• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 reviews

Also for all the flack ign is getting in the OT, I do find it somewhat hypocritical that Sony got away with having a release day embargo on yet another games riddled with bugs, day 1 patch or not.

Its simply not on. Especially, in the UK at least, they are charging significantly more for this game than most releases this week.

Release days embargos are bullshit. Fullstop. Dont care what game it is or who is publishing it.

IGN was the first review I checked and I was baffled at the score. I'm glad they're an outlier here because I'm kind of interested in this game
after playing Run Sackboy, Run

TI82

Banned
So tempted. But I have yet to buy a little big planet game (got 1 with my ps3, got 2 with PS+) so I feel... Iffy?

sn00zer

Also for all the flack ign is getting in the OT, I do find it somewhat hypocritical that Sony got away with having a release day embargo on yet another games riddled with bugs, day 1 patch or not.

Its simply not on. Especially, in the UK at least, they are charging significantly more for this game than most releases this week.

Release days embargos are bullshit. Fullstop. Dont care what game it is or who is publishing it.
Release embargoes suck, but the game so far doesnt seem to be universally rated poorly

Lol, so IGN gave the game it's lowest score, and added this gen at the bottom

[Editor's note - a Day One patch for LittleBigPlanet 3 may resolve some of the bug issues, but we have gone over the upcoming list of fixes and there weren't enough pertinent to our experience to justify changing the score].

And there are 2 patches now by the way so they haven't played the game with either.....

How come IGN didn't rail hard about
AC Unity and it's game-breaking bugs? You can fall off the map for christ's sake and the performance is atrocious.

Remember that different reviewers have different priorities. If the person who reviewed AC:U would have reviewed LBP3, maybe the score would be higher on IGN (unless Lucy scored both).

Canon

Banned
How do you expect them to play something and re-review it in a day or so? Developers shouldn't fucking rely on patches.

Remember that different reviewers have different priorities. If the person who reviewed AC:U would have reviewed LBP3, maybe the score would be higher on IGN (unless Lucy scored both).

You would think a game's performance and stability would be a top priority for any reviewer though...

nelchaar

Yeah I definitely get that, but there's got to be some website policy that at least examines performance and bugs. Halo MCC, Unity and LBP3 should be panned if they don't function. That's like the minimum requirement for a game: to work! Reviewers shouldn't have a variable opinion about this.

Really quite frustrating to see the game get marked down for having a surplus of bug-related issues that have (supposedly) already been ironed out through a patch. For the sake of a better critical response, maybe Sony should've delayed the game into December so that review copies wouldn't have been blighted by such problems.

pager99

Hey gaf advice needed, I bought the US version of lbp3 on my us account but it didn't unlock it says 9 days till unlock ie euros release date any help would be appreciated to unlock this mofo

Release embargoes suck, but the game so far doesnt seem to be universally rated poorly

Yeah, I think that most people with creation levels are going to rate it higher.

Im just pointing out that Sony shouldn't be given a pass because of perceived bias.

A release day embargo on a game that has noticable bugs is starting to become a trend. Im not comfortable with it at all.

The Metascore on Metacritic is 79. That's not too bad.

That IGN editor's note... Come on.

Didn't they put a policy in place to rereview games if they were substantially improved through updates? They did this with Minecraft: Pocket Edition and few other games. It was a cool policy, especially in this day and age of patches and updates.

Really quite frustrating to see the game get marked down for having a surplus of bug-related issues that have (supposedly) already been ironed out through a patch. For the sake of a better critical response, maybe Sony should've delayed the game into December so that review copies wouldn't have been blighted by such problems.

Maybe it should be seen how many bugs have actually been patched away after all the releases so far this year.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Lol, so IGN gave the game it's lowest score, and added this gen at the bottom

[Editor's note - a Day One patch for LittleBigPlanet 3 may resolve some of the bug issues, but we have gone over the upcoming list of fixes and there weren't enough pertinent to our experience to justify changing the score].

And there are 2 patches now by the way so they haven't played the game with either.....
What? So instead of trying the patch they are reviewing the notes to see if they match up with any issues they had? Seems logical.

GnawtyDog

Banned

There is nothing to remember other than inconsistency in review standards across editors at IGN. That's ok though.....because it harms their credibility, and I don't mind that. Like a politician - you better avoid getting labeled inconsistent or say goodbye to your campaign.

I respect Lucy and I think she articulated her issues with the bugs and they're present in the video review - very transparent. So I personally got no problem with the score.

KalBalboa

Banned
How do you expect them to play something and re-review it in a day or so? Developers shouldn't fucking rely on patches.

I mean, the game released an hour or so ago at retail and they did fix these issues with patches. Seems fair to me.

Mailbox

so... to put it simply, this is gonna be the worst reviewed, worst assessed lbp to date, yet will be the best one yet.

And games media are wondering why people are starting to distrust game reviews so much...

(also, jesus wtf with that ign review, LBP1, 2, and vita are reviewed really highly by greg. I wonder what would have happened if greg reviewed it... idk... I guess i just think that a person that has been reviewing a series should keep reviewing a series and have it handed down to terribad reviews. At least for continuity's sake)

Edit: just fully read the review... jesus. Her bad points aren't even sensible to anyone who has played the game before. The falling though in levels is probably an unforeseen level design error, not a glitch. The fact that the game makes all characters the same for all players for a majority of levels isn't even close to a valid complaint. And my god... I'm getting sick of people complaining about the floaty controls. Whatever.... whatever.... ugh

There is nothing to remember other than inconsistency in review standards across editors at IGN. That's ok though.....because it harms their credibility, and I don't mind that. Like a politician - you better avoid getting labeled inconsistent or say goodbye to your campaign.

Doesn't it just harm the credibility of the writers who are shitty writers?

Grimløck;139344610 said:
fixed for accuracy.

okay, I only quickly watched the review and I thought I recalled her saying she was playing after the patch. So she didn't actually download it when she reviewed?

jmaine_ph

Wait wah??? So now we don't even try games after patches? Ok IGN.

so... to put it simply, this is gonna be the worst reviewed, worst assessed lbp to date, yet will be the best one yet.

LBP metacritic has gone down with each sequel despite each game being better than the predecessor.

In many ways, its also reflected in how little the games media care about the franchise. The novelty worn thin, and isn't as enduring for them compared to other types of genres.

HORRORSHØW

okay, I only quickly watched the review and I thought I recalled her saying she was playing after the patch. So she didn't actually download it when she reviewed?
not according to her note:

Wow, worst in the series by a MILE. Maybe it's time to put it to rest.
lol this chump

Draerf

I will say that even though I love what Sony has done with PS+, they've also released LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2 for free which wouldn't leave me feeling confident with my purchase if I bought the third one.

Seems like it'll be up there for free any day now WITH all the content people would've made by then.

Teknoman

I will say that even though I love what Sony has done with PS+, they've also released LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2 for free which wouldn't leave me feeling confident with my purchase if I bought the third one.

Seems like it'll be up there for free any day now WITH all the content people would've made by then.

Its going to be a VERY long time until its free i'm sure.

IGN should have done a "Review In Progress" for this game. Give it a few days to address any problems then give a final review score.

Top Bottom