• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen Review Thread

Karak

Strange there are no ps4 reviews. Makes me wonder if that version has some issues.

Edited for accuracy.

They offered me all 3 versions if I wanted them(because I do many reviews testing on all machines) and didn't seem to have an issue with it. But ya it does seem odd.

lord pie

Happy to see it is a quality game.
It's been a great couple of months for new IPs, and it has been nice to see them all doing well critically. :)

Good to see the reviews being good. I got the game yesterday with Sunset Overdrive. Now the real question is when to have the time to sink in this game. I hate October/November when it comes to video games, publishers just jam everything there instead of spreading it out during the summer.

Bricky

They offered me all 3 versions if I wanted them(because I do many reviews testing on all machines) and didn't seem to have an issue with it. But ya it does seem odd.

In a recent Giantbombcast they discussed that they usually want to review the Xbox One version but only get the PS4 release. Maybe most reviewers opted for the One version since they don't have the chance to review that version very often?

If the choice is there it'd be odd otherwise.

Lernaean

Banned
Wasn't expecting it to review that good.
I'll wait for user impressions and might pick it up. This one went from 'not interested' to 'on the radar'.

R1CHO

Maybe we should make a performance thread for the game:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Lords_Of_The_Fallen-test-LordsOfTheFallen_1920.jpg

Much more here:

http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/lords-of-the-fallen-test-gpu.html

Some interesting bits, game will use 16 cpu threads if avalible, and seem to take advantage of all the vram on the gpu even at 1080p

Kezen

Banned

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Lords_Of_The_Fallen-test-LordsOfTheFallen_1920.jpg

Much more here:
Reasonably taxing game, looks really good too. From the look of it the game justifies its hardware demands.

Some interesting bits, game will use 16 cpu threads if avalible, and seem to take advantage of all the vram on the gpu even at 1080p
Engine caching, as it should be.

With regards to reviews I was expecting lower than this, the general consensus seems to be that while the game isn't very original or ground-breaking it offers a good experience within an already established formula.

The Dark Souls comparison is unwarranted. It still looks like a fun action RPG in its own right.

Still, the comparison is unavoidable, I guess.

Its a good game for those who can't stand Dark Souls' difficulty.

Bamco published it so maybe that was their intention and target market for this game: for the crowd who wanted a easier Dark Souls!

I think it looks fun.

eot

Banned
This seems like how Dark Souls 2 would've reviewed if it didn't have the name attached, so it's probably an alright game.

Fitts

The Dark Souls comparison is unwarranted. It still looks like a fun action RPG in its own right.

Still, the comparison is unavoidable, I guess.

Its a good game for those who can't stand Dark Souls' difficulty.

Bamco published it so maybe that was their intention and target market for this game: for the crowd who wanted a easier Dark Souls!

I think it looks fun.

This is the type of assessment that I popped in here for.

So it's not a challenging game, then? The demo footage I seen didn't look it, but then again it wasn't a final build.

EDIT: Does it present any Souls-y ambiguity? I really enjoy the overt sense of discovery in those games as well.

I'm wondering if I should play this as an introduction into the souls gameplay style. I've always wanted to get into those games but always been worried about the difficulty even though I enjoy a challenge.

Kezen

Banned
PC Gamer have it a 58. They said the game was good but a technical mess.
http://www.pcgamer.com/lords-of-the-fallen-review/

Lords of the Fallen is a decent action RPG. LordsOfTheFallen.exe, on the other hand, has stopped working. Lords of the Fallen has interesting, fun combat, and when that giant multi-stage boss only needs one more hit to kill, LordsOfTheFallen.exe has stopped working. LordsOfTheFallen.exe is a vile, cruel bastard, worse than any boss in Lords of the Fallen.

Ouch. That's what one can call a cold shower.
I'm planning on picking the game up so I hope those issues will be ironed out. The latest WQHL drivers are supposedly optimized for the game.

Maffis

PC Gamer have it a 58. They said the game was good but a technical mess.
http://www.pcgamer.com/lords-of-the-fallen-review/

As someone else mentioned, unfortunate with the crashes, but this dude apparently played on shitty specs on "recommended" and then complains about poor performance and crashes. He hasn't got the day 1 patch either, so reviewing it like this seems unfair, especially considering he gave BF4 a good score even though BF4 is notorious for being a "crash fest". That's not biased at all.

Kezen

Banned
As someone else mentioned, unfortunate with the crashes, but this dude apparently played on shitty specs on "recommended" and then complains about poor performance and crashes. He hasn't got the day 1 patch either, so reviewing it like this seems unfair, especially considering he gave BF4 a good score even though BF4 is notorious for being a "crash fest". That's not biased at all.

Do we know what the "day one" patch will include ?

Not sure what you mean. Plenty of non Polish sites giving it 8s as well. Its well in line with the general consensus. Dont read Polish so cant say if the text justifies the score.

Its not like they handed it a 10/10 GOTY!!!!

Haunted

Much more here:

Sad day when my GPU doesn't even appear on the benchmark list anymore (560ti). ;_;7

I think it'll be fairly similar to the 750ti.

is it just me or does this seem a little biased?
Developer is German, publisher is Polish.

So... maybe? Domestic bonuses are nothing new, but those don't seem too out of line with the rest of the consensus.

Nome

Some of these reviews seem to be knocking it because it's not as hard as Dark Souls. Pretty stupid reason to dock points.

Some of these reviews seem to be knocking it because it's not as hard as Dark Souls. Pretty stupid reason to dock points.
true. a lot of these reviews are comparing the game to Souls in the same way Driveclub was compared to Forza Horizon 2 for not being open world.

pretty whacky-

Maffis

Agreed. The game is supposed to be easier. It's still alot more challenging than normal games. The comparisons are stupid, but I guess unavoidable.

7-8 is about what I expected from the streams I had been seeing ( but little good that does, was thinking the same for SO for awhile lol ). It will be a game some people love due to the challenge but the bugs here and there and some of the unpolished feel will turn some folks off.

I'm going to def. give it a shot for myself as soon as possible.

I got my gamefly account back up again so we shall see what they send out. So many LOW availability PS4 games its nuts. Basically anything new or popular.

Score one for games without guns. I hope they take some design advice from the reviews and comeback even stronger with a more polished experience in round two. I'm rooting for these guys.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So between this and SO it's now two days in a row of better scores than I expected. This is a very pleasant surprise! I might grab this over Dragon Age, since it's more my cup of tea.

Nordicus

Sad day when my GPU doesn't even appear on the benchmark list anymore (560ti). ;_;7

I think it'll be fairly similar to the 750ti.
It is incredibly similar, at worst your performance is 10% worse, if even that. So at Very High settings your average fps will be a bit above 30, if you have the CPU listed.

Haunted

It is incredibly similar, at worst your performance is 10% worse, if even that. So at Very High settings your average fps will be a bit above 30.
Well, if I had 32GB RAM and an i7 5960x, I suppose. :D

I think I'll be fine, though.

So why isn't this thread 200 pages considering it has the same score as of this post as Destiny?
Because of a 300 million dollars marketing difference. Because the publisher of Destiny is one of the biggest videogame companies in the world, and the publisher of Lords of the Fallen is a tiny B-tier pubby from Eastern Europe. Because the last game by the developer of Destiny was motherfucking Halo, and the last game by the developer of Lords of the Fallen was Moorhuhn: Tiger & Chicken.

But you know all this already and just wanted to be cute. :p

I'm actually interested in this because it sounds like a forgiving Dark Souls. I only ever played Demon's Souls and I have to say, I really loved the aesthetics/art style and the gameplay but I hate grinding and replaying large chunks over and over again. This looks like it fits the bill. I have to admit though that LoF artstyle is not as good as DS ones. But it's still good.

Shredderi

Reviews are pretty much what I expected. Seems decent and I was supposed to buy this at launch but my rig is starting to show it's age so I may lean on buying this in January along with a new rig.

Games like Demon Souls are hard for a reason. There is an inherent risk/reward system that is tailored to that kind of experience. The reward tends to justify the constant risks but judging from a few reviews, that aspect is practically eliminated in LOTF - as if it's nothing more than a shoehorned feature to capitalize on DS signature system and turned it into a gimmick.

It's not the fact that it's easier that's the cause of the lower score, when you to break the balance of said system only to end up with your traditional progressive character, it makes you wonder why it was implemented in the first place.

Top Bottom