• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logitech confirms a new wheel for PS4 - and reveals a new Xbox One contender too

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think T300RS is expensive because it doesn't comes with 3-Pedals (Only 2-Pedals) and add-on shifter cost £129.99 whereas Logitech shifter cost only £49.99 and comes with 3-Pedal.
T300RS is a better wheel but when you add add-on, it way expensive.

I'd also be curious about the pedal quality on the G29 - logitech describe it as having progressive feel so it could be pretty nice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Could Logitech even make the G27 compatible if they wanted to? I remember reading that there's a chip inside the PS4 that prevents compatibility.

thats bullshit. The T500 works on PS4 and that is an old PC only wheel.The only things standing in the way of logitech supporting PS4 with older wheels are

- business fuckery - you'll buy our new wheel or you can fuck off (most likely reason)

- FFB. It is possible the new G29 isn't using immersion FFB and so won' t be subject to the licensing issues.

Seanspeed

Banned
thats bullshit. The T500 works on PS4 and that is an old PC only wheel.The only things standing in the way of logitech supporting PS4 with older wheels are

- business fuckery - you'll buy our new wheel or you can fuck off (most likely reason)

- FFB. It is possible the new G29 isn't using immersion FFB and so won' t be subject to the licensing issues.
It's possible the T500 just happens to have the requisite hardware for compatibility. Both sides have pointed fingers at each other, so we really don't know the full situation.

I would never consider buying a new wheel while my G27 is in perfect condition and if it does break down, I would never consider logitech again if they don't work out support for this device on current consoles.

Yopis

Im ready for this. People complain about everything. Wheel could be 1 dollar people would still whine its expensive.

spwolf

wait, didnt logitech say that they wont make G25/27 PS4 compatible because they closed their wheel making division? Now they didnt? what?

Seanspeed

Banned
Im ready for this. People complain about everything. Wheel could be 1 dollar people would still whine its expensive.
No, I don't think anybody would complain if it was $1.

A lot of us having existing $200/£200+ wheels from Logitech and suddenly cant use them on PS4. Now Logitech is asking us to pay £300 for an entirely new wheel when we've never really gotten a good answer why our existing G25/G27/DFGT wheels can't work.

I'm not one of those people that complains about everything and thinks everything sucks, but this is a pretty legit complaint.

A lot of us having existing $200/£200+ wheels from Logitech and suddenly cant use them on PS4. Now Logitech is asking us to pay £300 for an entirely new wheel when we've never really gotten a good answer why our existing G25/G27/DFGT wheels can't work.

I'm not one of those people that complains about everything and thinks everything sucks, but this is a pretty legit complaint.

Not to mention they are trying to sell a product that is essentially a g27 minus a shifter for $200 more.

jimforspeed

Neo Member
Terrible deal. It's amazing that after 8 years, still the DFGT is actually the best entry level wheel, and it's not a compromise, it's actually a very good wheel. Was hoping for something good with this one, but seems I'll change brand when I upgrade to a clutch and shifter wheel (DFGT currently).

LilJoka

On top of that the new wheel uses the exact same internal mechanisms and the pedal set also looks the exact same. It sounds like all they did was put a spring in the brake which has a softer and harder part of the coil (a la cheap brake mod).

paskowitz

There are probably a couple things going on here:

1. Logitech now has to pay both Sony and MS for licensing. In order to obtain official support for each console, I am assuming that Logitech had to pay a fee. This is probably the biggest reason the wheel is mechanically similar to the G27 but more expensive (G27 was never actually an official PlayStation product).

2. Logitech is not in a position to take a risk with the price/demand of this wheel. My bet is they won't produce/sell the G29 as fast as they sold the G25/G27. This is not just because of price, but because the market is arguably smaller (G25/G27 had GT4, GT5, and a large PS3 install base). There is also a lot more competition now.

3. This wheel is more expensive to produce due to the lower volume and manufacturing conditions/contracts/blahblah Logitech has in place.

4. They see what Thrustmaster is charging and feel, "we can/should charge that amount".

5. They really don't have a clue that people associate them as the "value/cheap" FFB wheel option.

$400 is too much. $300 would have been pushing it. $250 ideal. IMO Logitech screwed the pooch on this one.

There are probably a couple things going on here:

1. Logitech now has to pay both Sony and MS for licensing. In order to obtain official support for each console, I am assuming that Logitech had to pay a fee. This is probably the biggest reason the wheel is mechanically similar to the G27 but more expensive (G27 was never actually an official PlayStation product).

2. Logitech is not in a position to take a risk with the price/demand of this wheel. My bet is they won't produce/sell the G29 as fast as they sold the G25/G27. This is not just because of price, but because the market is arguably smaller (G25/G27 had GT4, GT5, and a large PS3 install base). There is also a lot more competition now.

3. This wheel is more expensive to produce due to the lower volume and manufacturing conditions/contracts/blahblah Logitech has in place.

4. They see what Thrustmaster is charging and feel, "we can/should charge that amount".

5. They really don't have a clue that people associate them as the "value/cheap" FFB wheel option.

$400 is too much. $300 would have been pushing it. $250 ideal. IMO Logitech screwed the pooch on this one.
I'm not really seeing the problem with the price...
The G27 launched at £329. Over the years, the G27 has been sold for as little as £149, and is pretty regularly available at £179. The G29 is launching at £299...

paskowitz

I'm not really seeing the problem with the price...

The problem is perception/expectation. It does not matter what the G27 launched at. People see the G27 at ~$200 now and then look at the G29 (which for all intensive purposes is largely the same) and ask themselves, "why do I have to pay twice as much?" Then compare it to Thrustmaster's offerings and it becomes even less appealing.

When the G25 came out, it succeeded the Driving Force Pro and added a lot of features. The increase in price was understandable. The G27 was only marginally more than the G25 when it came out (in line with what it offered).

The problem is perception/expectation. It does not matter what the G27 launched at. People see the G27 at ~$200 now and then look at the G29 (which for all intensive purposes is largely the same) and ask themselves, "why do I have to pay twice as much?" Then compare it to Thrustmaster's offerings and it becomes even less appealing.
I'm sure Logitech understand the market, and I'm sure they have priced it in anticipation of these kind of cheaper offers over the next few years.

The G27 was only marginally more than the G25 when it came out (in line with what it offered).
Logitech are currently selling the G27 on their site at £269.

This is very disappointing, very expensive, no shifter and no assurance that they will make things right for their past customers.

I will continue to use my DFGT on the PC/PS3 and wait for an affordable solution for GT7, definitely not from Logitech.

Guymelef

11337042_1158847020808281_1669667998917224654_o.jpg

11406226_1158847060808277_7688150848554129929_o.jpg

From Kunos Facebook Page - Is it the new Manual Shift?

What wheel version is?
PS4 buttons but no PS Logo.

Bladelaw

Nice. A word about compatibility of the G27 and the DFGT with the PS4? That´s what 95% of the users want to know...

This. Will my DFGT work? I understand they want more money but if Netherrealm can get my old fightstick working (thanks Skullgirls devs!) surely Logitech can get the wheel working.

Does the G29 offer any improvement over the G27 in terms of innards. Meaning are the gears any better, force feedback any better, the stuff that matters?. I really don't wan't to buy the same wheel twice.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Vote with your wallets and don't support these slimebag companies gentlemen. Logitech are clearly trolling and they expect you, the consumer, to feed them. Don't!

I've said it a million and one times already....those of you with older Logitech wheels that work perfectly fine, take both of your middle fingers and point them right at Logitech and your consoles. Come to the PC side where there are much superior racing games. Yes PC doesn't have Gran Tursimo or Forza, but it has PCars, Asetto Corsa, iRacing, all the Codemasters games, Game Stock Car, Trackmania, Grand Prix Legends, emulators, and a whole host of reasons to go PC. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

Qwyjibo

I'm perfectly ok to stick with my DFGT and just play my old PS3 and future PC racing games going forward. It'll suck to not play GT7 eventually but ehhh, whatever. I'll live.

Nhutty

Logitech could easily create USB drivers for the PS4 considering the G29 is a rebadged G27!

such a wasted opportunity. Hopefully they will announce G25/G27 support soon

MGR

It's been pretty much confirmed by SMS that PS4 support for legacy Logitech wheels WON'T be coming.

last couple of pages of this thread

So in a thread on the Pcars forum titled "NO Logitech G27 - Blame Slightly Mad Studios?" filled with people lamenting the lack of G27 support, Ian Bell strolls in and drops this line:

"Be calm and wait for some good news here"

... and the 'good news' turns out to be your G27 is still fucked but you can buy another G27 without shifter (aka G29) for $400USD in July?

Excellent work managing customer expectations.

Nafai1123

Banned
There's no way in fucking hell I'm buying a wheel that expensive knowing that they don't give a shit about supporting their products in the future.

Gonna buy this when the next Gran Turismo comes out.

Edit: just read the posts above mine and I'm having second thoughts. It's far to expensive and I agree that Logitech have been dicks about older wheels not working on newer consoles.

Bought one recently for £90.

Looks like its discontinued everywhere. So back to square one, no entry level wheels on the market for either system.

It's like Logitech hates money. Clearly this will not sell well as there are BETTER options for LESS money.

NuKERxyz

I would never consider buying a new wheel while my G27 is in perfect condition and if it does break down, I would never consider logitech again if they don't work out support for this device on current consoles.

Bought one 2 months ago but even though im happy with it on PC i will never buy anything from them.

Mascot

So in a thread on the Pcars forum titled "NO Logitech G27 - Blame Slightly Mad Studios?" filled with people lamenting the lack of G27 support, Ian Bell strolls in and drops this line:

... and the 'good news' turns out to be your G27 is still fucked but you can buy another G27 without shifter (aka G29) for $400USD in July?

Yeah, that was some questionable commenting for sure, and wasn't the only example. There are quite a few people over there feeling like they've been strung along with misleading 'insider info'. Can't say I blame them.

Kind of like when they started bragging about DX 12 in the Xbox one section, to only come back later and say "oh I was talking about PC".

TheYanger

It is total bullshit. Thank god we have the PC and that MS hasn't figured out a way to lock that down.

And lets not forget that these console racers are all tuned for controllers because that is how 99.9% of players will be playing them. It wouldn't surprise me if wheels were actually a hindrance in competition as with Driveclub.

Yes, because microsoft is too stupid to figure out how to lock down their operating system if they wanted to, and Sony is jesus.

Dense as fuck.

hesido

Yo logitech. Whatever gain per G29 sold, divide it by half and let us pay for a dongle / DLC driver.. Just say that they are covering the royalty fees with the license tech and the platform whether it is true or not. What you are currently doing is irresponsible to your customers, AND the environment. There should be no need to buy new products that does exactly the same (not even slightly better) just so you can sell more stuff. Let us pay for your greed but keep our wheels.

Kind of like when they started bragging about DX 12 in the Xbox one section, to only come back later and say "oh I was talking about PC".
Yeah, almost akin to false advertising. People may have even bought it prematurely because of that (well it's their problem not waiting for concrete news, but it's a bit unethical to let people hanging there)

Like a gaffer I read in this thread or some other, I won't be buying any sim oriented games this gen, because I'm already "poisoned" by FFB wheel in a racing game, just can't go back. But I don't have the money, just my wheel collecting dust there, it's not as if I can sell it and buy new; the FFB wheel pricing this gen is ridiculous. As much as the console itself almost.

Yo logitech. Whatever gain per G29 sold, divide it by half and let us pay for a dongle / DLC driver.. Just say that they are covering the royalty fees with the license tech and the platform whether it is true or not. What you are currently doing is irresponsible to your customers, AND the environment. There should be no need to buy new products that does exactly the same (not even slightly better) just so you can sell more stuff. Let us pay for your greed but keep our wheels.

The price of a dongle might be more expensive then you would think. The fact that they are charging so much for a rehashed wheel, makes me think its priced for them to make maximum profit.

Mascot

The price of a dongle might be more expensive then you would think. The fact that they are charging so much for a rehashed wheel, makes me think its priced for them to make maximum profit.

A cursory browse of less informed gaming forums than GAF reveals a lot of excitement and TAKE MY MONEY posts from excited Logitech fans and existing owners of G25/27s, even at the stated RRP.

I think Logitech might just get away with this.

Theonik

Because neither console manufacturer lets to you use a rim that has the "wrong" face buttons.

Look into the Fanatec CSW v2 for their solution to this dumb restriction.
It really is a shame how Sony changed policies since last gen. The only thing that was blocking cross compatible wheels last gen was Microsoft's greed. Sony actually let unlicensed wheels work with their system easily. PS4 really was a step back.

A cursory browse of less informed gaming forums than GAF reveals a lot of excitement and TAKE MY MONEY posts from excited Logitech fans and existing owners of G25/27s, even at the stated RRP.

I just find it crazy that they are selling a wheel for more than the console itself, which wouldn't be so bad, but it just seems like an update of an old wheel anyway. I'm hoping that after the launch of this they will then come forward with the drivers for the DFGT.G25/G27 etc.

hesido

But the dongle has the potential to be sold in much larger quantities, I think that's a positive for logitech.

The number of people with existing wheels that would be willing to pay 30-50 dollars to keep their wheel instead of shelling out a whopping 300dollars all the while when owning a perfectly working wheel could be several times more than the number of people in the same category that would agree to buying a 300 usd product.

Edit:

Oh, well then. I'm probably wrong, customers that already have a logitech wheel and are OK with the new wheel and the pricing is bordering on stupid. But we should be accustomed to this, the phone user crowd that "upgrade" their phone with a slightly better phone every year is already conditioned to accept such practices.

Top Bottom