physical. I got punched in the face by him.”

he was being a bully to them after following them into the checkout line. this was the second encounter.

mollipen

Seriously, who doesn't like girls kissing? Even a majority of straight men love seeing that. You have to be like CRAZY homophobic in order to be bothered by HLA.

JDSN

Banned
Somehow "Lesbian couple arrested for assaulting an officer who was off duty but still harrased then verbally, then accused them of trespassing and then engaged one of them physically" doesnt sound very concise as a news title. Im not a journalist tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom