• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Import Thread

7, 9, 8 for me. Granted, I've only played the LR demo, and it's nice (if extremely short), but XIII-2 is still the high point IMO.

I also think that XIII-2 will remain the high point for me. Guess my personal verdict will be like:

XIII: 7
XIII-2: 9
LR: 8 (based on what I've played of the jp version + impressions)

Gameplay was a bit barebones for me in XIII. I don't know why I prefer the sequels as they are 'not good' in the story department, but I had a blast with them.

XIII-2 is one of the most fun jRPGs of this gen imo. And I think that it should've been a standalone game rather than being part of the XIII series.

XIII-2 is definitely the best one.

I'd argue that it had been a pretty good mainline entry with more varied gameplay and a better/longer story.

It was quite close given that it's a toriyana-crafted game. There was the spirit of the older entries in some respects imo...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'd argue that it had been a pretty good mainline entry with more varied gameplay and a better/longer story.

It was quite close given that it's a toriyana-crafted game. There was the spirit of the older entries in some respects imo...

Definitely. It got close, but not quite. I enjoyed it more than XIII and LR though.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
For me FFXIII is largely superior to XIII-2 from every single aspect of the game. Design-wise XIII-2 is an amateurish work without ambition. A copy/paste of mechanics without the proper implementation. XIII is original, well executed, polished... for me, perfect.

That said I now expect random scores for LR, ranging from 4 to 9 depending on the reviewers (and that's the best case, because it means the game is not overhyped and intruguing for some reason to someone... like NiER and Demon Souls back at the time). Nowgamer for example seems to love it, so it'll be strange to not expect a good rating from them: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2238525/lightning_returns_is_actually_pretty_good_honest.html

HeelPower

Definitely. It got close, but not quite. I enjoyed it more than XIII and LR though.

Honestly why do you think its close to a traditional FF ? The game has strayed so far from being a FF game.

It centers only on two characters with little to no interaction with a believable world.FF is known for its large casts of characters and a focus on locales.XIII-2 has none of that. A flat monster collection mechanic that doesn't feel like it belongs in a FF ,forced puzzles that don't belong to the world and a Historia crux that destroys immersion.

I respect that you liked it the most out of the trilogy but to say that it got close to a classic FF formula is confusing to say the least.

You hated the anime cliche aspects of XIII and its terrible writing,yet FFXIII-2 takes that to the next level and then some.

Gameplay was no where near as polished ,balanced or satisfying as FFXIII.

XIII-2 beats XIII in terms of level design and map layout ,but even then it isn't particularly well done.

Falk

that puzzling face
Say what you want about corridors, at least XIII didn't feel bite-sized/episodic. XIII-2 you literally could have taken away half the areas and it wouldn't have mattered much at all. Every area in XIII served a narrative function if you view the game as a series of character development arcs (Which it was, for better or worse regardless of how well it was executed)

I enjoyed XIII-2's gameplay more though

Soundtracks I really can't decide. I like both XIII and XIII-2 for different reasons, and obviously while I have a personal bias with -some- of LR's music I also dig a lot of the stuff that wasn't by Hamauzu - Yusnaan and Wildlands for example had amazing music. I felt the final boss theme was a little underwhelming though, but that's because it sounds a lot more like a rehash of existing choral stems with a bunch of experimental 21st century pseudo-orchestration. It's a pity too because Invisible Depths was pretty godlike in terms of supporting the atmosphere of XIII-2's ending fights.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Someone on gamefaqs posted this:

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5nmOaSO6Xo

It's been a while since I made a topic here, haha. I faded into obscurity of FFX remasters. Anyway, today I managed to grab ahold of all remaining samurai garbs, and have uploaded the complete collection video for all garbs.

- 71 are in the game (one is obtained when you platinum the game)
- 14 as a DLC content (Spira's Summoner, Sphere Hunter, Soldier 1st Class, Midgar's Flower Girl, Shogun, Shining Prince, Art of War, Dark Samurai, Flower of Battle, Sohei Savior, Utsusemi, Divine Wear, Moogle Lover, and Ultimate Savior)
- 1 for having any kind of FFXIII save
- 1 for having any kind of FFXIII-2 save
- 1 for completing the demo and uploading the score on Zaltys boss

shaowebb

7 is probably the high end. It will be viewed as mostly okay to average.
Well...that solidifies it. After that all I can say to this game and Lightning in general is the following.
jkQQVYg.jpg

cafemomo

welp, I knew it wouldn't work but that costume you get from the NA demo wouldn't register on my JP copy

I should of had known better than to buy all the costumes from the JP store :s

Top Bottom