• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sleeping Dogs. Beware The Spoilers.

EYEL1NER

I played through it on 360 but have had the Xbone remaster sitting around untouched for close to a year now. I just started in on it and have found it hard to put down. Anything that is supposed to be wrong with the remaster, I haven't noticed. The game is just as fun as it was the first time. I love the setting, the combat, the music (Radio Softly and Warp Radio are my jams), everything. It's such a great game and it is such a bummer that we won't see a real sequel.

hollerphonix

Neo Member
I played the remaster (ps4) after beating the story on ps3 within the same year. No real issues with the remaster that I can recall save for a couple small frame hiccups a couple of times and a full on error code shutdown before patching. Nothing since and it's still possibly my favorite open world game as it really gives the player a full sense of the environment and culture that is sip different and much more complete. Add in the melee combat and it's a winner.
I still have to finish the platinum just got fed up with the races. If anyone has any suggestions for that I'd be stoked.

Denton

One of the best games last gen, part of great 2012 year. Finished it twice, with all DLCs too. The PC version is just bliss. I hate Squeenix for not letting UFG to make a Bangkok or Singapore based sequel with Wei Fucking Shen starring again.

zenpuff

Neo Member
It was really good at balancing the goofiness of an open world game with an interesting story and good characters. That's really hard to pull off. The Halloween DLC was also kinda fun, though really short and kind of shallow.

I loved this game, but It's amazing that this game is so highly regarded on GAF but that isn't really reflected with near perfect review scores. Either way, I'm happy with it being a hidden gem. The scenery is so beautiful in that game. It feels like a real city you could live in.

LordCiego

Nice game, finished it recently and everything from melee, gunplay and driving was good. It ended quite suddenly but it was left at the good point. I would have liked that relationships and home decoration were more meaningfull but thats just minor complains.

Also this is one of those games that makes you realize hoy boring english cursing can be, "fuck" "fuck" "fuck" "motherfucker", pls use something different, at least we had some chinese cursing.

I love this game and wish it will get a sequel. Hopefully I will see overhauls in physics, shooting and hand to hand combat mechanics in the next game. I mean those aspects aren't bad at all in the first game but they are not that great either and really need to be improved.

Mexen

I'm all for buying my cars aka not having stolen cars saved in P, but the ones "given" to you to drive people around would have nice as gifts. Lol. I guess the devs thought that wouldn't give players an incentive to save up for vehicles.
It's almost as diabolical as it is genius. The ending did seem abrupt but for every green mission that got unlocked, I did the challenges around town first. Playing like that gave a real sense of being an undercover cop and I questioned my loyalty every now and again. I wish that had been explored more.

Nice game, finished it recently and everything from melee, gunplay and driving was good. It ended quite suddenly but it was left at the good point. I would have liked that relationships and home decoration were more meaningfull but thats just minor complains.

Also this is one of those games that makes you realize hoy boring english cursing can be, "fuck" "fuck" "fuck" "motherfucker", pls use something different, at least we had some chinese cursing.

I hear ya. By the time I bought a bed, I already had a new place. Never got to see the art I bought either. The cursing you mention was a nice touch.

I really love this game, enjoyed it more than any of the GTA's I've played. Kung-fu supercop simulator is my jam, one of the few games I've Platinum'd.

speedomodel

Really enjoyed this game for the first 15 or so hours. Then it fell into Watch Dogs/Far Cry 4 territory where I GOT SO DAMN SICK OF THE GAME.

Mexen

Really enjoyed this game for the first 15 or so hours. Then it fell into Watch Dogs/Far Cry 4 territory where I GOT SO DAMN SICK OF THE GAME.

Shame. This game is the first open world title with just enough content not feel like it's a drag for me. I don't know how UF pulled that off.

ChanMan

Driving through the streets of Hong Kong listening to Bonobo was some good times. This was definitely one of my favorite games from last gen.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Yeah, I agree! The dating part could have been more fleshed out. I remember taking photos of Amy and thinking, "so do I get to keep her as my waifu till the end of the game?" But just like that, she was gone. I thought I did something wrong because I called Amy and Tiffany around the same time. Lol

Amy was just playing around herself according to the police file.

Falchion

Agreed. I beat it on 360 when it came out and then just a couple of months ago I beat the Definitive Edition. One of my favorite games from last gen for sure.

Also the story was pretty powerful.
RIP Jackie

vypek

Agreed. I beat it on 360 when it came out and then just a couple of months ago I beat the Definitive Edition. One of my favorite games from last gen for sure.

RIP Jackie

I felt really bad for Jackie. He had faith in Wei until the very end.

I can't recall if there was some oversight in the DLC though.

Did the ghosts who visit Wei in the car know he had been an undercover cop or did they ignore that? I can't remember even though I've played that DLC twice.

coolest thing is all chinese characters were voiced by actual chinese americans

i loved it but i wish they would have given the story its time, felt crammed and the ending had little build up

Game was bogged down with open-world syndrome. If it wasn't for that, Wei Shen and the story is actually the highlight of the game; far more enjoyable than GTA or Batman Arkham series.

I wish the game had a compact chapter based scenario considering their scope and budget. HK is a wasted backdrop for such a unique setting and I live here. Shenmue was the only game that actually did it justice because of its intimate moments with the environment and not just X-open world side-quest collectathon formula.

alexein

I platinumed the ps plus version and my favorite open world of last gen.
I had lot of fun , my only problems are the sudden ending, it felt so rushed .
And the girls that you see only 2 times and never again i would have love more romance and more linked to the story.
I would love to see a crossover yakuza sleeping dogs,and beating yakuza with kiryu in an open world.

I got the ps4 hartbook release to support the dev and man what a japanese cover:
1118full-sleeping-dogs-cover.jpg

BigDes

I think my favorite mission is where you have to rescue Jackie from the back of a truck

He's trapped in there with I think two enemy gang members so you think shit I have to do this fast or Jackie is going to take a massive beating

Then you catch up with the truck and hijack it, race around to open it up and Jackie has just bodied both of them,

danmaku

RIP Jackie

Actually I thought the story was one of the weakest parts of the game. It's short, predictable and the characters are flat and boring. The HK setting, on the other hand, is great. The city feels a bit small but they nailed the atmosphere and the areas you can explore on foot are a nice touch. It needed a sequel with a bigger budget.

IzzyF3

I usually get burnt out on open world games, which is why I still haven't played GTA5 (GTA4 was so bad). But surprisingly I didn't get burnt out on Sleeping Dogs. This and Infamous 2 are the only open world games that I enjoyed every bit of.

This is my favorite open world game ever, but being a Cantonese speaker definitely added to it.

Sleeping Dogs was a huge surprise to me. Knowing it was supposed to be a True Crime game had kind of turned me off, as I wasn't a big fan of those. Just about everything in the game was pretty good though, and ended up being one of my better splurge gaming purchases.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
One of the best open-world games and doesn't overstay its welcome.

I particularly love the continual improvement in homes that Wei Shen has over the course of the game - it's minor things but you see the impact that he has on people as he gets further and further up the ranks in the Triad. I also loved the talks between him and his handler, although it could and should have been fleshed out more.

But the highlight for me is always going to be chase sequences: This game is a goddamn 90s Hong-Kong action movie in the style of John Woo and the like - from foot-chases to the amazing car-chasing system and cover mechanics, the game is built to look badass at every turn, and I think more games need to copy those mechanics.

There are some janky animations and cringe dialogue at times that took me out of the game but it's not that big of a deal. If they fleshed out the game more, better animations, more to the story in the second/third acts, it would have no doubt been a GOTY contender. As it stands though, I just want more.

Sleeping Dogs is probably my favorite open world game at this point. The only other open world action games I've been as in love with are Bully and Red Dead Redemption. It's not perfect, and is begging to be fleshed out with a real sequel, but gotdamn is it fun and endearing.

Game was bogged down with open-world syndrome. If it wasn't for that, Wei Shen and the story is actually the highlight of the game; far more enjoyable than GTA or Batman Arkham series.

I wish the game had a compact chapter based scenario considering their scope and budget. HK is a wasted backdrop for such a unique setting and I live here. Shenmue was the only game that actually did it justice because of its intimate moments with the environment and not just X-open world side-quest collectathon formula.

Same. I always felt that it would make for an good mini series. People always called it cliche and yeh it had a lot of what you would expect from an undercover cop drama — but that's exactly what made it enjoyable.

Yeah, I agree! The dating part could have been more fleshed out. I remember taking photos of Amy and thinking, "so do I get to keep her as my waifu till the end of the game?" But just like that, she was gone. I thought I did something wrong because I called Amy and Tiffany around the same time. Lol

And yeh I wished they had had more to it than a single mission and some perks. I really, really would have enjoyed getting into more trouble with Sandra...

Same. I always felt that it would make for an good mini series. People always called it cliche and yeh it had a lot of what you would expect from an undercover cop drama — but that's exactly what made it enjoyable.
That's exactly what made it so good. It knows what it is and doesn't try to become something its not. It keeps the drama simple and the pacing fast, and doesn't try to overreach with the story it's trying to tell. Keeps the length and subject matter simple, well paced, and focused on the core story. If something like GTA V is stronger example of something more like a seasonal drama, almost a buddy crime-comedy sitcom, then Sleeping Dogs is one of the better examples of movie pacing and focus I think.

ty_hot

I finished it on PS4 this week, good game. I just think that there is absolute no challenge in the game, everything is easy. Running from the police is a joke, fighting is a joke, shooting is also a joke. But everything is well done at least. I finished the main story and I dont want to play anymore. First I thought it would be nice to catch all drug dealers (those minigames for hacking are also well done, but very easy). Is there anything different in the DLCs?

Seriously, the game is very very good, but its very very very easy. Maybe this was the push I needed to start Bloodborne?

Top Bottom