• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Black Mirror. What was the response to the premier in 2011? (spoilers)

From some point in late 2016 to early in 2017 I watched Black Mirror. I somehow had no knowledge of this show (even though I must have come across info about it at some point in the sites I browse) when I started watching in 2016. I went in knowing it was highly regarded... a show that is described as a "a modern and more disturbing Twilight Zone" is my perfect pitch for a show. It was a real joy to find this show with 3 seasons completed so late.

Anywell, the series is great, and I have my own top episodes list, but I want to focus on the S1E1 episode The National Anthem. In my ranking of episodes, it's probably in the middle, but it continues to haunt me to this day. The pig sex scene still deeply disturbs me just thinking about it (and I only saw it once). I feel like I have vivid memory of:
- the PM and the pig
- the TV viewers facial expressions
- the PM in the bathroom afterwards
- learning it was all unnecessary in the end

The concept I existentially most dread in Black Mirror is in White Christmas, and there's probably a few others ahead of The National Anthem, but the National Anthem is still so disturbing.

I've recommended the series to others with the caveat that they should not watch S1E1 first (I usually recommend The Entire History of You).

But it makes me think... I went into this show knowing it was highly regarded and "bold and daring" and all that. So I was willing to accept (and look past?) the crazy authorial intent of The National Anthem. But how was it received in 2011 when this was the first and only episode released? It certainly was a thrilling episode, but going in blind I feel Charlie Brooker had not yet earned the trust to air something so fucked up.

I don't really remember there being any fuss about it. Marne the odd fake outrage story by the likes of the Daily Fail? But nothing really.

Charlie Brooker has been a legend in the UK for ages so people already knew him and his name was actually used in the advertising for it.

I recommend you watch 'Dead Set', if you haven't already. That was his first big (smaller) TV series. Other than Black Mirror and Dead Set - he's been writing and presenting TV stuff, mostly comedy/satire, for years and years.

Charlie Brooker has been a legend in the UK for ages so people already knew him and his name was actually used in the advertising for it.

Ah, I should clarify that I'm speaking from an American perspective, so Charlie Booker was new to me.

Still interesting to know there wasn't a big negative response... not sure why I find it so "outlandish" with the other shit in Black Mirror.

ghostjoke

Banned
It was Channel 4 so it was expected. They aired a lot of trashy things in the decade preceding that would fall in line with the shock value but without the substance of Black Mirror. I'm sure there was some from the usual suspects.

Charlie Brooker was around for a long time, both in and out of fictional works, writing similarly bleak satirical out outlooks on the present/future and the clash of pop culture and technology mixed with some extremely dark, deadpan comedic moments. Black Mirror is very much a continuation of his works.

The last huge outrage over a TV programme that I remember was the Brass Eye Paedophilia episode. Which was in reality all about media hysteria and had exactly the result that it intended. - That was in 2001.

https://youtu.be/Ngb-2Wr8d_0

Remember, our TV is a lot more liberal than in the US - as long as it's after 9pm you can have as much swearing and/or nudity or whatever as you like, even on normal free to air network TV. Channel 4 (Black Mirror and Brass Eye's original channel) is also known for being alternative and controversial - so the very fact that it was Charlie Brooker and on Channel 4. You knew what you were getting.

LordRaptor

But how was it received in 2011 when this was the first and only episode released? It certainly was a thrilling episode, but going in blind I feel Charlie Brooker had not yet earned the trust to air something so fucked up.

Yeah, you're unfamiliar with UK TV I guess, particularly Channel 4.
Post watershed you can pretty much show what you want.

Top Bottom