• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's nostalgia! Tech from 80's, 90's, early 2000's

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
My buddy still has his Omnibot 2000 and last year I bought him a new battery for it. Fully functional and delivers drinks like a bad ass.
omnibot.jpg

I always wanted an Omnibot.

TheMan

large.jpg

14"

I was the cool kid because I had one in my own room.

my daughter has a similar tv in her room (she doesn't use it, we just put it in there cause she had extra space.) when i finally get a wii later this year, i'll lug that bad boy in my bedroom and use it play it on. already have xenoblade waiting patiently on my bookshelf.

Unless you sell them a modern computer along with that hard drive, I doubt that any 1980s era computer could read a 4TB hard drive with a SATA connection.
That's not even the only barrier. Old operating systems designed to use FAT-16 and other obsolete file formats would only be able to use a portion of the hard drive due to how they are written, rendering the extra storage unusable.

Rikkun

My buddy still has his Omnibot 2000 and last year I bought him a new battery for it. Fully functional and delivers drinks like a bad ass.
omnibot.jpg

A little creepy.
Also, after playing Chibi Robo on GC I feel bad for abandoned robots. Still have to see Wall-E.

Anyway my contribution is

napster.jpg

floppy5.jpg

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I use floppy disks at least once a week in work and I work in the semi conductor industry on multi-million dollar machines with cutting edge technologies.
(USB keys are banned and network access is restricted)

Also had a Sony NetMD minidisc when flash based Mp3 players were starting to appear like the Nomad.
It was awesome at the time:

!!d6WKO!B2M~$(KGrHqMH-CsEs-Gy7hmoBLWbrVfCfw~~_32.JPG

MiniDiscs are timeless. It's a shame that Sony didn't develop them more.

sfog

I cant believe that anyone else had this thing!!

I barely remember what it did...

It was just a simple game where pressing the button would push the rings up via the release of air pressure into the water, and you'd try to tilt it or whatever to get them on the sticks. I definitely had and played with a few back when I was around 5 or 6 (just over 20 years ago...). I've seen some similar games (both with and without water) fairly recently in dollar stores occasionally.

Wubby

In the late 80s or early 90s my stepdad bought one of these.

b3LVs.jpg

If you didn't know, they're a mini-truck with a bench seat in the front and two bucket seats welded in the back:

(example pic, ours was the red one with a camper topper)
CgOUR.jpg

Around 7 years ago I really wanted to buy one of these. I found a mid-80's awd one for sale in San Francisco and made the 5 hour drive from LA to go and buy it. But when I got there I found that the thing was pretty badly rusted and barely ran. I had doubts that it would make the trip down to LA and I didn't feel like towing it or repairing the rust for that matter so I left it. The plan was to swap in a newer drivetrain from a turbo WRX.

bengraven

Around 7 years ago I really wanted to buy one of these. I found a mid-80's awd one for sale in San Francisco and made the 5 hour drive from LA to go and buy it. But when I got there I found that the thing was pretty badly rusted and barely ran. I had doubts that it would make the trip down to LA and I didn't feel like towing it or repairing the rust for that matter so I left it. The plan was to swap in a newer drivetrain from a turbo WRX.

I wish it survived until I was of age to drive it, but my stepfather only bought manual trucks and he always wore them out long before their prime from constantly riding the clutch and shitty shifting.

Also, it would be fun to have now, but no fucking camper if you're going to have people in the back - the tiny windows were definitely not sufficient for air flow so my sister and I spent 4000 miles with our hair stuck to our faces in summer sweat. But without the camper? Man, we'd have fun with this fucker...

These are killing me right now, it's crazy to see things you haven't even thought of in probably 20+ years. I even read a lot of the nostalgia threads posted here and haven't seen these posted.

Also... Pagers (or Beepers), you'd swag it with a little chain. It was pretty rad when my dad got me one for when I started middle school and my dad carried one around for years - sometimes multiple pagers.

motorolapager.jpg

I actually had one for a few years in High School as well but it was more like:
pilot2.jpg

with text and stuff.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
my daughter has a similar tv in her room (she doesn't use it, we just put it in there cause she had extra space.) when i finally get a wii later this year, i'll lug that bad boy in my bedroom and use it play it on. already have xenoblade waiting patiently on my bookshelf.
Trust me dude, you can't play Xenoblade on that. I tried on a 19" CRT. The text is almost unreadable, you'll get a headache after navigating your inventory for like five minutes.

it's still unacceptable. whether or not children should have televisions in their room was the subject of my college entry essay.

trs1080

Neo Member
First console:

ColecoTelstar-front.jpg

Coleco Telstar (or something like it). Tennis, hockey, all selected with a mechanical switch. Nice!

First PC from Radio Shack:

tandy_1000sx_1s.jpg

A Tandy 1000 SX with TWO 5.25" disk drives. Fuck yeah!!! You want colors? This bitch can display SIXTEEN at a time!!! PCjr compatible yo!

I couldn't afford one of these :( :

sony-discman-d-141-lut-460.jpg

bengraven

nRsfi.jpg

We had one for YEARS...well until after I finally moved out at 18.

I can still look at it and instantly lots of channels come to mind to match the number.

In my area:

5 - Nick
6 - TBS
7 - TNT
10 - UPN
21 - religious bullshit
22 - HBO
24 - MTV
26 - 31 - lots of boring shit that I would only find interesting in 2012

mrklaw

MrArseFace
9fNje.jpg

Tomy Armatron. A fully functional robot arm that is entirely mechanical. A marvel of engineering, which I proved when I got one for christmas and took it to pieces to see how it worked and couldn't put it back together again.

That, Bigtrak and my Lego technic chassis were my three big christmas memories as a child. And I bought all of them on ebay over the last couple of years..

bengraven

Man, all you guys with the cool tech toys.

I always wanted them growing up, but my parents said I'd never understand how to use a robot for example. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Old stereo high five! I use this one (you can see it in the background) with an AirPort Express & my iPhone.

IMG_5825.jpg

OH I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE.

Double nostalgia. Nice.

Wiktor

My favorite Amiga...Amiga 600:
amiga-600.jpg

Such a little beauty, so easy to carry around in a back pack.

Also...love Thinkpads. They were designed in 90s and to this day remain very similiar in style. I felt in love with them the first time I saw somebody using one
ibm-thinkpad-750c.jpg

Even today I would never consider buying a notebook other than a Thinkpad. Majority of other brands are just to flashy for my taste

I have a VCR and shocked a girl I met when she saw it sitting on top of my Blu-Ray player. A lot of movies aren't available on DVD legally (My VHS collection includes forgotten 80's classics like Action USA, Never Too Young to Die, Arena, and Megaforce) and you can get a lot of movies really cheap on VHS.

The quality isn't the best but there's a sense of nostalgia to it that you don't get with DVD or Blu-Ray.

U2NUMB

flickr-14871448-image.jpg

I remember the battery life being horrible.. but I loved the concept of taking my actual Genesis games on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom