• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Import Thread

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LROT1.jpg

As Lightning, it is your mission to save souls so they may be brought to a new world. However, with only thirteen days remaining, not everyone can be saved. Armed with all-new weapons, player customization and battle abilities, you are in a race against time to fully understand your destiny. It all ends here.

SPECS

TITLE | Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII ライトニング リターンズ ファイナルファンタジーXIII

PRODUCER | Yoshinori Kitase
DIRECTOR | Motomu Toriyama
MAIN CHARACTER DESIGN | Tetsuya Nomura
MUSIC | Masashi Hamauzu, Naoshi Mizuta, Mitsuto Suzuki
ART DIRECTOR | Isamu Kamikokuryo
GAME DESIGN DIRECTOR | Yuji Abe
MAIN PROGRAMMER | Naoki Hamaguchi
COSTUME DESIGNER | Toshiyuki Itahana

RELEASE DATE | November 21 . 2013
GENRE | Role Playing
PRICE | ¥7,770

For PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Official Site

Goli

Is anybody else importing?
I actually bought the Chinese/Korean version from the Hong Kong PlayStation Store today since I managed to get cheap (relatively speaking) codes for that store, otherwise I would have bought the Japanese version, had I imported. Still hoping Japanese subtitles are available if I set my PS3 to Japanese but I don't think that's gonna happen, somehow. Bought partially since I think the battle system looks really fun and also because I want to see how this ends soon. If the game doesn't have a really crazy stupid ending I'm gonna be disappointed.

Vashetti

Banned
You'd probably make more sense of the story by playing the Japanese version.

Look forward to impressions and whether the framerate was cleaned up (I doubt it).

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Is anybody else importing?.

I'm going to get the japanese version on launch but probably using it only as a DEMO while waiting for the western release. I'm just too used to english voice actors at this point and I would like to end the story with them for the first time. Definitely my most anticipated game of the year and second in the entire generation :D

My current orders:

Lightning Ultimate Box
OST
Action figure
PAL version of the game in feb.

for now...
surely an omega ultimania will be added to this once announced!

That said, I'm totally ready for this. She even blessed me in Eorzea just today!

It's like 2009 all over again. I must admit with XIII-2 I was not hyped as much as with this. I'm just a bit upset there's none LE OST but well... I guess Lightning Box is still something pretty.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Is anybody else importing?
I actually bought the Chinese/Korean version from the Hong Kong PlayStation Store today since I managed to get cheap (relatively speaking) codes for that store, otherwise I would have bought the Japanese version, had I imported. Still hoping Japanese subtitles are available if I set my PS3 to Japanese but I don't think that's gonna happen, somehow. Bought partially since I think the battle system looks really fun and also because I want to see how this ends soon. If the game doesn't have a really crazy stupid ending I'm gonna be disappointed.

I'm getting the Japanese version because I can't stand the English cast. Actually hoping the game leaks ahead of time lol.

Marvelous

Here's hoping that the game and of course, the soundtrack, will actually be pretty decent. I'm looking forward to hearing people's opinions and reviews for this game.

Looking forward to the soundtrack more than the actual game, so that'll help tide me over until the NA release. I give the FFXIII games a share of mud-slinging, but my overall experience with both have been on the positive side in general. I just wish the storytelling was good and that the games had a clear narrative direction from the get-go.

I'm getting the Japanese version, because I own the other two in Japanese too.
I can't wait to play it! Event though I'm not nearly finished with Tales of Symphonia on PS3 (100 hours and still on playthrough 2 out of 5 total)

I'm really, honestly holding out hope that the game is actually good, but...

Saw a JP blog this morning that SE has put a strong focus on ensuring that the player will never get a view of Lightning's panties.

Sigh.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm really, honestly holding out hope that the game is actually good, but...

Saw a JP blog this morning that SE has put a strong focus on ensuring that the player will never get a view of Lightning's panties.

Sigh.

Even the commercial is pushing "dress up action" so there you go.

LuuKyK

If only I could read Japanese. :( This would be already pre-ordered. Oh well. Can't wait for impressions from you guys.

Ultimania guide is out Dec. 25.

Any chance we will get the Collector's Edition guide like the one they had for XIII and XIII-2? I mean, in the US.

Edit: Oh, you're talking about Ultimania. Well, my question still stands though.

Vashetti

Banned
Kagari, any idea on what SE would consider a success for this game?

I can't imagine it selling loads when it comes to the West.

Aeana

Waiting on the English version because Troy Baker. Probably wouldn't have time to play it until February anyway.

I can't stand Ali Hillis's work, and since Lightning's the only playable character, I don't think even Troy Baker's acting can get me to buy the NA version of this. Is the Asian version confirmed to have English subtitles? And will it come out for the 360?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I can't stand Ali Hillis's work, and since Lightning's the only playable character, I don't think even Troy Baker's acting can get me to buy the NA version of this. Is the Asian version confirmed to have English subtitles? And will it come out for the 360?

Asian version only has Chinese subs.

Toth

I am so interested in seeing LR's sales total but there is something I am wondering about: Digital sales. Was FFXIII-2 sold digitally when it released or is it new for LR?

Riposte

In general? Palutena was great.

LiK

She's phoning it in or she has a bad VO director. She did a much better job as Liara in the ME series.

Asian version only has Chinese subs.
That's too bad. :/ My Chinese reading isn't good enough that I can understand it all, and I was hoping I'd get to really hear the FF13 Japanese cast.

In general? Palutena was great.
Oh, no. Should have specified I meant her work for Lightning. I don't know much about her outside of that role. She just seems very flat, especially if you ever saw that video of her and Troy Baker at some convention doing live voice overs together. Stark contrast in range.

Goli

I am so interested in seeing LR's sales total but there is something I am wondering about: Digital sales. Was FFXIII-2 sold digitally when it released or is it new for LR?

The digital version of XIII-2 came out a long time after release. The day-one digital download thing didn't come until after, so that's why I guess they didn't bother with one at that point, specially since most of the sales for these kind of games come from retail anyway.

At best it'll probably do a few thousand copies digitally.

MechaX

As others mentioned, Ali Hillis can do really good work (in case point, Palutena in Kid Icarus, Liara in Mass Effect, and Burroughs in Shin Megami Tensei IV).

But the dialog and script for Lightning is just unequivocally bad no matter what language it's in. It's even awful in her FFXIV events, which is absolutely hilarious given how the game has a strong localization and script everywhere else.

Toth

The digital version of XIII-2 came out a long time after release. The day-one digital download thing didn't come until after, so that's why I guess they didn't bother with one at that point, specially since most of the sales for these kind of games come from retail anyway.

At best it'll probably do a few thousand copies digitally.

This has me concerned though. DD sales are becoming much more popular in Japan. Are we ever going to get accurate sales of titles when they may make quite a killing in the digital market.

Top Bottom