• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 reviews

seems like a fun game i'll probably get it for christmas.

so many games coming out right now though so it's hard to pick what to play now and what to wait on.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
What is it with trequels and never reviewing as well as the first two games, despite being ostensibly better in many ways?

I understand the hate that IGN gets with some of their reviews, but that 6.8 wasn't graded simply due to the game's bugs - heavily influenced by perhaps. But it seems like there was a lot of missed opportunities in terms of some of the gameplay. IGN's review, and score, for that matter, are actually very similar to Gamespot's review.

Remember that different reviewers have different priorities. If the person who reviewed AC:U would have reviewed LBP3, maybe the score would be higher on IGN (unless Lucy scored both).

This too.

Looking good. I wasn't planning on buying this but after playing NSMB (terrible) and then Super Mario 3d World (great) I got in the mood. I'll pick this up in January.

Dranakin

Remember that different reviewers have different priorities. If the person who reviewed AC:U would have reviewed LBP3, maybe the score would be higher on IGN (unless Lucy scored both).

I get that, but both reviewers represent the same organization, so their criteria should be similar. Metacritic doesn't factor in who the author is when calculating the score. All that matters is "IGN says...".

Of course IGN, who is basically MS' PR department at this point, rates it extremely low and is completely inconsistent with other titles who have had bugs as well. AC:Unity and MCC (Which are Co-Marketed and Xbox Exclusive respectively) get a pass but not LBP3.

And to make it even better the reviewer didn't even play the patched version of the game, only read the patch notes.

How do people even take IGN seriously anymore?

Creaking

So since it was Sumo Digital it didn't underperform? I guess it's to be expected, but it's still kinda disappointing that it's the lowest rated in the series by a country mile.

Doesn't change that it's probably the best game in the series.

Of course IGN who is basically MS' PR department at this point rates it extremely low and is completely inconsistent with other titles who have had bugs as well. Unity and MCC (Which are Co-Marketed and Xbox Exclusive respectively) get a pass but not LBP3.

And to make it even better the reviewer didn't even play the patched version of the game, only read the patch notes.

Seriously, what the fuck?

Good god that IGN review is an absolute joke. 9/10 for MCC though, which I've heard is working just fine and has no game breaking bugs at all!

Ape

Banned
But in all seriousness, I think the series has lost its novelty. The Metacritic dropping from 95 to 91 and now the 79 shows that. Shit, even the Vita game had an average of 88, but that's not really the same.

Where does LBP go from here? Not sure, but especially with these scores I don't see it setting the sales world on fire - that is another nail in the franchise's coffin.

Of course IGN who is basically MS' PR department at this point rates it extremely low and is completely inconsistent with other titles who have had bugs as well. Unity and MCC (Which are Co-Marketed and Xbox Exclusive respectively) get a pass but not LBP3.

I think IGN review has yet to be completed. Maybe after they install all the patches, they should update their score.

Rodelero

But in all seriousness, I think the series has lost its novelty. The Metacritic dropping from 95 to 91 and now the 79 shows that. Shit, even the Vita game had an average of 88, but that's not really the same.

Where does LBP go from here? Not sure, but especially with these scores I don't see it setting the sales world on fire - that is another nail in the franchise's coffin.

You couldn't possibly be getting ahead of yourself here.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Of course IGN, who is basically MS' PR department at this point, rates it extremely low and is completely inconsistent with other titles who have had bugs as well. AC:Unity and MCC (Which are Co-Marketed and Xbox Exclusive respectively) get a pass but not LBP3.

While in a way you bring up an interesting observation, it's difficult to surmise the cause when different people review games at the same site.

The Lamp

I'm looking at the reviews and the only consistent negatives seem to be bugs...so I don't really think it has anything to do with the quality of the gameplay, level design, or concept of the franchise in general.

LBP1 has the best metacritic but I bet this game is in a better working state than it even was at launch. I remember LBP1 being riddled with connection problems and things like that. There were so many patches...MediaMolecule named them all after cheeses. And this game has way more content than LBP1 ever did at launch. Other than bugs, this appears to be an objectively beefier game.

Little big planet isnt going anywhere simply because it makes too much money in DLC.

Sooner rather than later however they are going to have to figure a way to improve the "floaty" controls and bring up the performance in a way that doesn't break the library of user created levels. That is the biggest challenge for the series.

dcelw540

an 88 is great what are you talking about! and its at a 79 with 17 reviews we'll get more in the next few hours

SSReborn

2D/3D LBP adventure. Where you play some parts of the game in a 2D perspective and others in a full 3D one like tearaway.

Just came home with my copy. Disappointed in some of the scores but upon hearing that there's a day one patch that mitigated some issues and IGN didn't bother to use them has me scratching my head.

Creaking

Little big planet isnt going anywhere simply because it makes too much money in DLC.

Sooner rather than later however they are going to have to figure a way to improve the "floaty" controls and bring up the performance in a way that doesn't break the library of user created levels. That is the biggest challenge for the series.

Done.

sn00zer

Vita version fixed a lot of the issues, which stemmed more from unruly physics rather than floaty jumps

That concern. Good reviews.

The Lamp

First of all, I and several others never had issues with the controls. But for those that did, this game has very much improved player controls.

Just came home with my copy. Disappointed in some of the scores but upon hearing that there's a day one patch that mitigated some issues and IGN didn't bother to use them has me scratching my head.
IGN didn't use them just like they didn't use them for MCC and Unity, or mention them in the reviews or dock them points. All about consistency.

Not going to lie, I'm a bit salty about IGN's idiotic inconsistency here, though quite a few low scores also sucks. Still can't wait to get it day 1, but I thought it would be an 84-87 average to be honest.

IGN didn't use them just like they didn't use them for MCC and Unity, or mention them in the reviews or dock them points. All about consistency.

Not going to lie, I'm a bit salty about IGN's idiotic inconsistency here, though quite a few low scores also sucks. Still can't wait to get it day 1, but I thought it would be an 84-87 average to be honest.

Well it's only 17 reviews or so right now.

Vire

While, I'm not going to disagree about IGN and the lack of consistency. (Assassin's Creed Unity nor MCC's review even mention the mountain of technical problems), the end score for LBP3 isn't much different than Gamespot's. I don't think there's any type of tin foil conspiracy going on, just shit journalism.

Thank you GAF for having post histories available. What a concern you have, it must be very serious.

Teknoman

The game is about creation first and foremost. If it gives creators alot more items and mechanics to use, and looks / performs better than previous entries, it served its purpose imo.

Next will probably be Little Big Universe or something with actual full 3D worlds.

Top Bottom