• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost in life? Here are some people who didn't become successful until they were old

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a 30 year old fledgling musician, this list depresses me more than anything because now I know that I am technically and officially old :(.

Lemmy didn't start Motorhead until he was 6 months from 30 and didn't get his big hits until years after that.

But if people whine and cry about it then nothing will get done. Work for your success. In my opinion it is only until you're out of your 20s do you realise things aren't going to simply be handed to you.

sarcastor

But if people whine and cry about it then nothing will get done. Work for your success. In my opinion it is only until you're out of your 20s do you realise things aren't going to simply be handed to you.

i think the better lesson here is to not give up and keep trying, regardless of your age. I mean, look at our president. He made a fortune with a $1 million loan from his dad and became the bestest president at like 125 years of age or something.

lrFYrk6.png

24-25
at latest

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Harland "Colonel" Sanders was in his 60s when he started Kentucky Fried Chicken. Now that's old.

He had a couple minor successes (that turned into complete failures) before that, but yeah I was about to post that.

besada

Banned
Laura Ingalls Wilder became a journalist in her forties, and didn't start writing Little House on the Prairie until she was 65.

Julia Child was 49 when she published her first cookbook.

Roget finished his Thesaurus when he was 73 (to be fair, he had a career as a doctor prior to that).

Harlan David Sanders was in his sixties when he started Kentucky Fried Chicken

Frank McCourt (writer of Angela's Ashes) didn't start writing until 65.

Daniel Defoe wrote his first novel, Robinson Crusoe, at 60.

Glossing over owning a bar at 25 as not being successful 🤔🤔

Mark Cuban has always seemed like a hell of a business man to me. He doesn't really belong on this list.
One thing I find just as interesting as failures is people who get into fields traditionally thought of as "for young people" when they are older. Look at the late actor, philanthropist, and racing driver Paul Newman. Dude was like 43/44 when he went to racing school for a role in "Winning." He then decided he wanted to actually become a racing car driver. Not only was he the oldest person to be part of a winning team in a major sanctioned race, he raced into his final years.
Wikipedia said:
Having said he would quit "when I embarrass myself", Newman competed into his 80s, winning at Lime Rock in what former co-driver Sam Posey called a "brutish Corvette" displaying his age as its number: 81. He took the pole in his last professional race, in 2007 at Watkins Glen International, and in a 2008 run at Lime Rock, arranged by friends, he reportedly still did 9/10ths of his best time.

Erasus

haha you think they worked those jobs 9-5, went home, had some beers/tv shows/games and then suddenly success happened?
Nah, they probably did those jobs aswell as working on their dream or whatever
Like the finance guru, think she just did waitress work until 29 then suddenly at 30 she knew about finance? lmao

Bladenic

If true, some of these are inspiring (like J.K. Rowling). But Mark Cuban owned a bar at 25. And Harrison Ford was a carpenter, there's no need to shit on a profession to prove some point since he's a millionaire now.

GHG

Gold Member
haha you think they worked those jobs 9-5, went home, had some beers/tv shows/games and then suddenly success happened?
Like the finance guru, think she just did waitress work until 29 then suddenly at 30 she knew about finance? lmao

Nobody is suggesting that at all... years of work goes into making change happen.

The message here is that it's never too late to try, no matter your current circumstances.

Galang

Banned
This made me feel better about my position! Thanks for posting it OP :)

Nobody is suggesting that at all... years of work goes into making change happen.

The message here is that it's never too late to try, no matter your current circumstances.

Yes this is what I took away from it

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Do you enjoy life? Congratulations, you are successful. You don't have to become a famous author or actor to be that. Becoming "successful" for the sake of becoming a Sucessful Person Who Is Beloved By All is a terrible goal if you're not enjoying the process. Don't start a business if you don't care about the product/service. Don't write for the sake of becoming a new J.R.R. Tolkien.

I know this feels like motivational bullshit, because in reality we are constantly met with story that we all should strive for the Big Success. I feel it all the time, and it is a constant struggle avoiding that nagging voice in my head.

I like that youngest "old" is 25, I've already had my inner battles with this bs notion of financial success being indicative of you who are and all that jazz, but that did made me scoff.

Do you enjoy life? Congratulations, you are successful. You don't have to become a famous author or actor to be that. Becoming "successful" for the sake of becoming a Sucessful Person Who Is Beloved By All is a terrible goal if you're not enjoying the process. Don't start a business if you don't care about the product/service. Don't write for the sake of becoming a new J.R.R. Tolkien.

I know this feels like motivational bullshit, because in reality we are constantly met with story that we all should strive for the Big Success. I feel it all the time, and it is a constant struggle avoiding that nagging voice in my head.

You're absolutetly right with that. That picture in the op is poorly constructed, should have used everyday (unknown) people with a normal life and not celebrity rich folks.

Erasus

"Lost in life" implies that to me, that they dont have anything to "try" to do

Razorback

The only useful information would be a statistical analysis with a bell curve of the average age "successful" people became successful.

Also, what is the ratio of these "wandering people" that made it big compared to those that didn't? I'm sure that'll be a very inspiring number.

breakfuss

Don't think anyone said or implied that but oooook

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If I was a drug dealer and went legit I'd later tell people I used to be a rug dealer, purposely mispronouncing it to sound like "drug", then after the person misheard Id be like "hahaha no a RUG dealer, like the kind that go on your floor!". I would do this constantly with new clients, purposely disarming them slightly, in order to then imperceptibly assert a sense of control over the interaction, so that future interactions would be more malleable in my favor. I would use the street skills I learned to make my way to the top of the business ladder. Subtle and ruthless.

Honey catches the most flies.

Never back down. Never surrender.

br3wnor

I love that Andrea Bocelli is on this. "See! He was 33 until he got his shit together....he also has the singing voice of a god"

"Old"?

But yeah, just because you hit 30 without having any idea what you want to do with your life that doesn't mean you're doomed forever. I worked in a bank call center until I was 34, now I'm in school for electrical engineering. A few years ago I never thought I would have turned my life around like this.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't stop believing. Hold on to the feeling.
The bolded alongside your avatar gives me a slight chuckle.

Sarek

This thread will make me feel good about myself... "looks at the picture" Oh only the two oldest are older than me...

It's so fucking funny how japanese media portrays anyone over the age of 25 as being in their 40-50s

You know, I was going to shake my fist at this too, but I'm 35, have silver streaks under the top layers, feel grizzled as hell some days, and he doesn't seem to have any crow's feet. Auron is...accurate. *_*

I'm 31, guess I'm fucked...

On the other hand, I'll take happiness over success any day of the week...

It's an interesting and intelligent way to frame it. Unless, you need success to be happy.

I dunno, you are your job, plus your looks and personality, to put it very very simplistically. Your job, to most people, is heavily tied into who you are. Or your achievements.

I dunno, I am always torn between wanting to let my mind relax and wanting to work. Reading biographies, success basically comes to those who are persistent which goes along with work ethic.

If you are a persistent person you are most likely going to be this from around a certain age. Whether you have focus or not, I think it helps to be focused usually, but some people also seem to benefit from the ability to dip their toes into something until they find something.

I am thinking a lot about success versus happiness, and one of my best friends quit his lawyer job to become a electrician and he is working on minimum wage and living in his GF's parents house, leaving their flat in Camden. Living in Brexit Britain sure isn't helping matters. I think he couldn't mentally handle the pressure after a while.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I always find it annoying that we focus on the miniscule proportion of successes and not the massive number of failures, on all the people that tried their hardest and still got nowhere.

This is why I hate motivational people, they're selectively ignorant of failures. If you fail, in their eyes you don't exist.

The fact that these people will eventually die is what I have to keep in mind to cheer up.

Starting something at 30 is not starting something as an "old person." That kind of mindset prevents so many people from doing things they otherwise think requires the free time and unique healing powers of the very young.

T-Model Ford was 58 before he even picked up a guitar, so all you 31-year-olds having an existential crisis can relax a little. Just keep doing the thing or just do the thing you think it is you should be doing. You'll be fine.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I find that these threads and articles about success, dieting and saving money never accomplish their intended goals; instead they often seem to make people feel worse about themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom