• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sometimes Gamers Suck - Bioshock 2 Does Not

Ralemont

not me
Bioshock 2 is better than Bioshock even without Minerva's Den. Better characters, better gameplay, a story that's actually meaningful and doesn't predicate its success upon a one and done twist, and incorporates player agency better than B1 does with its ending.

Izuna

Banned
I think you missed the point. The story of Bioshock took place simultaneously across Infinite parallel worlds. The one in the DLC wasn't the same one from the first games. It was another parallel universe similar to the one from the first games. The same way you jump between similar worlds throughout Bioshock Infinite.

That would mean it had no point to it.
It is definitely intended to be the intro to BioShock 1.

Hell, that DLC makes sure to connect OG Elizabeth with the DLC. It's the same characters and joining up into the time line we are aware of.

Otherwise, really, the game is a big pile of pointlessness.

Bioshock 2 is better than Bioshock even without Minerva's Den. Better characters, better gameplay, a story that's actually meaningful and doesn't predicate its success upon a one and done twist, and incorporates player agency better than B1 does with its ending.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL no. Lamb vs Atlas? Not even fucking close. And Ryan? Bio1 is a masterpiece, 2 is merely great.

I feel BioShock 2 ain't that bad...greatly enjoyed my first playthrough back in 2010-ish, then my recent playthrough a few months ago, while not as exciting as the first time, still held up enough for me to still like the game in general

It's my 2nd favorite BioShock game...my most favorite as of now is the 1st, 2nd one is my 2nd favorite, and my third favorite is Infinite...despite that, I feel there are things to like about all three games

I feel BioShock 2 ain't that bad...greatly enjoyed my first playthrough back in 2010-ish, then my recent playthrough a few months ago, while not as exciting as the first time, still held up enough for me to still like the game in general

It's my 2nd favorite BioShock game...my most favorite as of now is the 1st, 2nd one is my 2nd favorite, and my third favorite is Infinite...despite that, I feel there are things to like about all three games

Gota play it at 30fps tho amiirite? :p

HotHamBoy

Bio1 will always be more memorable tho, even if 2 had better gameplay.

Oh, i agree that the first game is more memorable. Honestly, the first hour is way more interesting than the twist. Few games approach the first descent into Rapture.

Maybe Bioshock 1 would be clearly superior to 2 if it was purely an adventure game, but it's got a lot more to judge the two games by and Bioshock 2 is just the better game, all-around.

I mostly remember it had some of the most satisfying trap-setting combat ever. I played through it twice back to back.

Yeah, you can practically play BS2 like a real-time strategy game if you want too. That's what really clinches it for me.

Gunplay and enemy design is better, too.

xHiryu

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL no. Lamb vs Atlas? Not even fucking close. And Ryan? Bio1 is a masterpiece, 2 is merely great.

idk about that. Lamb was pretty dope especially since shes a result of what happened through Ryan and Atlas and tries to take the mantle. i also def respect her just being a strong female villain, off the top of my head we dont see much of that.

but ryan is much more compelling and a better overall villain but pitting her against two villains aint really fair imo

Grisby

qI3Wo.jpg

Player character: "Uh, I didn't see nuthin."

Servbot24

Banned
But again, who the fuck cares about the story? Video games are games first and foremost. The gameplay in Bioshock 2 is fantastic.

I mean, Bioshock 1 is a trash story by any metric that isn't video games. It also has a pretty lame ending.

Like, video games are a terrible medium for story telling. The few exceptions are trying to do something radically different and generally tend to be abstract. Books, movies, tv shows, comics are all better at telling stories than video game are. If i enjoy a story in a game then that's a great bonus but that is not what makes a game great for me.

Story can do a lot to elevate gameplay. Games bring together a lot of elements and when executed properly those elements build off of and supplement eachother. Video games aren't a bad medium for story, video game creators generally just don't have any background in storytelling so they suck at it.

But yeah Bioshock has a pretty shitty story. Cool setting though.

I played the remaster on PC and loved it. It's a fantastic game. It doesn't have the impact of the story and world the first game had, naturally, but I thought it was great in its own right.

HotHamBoy

Story can do a lot to elevate gameplay. Games bring together a lot of elements and when executed properly those elements build off of and supplement eachother. Video games aren't a bad medium for story, video game creators generally just don't have any background in storytelling so they suck at it.

But yeah Bioshock has a pretty shitty story. Cool setting though.

I don't see how anyone can argue against a better story making a better game, but I'm just saying it's an ill-suited medium for traditional stories because you are forced to write around gameplay scenarios.

At the same time, while I'd surely appreciate both Bayonetta games having better stories, the fact that boths stories are mega garbage doesn't stop me from calling it one of the best action series of all time.

Am I about to be one of the only people in this thread who hates BioShock 2? Because I HATE BioShock 2. Uninspired, rote, and purely made to sell on brand alone. It feels passionless and it's multiplayer was complete garbo.

...That being said, I have wanted to give the game a second chance as I haven't played it since launch, when I tunneled through it like three times in a couple weekends...

Damnit, GAF, your praise in this topic is convincing me to try and find what it seems me and all my friends missed the first time around.

Bioshock 2 is an amazing game but game but damn do I wish that the remastered version gave you the option to play without that bloody camera. It's hands down the worst part of going back to Bioshock 2, and brings down the otherwise tight gameplay. Halving the number of times you're asked to protect a little sister would be an improvement too. Still the best game in the series IMO, this post made my heart happy.

People we're just shitty because they didn't want the original story ruined by an unnecessary sequel. What we got was basically a side story, so people complained.

It has the most fun game play of the 3. No question.

I might have to replay it now you remind me of it. Decimating splicers with the drill arm and taking out a Big Sister with your trap set ups was so fun.

DanielJr82

Like you, I also ignored the game at release because of all the negative rhetoric. I gave the game a chance after a couple of years and regretted not giving the game a chance earlier. It's a fantastic entry in the series and worthy of praise.

Gota play it at 30fps tho amiirite? :p

oh my GOD haha...now it's beginning to haunt me, even outside of that thread :O

In the case of BioShock 2...I first played it on the 360, presumably on 30fps and didn't mind too much at the time...then on the PC version that I got in the BioShock collection on Steam...I think I played it unlocked framerate...pretty fluid experience then. I think I can play both versions just fine

eot

Banned
I own it but haven't got around to playing it. Just don't care for the first game or Infinite at all.

That would mean it had no point to it.
It is definitely intended to be the intro to BioShock 1.

Hell, that DLC makes sure to connect OG Elizabeth with the DLC. It's the same characters and joining up into the time line we are aware of.

Otherwise, really, the game is a big pile of pointlessness.

A big pile of points you missed.

There was so much reality jumping and timeline alterations going on in that game that it was pretty obvious that nothing was the way it used to be anymore. The DLC was an alternate reality variation of Rapture. It was a throwback tying the two together, showing that somewhere in the multiverse they converge.

It was a pretty good game
Plus it had a decent multiplayer mode that was great for when you beat the game

I always wanted to see a story from a big daddy perspective and 2 gave it to us

Bioshock 2 is an amazing game but game but damn do I wish that the remastered version gave you the option to play without that bloody camera. It's hands down the worst part of going back to Bioshock 2, and brings down the otherwise tight gameplay. Halving the number of times you're asked to protect a little sister would be an improvement too. Still the best game in the series IMO, this post made my heart happy.

What do you mean the camera? Like the research camera?

Meaty

Man I totally miss the multiplayer. In a way it reminds me of overwatchs multiplayer. If they tweaked a few elements like making every gear available from level 1 id gladly replay it on the remaster.

Way it was on last gen, I got to level 40 then quit cuz Id never get the cool dlc stuff.

Regarding the campaign, it was the best any team could possibly do when tasked of doing a bioshock sequel. A prequel would be lame as youd already know everything that happened. I truly admire the solution they invented. They simply inverted everything about rapture. In a way, the society recovered and was functional enough to survive a decade, but through an ideology totally oposite from ryan's. They had to develop an story from scratch using an already built world. The way they integrated the adam ghosts in the first game into a "collective memory" was genius imho.

MartyStu

My favorite game of the series.

I like infinite a lot too unlike most.

Bioshock 1 is still a mediocre game masquerading as a smart one.

Kssio_Aug

I have yet to play this one. I own both Bioshock 1 and Infinite on Steam, enjoyed the 1st way more (although I still liked Infinite).

If I remember correctly I think Bioshock 2 has some technicals issues that made me avoid to buy it before. Is that true or am my mistaken?

PK Gaming

I am simultaneously thrilled with this game and pissed off at all the hyperbolic idiots who convinced me to never play this.

Don't let the popular consensus ever convince you to play / not play a game.

If you're interested in a divisive game, check it out and then decide.

I appreciated the more personal note the story had in Bioshock 2 but have to admit that Lamb was a weak villain. With that in mind and this being a reintroduction to the world of Rupture instead of the first visit, it's hard to say which game is better on the story front.

Gameplay wise Bioshock 1 and Infinite for that matter can fuck right off. In that regard, Infinite is downright embarrassing as a quasi-sequel.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Bioshock 2 kept crashing for me on PC when I had to guard this door whilst it was powering open, so I gave up on completing it.

Owari

Bioshock was excellent.

2 I got a progression blocker on hard mode so, it sucks.

Infinite is pretty but the story is really really stupid, also, it shouldn't have been called Bioshock, since it's not a bioshock game.

I really liked Bioshock 2, never understood the dislike for it here. I liked the story, characters, atmosphere and gameplay. It was a good game.The multiplayer was surprisingly fun too back at launch.

Mind you, crappy ending aside I really liked Infinite too, which also seems unpopular here... Fantastic art and Elizabeth was so good.

Don't let the popular consensus ever convince you to play / not play a game.

If you're interested in a divisive game, check it out and then decide.

IF I always hadn't the money I would find out on myself but especially back then I had to be choosy about my games.

Do anyone else's guns sound almost silent on PS4?

I found the middle of the game to have a little bit of "routine" set in even though Siren Alley was well designed and the one after that wasn't horrible. However Fontaines Futuristics has been pretty stellar and really reminds me of Fort Frolic. I hope it keeps up from here. The game still plays excellently and my sound finally came on for the guns and I was freaking thrilled. Everything is as it should be.

Question
I am in the middle of Fontaine and just finding the atom plants. From my understanding the whole plot with Eleanor is to give her everybody's shared memories and experience so that what can happen? What is Lambs master plan?

If I will find out twists later that will explain don't tell me

Also how is a hard play through of Bioshock 2? I may do another run...

The original Bioshock is in my top 5 favourite games ever. I never owned Bioshock 2 but played a lot of its multiplayer at my cousins house when it first came out and remember thoroughly enjoying it.

I recently bought the remaster on steam and plan on starting it this week. Based on the impressions on this thread, especially about how the combat is much improved from the original, I can't wait to start playing it.

The original Bioshock is in my top 5 favourite games ever. I never owned Bioshock 2 but played a lot of its multiplayer at my cousins house when it first came out and remember thoroughly enjoying it.

I recently bought the remaster on steam and plan on starting it this week. Based on the impressions on this thread, especially about how the combat is much improved from the original, I can't wait to start playing it.

Enjoy. What you lose in unique atmosphere, you gain in much refined combat.

Bioshock 2 is the best game in the franchise, but got zero respect on release. Dark Souls 2 and Prey also took way too much undeserved shit for being sequels made by a different team.

It's easily the worst of the three games, but still a very good game. It felt a bit too samey to the first game and the story wasn't as good.

Infinite still is my favorite for setting and story, Bioshock 1 for atmosphere.

The most satisfying story of this series by a long shot for me. I did get a little tired of the last level and started running through it literally instead of stopping to shoot everyone down, but otherwise, it's superb. Didn't care for Infinite's story at all, a convoluted mess by comparison.

Mr. Sam

Tall as my backlog has become, this thread is tempting me. I loved the original Bioshock - albeit I now haven't played it since I was in my teens now - and probably liked Infinite more than most but I thought the overwhelming consensus was that 2 was just a worthless cash-in. There's enough people in this thread alone that don't think that's the case that I think it's definitely worth giving a chance.

Finished it and it ended pretty well and kept pretty nice pace until the finale. All in all a very good game and it stinks it took me so long to get to it

Just put an hour and a half into Bioshock remastered and I'm kinda finding most gamers opinions weird again. I heard combat was atrocious but the guns feel better than even 2 and the sound and feel and satisfaction of shooting is really nice. Although I will probably end up liking 2 combat more because only 2 weapon limit in Infinite.

Really excited to play through Infinite again and oh my gosh it's so gorgeous. Love the Bioshock series.

Top Bottom