• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Sonys First Party Studios and their upcoming Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pfft.

It's going to be "The Getaway : London Heist"

IP reboot as a on-rails VR heist shooter. Morpheus launch title.
In case it really happens, I hope it won't be a on-rails shooter game. The concept of restricting players' movement by putting them in small combat areas is bad for a VR game which really needs dynamic immersion. It can be a Red Steel 2 instead where players have no limit in both navigation and combat.

What PS2 IPs would legitimately be "long awaited" in the eyes of Sony? Jak & Daxter? Maybe Dark Cloud? There were so many games that came out in that gen and I was too young to know about all of them the way I pay attention to gaming today, so that's all I can think of.

Sid

Woah, hang on a second. That God of War prediction is out of left field. 2016 is way too early for it, and I don't see it being announced before E3 either. SECONDLY, a new protagonist? Really? What makes you think they'll get rid of one of their biggest mascots that easily?
Is 2016 really way too early? Asscension came out in 2013

Woah, hang on a second. That God of War prediction is out of left field. 2016 is way too early for it, and I don't see it being announced before E3 either. SECONDLY, a new protagonist? Really? What makes you think they'll get rid of one of their biggest mascots that easily?
Eh 2016 is not too early imo. Cory Barlog has started working on the project since 2013 and 3 years of development is more than enough for an AAA game. If the game doesn't come out in 2016, it's either the game will be insanely huge or Santa Monica being unproductive.

Elfstruck

Eh 2016 is not too early imo. Cory Barlog has started working on the project since 2013 and 3 years of development is more than enough for an AAA game. If the game doesn't come out in 2016, it's either the game will be insanely huge or Santa Monica being unproductive.

The game will not come until late 2016 or early 2017. Cory said the game is in early development during PSX.

The game will not come until late 2016 or early 2017. Cory said the game is in early development during PSX.

There's also the fact that Sony have established March as the God of War launch month for the entire series (aside from Ghost of Sparta), so March 2017 is probably the most likely release date they could make.

Melchiah

d0047c-1426014719.jpg

I know Guys...Tidux is not a reliable Source...And you shouldnt read to much into this....But I want to believe !!

I take this with a grain of salt, but if I had to choose one IP from that gen to be resurrected, it would most certainly be Soul Reaver. The phrasing implies it isn't necessarily a game/series, that's been exclusive to the PS2. I can't really think of any dormant 1st party IPs from that era, that I'd be eager to play.

Is 2016 really way too early? Asscension came out in 2013

6+ months of development time was wasted on Stig Shooter.

Cory came in with intent to revamp the IP, with a rally cry of recruiting an A-team for the effort.

He also rejoined somewhat late. Not immediately after Ascension shipped. Also preproduction takes time, especially if they are planning to change up the gameplay, presumably.

There's a lot of "lost time", even just taking into account the cancellation of Stig Shooter alone.

Can't wait until a popular IP from the PS2 days gets a sequel/prequel/remake/only-sharing-the-name on the current best selling platform between in ~2 years and the end of this generation.
That will sure show the creditability of that specific tweet.

Must mean Beyond Good & Evil 2 is a PS4 exclusive now.

its the same shit every year...But damn the 2016 Line Up for Sony looks extremely Fine

• Uncharted 4
  • Gran Turismo 7 (Yamauchi said between 2015/16 Release)
  • Guerilla Games: Horizon (Shinobi said 2016 Release)
  • The Last Guardian Release (According to Verendus)
  • Sony Bends Openworld Horrogame (Shinobi602)
  • Street Fighter 5
  • First Ps4 Tales Of
  • Level 5 Exclusive Ps4 Project

200.gif

photogaz

Another year, no killer exclusive.

Sony need to announce something for Xmas 2015 window.

I know game development takes a long time but I can't help feel we need something. Perhaps the teams are having trouble adapting from a PS3 background to a more PC one. I guess that's why Microsoft has less studios but more output.

As for a PS2 era game: Surely that's The Getaway? Though if it's open world it could take up to 5 years!

xehanort

I know game development takes a long time but I can't help feel we need something. Perhaps the teams are having trouble adapting from a PS3 background to a more PC one. I guess that's why Microsoft has less studios but more output.

As for a PS2 era game: Surely that's The Getaway? Though if it's open world it could take up to 5 years!

Bloodbourne??

marcincz

People keep talking 2016.

How about THIS YEAR?

What does Sony have for THIS YEAR!?!?!?
Calm down.
Ratchet & Clank game, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, The Order:1886(was), Persona5 and many indie/digital exclusives. Probably new ip / unannounced game for holiday 2015.

No they haven't.

Oh I always thought they did.

I think the only possibilities for an Xmas window now are Sony Bend or Media Molecule

Media Molecule's new IP is very unlikely to come out this year. When it comes to large-scale new IPs, Sony don't announce and release them within the span of 4 months. Even Nintendo doesn't do that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

MS don't have less studios but more output. They've padded their output with titles from 3rd party developers. Their in house teams haven't produced much either, outside of Forza and halo. At he moment that is looking like smart thinking though. Plus MS stacking the deck during the holidays makes sonys outout look relatively weak. If you look across the year they probably have the same number of titles - the order, MLB and Bloodborne will all be out in the first half for example.

I doubt Sony devs are having trouble adapting to the PS4, I think maybe this is partly a result of Sony supporting Ps3 so strongly late in its lifecycle. If so, then things should start to pick up dramatically soon. I hope.

Klossen

Banned
Just with the Vita, I find SCEA's output very dissapointing for PS4 compared to SCEE and SCEJ. Gamescon 2014 was great for PS4. Isn't SCEA where their biggest workforce is at? What's going on?

Just with the Vita, I find SCEA's output very dissapointing for PS4 compared to SCEE and SCEJ. Gamescon 2014 was great for PS4. Isn't SCEA where their biggest workforce is at? What's going on?

ND and Sony Santa Monica (SCEA WWS's tentpole teams) both had 2013 releases. (TLoU and GoW)

Bend has been in an awkward limbo for a while. They're apparently trying to bounce back with their new PS4 title, but it's clear that their lack of output can be explained with LOL CANCELLED VITA PROJECTS.

Sony San Diego = MLBMLBMLBMLB.

Sucker Punch released a game last year. The earliest we'll hear from them next is in 2016/2017.

Oh I always thought they did.

I think the only possibilities for an Xmas window now are Sony Bend or Media Molecule

Sony's internal studios have released over twice as many games as Microsoft's. Including all first party games (both from internal and external studios) evens things up a bit but they still come out on the losing end. The gap is only going to get larger as well, because Sony's lineup this year dwarves Microsoft's.

I don't know why some people get so bent out of shape over having a blockbuster during the Xmas window. Apparently even if Tearaway, Bloodborne, R&C, Rime, etc. are incredible games, they don't "count." Why? Because they're not huge budget, AAA blockbusters? What does it matter? Even if Sony does absolutely nothing during the holiday season this year, they're still going to win it because there's more countries on the planet than the US. And if they drop the price, they probably won't even lose in the US.

Lakitu

st5fu
Wasn't there some rumour going on for a long while about some third-person shooter with an Eastern setting? Anything more concrete come from it?

Spineker

Banned
Colin Moriarty said it best on the Gamescast: Sony is sitting back, looking at the sales of the PS4 and thinking to themselves "why the fuck should we rush these games? We're kicking MS ass" and that's why not as many games are out there in the ether.

And they needn't worry in the future either. I am going to be very interested to see how many consoles Bloodborne moves because it is going to be a fuck tonne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom