• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List of known resolutions for next-gen games

adelante

Also, artist, if I can make a suggestion on presentation. These lists are just going to get longer, and the readability is starting to suffer a bit from the unaligned data and random order. I'd definitely suggest alphabetizing the lists. And might it be clearer to put them in [ code ] tags to monospace it? You can still link, and I think it'd make finding specific titles and comparing them much easier. Something like this:

Code:
[URL="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4"]Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag[/URL]          1920x1080    30fps
[URL="https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/304534982460837889"]Knack[/URL]                                   1920x1080    30-60fps
[URL="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-resogun"]Resogun[/URL]                                 1920x1080    60fps

Or if there's another way to make an aligned table maybe, just organizing alphabetically and in columns for clarity seems like it would really help.

Yeah I'd recommend putting it all in a table, so it's easy to compare between multiplatform titles.

artist

Banned
Also, artist, if I can make a suggestion on presentation. These lists are just going to get longer, and the readability is starting to suffer a bit from the unaligned data and random order. I'd definitely suggest alphabetizing the lists. And might it be clearer to put them in [ code ] tags to monospace it? You can still link, and I think it'd make finding specific titles and comparing them much easier. Something like this:

Code:
[URL="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4"]Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag[/URL]          1920x1080    30fps
[URL="https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/304534982460837889"]Knack[/URL]                                   1920x1080    30-60fps
[URL="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-resogun"]Resogun[/URL]                                 1920x1080    60fps

Or if there's another way to make an aligned table maybe, just organizing alphabetically and in columns for clarity seems like it would really help.
Good suggestion, I'll try to organize it like that when I get home. Thanks.

TUROK

Oh man. I was just looking at a thread similar to this on beyond3d for the current gen. Awesome thread. Subscribed!

Also agree about The Order. While not technically 1080p, for all of the merits one would want from 1080p (aliasing, scaling, etc) it is 1080p. It's essentially 1080p just with no rendering information in the top and bottom black bars.

It's like calling a 2.4:1 blu-ray "not 1080p".
It's 1920x800 without scaling. I'm not sure why anyone would take offense to not calling it 1080p when it isn't.

It's still a very high resolution and nothing to scoff at.

Because a PS4 / XB1 doesn't cost anywhere near what a PC capable of running it at 4K does.

Price is a completely fair and reasonable factor when choosing a product. However, if you're willing to be patient then the cost/performance ratio will slide back in the PC's favor in a few years. You'll have to upgrade or purchase a new PC eventually anyway, so when that day comes consider spending a few hundred extra that would've gone towards a console instead, and you'll have a rig that blows them away.

Carl on Duty?

fHmTX7l.jpg

??

Josh7289

Oh my, I had no idea that Smash Bros. was going to run at 1080p. Now I'm super excited. It's going to be so clean compared to the jagfest of Brawl. SO EXCITED!

Timu

Oh my, I had no idea that Smash Bros. was going to run at 1080p. Now I'm super excited. It's going to be so clean compared to the jagfest of Brawl. SO EXCITED!
Res isn't going to hide all those jaggies, Forza 5 is 1080p and it's a jagfest.

Melchiah

Res isn't going to hide all those jaggies, Forza 5 is 1080p and it's a jagfest.

It's quite humorous in retrospect, how there were claims before the launch that Forza had a clean jag-free image, whereas Killzone had jaggies in abundance. It didn't quite go that way when the systems and games were released.

mcfrank

Price is a completely fair and reasonable factor when choosing a product. However, if you're willing to be patient then the cost/performance ratio will slide back in the PC's favor in a few years. You'll have to upgrade or purchase a new PC eventually anyway, so when that day comes consider spending a few hundred extra that would've gone towards a console instead, and you'll have a rig that blows them away.

I am a semi-PC gamer, but the thing that keeps me using consoles most of the time is the troubleshooting. It seems very rare that I can just install a game and then play it on PC without 30 minutes of time on a forum to see why it is crashing or why some other thing is wrong. I am at a point in my life where I have the funds to buy a killer gaming PC, but it holds almost no appeal because I need the game to just work when I have time (my limiting factor) to sit down and play.

Until PC games can be as reliable and easy to use as console games, the console will win IMO.

Timu

It's quite humorous in retrospect, how there were claims before the launch that Forza had a clean jag-free image, whereas Killzone had jaggies in abundance. It didn't quite go that way when the systems and games were released.
Funny how the tides have turned.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The OP says that Killzone: Shadow Fall is 30fps single-player... but I played it recently and while it is true that it is 30fps, it goes over that MULTIPLE times. The game definitely runs at like 45 average.

Timu

The OP says that Killzone: Shadow Fall is 30fps single-player... but I played it recently and while it is true that it is 30fps, it goes over that MULTIPLE times. The game definitely runs at like 45 average.
It's actually like 35-40FPS on average.

TyrantII

Hmmm. Maybe it wasn't the OP but isn't someone tracking with a spreadsheet next gen game performance?

B3D isn't doing what they did last gen with detailed spec info (res, fps, rendering info) per game yet, are they?

Sorry for all the questions...

Top Bottom