• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life of MMo gamers - "We hate all MMos".

syko de4d

played archeage the last 2 days. I like the idea of being a pirate, ship battles etc. but man i cant play the game. I get ultra bored from the combat :/

Authority

Banned
played archeage the last 2 days. I like the idea of being a pirate, ship battles etc. but man i cant play the game. I get ultra bored from the combat :/

Man the leveling process for an F2P is fucking insane. If you are a hardcore it should take you to reach 50 within 2 weeks to a month.

I am still 16 after two days :>

Edit: You have NO idea how much I hate questing of X rats these days.

Ogimachi

Same here. Such a disappointment. I have my traditional MMO slot occupied by FFXIV already, can't take more than that.

I heard a bunch of talk of how new and sandbox-y it was supposed to be. Played long enough to get into the mid 20's and it was nothing but the standard super boring questing that been done before in a bazillion MMOs. Maybe it gets better, but how much trash do they expect you to play through?

Authority

Banned
I am so good. Did I not tell you that Blade & Soul will come either end of 2014 but more likely early 2015?

Bow to the Master! Break it down!

Today at Gamescom I had the chance to meet the product manager of BnS EU/NA.

Talked to her for a while about their plans for BnS.

Please take everything with a grain of salt

• Release date is aimed at 2015 (rather late)
  • Client base will be Chinese client.
  • Fatigue system might not be present (she strongly dislikes it but as I understood there are no concrete plans yet)
  • Warlock class will not be included initially
  • They will most likely have PvP and PvE servers.
  • Plans are that you will still choose your faction on PvP server but there won't be a need to equip PvP dobok to attack players.
  • You will most likely not be able to change faction on PvP servers.
  • Edit: Game will be a f2p model but not interely free (I have no idea what she meant with that... But i kinda don't like the sound of that. Maybe its jusz B2P?)
I will see if she will be there tomorrow agan. If you guys have questions (be reasonable) post them here and I will see what I can do.
Since it seems some people don't believe me I'll also try to get a picture tomorrow :)

EDIT WITH UPDATE ON SECOND PAGE.

Got some questions answered

But first of all. She will drop by the weeks and say hi. She will also do an AMA soon. Be nice guys she is really nice as well and happy that there still is a big community like ours for BnS.

We also got a photo done! It's on her phone so dunno what she's gonna do. But I know I got prove now!

Finally here are some answers.

Why delay

Many reasons. One big main reason are techincal differences in the clients. As an example Tera (good ping and fps in korea but horrible in EU mainly because how much faster the internet in korea is)

They know how important ping is.

We also know another reason ;)

PvP

Bigger focus on pvp overall (especially owpvp since arena is already there)
Tournis is a yes / same for esports. She mentioned the korean tournis as an example.

Payment model

No decision

lvlcap/content on release

Don't know yet

No gamescom?

Because they where simply not ready for it. She doesn't know wether they will be at E3 or not. At least it wasnt a definite no :)

Multiple Servernodes

She is aware of how important ping is and is already looking into multiple solutions.

Beta Early 2015

That's what I got for now. I did look at all questions you asked. The ones that are not listed, didn't have an answer.

She also talked about the light and dark path in endgame and leaving people more choice there but I've never seen that so dunno maybe someone can elaborate.

There also is an open position for a community manager on the NCSOFT wich is for BnS.

This is all written on my phone so you better not complain.

Credits to - B&S Dojo

syko de4d

Skyforge Gameplay from Gamescom Twitch Stream

www.twitch.tv/twitch/b/558668156?t=283m00s

I must say the combat looks really fun. I hope i get into the closed beta at the end of the year ;O

And wtf... the God Form, that could be fun :D

edit: youtube mirror, but twitch stream has way better quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxVvtvc99Nw

Oh man i am really hyped after that video, combat looked so fun and fluid. Just Great. Maybe my most wanted MMO after this Video.

Isaccard

I miss the fuck out of SWTOR. It was my first MMO. And the PvP was amazing. And then it went F2P. And then I never looked back. Until recently anyway

Authority

Banned
Little stale now, but figured I'd drop this one off here.

FFXIV Chinese Preorders hit 1 Million

Considering this is just the preliminary launch and how it's been ballooning since closed beta, I can't wait to see those inflated Chinanumbers hitting XIV reports. Feels like WoW all over again.

Well from the bottom of my heart I do hope that FFXIV never stops evolving. I may have jumped the ship for good this time but I hope it will become the ultimate Final Fantasy experience.

Authority

Banned
Giveaways will start on the 20th.

ArcheAge Fourth Closed Beta Event Coming This Weekend

Trion Worlds announced that the fourth Closed Beta Event will begin this weekend, starting from August 22 at 10:00 AM (GMT-7) and running until August 27. If you took part in the CBE3 you will only need to patch your client to Build 4.6 which will be available on the Alpha servers tomorrow.

This new closed beta event will bring a localized version of ArcheAge so you will be able to play the game in English, French, or German on any server. All you have to do is go to the Glyph Client Settings, click on General and select the desired language. There won’t be any wipe prior to the CBE4 so your character progression is saved.

The CBE3 keys won’t be valid in the fourth event so you will have to get a new one from one of the partner sites that will start hosting giveaways on August 20. The Alpha servers will also be live during this event.

I don’t know if I missed the announcement, but I still don’t know how many Closed Beta Events they are going to release until the game finally moves to the long-awaited Open Beta Test. If you want to learn more about the game, take a look at our ArcheAge HUB

2P.com

This will be my last time I am posting a topic from MMOrpg.com . I have enough respect for myself to know that they are already on a payroll; which means that they have started "hiring" guest columnists to write marketing material and promote a positive vibe of a state of game that is in decline. This has not only happening with WoD and the lack of criticism regarding Blizzard's recent actions but the increasing lock-in-up threads as well as other games to heavily moderate critical pieces that will hurt the sales of each MMOrpg game.

As another example; who is Genese Davis,

Genese Davis / Genese Davis is an American author, host, columnist and media personality. She is the author of The Holder’s Dominion, a next-generation thriller heralded as a breakthrough novel by Publishers Weekly. Davis is the founder of The Gamer In You and was recently awarded iGR Woman of the Year. Her writing expertise expands across various literary genres including thriller, fantasy, sci-fi, gamer-lit, new adult, and young adult, along with screenplay, playwriting, video game lore, characterization, and narrative. Davis is an in-demand host, speaker, and moderator, appearing internationally for TV, web-series, conventions, academic fairs, publishing workshops, as well as literary and entertainment expos. In addition, she is a featured columnist at MMORPG.com. Residing in Irvine, CA, Davis advocates for her other passion, animal rescue. To learn more, visit GeneseDavis.com.

World of Warcraft Column: It Continues to Surprise Us Year After Year

“I don’t know how Blizzard does it every time, but they do it every time,” said GameSpot’s Chris Watters after the cinematic for Warlords of Draenor premiered at the Ace Theatre. The emphasis Watters had in that statement resonated with more than a thousand attendees who watched with bated breath as the event took place. I also watched breathless as the cinematic debuted. Blizzard’s cinematics have always been state-of-the-art examples to the premium quality this company strives to achieve for each of their games.

The line for this event was incredible and gave an example of the amazing loyalty and fandom gamers have around the world for World of Warcraft. Thousands of people gathered for a chance to gain entrance into the theatre to watch the reveals. One gamer even arrived at the theatre two days before the event and waited outside on the sidewalk to ensure his seat!

It is really interesting to compare the Mists of Pandaria expansion with the Warlords expansion—how different they feel, how diverse and intriguing they both are in their own way. Mists gave such a feeling of serenity, a focus on the earth, peace, and balance; reminders to slow down, enjoy the little things, and appreciate what life can offer. Warlords details showcase an almost entirely opposite feeling, but in such a powerful, meaningful way. The cinematic and mini series reveal new stories and a new spotlight on Orcs. These storylines draw together elements of desperation, darkness, a focus on strength, tenacity, the voracious, the pain of betrayal, and the allure of power. We are on the corner of Serenity and Savagery, and it’s going to be an exciting shift beginning on 11.13.14!

Before the event began the whole theatre waited patiently, then erupted with cheers when Mike Morhaime took the stage. Morhaime welcomed and thanked everyone profusely for joining the event. Two World of Warcraft designers, Ion Hazzikostas and Brian Holinka, took the stage next and kept the audience captivated by their passionate descriptions of the Warlords of Draenor expansion. Chris Watters asked the developers about a number of aspects, starting with the level 90 character boost option. Hazzikostas and Holinka described the mentality behind this boost as a way to enable players who may be a bit behind in leveling to be able to join their friends more quickly in the current expansion. They elaborated briefly about how there will be a method and designated place to get to know the boosted class to keep the returning player from feeling too overwhelmed.

Watters also asked the designers about the new PVP elements that will come with Warlords. The PVPers in the audience cheered when the designers mentioned skirmishes and bringing back a world PVP feeling and a resemblance to the old Alterac Valley four-day events. They mentioned new RTS elements getting implemented in Warlords and how this will bring a Warcraft feeling into WoW. Matching up a server mostly populated by horde with a server mostly populated by alliance will bring balanced faction battles to the game. There will be a PVP playground where players can flex abilities such as finding ways to sneak up on other players as well as looting rare and unique items—items such as special tomes with limited time buffs. The designers gave a priest example where the levitate spell could fly the character off the ground for a matter of moments, and a paladin example where laying down a judgment spell could send another player to a faction based prison. The audience in the theatre erupted in what sounded like gasps of surprise and shouts of glee when the designers described these new PvP elements—especially when they mentioned that in certain zones, when you kill another player, the killer can loot half the dead player’s PvP currency.

Events to kick off WoD are in store, much like past events such as the zombie plague. The dark portal in Warlords will be the first threat and first objective where players will need to address the Orcs laying waste to the Blasted Lands. The developers mentioned how they are really looking forward to this expansion and how so much of Draenor was built from the ground up. All of the Warlords zones and raids looked gorgeous up on that massive screen at the Ace Theatre. Audience members were pumping their fists and cheering in excitement in anticipation to play this expansion.

Chris Metzen also took the stage and introduced one of my favorite moments during the event: the release of part one of the mini-series, Lords of War. This may have been a quick cinematic but its appeal held a massive weight. The story centered around Kargath Bladefist and his clan, The Shattered Hand. The artwork was stunning, and the heartfelt glimpse into this Orc’s history—in an animated graphic novel 2d art form—was really impactful.

World of Warcraft has been such a fun game to play over the years. It’s really unique and fun to string together and re-experience all the memories I have of my time playing various expansions. This giant MMORPG continues to surprise and excite us year after year. I’d like to extend my heartfelt thanks to Blizzard Entertainment and the countless producers, designers, artists, writers, supporters, and fans. Thank you for your dedication and passion for video games and for gamers worldwide.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
If you're reading this Authority great OP bro. Lots of MMOs here I hadn't heard about. One thing though you forgot to mention Closers Online, Mystic Fighter Online, Vindictus, Rusty Hearts, and especially Dragon Fighter Online, which is releasing again into beta form soon.

carlo6529

Tree of Savior has got me excited. I used to play ragnarok online a lot, always imagined RO2 would look some like ToS does.

Cowie

Sort of a weird question, I guess it belongs here as much as anywhere..

What's the hardest MMO to play a Tank in? I enjoy tanking, but I want a challenge. I feel like I capped out in skill on FFXIV relatively quickly, I want a struggle.

Sort of a weird question, I guess it belongs here as much as anywhere..

What's the hardest MMO to play a Tank in? I enjoy tanking, but I want a challenge. I feel like I capped out in skill on FFXIV relatively quickly, I want a struggle.

A challenge? Maybe some of the more action oriented games like Tera or Wildstar since you have to actively block/dodge damage and whatnot. Sorry if I can't give a more complete answer but it should get you started.

And since we're asking questions, I had something I've been thinking about more recently but kind of forgot to post it once DFO global became a thing and it strongly relates to it.

See, I've played a lot of different MMOs (Granted tons of shitty free Korean grindfests) and even games in general. I've come across a lot of different services and the one I dislike the most are the games where we're split off from the rest of the community. A few examples are needed to get a better understanding, especially if you've never experienced a more 'worldly' (for lack of a better term, for now) community.

1: PSO/ver2 for the Dreamcast

PSO, lots of people knew about this game, I remember playing it in middle school because a friend got it only because he wanted to play the Sonic Adventure demo in it and had zero interested in playing the game itsef, so I borrowed it and got 'sick' a few days later with only some orange juice and a dreamcast to keep me company. Well, it wasn't till a half a year later once another friend, who I showed it to and he fell in love with it, got Sega net to play online. The game was suddenly different, you got to pal around with people, but not just anyone, people from around the world. It was awesome playing at 10pm and still seeing lobbies full but now it was full of people with weird names talking funny moon languages and you know what? That all didn't matter because people were playing and it was cool running around with people, even if you couldn't read their name or chats. But Sega really thought about this problem and implemented one of the coolest pieces of chat technology that I still love to this day and wish more games would put it in, the auto translator. They had pre-set questions, answers and had some degree of fill-in-the-blank for asking more specific stuff. I was amazed, even when we lacked a keyboard for typing, we still had a way to quickly ask or answer people in the game and even had the ability to have some basic interaction with people outside our language, it made me feel a bit more connected to the players even with the language barrier and it was the first time I was more interested in players of the game instead of the region they were from or language they spoke.

2: Ragnarok Online

I'm having a hard remembering when I first played this but I'm sure it was end of middle school/beginning of high school because it was during the beta before the full English release. The internet was still fairly new to me and I still relied on magazines for a lot of info. So, I didn't really understand about there being a Korean version of this game and we would get updates based off the original's updates. Well, I didn't get to play RO after the beta still some time in high school once dial-up wasn't a thing and I had a real computer to run it. By then I understood the internet more and was able to read up on all the stuff I missed from the first time playing. And was it a bit of an eye opener, updates were fairly spaced apart and the stuff appearing in kRO, at best, were seen in iRO in two years time. I started to wonder why I didn't just play kRO since iRO felt like it was just 'there' and it'd get updates whenever they got around to it.

3: Final Fantasy 11

Well, well, well. I was roped into playing this game and I enjoyed it. I liked the story missions and all the side quests to get things, like the quest chain to unlock the Toraimarai Canal passage in Windurst or having to wait a few in game days for my bard AF weapon to cure in some god damn snow in the middle of nowhere. But what made this so special to use as an example? Simple, the servers were shared much like PSO. The game came out in Japan first and later North America and much later Europe, we all shared the same server and it even gave me the chance to hang out with some British web designer, that was kinda cool. This game, like PSO, had an auto-translator function built into it and there were always players on. It was like PSO for Dreamcast all over again! But this was an MMORPG instead of an action MORPG, so it carried with it a lot of different problems with communication and with how important it was to keep your party in the know about things like: pulling, TP levels, problems with a pull, setting up chain skills/magic bursts and good old fashion bullshitting with the party to reduce boredom, the auto-translator wasn't as craze awesome in FF11 as it was in PSO mainly because of the player's attitude and how much tougher it was to convey all the different things that were happening in a party with people from different languages. I was never able to use Square's version fully but I'm sure White Mages from all over did. I was only ever in one party that I had a chance to use the auto-translator in some way and I was only ever given that chance because while I was an American player, the Japanese were so much more interested in the fact I was a bard and didn't give a care, so long as I gave them those sweet ass buffs.
jeBErY1.png

Actual picture of a bard, not my bard. He was more adorable.

They did understand some basic level of English, so they asked me a few things like what ' <3 ' meant and stuff like that, I'm guessing so they'd know what the hell people in Jeuno were talking about. Even without a lot of interactions with the players from across the ocean, I still enjoyed the feeling of logging in and still seeing loads of people late into the night. Another effect of this was the fact the markets were still being used so items were always being stocked/bought and the demand for some items waned during different hours meaning you could save a lot of money (thanks whoever put up all that cheap silk threads at night time, love ya) or make a few gil from playing the market from day to night. The feeling of being more part of the player base is something that was a lot more pronounced in FF11 compared PSO for some reason and I don't know why that was to be honest. Maybe it was the players had a bigger role in the world and even if we don't admit to direct interaction, we were still playing with each other by selling items on the Auction house or getting teleports or even healing/raising parties that were nearby as you both leveled. I don't know but I did feel more together even if I knew everyone wanted to stick to their own group.

And that really got me thinking, would more games like this become common? Were we going to be able to play a game where people from all over were on the same server? New tools developed to breakdown the language barrier between the players? Well, turns out, not really. Especially now with the rise of Free-to-play games. Tera, FF14 and PSO2 have shown me that's not really gonna happen and we are still gonna be cut off from one other. And it's not even limited to MMO/MOs anymore and I'll go into detail later on in a 2nd post later on.

But all hope isn't lost, some games are still being made to connect the world in some way, even if they weren't on the scale I enjoyed in PSO1/FF11. Stick around for part 2 where I write some stuff that doesn't really matter about DLC or localized games on the PSP or PSO2 or Dungeon-Fighter-something-on-line-BETA-WHEN-NEOPLE, whenever I feel like it, later tonight most likely.

Lucumo

Are there currently any MMOs out there that are worthwhile playing?

I'm looking for something like Perfect World Malaysian version which had one giant connected world (certain instances in dungeons being the exception), open (only in towns it wasn't permitted) PvP once you reached level 20, flying mounts, flying characters, fighting pets for a certain class (Werefox), territorial battles and a cash shop which doesn't sell you advantages, only cosmetics, mounts and materials for the people who didn't want to collect anything). It also had a nice crafting system and stat distribution was however you like it. So glass cannon builds were possible (some MMOs are really restrictive in that regard). The only thing which bothered me somewhat was that grinding took forever (I'm looking for a timewaster though (3-4 hours after work + on weekends), so even that would be fine).
In the International and European version that was changed but especially the former one was totally crap (and it had tons of bots the day the open beta started). Heck, even the world map was less colorful.
Ah, and character customization was excellent, probably the best back in 2007/2008.

Subscription would be preferred but unfortunately, that model is pretty much dead these days.

Please no recommendations with cash shops or "founder packs" or whatever which give advantages to certain players, that's a big no-no.

Makki

F2P is basically Korean galore:

Aion (oldest)
Archeage
Blade and Soul (newest)
Tera

The mmo genre is dead as far as US releases for new IPs. People are content with playing a relic of a game that starts and ends in "W"

Mephala

What kind of MMO are you after?

Since you didn't rule out b2p then I'll recommend Black Desert and Guild Wars 2.

If you like sandbox style I'm loving Black Desert Online at the moment. It has action combat, plenty of life skill type stuff to do (gathering, cooking, crafting, trading, fishing etc). It also has one of the craziest character creators I've seen. The recently released an expansion that takes you to another continent via travelling across the ocean. Can't comment on that as I haven't even finished exploring the previous areas yet.

Guild Wars 2 was a lot of fun. I haven't tried the expansions but the races, combat and exploration was great. The variety in things to grind was kind of nice. I enjoyed the jumping puzzles and dungeons too.

Top Bottom