• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Robertson (of Unseen64 fame): "NX is not aiming to compete on a power level"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Here's the question... will it even be as powerful as Wii U?

That's a very silly question. Assuming NX is a home console, it will be a modest leap beyond Wii U but not competitive with the PS4. What Nintendo want is a platform that can offer:

1. All their legacy titles, including Wii U, Wii and GC software
2. A unified architecture so their handheld and console libraries are no longer separate
3. Easy ports for mobile developers
4. Easy for indies
5. A low price

cudifly.png

The Wii U sales are abysmal. Why would they want to emulate anything close to that Disaster?

Because it will launch with Metroid Prime 4, Zelda, F-Zero and a Nintendo-style Minecraft.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Here's the question... will it even be as powerful as Wii U?

The real question is whether they'll go with a variant of the Gamecube CPU four gens in a row.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Of course.

We dont know that, even though its very likely.

It could be honestly a Android/Fire TV Setup situation where the console itself is quite cheap - like less than 150 bucks. And the upcoming portable uses the same SoC and will be sold for less than 200 bucks as well.

NX will likely be a system that gets updates every 2 years with beefier hardware and full BC.

Musolf815

Watch the NX simply be a Wii U handheld, which really, wouldn't be a bad idea

So if this happened, how likely/possible would it be for the home console NX to just be an OS replacement for the Wii U, maybe eliminating Gamepad necessity for a cheaper package?

pants

I didn't want to get dogpiled on in the other thread where people are hoping for HBM, but I semi-expect Nintendo to be targeting a $100-150 price point.

Okay, I admit at this price point it doesnt matter how big of a piece of shit it is, I'd get it to play Mario Bros and even if it had nothing else I wouldnt be bummed out.

18-Volt

Because it's handheld? Seriously, I don't see Nintendo to make another home console for quite time in the future. 3 console ecosystem has been rejected by the market and developers, so Nintendo won't be returning until that number drops by one.

Madness

Pass me my smelling salts before i faint from surprise.

What planet do you come from that you even entertained the possibility they would do anything different?

Eh, why be pessimistic? I mean it's not necessarily hard to match the PS4 in terms of hardware. NX is at least 2016 or later release. It can't match specs announced in early 2013? Specs that were low end aside from memory/RAM then.

Nibel

Well you still hold out hope that Nintendo might actually make a moderately powerful console that can hang with its competitors.

There won't be a powerful Nintendo console with Genyo Takeda on board, and besides: his less-is-more philosophy already convinced Iwata and others years ago. Besides, they don't want to tank the company which is why they'll play it safe.

---

I've written this 1000 times already, but I expect 'NX' to be a new Nintendo ecosystem that aims to bind consumers to that Nintendo ecosystem instead of consumers being bound to separate devices that have their own OS, own libraries and own architectures. Look at how disconnected both 3DS and Wii U players are for example.

They put their handheld and console divisions together. They need to support the Japanese and the NA/EU markets; east and west work differently these days.

This is why a lot of people are thinking they will release at least two form factors, a handheld and a console, both able to run the exact same games whose visuals are scaled down on the handheld. The question is just how much stronger will those be, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get slightly powered up current-gen-Nintendo hardware. Nothing they said implicated they want to join the power race again, instead Iwata keeps talking about the NX having some 'surprise' which will be another gimmick, bet yo ass on it.

Delio

Like with the Wii and Wii U, Nintendo likely does not see Xbox/PlayStation as their "main competitors" in that specific market and (unless they're insane, which they might be) accept they probably won't get these games.

Whether or not this direction works remains to be seen. Whether or not it's a smart mindset, or even true, is another debate entirely. But folk really need to suck it up and accept that the video game market isn't one dimensional. Nintendo most likely have no intention of competing with Microsoft and Sony any more than Apple and Samsung do with their mobile and tablet devices.

I feel like no one really thinks of this. I wonder if this is where the mobile game hate comes from.

But for real though, i am disappointed. I wanted at least PS4-Level Hardware, i mean, Nintendo could at least act like they want the General crowd back

What market(s) and demographic(s) do you see Nintendo as committed to attracting?

Okay, I admit at this price point it doesnt matter how big of a piece of shit it is, I'd get it to play Mario Bros and even if it had nothing else I wouldnt be bummed out.

I agree; it's much more of an impulse purchase at that price point.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Has a successor console ever gone backwards in overall power?

No, but Nintendo is all about innovation :p

Not saying this will be the case, but if they did indeed make a low-power Arm-powered box in order to release next year for a budget price... maybe it would be less powerful than the Wii U?

Maybe the state of cheap Arm-powered units would equal or surpass a PS3/360/Wii U console now. But I think we're in the ballpark of barely matching the Wii U and barely surpassing it in a best case scenario.

Anybody who has listened to what Iwata has said about their future hardware, knew this already.

Their next machine will be about enticing mobile and indie developers while unifying Nintendo's handheld/console libraries. An affordable machine with a bigger selection of Nintendo games and a focus on eShop-scale third party titles.

Exactly. An affordable platform with almost all of Nintendos new releases on it. No more split between two hardware iterations. So what does this mean? It means Nintendo can support its own hardware without software droughts. Thats the main focus behind NX. Creating a platform like iOS where the library is only expanding and not reset to zero every few years.

Hip Hop

Not necessarily so. It could be a great place to dump iOS, Android ports and low-power Unity games...

True, but this stuff never takes off. We've seen that countless of times already, the Ouya being the more "out there" of them all.
Nothing will replace/compliment actual Smartphones for this kind of stuff.

Mononoke

Banned
cudifly.png

The Wii U sales are abysmal. Why would they want to emulate anything close to that Disaster?

Wii U also cost too much. The Wii U pad was an expensive gimmick that was a weight around their neck.

If anything, competing on a power level which would make it high priced $300+, is closer to the Wii U. Why would anyone expect them to take such a big risk and be locked into another expensive console?

Eh, why be pessimistic? I mean it's not necessarily hard to match the PS4 in terms of hardware. NX is at least 2016 or later release. It can't match specs announced in early 2013? Specs that were low end aside from memory/RAM then.
I mean, Wii U barely matched against Xbox 360 seven years later.

antonz

Said from the beginning I am expecting a Wii U+

4 Core Processor so improved in that regard and a moderately Improved GPU maybe in the 400-500 gflops range and maybe 4GB of ram.

It would certainly address alot of issues of the Wii U but still fail to be mindblowing but affordable

hal9001

Banned
Power slightly less than xbox one levels I presume. Nintendo are aiming cheap. Unifying platforms and getting mobile into it.

They are aiming for impulse buy price range $199 or less. Core gamers can purchase at cheap price as secondary console without having to pay too much and casuals/parents will have the lure of mobile/indie scene to provide cheap alternative.

NX should be Wii U power built inside a smaller version of the gamepad (3DS replacement), sold with TV Dock and a Pro Controller to plug it into TV (Wii U replacement).

Hybrid console. Let's do it!

madmackem

Well they won't see third party support yet again, they need to be close to or on par with Xbox and ps4 or the porting won't be worth it to third parties. What a complete waste of time it will be unless they hit lucky again with a gimmick they will be in no better shape than they are now with wii u.

BocoDragon

The real question is whether they'll go with a variant of the Gamecube CPU four gens in a row.

No way they do. That is just killing their third-party support.

True, but this stuff never takes off. We've seen that countless of times already, the Ouya being the more "out there" of them all.
Nothing will replace/compliment actual Smartphones for this kind of stuff.

Ouya didn't fail because it was Android or because it was low-powered... it had no marketing, distribution and mindshare compared with someone like Nintendo.

Most mobile games look like pooh when blown up on a television. The resources required to make amped up versions of games for the console NX would literally be unaffordable for smaller devs making games for the NX so unless it's mandatory to make it compatible with both, the idea itself is meh.

Exactly. An affordable platform with almost all of Nintendos new releases on it. No more split between two hardware iterations. So what does this mean? It means Nintendo can support its own hardware without software droughts. Thats the main focus behind NX. Creating a platform like iOS where the library is only expanding and not reset to zero every few years.

That actually sounds interesting and very plausible, especially considering Nintendo embracing long-time support for evergreen Wii U games through constant updates and new DLC.

Kikorin

Pretty obviously, always thinked NX will be a portable console, I think a console a bit less powerful than a Wii U with some better tech, like 3ds towards Wii.

Hatchtag

Banned
I'm really curious what the fuck they're going to do to attract Wii U owners to the NX. I know they're going to do some different stuff with the NX, because what they're currently doing is completely failing to attract anyone but Nintendo's hardcore. But what about their hardcore? Are exclusives really going to be enough to get them to upgrade again after how disappointing the Wii U was?

madmackem

Power slightly less than xbox one levels I presume. Nintendo are aiming cheap. Unifying platforms and getting mobile into it.

They are aiming for impulse buy price range $199 or less. Core gamers can purchase at cheap price as secondary console without having to pay too much and casuals/parents will have the lure of mobile/indie scene to provide cheap alternative.
That's been the wii u in the uk at least for some time, it did nothing as a cheap secondary console. Unless ninth are again happy with lifetime sales of the cube then they need something else.

NotLiquid

This shouldn't really come as much of a surprise to anyone but the question is whether Nintendo can get their heads out of their asses and offer something compelling and clear for the mass market consumer. They entered the Wii U with an incredible level of hubris and while I've loved my time with the console the entire leadup to release was a muddled mess.

jesu

How reliable is he anyway?

He said Fallout 4 was going to be cross gen before Bethesda said it was current gen only.

BocoDragon

I'm really curious what the fuck they're going to do to attract Wii U owners to the NX. I know they're going to do some different stuff with the NX, because what they're currently doing is completely failing to attract anyone but Nintendo's hardcore. But what about their hardcore? Are exclusives really going to be enough to get them to upgrade again after how disappointing the Wii U was?

The Wii U audience consists of people who'd buy Nintendo games regardless of what they do.

I think they're not thinking of that audience at all. They're thinking how how to attract literally everyone but the Wii U audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom