• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Robertson (of Unseen64 fame): "NX is not aiming to compete on a power level"

Status
Not open for further replies.

quesalupa

Oh cooome on. I love you Nintendo, I really do, but I'm starting to love you in that "crack head cousin in rehab" kind of way.

The NX is supposedly coming out in the not so distant future from what I've heard and it's not looking to compete with the PS4 performance and power wise according to this rumor? If this is legitimate, that is one of the reasons why Nintendo is in the position they are in now. Imo, that is inexcusable unless it is a portable or something entirely different maybe. It's going to have to have an excellent gimmick and some great games to justify that decision.

Harmen

I am okay with that. But I do really hope Nintendo goes for comparable architecture and otherwise modern features in terms of, well, everything.

Less powerful =/= old hardware. Please Nintendo, no GC/Wii/WiiU/DS/3DS hardware anymore. And also aim for the future with software (like Splatoon).

Mononoke

Banned
No idea why people want the NX to be anything like the Wii U.......it's almost as if they want the NX to fail.

A $300-$350 system is closer to the Wii U. If the console failed because surprise, a high powered console doesn't fix their 3rd party problem, or consumers don't want to pay a high entry to Nintendos content...

A PS4 like system is a much bigger risk. Nintendo being locked into another high priced console w/ no room to slash, is exactly like the Wii U situation.

madmackem

The Wii U audience consists of people who'd buy Nintendo games regardless of what they do.

I think they're not thinking of that audience at all. They're thinking how how to attract literally everyone but the Wii U audience.
Going less powerful with the gimmick being its a handheld as well will fail worse it won't attract the none hardcore crowd and it will piss off the hardcore.

Why fix it if it ain't broke? Low-power system with a weird gimmick and no 3rd-party games? I've got nothing but optimism considering Nintendo's track record with this strategy.

Glass Rebel

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I think it's pretty safe to say that Nintendo wants to bring down the price of their hardware as close to impulse purchase levels as possible. I fully expect the NX to launch at $199.

Madness

I mean, Wii U barely matched against Xbox 360 seven years later.

And that's why it's floundering and why it's competitors are enjoying some of the best sales they've ever had. The fight between PS4 and Xbox One may be one-sided but both are doing better sales than their predecessors at this time.

Why is Wii U struggling? There's no issue it's getting Nintendo games it's all the other games they're missing out on. Which if this rumor is true, means NX will miss out as well. Games development isn't one dimensional and I agree, maybe Nintendo wants their own niche within an industry they're having a tough time competing in.

kiguel182

I mean I get that an handled device that can be connected to the TV for a cheap price full of Nintendo games might be an amazing proposition but this kind of approach seems to be a little too close to competing in the Apple space and I don't see how Nintendo can do better there that they can do against the PS4 and X1.

I guess it all comes down to the price and, hopefully, not being Android based but just easy to develop for.

It's all about games in the end so I'm really curious to see what approach Nintendo will take with this. I'm just not sure that competing with the iPhone or Apple really is the best approach to this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yeah like Ouya and all those other Android base consoles.

Consider the fact that Ouya almost didn't exist as any significant force in the market...

....yet it still got "big" games like Final Fantasy III.

I'd say that a mobile-port box with marketing behind it would gain a lot of quick n dirty ports that it would never have gotten otherwise..

Ansatz

This is what's so interesting about the next Zelda. I mean many here expect a Twilight Princess situation but what if NX is centered around the handheld SKU. Could the system even handle an open world home console Zelda? There is Hyrule Warriors 3DS, but I doubt Nintendo would allow a less than ideal running, watered down port of their flagship title. In that case I expect at most it will be exclusive to the home console version of the NX family.

Hatchtag

Banned
The Wii U audience consists of people who'd buy Nintendo games regardless of what they do.

I think they're not thinking of that audience at all. They're thinking how how to attract literally everyone but the Wii U audience.

I think they've got to account for that audience at least somewhat. There's probably a fairly decent amount of people who own a Wii U but wouldn't upgrade to the NX just for exclusives. There's also probably a fairly decent amount of people who are often interested in Nintendo games but failed to be drawn in for the Wii U. I think they really need to be sure to reel both of those crowds in, because otherwise they're looking at an experiment that, if it fails, could do even worse than the Wii U.

Madness

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170839610]Why fix it if it ain't broke? Low-power system with a weird gimmick and no 3rd-party games? I've got nothing but optimism considering Nintendo's track record with this strategy.[/QUOTE]

That's my thoughts exactly. Who knows, maybe it'll work, and maybe it won't. I'm leaning towards the idea it'll be a flop like Wii U though. Hopefully I'm wrong, I grew up a huge Nintendo fan. Just hate what they've become.

madmackem

A $300-$350 system is closer to the Wii U. If the console failed because surprise, a high powered console doesn't fix their 3rd party problem, or consumers don't want to pay a high entry to Nintendos content...

A PS4 like system is a much bigger risk. Nintendo being locked into another high priced console w/ no room to slash, is exactly like the Wii U situation.
I know people that would go all in with Nintendo system if they were on power par with the other two and had a stable online Eco system like the other two. The draw being you'd get all the best of third party with the special sauce of Nintendo first party.

borborygmus

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I think it's pretty safe to say that Nintendo wants to bring down the price of their hardware as close to impulse purchase levels as possible. I fully expect the NX to launch at $199.

Personally, I think it's going to be dirt cheap, maybe 149$ due to minimal R&D and hardware specs. That's the only strategy I could see having a chance of working in any way. They might even sell it at a loss, and attempt to make up for that with in-app purchases.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This is what's so interesting about the next Zelda. I mean many here expect a Twilight Princess situation but what if NX is centered around the handheld SKU. Could the system even handle an open world home console Zelda? There is Hyrule Warriors 3DS, but I doubt Nintendo would allow a less than ideal running, watered down port of their flagship title. In that case I expect at most it will be exclusive to the home console version of the NX family.
Is a handheld comparable to the Wii U out of the question?

biggest fear with the mobile push is they will end up like windows fone, getting select games at higher prices. It doesnt work, people don't want to pay 5dollars for angry birds (it only came in paid app til like mid last year)

People here saying that Nintendo is lame, backwards and can go into oblivion unless NX is portable.

But what if NX is portable? I mean, 3DS was made in 2011, when Wii was stills supported. It has a fair share of bottlenecks that Nintendo cannot overcome even with New 3DS (screen resolution is the main one).

I am definitely waiting for 3DS successor, in quirky and twisted way comparable to DS.

Mononoke

Banned
I know people that would go all in with Nintendo system if they were on power par with the other two and had a stable online Eco system like the other two. The draw being you'd get all the best of third party with the special sauce of Nintendo first party.

That's fine. But that doesn't necessarily = the majority, or in general higher sales than Wii U.

We are making a lot of assumptions that most consumers only want a Nintendo console for 3rd party content or as a main multiplatform. That it not being those things, is why it won't sell. Which is weird, given the PS4/X1 already have a major head start. I'm not seeing this consumer that wants their Nintendo console to be their main multiplat system.

I see people that want Nintendo hardware only as a means to get their software.

Gizuko

I'm legit shocked. It's not like the gap in power between the Wii U and the Ps4/Xbone is so wide you could just target something in-between and distance yourself enough from Wii U levels of power to justify upgrading hardware.

I was actually hoping for a Wii U to ps3 case at worst, to be honest - a bit more powerful than the ps4, but not by much and strugggling under some circumstances. Seems like a Wii case, though: lacking on power but with some kind of gimmick.

I knew this wouldn't happen, but I was hoping Nintendo would follow up their "VR is not fun" statements with something like "Here, nintendo-fun VR".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I feel like no one really thinks of this. I wonder if this is where the mobile game hate comes from.

It's the faux enthusiast perspective of chasing the norm as established by the old pattern of ever increasing hardware specifications and iterations of console generations. It's what most "gamers" are used to, and also to a certain extent what they like: evolving processing technology for fancy graphics and bigger games. And I mean, I'm one of them too, otherwise I wouldn't be ever chasing those new GPUs and monitor tech for my PC.

But it's an outdated, short sighted perspective of a broad industry that hasn't exclusively operated on this wavelength for a long time now. It's a perspective that is somewhat tainted by the cynical, exclusionary attitude towards "non-games" and "mobile games" as if they don't fit under the same umbrella as your Akrhams, GTAs, Elder Scrolls, Halos, and whatnot.

Fact of the matter is that there are no and have never been any rules to software and hardware and what constitutes as a market and success within those markets. There are obviously lessons to be learned and established patterns of market viability that shouldn't be ignored (the Wii U is an excellent example of a colossal fuckup in this area).

But the fact of the matter is that many people mistaken their wants for what should be. People here, and elsewhere, want a Nintendo platform that follows the rules and patterns of Sony and Microsoft, and the Nintendo circa GameCube, where a predicable leap in hardware power is presented identical to competitors while approaching the exact same market with little difference other than banking on Nintendo branded software to differentiate. Reality: Nintendo bowed out of this race ten years ago and have routinely expressed no interest of rejoining.

As someone who fucking loves cutting edge tech and what it can do for software I wouldn't personally say no to a Nintendo console that competes with Sony/Microsoft, and what that would mean for the Nintendo software I love. But it's not going to happen and just because I want it does not mean it has to happen. Video gaming software as a market and industry cannot and will not survive on being a niche, one dimensional hardware race where everybody runs the same race. Apple/Android have already proven this isn't necessary. Hell Nintendo proved this with the Wii. Ya'll may not like it and it may not be the product you want. It may not herald in success for Nintendo because what matters most is the specifics not just simple descriptions of a vague direction. But it is what it is, and it's been long time to get the fuck over it. Doubly so if you're interested in Nintendo software but keep waiting for them to return to a hardware race they abandoned a decade ago.

kBCvkzh.png

JTuwitXY_bigger.jpg

deleted

If it got more Power than the Wii U, it will be fine. I expect something on the level of the XBox One, but not quite as fast. That would be enough for 3rd Party ports -maybe on 720p- should they come. Make sure you got UE4 and you will be fine for many games. Remember that we still get the same games on PS3/4 like Destiny and MGSV and that's almost two years in...

And in case they don't, the system will be comfortable for Nintendo and Indies which will be enough when they can sell with a margin. Remember that Nintendo has games like SSBWiiU that put out 1080p/60FPS on the Wii U. They will be able to put out amazing stuff with a bit more power.

I never said what I believed nintendo should do, merely what they shouldn't and that's design the NX after the Wii U. Lord help them if they name it the Wii U+

Zalman

We're at a point where I don't really care about the power anymore. Games on Wii U look fine. This is a problem however if they have any hopes of getting third-party support. Personally, I want them to focus on getting the price and the ecosystem right.

No, he had a podcast that people paid to listen to, and the leaks he had were things that had already been leaked. He did not share them through Twitter, people were made to pay.

It was $1, if paying that kind of money an issue then worrying about gaming shit should be the least of your worries.

xandaca

Gimmick's going to have to be an absolute blinder to get this one off the ground if true, especially since the XBox One and PS4 are not difficult to find (in the UK, anyhow) at around £250 each right now. I'd guess Nintendo would have to undercut that by at least £100 from the beginning if they're trying to sell people on only a minor upgrade on their existing hardware. It actually makes more sense to be a hybrid now (again, if true) but I continue to think that's not a great idea.

What if it's $99,- without a controller? Just use your old stuff or buy separately. Their handling of 3DS chargers lets me worry about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom