• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag | This one is actually really, really fun

ASSASSINSCREED4FEAT.jpg

After the disaster that was Assassin's Creed 3, I was pretty hesitant to buy another AC title. Everyone kept saying Black Flag was great though, and since the price is low nowadays I really wanted to give it a try. And I have to agree; it's really good indeed. I had a great time with it. No one on the internet likes walls of texts, so I broke my thoughts down into a few bullets.

What I liked
  • Exploring the vast world was incredible!
  • The sound effects and the music is fantastic. The music feels partly inspired by Pirates of the Caribbean, and while it's not quite on that level, it has a really, really nice theme going. The sea shantys are just absolutely amazing. One of the best additions in the game for certain.
  • Simply sailing around and attacking ships was great fun.
  • The random events that happen at sea. I remember at one point really early in the game when I was just starting out, I spotted two small fleets, one Spanish and one English, getting in battle with one another a distance away from me. It felt incredible. The distant sound effects were well done, and the feeling of how they're battling independently of me is really cool. I could come over there and join in, or just sail by. And these kind of events happen a lot, and in all kinds of weather. Another cool moment was when several powerful fleets engaged with one of my forts in the middle of a storm. I just stood there watching it in awe.
  • While the storyline is nonsense, a lot of the story missions were fun and varied, even if there were a bit too many stalking objectives. There's a mission early on -- I believe it's sequence two, memory six -- where you and your soon-to-be quartermaster break free from imprisonment on a ship, which stood out to me as the first amazing mission. You're on a fleet of ships, and you jump from ship to ship, freeing captive pirates. It felt really cool.
  • Apart from up-close facials, the game is beautiful.
  • The gameplay over-all was really fun. Great variety and diversion; many activities to do. I enjoyed the mini-games too.

What I didn't like
  • The story is complete nonsense. The writing is occasionally mind-blowingly bad, the characters are stereotypic and the twists are predictable from a mile away. The main character is silly beyond belief as well. It didn't even make sense for the longest time why he would run around with the assassins outfit. The modern day part was some of the dumbest stuff I've ever seen in a video game. At times it really felt like there was no communication between the story-writing teams and the gameplay teams. Literally everything was nonsense. However I could never tell if the game was being serious or sarcastic. It sometimes feels as though they're making fun of the whole pirate thing and that they keep joking about themselves, but then it's all serious. The death of
    Blackbeard
    was dreadful. The game was trying to be serious and sad but it came off as a joke. I still kind of enjoyed some characters though, in particular Kidd.
  • Sound and musical glitches! So annoying. The music is great, and gets you pumped, but it will occasionally just cut off, especially when you go to board a ship, but in many other scenarios as well. Sometimes sound effects will just randomly disappear too.
  • Boarding ships got a bit repetitive after a while. After the first half of the game, I usually just sank ships instead; only boarding them when I needed health. I don't know, it feels like boarding could've been made fresher.
  • Too few large fleets! I'd wish there would have been more large fleets for you to attack and interact with.
  • I liked how they used the "poo-kah" sound effects from Splinter Cell for the menus, but really, the menus were clunky. Creating arrows/darts, for instance, was needlessly tedious. The interface was also annoying in that it kept telling me things I knew, such as "press [circle] to whistle" or "pick up loot while at sea to upgrade your ship", even though I had been playing the game for 30 hours and learned this in just the first hour.

I'm sure I've forgotten some things, but this is what I liked and disliked from the top of my head. Again; I really enjoyed it over-all. It's become one of my favourite AC titles so far (I've yet to play Rogue and Unity), however it's hard to compare since it's so different. In definitely excited to try out the later AC titles as well.

It's by far my favorite in the franchise. It's held back a bit by the usual Assassin's Creed nonsense, but it still manages to be an all around great game. Those fucking eels though.

And yeah, the ending scene is pretty damn good.

edit: I didn't really mind the modern day stuff in the game. Liked it a bit better than the semi-adventures of Desmond. But I still feel the game would have benefited from their exclusion.

Mogwai

The scenery in Black Flag is amazing. I've tried to complete it on PC but it runs so bad that I can't play more than 30 mins at a time. Im hoping that it'll be on PS+ for the PS4 sometime.

SomTervo

This is tied with Unity as my favourite AC game.

Although, to be more blunt, Unity is my favourite AC game, and Black Flag is just a really great pirate simulator which is generally better than anything in the rest of the AC series.

robb_w7

Banned
AC4 Black Flag is probably my favourite AC game for many of the reasons you state, and since Unity, it still is my favourite AC game.

Dont think AC:Victoria will be any different from Unity tbh, same bland story, same gameplay, just a different city, and im sure a hell of a lot of glitches

QaaQer

It is streamlined, committee made, industrial videogame fun based on the ubiworld formula with zero ambition beyond that.

I kinda want more out games, but yeah ymmv there.

stn

I got it for free recently as part of GWG on Xbox. I've only played a part of the first AC, can I play this one without feeling too lost?

Pejo

This was one of my favorite games in the past few years. I came pretty close to Platinum on PS4 (i am not a trophy chaser, just happened to be that way). I am going to be upgrading my graphics card soon, then hopefully picking up the PC version during summer sales, to do a second playthrough. I still need to try Rogue as well.

SJRB

Gold Member
Great pirate game, TERRIBLE Assassin's Creed game.

This game just doesn't give a fuck.

I got it for free recently as part of GWG on Xbox. I've only played a part of the first AC, can I play this one without feeling too lost?

Aside from some mass confusion at shit that would probably still be confusing even if you had played the previous games, you'll be fine. The story itself is pretty much self-contained, and the stuff that relates to the overarching Assassin's Creed storyline is nonsense anyway.

Kazerei

Banned

Yes, definitely. Both the past and the present storylines are fresh starts.

ACIV is chronologically the first in the Americas trilogy (III, IV, Rogue).

ACIV also rebooted the present-day stuff, it still doesn't make a lot of sense, but whatever.

hydruxo

I loved Black Flag, it beats out AC2 for my favorite AC game.

The scene at the end where
Anne Bonny sings Parting Glass and Edward sees all his dead friends at the table is fantastic.
Probably one of my favorite scenes in any game, much less AC.

Black Flag left me with hopes that AC was going places, but then Unity squandered that. Interested in seeing what they do with Victory.

QaaQer

Yea

Shes a DLC character, exclusive to Xbone, only available on the Season Pass if you get it from Walmart before the next full moon when the clock strikes 12

lol

I wish AC games were modable as I'd actually pay $70cnd just to run around london as her, killing people with cucumber sandwiches and corsets for a few hours. I'm really bored of the manly stubble hood guys with retractable wrist blades.

Layell

I also recently beat the game as well, and do agree it had a certain sad ending with how Edward mentions to the girl there isn't a chance they will see many pirates. Also considering what we know happens to Haytham it does make the ending a bit further tragic, which I suppose is the nature of the series.

Also this game has way to many things to collect or do, you really have to focus on certain things only. Shanties, crafting, and some treasure maps I went out of the way for, along with any assassin missions. But getting every animus fragment, sticky note, bottle, treasure chest, piece of art, smuggler cave, and what have you was just silly. At least I could figure out what was worth doing, I might go through and try some other things now but I'd rather be playing another game over getting random chest #34.

That said I enjoyed the boating, and it clicked much more here than in 3. A lot of the bad missions that were in 3 aren't here and it all feels much more focused. Although a big screw you to Ubi for hamming in 30 FPS on PC, luckily I found out getting out of the window then back in got me 60 FPS, which made everything so much better.

Sijil

Best Assassin's Creed I ever played, ironically it was in spite of the whole Assassin's Creed business, they really should make a pirate setting spin off without assassin's vs templar.

There's a game called Naval Action that might be just what I'm looking for, but too early to tell.

I fucking adore Black Flag. Wish I could recapture that experience again, it was my first AC game.

Played Unity after it and was really disappointed.

Weigh-hay and up she rises
Early in the morning!

What will we do with a drunken sailor,
Early in the morning?

Put 'em in the scuppers with a hose pipe on him,
Early in the morning!

Put him in the brig until he's sober,
Early in the morning!

This is the only AC game I actually liked, had way more fun with the side missions tho.

Something like this: https://youtu.be/uWqcpTUqdx8?t=11s

Early in the morning!

Early in the morning?

Early in the morning!

Early in the morning!

The shanties were fucking awesome. Most of the new ones they added for Rogue weren't as good as what was in Black Flag.

daviyoung

Banned
Still way too much Assassins Creed bollocks like oldie world templar magic and conspiracy hokum and newie world cool kids but the fresh setting made me forgot that most of the time.

PeteMc

Neo Member
Great pirate game, TERRIBLE Assassin's Creed game.

This game just doesn't give a fuck.

Would of loved this game even more if it was just called Black Flag and spawned a new franchise. Completely ruined by the typical nonsensical Assassins Creed story IMO.

Susurrus

I actually finished it recently myself. Enjoyed it, ended up easily getting the plat trophy (the online level 55 was the only trophy that sucked). It was a great game.

I am playing Freedom Cry now, and it is fun, as well. Less pirates and more AC, but even the AC part of it is heavily modified. Effectively running around
w/ a machete freeing slaves
, which for some reason seems fun. (Not sure if that was a spoiler, but marked it to be safe)

LordOfChaos

Played a bit of it after getting it free on games with gold. The controls are really sluggish, I was surprised. Framerate seems all over the place.

I find AC controls in general bad too, there's nothing more annoying than running towards/away from something and then having the guy start climbing a poll, or the set of buttons context switch in the middle of combat if you walk a bit away.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Joint 2nd with Brotherhood imo, with AC2 in 1st. If your gonna play Rogue I'd say give it a few months as they are quite similar. Don't bother with Unity.

Yeah, absolutely.

Also this game has way to many things to collect or do, you really have to focus on certain things only. Shanties, crafting, and some treasure maps I went out of the way for, along with any assassin missions. But getting every animus fragment, sticky note, bottle, treasure chest, piece of art, smuggler cave, and what have you was just silly. At least I could figure out what was worth doing, I might go through and try some other things now but I'd rather be playing another game over getting random chest #34.

Definitely. I skipped fragments, most notes and treasure chests. Got all taverns, sea shanties, important treasures, locations and maya stones.

Joint 2nd with Brotherhood imo, with AC2 in 1st. If your gonna play Rogue I'd say give it a few months as they are quite similar. Don't bother with Unity.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll wait before playing Rogue, but I'm definitely playing it. I know Unity had a really rocky launch but it seems like most of the issues were fixed, no? Looks like it's a fun game now.

EBE

i was turned off by the pirates so i didnt download it when it was free for xbox 360. been really enjoying Unity, though.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Black Flag was an excellent game and 9/10 in my opinion. I played through it twice (once on PS3 at launch and once on 360 last September while waiting for Rogue) and completed everything 100% both times.

I played AC III a few months before Black Flag was released and made it up to the hunting part but it was so bland and boring to me. Black Flag was the complete opposite. The only major negative in Black Flag was that there were too many "eavesdropping" missions. My favorite mission was Sequence 3, Memory 7. You start off with some plat-forming up the ruins, then go through a deep forest and when you make it out of the forest, you're near the water and the ship where your target is located.

I have a few minor negatives - first, the ability of being able to purchase animal skins which I didn't like at all because it doesn't force you to hunt and kill animals. Would have preferred it to be like Far Cry 3 where you're forced to hunt, kill and skin the animals instead of being able to purchase them. Second, some audio glitches and third, the controls weren't as good when boarding ships and fighting on them compared to on land.

The ship battles were great and a lot of fun. All the random stuff just adds to it. Story and characters weren't great but they weren't bad either. The visuals were great and the immersion was definitely there. I actually enjoyed the present day stuff even though I hated that it was in a first person perspective but you come to understand why.

I will say that anyone who enjoyed Black Flag in general and more than Unity should definitely play Rogue. While a lot is copied from Black Flag, I see that as a good thing. Best thing is that the story is shorter which makes it better and there's NO eavesdropping missions at all in the entire game which is a huge positive in itself. Instead of the warm Caribbean, you're in a snowy, icy and cold environment which is good too. Rogue was my 2014 game of the year and a 9.5/10 in my opinion. Of course, if you didn't like Black Flag then you most likely won't like or enjoy Rogue. Loved the ending in both Black Flag (even though it was sad) and Rogue (which connects with Unity but they screwed it up in Unity).

Another positive in Rogue was that you can actually play the "fleet" mini-game without needing an online connection which was great as it's actually a lot of fun to play. I know a lot of people think that Rogue will be ported to PS4/Xbox One and I actually wish it does but honestly, I don't see it happening.

Really wish that Ubisoft would make a spin off based on the pirates and naval ship battles. Overall, Rogue > Black Flag > Unity in my opinion and it's not even close.

I played AC II (which everyone puts as the series best) after Black Flag and made it about halfway through and haven't played it since. Honestly, it's way too slow paced and boring for me. I know that it's a great game and Ezio is the series best character but it simply doesn't have the fun factor that Black Flag and Rogue gave me. I realized that when you don't start a franchise from the beginning, don't go back playing the older games because it's simply not going to have the same affect or feel the same.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll wait before playing Rogue, but I'm definitely playing it. I know Unity had a really rocky launch but it seems like most of the issues were fixed, no? Looks like it's a fun game now.

Imo Unity's awful technical problems let it off the hook in a way, as no one ever really talks about what a boring uninspired game it is underneath. AFAIK the console versions are less buggy, but still run with a sub-30 fps framerate, I personally don't consider that 'fixed', it depends on how sensitive you are to framerates. Not sure about the PC version.

chemicals

Ok been playing this lately and once you get past the first few hours it really gets good. Question: Do any of you obsess over killing all of the guards on an island? At first I did it because I thought the people would celebrate or something... even though nothing happens when you sneak around and kill them all, it is something I continue to do. Lol

Elginer

Quite honestly one of my fav games of the past 5 years. I of course love pirates so that helps. Fantastic voice acting and beautiful environments. I wish Ubi would make another pirate game and ditch the AC stuff in it. It stands well without that addition. Still, my fav AC game not withstanding the original (warts and all)

Game is just loaded with charm throughout.

The sea shantys are all amazing and I have a couple on my phone. But other then that and the world itself... Everything else was pretty much unchanged from AC3 and I just kept getting frustrated with the missions. Even so... Its charming enough to be my fav AC game.

Duxxy3

The ship battles, and attacks on forts, killed my interest in the game. I was enjoying the game up to that point though.

edit: didn't mean to quote

carlsojo

I didn't think the story was particularly good, but somehow the ending made it all worthwhile. Everything about the ship was just so extremely fucking cool, from finding upgrade blueprints to actually seeing the huge cannons you just installed. And the legendary ship fights!

Visual-wise the game still blows me away. I love how the ocean looks and behaves.

Fbh

Best Assassins Creed game BY FAR.

It's just a real shame that they didn't make it a new IP.
The worst parts are all tied to the "Assassins Creed" side of the game, like the on ground gameplay and bad story.

It was the type of change in gameplay that this franchise desperately needs. The problem is that it's not a franchise about sailing so all the new elements would be useless for future games (one more reason why it should have been a new IP)

LastNac

I don't know, OP. I loved the way they dealt with Edward and his progression. It's probably the best AC when it comes to core character development.

Also, that
Black Beard death
was fantastic, especially the way the music swelled while you swam back to the ship.

Top Bottom