• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's examine Wii U and 3DS' 2015 3rd-party line-up *cricket chirping*

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's worth pointing out that a lot of games don't get announced until relatively close to release these days, for whatever reason. Nintendo must keep these publishers on a leash or something because they all seem to announce their games at around the same time, irrespective of what else is happening.

That being said, third-party support has definitely dropped off--it's no surprise that Wii U is struggling, but the lack of third-party 3DS software still perplexes me. Yeah, I get that it's practically impossible to port games to it, and that even just making original games is a lot of effort relative to other platforms, but it's proven to be a genuinely rich market for the few (good) indies that bother to make an effort.

BratmanDu

Im totally ok with this

The only third party retail game i do not regret buying is ZombiU.
Aside from that, i cant see a single 3rd party game that i want. On any system.

3rd parties arent the same as they were in ps2 days.

Yep - I bought wiiU for 1st party games, initially Wind Waker HD and 3D World convinced me to buy a wiiU, although a 3rd party game (ZombiU) was my first purchase.

I got a wiiU for two main reasons:

- 1st Party Nintendo games (because compared with other consoles' 1st party releases, Nintendo for me has higher standards of quality, less season passes and milking of DLC, more fun, more polish.)

- Indies/eshop games, of which there are many, yet most 'where are the games for wiiU??' threads gloss over or ignore the awesome indie/eshop selection (current and upcoming).

I also play a few original wii games. I can pick up some great classics cheap, and never had a wii. Of course, as a I grew up playing SNES, the VC, though limited currently, has some nice nostalgia ticklers I pick up from time to time.

The 1st party titles and indies/eshop games are enough for me, and maybe that's just my lifestyle, I realize that a student or teenager would have a lot more time, but 1 full retail game every 2-3 months is enough for me what with work/family/girlfriend/life, and the indies/eshop/wii/vc games fill in any gaps nicely.

But looking at third party releases on the other consoles, I don't feel I'm missing much. I never like sports games, played enough halo to do me a lifetime and most of the fps's look average at best, got bored with COD after MW2, the driving games all look nice but similar, the third person sandboxy games don't have the same wow factor they used to.

TLDR: Not having 3rd parties on wiiU doesn't make me sad because I see the gaf threads about disappointment with Destiny, BF4, AC:U, Driveclub, Alien, Thief, Tomb Raider, Titanfall, and I see the sudden obsession with pixel counting and I think - I ain't missing much, would rather well produced 1st parties and indies, than half assed 1st parties and 'press A to awesome' third parties.

Plus, panic mode Nintendo seems to be best Nintendo, free game with MK8, decent sales on eshop, Bayo/Bayo2. For me, WiiU has been the definition of quality over quantity. I realize it ain't enough for some folks, but it suits me at this stage of my life (I'm 31).

Wow. Impressive. Not even people who actually get paid to PR for a living could do this,

There are some pretty inept people working in PR.

Also, pretty much itsfuckingnothing.gif from the big development houses for Wii U. For myself, I'm mostly OK with this. I hope Child of Light did well enough for Ubisoft to consider putting out more games of the sort. Otherwise, the only publisher I would miss is Rockstar. But I have my PS4 and PC to compensate, and I couldn't imagine owning less than two consoles. I'm never going to get my hardware and software fix on a single platform.

For Nintendo, it's ultimately about making money and not necessarily about grovelling before EA and Activision. The Wii showed that you can make record-breaking profits without much of their help, and the PS3 showed that you can post record-breaking losses and piss away half your marketshare with them on board. Of course it's not as clear cut as that, though.

Kysen

This is why as soon as I'm done with bayo later this month the console is gonna get sold. 3ds has plenty coming if you have a JP one. So I'm good on that front.

Vinci

Danish
I'm confused how this is a topic of discussion. Hasn't it been known, for months, that 3rd parties are largely irrelevant or nonexistent on these systems?

casiopao

This is why as soon as I'm done with bayo later this month the console is gonna get sold. 3ds has plenty coming if you have a JP one. So I'm good on that front.

What is with this hyperbole? Devil Third? Xenoblade Chronicle X? Smash Bros? And other yet not announced Ninty project or collab with 3rd Party?

Really surprised at the 3ds drop off, May not have to get the new 3ds after all on the plus side

They only count 3DS normal release though. We still don't know what Ninty had in store for New 3DS exclusive title here.

Not sure how this is surprising to anyone.

Even with the Wii being as popular as it was the system barely had any third party support. This is how it has always been with Nintendo. Their relationship with 3rd parties is probably at an all time low, even though they have a knack for getting the games I really want on my main console like Monster Hunter and Dragons Quest and P&D lol.

eShops for both systems still seem to have decent recent releases and many coming up, and those are the games I care about, so I'm pretty happy.

I know it's most likely been said before but I'd like Nintendo to focus on a high end hybrid portable system like a PS Vita only more powerful and better designed for the hands. For example they could make that Gamepad the entire system and equip it with a 1080p high end glass multitouch screen.

Then they could pour on the exclusives without a divided focus, the system will sell tons, and third parties will make more games for it. But if they didn't it would not matter with all of Nintendo's teams working in one system.

1st party doesnt look good for 2015 NA either

anyway, if you buy a Nintendo home console for 3rd party games you are doing it wrong,

Yet 1st party has rarely been stronger when it comes to home consoles? Seriously, if a new 1st party game coming at least every other month(from the looks of what they have for next year) isn't enough, it's likely never been enough and first party was likely not why someone got the console in the first place if they were expecting a lot of releases in the same year. Doesn't matter if you don't like certain games or not and don't count them on the list, they're still there and they cover a genre other than the common Nintendo faire.

1. Splatoon
2. Xenoblade X
3. Yoshi's Woolly World
4. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
5. Mario Party 10
6. Zelda/Starfox(pick one for the end of next year to fill the yearly holiday release and the other for 2016)
7. Mario Maker(if you consider this a full game and make full use of creating maps)

JC Lately

iHdcMHgsotTlj.png

SerTapTap

They only count 3DS normal release though. We still don't know what Ninty had in store for New 3DS exclusive title here.

I kinda doubt they have much if any New 3DS exclusive 3rd parties or ever will. It's already releasing very soon in Japan and it has one game and a couple of "enhanced" games. Not sure indies will want to lose the 3DS marketshare either. Really by now they should have announced more than a single first party game for it to begin with.

therapist

And my Wii U will continue to collect dust.

Smash is coming , at least.

Otherwise i cant think of a single game i want or even know of thats releasing.
If they brought fatal frame here that would be a buy for me definitely.

Worst console i've ever owned , theres just nothing to freaking play on it.
Unless you consider the 32x a console and not an add-on , that is.

Its a shame, really , but nintendo is to blame , as usual.

Ive owned many third parties games on Nintendo consoles over the years. Third party games may not be the reason I get a Nintendo console, but still..

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nobody buys Nintendo consoles for their third party games.

I bought all three for Nintendo games, but I would have bought them for these games (among others) even if there was no Nintendo game whatsoever:

- GCN: Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Sonic Heroes
- Wii: Monkey Ball BB, Sonic Secret Rings, Sonic Unleashed (PS360 would not have been sufficient), Sonic Colours, Sonic & the Black Knight (though this would have been a horrible reason), NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
- Wii U: Sonic Lost World, Rayman Legends, Sonic Boom

I'm still surprised that EAs various franchise licence-holders are allowing them to entirely skip platforms.
I always thought part of the franchise condition to be the official FIFA / NHL / NFL / Whatever manufacturer was putting a port of that game on every platform available.

This is coming out several days before Smash does next month. To be fair though, if you were waiting to play this on WiiU and completely ignore anything and everything said about the game thus far, you probably would have settled for literally any other third party game.

Interesting. Didn't even realize there was a date - I heard absolutely nothing about the Wii U ver post-launch.

I hope this is enough of a wake up call for Nintendo to involve 3rd parties from the start next time.

I think PS4 will be my 3rd party games machine for a good while.

Raw64life

This shouldn't be news to anyone who owns or is looking to buy a Wii U by this point.

By the end of the year I will own 12 3DS games and 7 Wii U games and all of them will be first party. I have PS4/PC for everything else.

These threads are deja vu

I didn't buy a Wii u to play 3rd party games, that's why I bought both Xbox one and PS4

I bought it only for first party games, would list what I bought and played only on Wii u but I won't bore you

Isn't this also the result of announcements being at most 3 months before game comes and most games for these systems don't get delayed. Heck, most of the Japan winter lineup was confirmed around TGS. And since there are very few Western developer supports for 3DS, we're waiting on localization and those can be announced at any time during the process since it is relatively straight forward. Most of those are within 3 months as well.

I think we can expect Devil Survivor 2 Break Record in America at least next year

sd28821

Isn't this also the result of announcements being at most 3 months before game comes and most games for these systems don't get delayed. Heck, most of the Japan winter lineup was confirmed around TGS. And since there are very few Western developer supports for 3DS, we're waiting on localization and those can be announced at any time during the process since it is relatively straight forward. Most of those are within 3 months as well.

I think we can expect Devil Survivor 2 Break Record in America at least next year

this is a good point though i wouldn't get my hopes up on break record.

krizzx

not retail which is the biggest market for games sales on consoles maybe?

But they are third party and they have some decent sales. Like Shovel Night which launched to like 45k on the Wii U.

Has there even been a sales chart for eshop games?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Eh... Nintendo's publishing the stuff that would've otherwise been 3rd party on WiiU... like Fatal Frame, so there's like two games right there.

Which I guess is kinda your point. :-/

cHinzo

Looks like there isn't much to discuss. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Does Sonic Boom release this year? And what about Project Cars? Don't think it will make it this year on the Wii U.

StevieP

Banned
I'm still surprised that EAs various franchise licence-holders are allowing them to entirely skip platforms.
I always thought part of the franchise condition to be the official FIFA / NHL / NFL / Whatever manufacturer was putting a port of that game on every platform available.

Dat Wii release? lol

Top Bottom