• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen Review Thread

Karak

Would this be a good game to get into the DS genre without the dificulty?

Yes. It has the trappings but enough differences(including difficulty) to maybe get you invested. Though it is also not as good when it comes to overall design for combat and world design than those games. So its a give and take.

StuBurns

Banned
Would this be a good game to get into the DS genre without the dificulty?
The difficulty of the Souls games is colossally overstated. I'd say try Dark Souls. It can be a rude awakening, but once you get into the mindset of being cautious and treating every enemy like an actual threat, it's not hard at all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The difficulty of the Souls games is colossally overstated. I'd say try Dark Souls. It can be a rude awakening, but once you get into the mindset of being cautious and treating every enemy like an actual threat, it's not hard at all.

...yes it is. You say that because youre A) used to it or B) you play games on hard usually or something. For someone more casual, like someone that plays all games on normal for example, Dark Souls 1 and 2 is ridiculously hard at first, especially bosses with more than 1 enemy

StewboaT_

the IGN review is really bad, he kept on comparing it to dark souls like its the successor or related to that franchise.
While I agree with the comparison, he shouldn't have made it the staple of his review. Can always count on Daemon Hatfield to do something cringe worthy :)

StuBurns

Banned
...yes it is. You say that because youre A) used to it or B) you play games on hard usually or something. For someone more casual, like someone that plays all games on normal for example, Dark Souls 1 and 2 is ridiculously hard at first, especially bosses with more than 1 enemy
Firstly, I doubt anyone on GAF is a 'casual gamer', secondly, no, I almost never play on anything other than normal difficulty, and finally, I'm not sure what 'used to it' means. If you're imagining I've played it over and over, and have just forgotten how hard it was, you're mistaken. I've finished Demons Souls and Dark Souls once each.

They're just not that hard. Yes, there are some challenging bosses (and yes, the ones with multiple enemies are harder for me too, Maneater especially), but there are in lots of games. I would say the amount of bosses I beat first try is inline with any normal game.

I think as well as the series has taken off, this belief that they're extremely hard is actually just damaging to the games, when in reality I have little doubt any competent player could finish them if they cared to do so.

Listonosh

GameZone review - 7/10

Throughout the game you’re going to know where you should be going but getting there isn’t always as simple; after the second boss the difficulty ramps up. Yet while Lords can be difficult, it’s not as punishing as say Dark Souls. Boss fights are near the save points, the area where you died heals you, there is a potion to restore your death EXP without having to pick it back up, banking EXP also takes the pressure off of dying, and there is nothing stopping you from grinding. If you’re looking for something to fill that exact void in your heart of Dark Souls (not Dark Souls II), this game is probably not it. If you’re looking for a challenging, new action RPG, that borrows concepts from other successful fantasy studios while producing something new – it's certainly worthwhile to give it a look. Take the training wheels off Harkyn, die a bunch of times to horrific monsters, and embark on a familiar yet new adventure.

BouncyFrag

Nice scores but I need a break from third person melee games as I've been playing Mordor a lot and I dont want to get burnt out on my favorite genre. Its great seeing quality new IPs being released. Lots of good games out there and the big guns, so to speak, aren't even out yet (Halo MCC, Dragon Age, AC, etc).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Firstly, I doubt anyone on GAF is a 'casual gamer', secondly, no, I almost never play on anything other than normal difficulty, and finally, I'm not sure what 'used to it' means. If you're imagining I've played it over and over, and have just forgotten how hard it was, you're mistaken. I've finished Demons Souls and Dark Souls once each.

They're just not that hard. Yes, there are some challenging bosses (and yes, the ones with multiple enemies are harder for me too, Maneater especially), but there are in lots of games. I would say the amount of bosses I beat first try is inline with any normal game.

I think as well as the series has taken off, this belief that they're extremely hard is actually just damaging to the games, when in reality I have little doubt any competent player could finish them if they cared to do so.

oh I completely agree with you, I just think that telling someone "ah its not that hard" is completely misleading. O&S almost broke me like no other boss in any game had sicne I was a child. I was angry, it made me actually dislike the game. I eventually got over it, Dark Souls is my favorite game of last generation, but the game was stupid hard at times. Hell, once I found out about summons I never looked back, I summoned for almost every boss in DS2, I just didnt give a fuck.

There seems to be this aura around Dark Souls that everyone plays it BECAUSE its hard, but trust me, some of us play them IN SPITE of it

jfoul

I had a feeling this would review well after seeing some impressions. I'll pick this up when it drops a little bit in price on PC. Hopefully it sells decently well to green light another installment. The game seems to be a bit rough around the edges and needs some polish.

Sanctuary

This is actually pretty much what I expected.

Highest scores coming from Polish sites thus far =D

Gotta keep rootin for the home team I guess.

Which is why I said when that review first hit how worthless it was.

oh I completely agree with you, I just think that telling someone "ah its not that hard" is completely misleading. O&S almost broke me like no other boss in any game had sicne I was a child. I was angry, it made me actually dislike the game. I eventually got over it, Dark Souls is my favorite game of last generation, but the game was stupid hard at times. Hell, once I found out about summons I never looked back, I summoned for almost every boss in DS2, I just didnt give a fuck.

There seems to be this aura around Dark Souls that everyone plays it BECAUSE its hard, but trust me, some of us play them IN SPITE of it

But it really isn't misleading and outside of a select few situations isn't that hard. Unless you just started gaming last gen, and those kinds of games were all you knew, it most certainly wasn't "hard" as long as you played methodically. And maybe I just got lucky, but I beat O&S on my second attempt. Not saying that to brag either, it's just how it is. I guess I should clarify though that I played the hell out of Demon's prior, so YMMV.

The hardest boss in Dark Souls for me was Capra. Mostly because the room was so small and you don't really have much time to learn his attack patterns before getting creamed by the dogs. I also had not been using a shield up to that point, and decided to go after a decent stability shield and he was cake after that.

Dahbomb

The bosses are not what make the Souls games hard, it's the systems in place. Mechanically the bosses are not harder than what you see in let's say a NG game (I would say they are much easier). The problem is when you die you become weaker and in the case of DS2 you accrue more negative penalties for dying. And it's not just that but the checkpoint system is extremely limited meaning every time you die you have to take a trek to get to the boss fight.

The regular enemies also stunlock you pretty easily while doing considerable damage and more than two enemies in the game are legitimately hard (which happens a lot in DS2). Now add the fact that there's no way point system, no map, no exact information on where to go and traps litered across the area it creates for harrowing first time experience. Now add on top the obtuse stat system, weight systen, upgrade system and many newcomers will end up putting stats in wrong categories or equipping wrong armor screwing them further.

And then the combat itself. Nothing is cancelable and moves get buffered to the next so making just one extra input could get you killed. The roll is laggy compared to standard action games meaning you have to be on point with it. All actions including blocking is tied to stamina bar so every action requires thought. All these things combine to make a tough experience for newcomers.

Nothing in a Souls game requires fast twitch play or amazing reflexes. Its a knowledge based game with some patience. If you know where to go, what the enemy is capable of, what you are capable of, what stats do what where to find good items... the game becomes easy. But first time players don't know this and they will get hard bodied.

Souls games are much easier than old school games in SNES/Genesis era but in this era they are overall hard games compared to what's out there. And this is coming from someone who starts most games on at least Hard mode and up plus beats games on their hardest difficulties. Souls games are definitely hard when you first play them although once you beat one its easier to beat the rest because you learn the fundamentals.

SRTtoZ

The bosses are not what make the Souls games hard, it's the systems in place. Mechanically the bosses are not harder than what you see in let's say a NG game (I would say they are much easier). The problem is when you die you become weaker and in the case of DS2 you accrue more negative penalties for dying. And it's not just that but the checkpoint system is extremely limited meaning every time you die you have to take a trek to get to the boss fight.

The regular enemies also stunlock you pretty easily while doing considerable damage and more than two enemies in the game are legitimately hard (which happens a lot in DS2). Now add the fact that there's no way point system, no map, no exact information on where to go and traps litered across the area it creates for harrowing first time experience. Now add on top the obtuse stat system, weight systen, upgrade system and many newcomers will end up putting stats in wrong categories or equipping wrong armor screwing them further.

And then the combat itself. Nothing is cancelable and moves get buffered to the next so making just one extra input could get you killed. The roll is laggy compared to standard action games meaning you have to be on point with it. All actions including blocking is tied to stamina bar so every action requires thought. All these things combine to make a tough experience for newcomers.

Nothing in a Souls game requires fast twitch play or amazing reflexes. Its a knowledge based game with some patience. If you know where to go, what the enemy is capable of, what you are capable of, what stats do what where to find good items... the game becomes easy. But first time players don't know this and they will get hard bodied.

Souls games are much easier than old school games in SNES/Genesis era but in this era they are overall hard games compared to what's out there. And this is coming from someone who starts most games on at least Hard mode and up plus beats games on their hardest difficulties. Souls games are definitely hard when you first play them although once you beat one its easier to beat the rest because you learn the fundamentals.

Nailed it.

dcassell

Banned
I want to support this so badly, but just cannot until after Bayo 2 and Smash. Wallet doesn't have the gall to take on all 3. Will be playing this over Christmas season.

Thanks for the rundown of Dark Souls, but this is a LOTF review thread.

I like that there is a game competing with the Dark Souls style of gameplay, hoping that it pushes for innovation for both series. I will eventually play this on a discount probably during my next gaming drought. Good work on the art design developers.

Sanctuary

Yeah, I didn't care much for their review at all, personally. Also, why exactly is "Can't adjust difficulty" considered a con?

The God of War games wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable if you were forced to play at the default difficulty. If a game is really easy as the default, then it is a big turn off for some.

Rhaknar

The God of War games wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable if you were forced to play at the default difficulty. If a game is really easy as the default, then it is a big turn off for some.

thank you for saying "for some" sanc :)

Dahbomb

Thanks for the rundown of Dark Souls, but this is a LOTF review thread.
I was just clearing the air on how Souls are actually hard game for newcomers.

From what I can tell LOTF is supposed to be easier than Souls overall but it still won't necessarily make it an easy game.

Vidpixel

I understand, but the design philosophy behind Lords of the Fallen seemed to indicate that the developers were aiming towards a particular experience that warranted a level of challenge not seen in something like a God of War game. I completely understand their critique on the balancing issues, but this con just struck me as odd. Then again, I haven't played the game yet, so maybe it will make more sense once I get my hands on the game.

Top Bottom