• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lionhead Studios and Press Play closed. Fable legends cancelled.

After I played the beta for a while I kept thinking how this should have been Fable 4 from the start. It looked damn good with some very cool character designs and I loved the town and how it looked. Combat was definitely fun but the way these quests were set up got old way too soon. Its goddamn sad to see them closing the studio though, both studios. WHY?

Alienous

They should have hired Phil Mitchell as their Microsoft go-between.

"Lionhead just need a little bit more..."
"We can't give them any more time. The game is way over budget"
"Get out of my pub. The ladies and gents there are working their arses off"
"... how much time do you need?"
"Time? What I need is... what I need is crack"
"We're closing the studio"

I put too much into this post before I knew it was going nowhere.

SparkTR

They had already made 3 huge AAA Fables before. And yes they had issues in development but they still shipped them. The talent and ability were already within the studio, so no the point stands and the demand from consumers would have been there.

Lionhead is only dead right now because of Fable Kinect and Fable Legends happened instead of Fable 4. Terrible management of the studio and the IP.

Heartbreaking we'll never get to explore Albion agaib

Could also consider that AAA in 2016 is probably a lot different than AAA in 2008 in terms of production costs etc.

Ascenion

Whens the last time you even play it? PC version is the great.

Likely a few months. My roommate played it more than me. It just never looked good and when I played it my fears were pretty much confirmed. A prime example of nobody asked for this. I was hoping they could glean so,etching out of it for Fable 4 since it wasn't all bad, but like others have said, it just wasn't good.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Woah. Didn't expect this today when I woke up this morning. :(

Garlador

First Phantom Dust, now Fable Legends.

... I'm growing concerned Microsoft doesn't know how to manage their IPs and studios.

I hope everyone who lost their job lands on their feet.

RIP Lionhead :(

Hope that the game gets out there somehow or another, it seemed like 90% done anyway.

Would be nice for it to be leaked

Sounds like to me, someone above Phil's paygrade doing some cleanup. Sad for those that lost there job though. I played in the beta and while it was fun I didn't see myself putting hours into it.

Be interesting to see where the IP goes now, possibly another studio will take the helm.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It's all because of Kinect if you think about it.
Kinect mess up Rare, Lion head, mess up Xbox one from power to price, all because of the "sucess" of Kinect.
Lol fucking Kinect. Ran a train through a whole bunch of studios.

Miles X

MS is winding down from the games industry, is all I really get from this. They'll attempt a PC initiative but fuck it up, then slowly close/sell off their franchises and studios bar Halo.

This game screams Don Mattrick not Phil. I could be wrong though.

Absolutely.
Everything about Fable Legends reeks of that always online microtransaction phase from 2014.
It needed to go, and really it was the only remaining vestige of the Mattrick era still in development hell.

I don't understand the closing of Press Play though. Seemed like a nice small project to add some indie creativity to the portfolio.

Was The Movies just a huge commercial flop? I've seen people on here talk about it, but other than that, I've never seen it, never seen it on sale, never even heard people acknowledge the game. How did a seemingly well-received game go completely under the radar?

Different stories go around about what happen to the Movie during development and after release.

The official Story was The Movies didn't sell well and the console points were canceled. The unoffical story is the game sold very well during a time when pc games did not sell and Activision was trying to buy Lionhead only to be outbid by Microsoft. Activision canceled the ports.

That decimates their output. It is basically 343, Rare, Turn 10 and The Coalition now. BigPark, Good Science Studio, Launchworks, Lift London still seem to be open, but haven't released a game in ages according to their Wikpedia pages. It makes it kinda hard to count them. BigPark doesn't even have a website anymore.

Yeah its pretty crazy. MS have almost no 1st party at this point, and if Sea of Thieves doesnt sell what they want it to Rare could easily be next

Now people will never be able to enjoy this emote in all of its glory :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3SvWAunMvo

But seriously though, the presentation in the game was very good, even if the story was a bit hard to follow in between rounds of co-op. I'm really surprised they outright canceled it instead of retooling it into a singleplayer game, or even just opening the beta and reaping the MT purchases.

Absolutely.
Everything about Fable Legends reeks of that always online microtransaction phase from 2014.
It needed to go, and really it was the only remaining vestige of the Mattrick era still in development hell.
What, so the studio had to go to? Nah. F2P is not a Mattrick thing - Phil literally just announced an F2P Forza for PC.

Absolutely.

I don't understand the closing of Press Play though. Seemed like a nice small project to add some indie creativity to the portfolio.

LOL at blaming mattrick and no one else.

I won't be surprised if MS close down Rare and just keep their IPs. Killer Instinct is superb but it's made by Double Helix then handed over to Dave Lang.

I really don't think that would happen for two reasons. As I said, most of their games has been financially successful excluding Banjo Nuts&Bolts (Phil Spencer said it didnt sell what he hoped it would) and Kinect Sports Rivals. Rare Replay just released with a lot of success.

They also have such a huge history in video games that it would likely hurt Microsoft more than help them in terms of closing them.

Lastly Rare has not been in the same situation as Lionhead. Lionhead has continuously delayed Fable Legends and has created little Buzz. Its sad to see what happened as an end result, but they can't keep delaying a game especially when its Free to Play. There has to be a point of emphasis to release the game as it costs a lot of resources to keep a studio alive that isn't bringing a return, and it sounds like it was going to be delayed again.

In the end, I just hope that all the developers get back on their feet quickly.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I was expecting them to at least give Fable Legends a couple months of being live before killing it.

Surprised they didn't just spin off Press Play. Maybe you can't do that with studios in that country?

Zedox

I think they (Lionhead) were about to propose another delay (maybe 6 months?) and MS prolly said eff it and closed it down. Somebody got fired hard. That's the only way that makes sense. I mean this beta was out for a long time. Wasting development costs. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

So MS needs to still make a Fable game and a Phantom Dust game. Much work needs to be done on their side. They are losing 1st party games. Not to mention a Windows 10 game as well.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No. I do blame Phil for not cancelling the project earlier. All that money lost...

This I'll agree with. Game feels like a Mattrick always online joint.

Phil should have canned it when he had the chance vs letting the team try and rework the game though. Should have just cut bate, and told LH to make a Fable 4.

Could also consider that AAA in 2016 is probably a lot different than AAA in 2008 in terms of production costs etc.

Sure but plenty of other companies are still making AAA games, including MS

The fact is MS has a terrible track record with internal studios and this is yet another example in a long history of how they handle them

That sucks. I wonder if lionhead would have been better off if they'd just let them make more single player fable RPGs instead of turning the series into an on-rails shooter and whatever they were doing with legends. A single player rpg would probably be a lot easier than the multiplayer stuff they're doing and there's still a lot of money to be made in the genre.

Top Bottom