• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's nostalgia! Tech from 80's, 90's, early 2000's

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

i had a minidisc player for some reason

Haha, so did I. Around 2002 or 2003 when they were dirt cheap, but the discs were hard to find. I actually had about three and bought my mom one. YOU COULD PUT LIKE FOUR CDS WORTH OF MUSIC ON ONE DISC!

What...iPods were expensive and my Apple friends, who know about these things, said that any other MP3 player was pure shit.

YakBak_closeup.jpg

These were quickly replaced in my area by the dirty talking ones. We walked around high school with them hidden in our pants. I can still hear the voice in my head: "FUCK YOU". "FUCKIN' JERK". "YER AN ASSHOLE". "EAT SHIT".

Edit: and googling "fuck you fuckin jerk you're an asshole eat shit" led me to a video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV96FBXQs7M

printerdotmatrix.jpg

Dot matrix printers. I really loved the sound those things made, especially the fast ones.

I also enjoyed tearing off and playing with the strips of paper with the holes on the sides of each sheet. My mom would do a big project, and I'd have strips 20 feet long to play with.

Fun fact: A band (Fridge, I believe) released a song as a text file that was to be "played" (via printing) on a dot matrix printer.

I don't think I ever listened to it.

bengraven

Fun fact: A band (Fridge, I believe) released a song as a text file that was to be "played" (via printing) on a dot matrix printer.

I don't think I ever listened to it.

Oh man, that would be so cool to do today...print out pictures of songs that play music on your printer. Damn my inkjet for being so quiet and monotone though.

Hackbert

I enjoyed this a lot XD

very cool. Can´t remember if such toys where avaiable in germany.
i loved to crash my lego train together with my little sister. made her giggle XD
eisenbahn-lego-electric-foto-bild-59062241.jpg

edit : just saw richiek´s post.. my first handy/mobile
alcatel_ote_db2.jpg

alcatel one touch easy.. yeah. still like my tech rugged ( Motorola Defy User)

Nista

*D&D electronic game pic*

So, so many hours on this bad boy.

I had one of those as a kid. I really wish it ends up being somewhere in my parent's basement when I finally go to clean it out.

Add me to the "I use a tape adapter to listen to iPhone in car" club.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
fx7500g.jpg

It was an Artillery game I wrote on one of them, as a bet with one of me mates that I could get it to do more than just draw graphs, which eventually led to Worms.

I also wrote a randomly generated 3D maze game. Looking back it was madness, but that is just how much I HATED A-Levels.

bengraven

In the late 80s or early 90s my stepdad bought one of these.

b3LVs.jpg

If you didn't know, they're a mini-truck with a bench seat in the front and two bucket seats welded in the back:

(example pic, ours was the red one with a camper topper)
CgOUR.jpg

It had seatbelts and was apparently perfectly regal. Our family drove all the way from SW MN, through SD to the Black Hills, then to and through Yellowstone, and then down into Colorado and back up to SW MN in one of these fucking things. My little sister and I in the back: me reading a Jeff Rovin TMNT fact book and her singing NKOTB badly.

Sylver

Banned
very cool. Can´t remember if such toys where avaiable in germany.
i loved to crash my lego train together with my little sister. made her giggle XD
[IM]http://bild1.qimage.de/eisenbahn-lego-electric-foto-bild-59062241.jpg[/IMG]

edit : just saw richiek´s post.. my first handy/mobile
[IM]http://www.handy-sammler.de/Images/alcatel_ote_db2.jpg[/IMG]
alcatel one touch easy.. yeah. still like my tech rugged ( Motorola Defy User)

Sure it was since Spain, France and UK got it.

I remember I had got this clock, too someshitboy stole me.
q0d9F.jpg

Funny thing is this Casio watches (mostly like this one http://i.imgur.com/3XGdA.jpg ) are trendy these months here in Spain.
And some of you sure had got a Tamagochi.
nPNWc.jpg

Vlodril

Also this...
100-things-in-80s-video-games-driving-simulator.jpg

I now Feel like an idiot for not holding on to the toys I had as a youth.[/QUOTE]

Blast from the past. My grandfather got one for me, from a trip overseas. Spend a couple of summers playing it. So addicting.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
printerdotmatrix.jpg

Dot matrix printers. I really loved the sound those things made, especially the fast ones.

I also enjoyed tearing off and playing with the strips of paper with the holes on the sides of each sheet. My mom would do a big project, and I'd have strips 20 feet long to play with.
We still have some of these in daily use at work.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I got a floppy drive on the PC I use daily, the one I am using right now. U-jelly?
I use floppy disks at least once a week in work and I work in the semi conductor industry on multi-million dollar machines with cutting edge technologies.
(USB keys are banned and network access is restricted)

Also had a Sony NetMD minidisc when flash based Mp3 players were starting to appear like the Nomad.
It was awesome at the time:

!!d6WKO!B2M~$(KGrHqMH-CsEs-Gy7hmoBLWbrVfCfw~~_32.JPG

Yes, I'm sure they wouldn't want my 4TB hard drive because their 15MB hard drive is more reliable.

Unless you sell them a modern computer along with that hard drive, I doubt that any 1980s era computer could read a 4TB hard drive with a SATA connection.

My buddy still has his Omnibot 2000 and last year I bought him a new battery for it. Fully functional and delivers drinks like a bad ass.
omnibot.jpg

Jobiensis

Unless you sell them a modern computer along with that hard drive, I doubt that any 1980s era computer could read a 4TB hard drive with a SATA connection.

I'm sure he'll keep that in mind when he invents his time machine.

Your original premise is bullshit anyway, the old winchesters failed often. And the trash 80 drives weren't much better.

MTBF of that drive is 11,000 hours, modern drives are far more reliable. Modern drives also don't lose data here and there like the old drives.

7shoS.jpg

Just realized the title says 80's on up, no love for the older folks.

I'm sure he'll keep that in mind when he invents his time machine.

Your original premise is bullshit anyway, the old winchesters failed often. And the trash 80 drives weren't much better.

MTBF of that drive is 11,000 hours, modern drives are far more reliable. Modern drives also don't lose data here and there like the old drives.

http://i.imgur.com/7shoS.jpg[IMG]

Just realized the title says 80's on up, no love for the older folks.[/QUOTE]

This is the hard drive that I am referring which is the most common hard drive during the 1980s: [url]http://www.redhill.net.au/d/2.php[/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom