• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Uncharted 4 - Yeah, this is the one

Manu

I've never been much of an Uncharted fan. I'm not sure why though: I've played 1-3 and, while I thought they were really good games with some great production values and setpieces, they always left me with an empty feeling, and I never got what everyone else seems to love about them and makes them GOTY material. Maybe because the climbing is dumb and automatic, maybe because I don't like the combat that much and the games are 75% combat, maybe because the "puzzles" just spell out the solutions for you on Drake's journal. I don't know. I loved TLoU for what it's worth, I thought it was worth the praise. But not Uncharted.
I always liked the stories though, and I thought they were the best part of 2 and 3, and that's how at least got some enjoyment out of them. The writing is funny, the characters are likeable, and overall I thought the game was better when it wasn't throwing wave after wave of bullet-spongey enemies at you (and that's also why I didn't like 1 at all. Fuck 1.)

Cue Uncharted 4. I heard the stories about how it was a disappointment for a lot of people (even here in GAF) because it had less setpieces and combat and such, so I figured I was going to love it. And boy, I was right. This is easily my favorite Uncharted game, by a wide margin.

I mean, it's not a perfect game and has its share of problems (mostly pacing related), but overall I think Naughty Dog did the right thing by having less combat in the game. It was always the weakest part of the previous games for me. But the combat that's in there is the best the series has ever had. I loved the large arenas, the movement. Even the stealth mechanics were fun, if pretty basic. It's a shame that the one Uncharted game where I feel they nailed the combat is the one that has so little of it. I'd replay fucking Uncharted 1 if the combat was like this.

I liked how they tweaked some of the series gameplay staples too. For once some of the puzzles required me to actually think so that was good. I still hate characters telling me what to do if I don't figure it out myself in 30 seconds though. The climbing was still mostly automatic, but I liked the more open approach with optional routes and how there was less reliance on dumb "shit gets broken" during climbing.

And the graphics. Good lord.

George-Lucas-Charlie-Rose.jpg
Every single frame has so many things going on.

I'm not usually impressed by graphics, and I never got all the "OMG Naughty Gods" stuff from the previous Uncharteds, but this one looks absolutely amazing. Almost CG at times. Every new location was jawdropping. The cloth effects. The way the sunlight goes through the vegetation. Seriously impressive stuff, especially considering most of these levels are absolutely huge. I've seen open world games take place in maps smaller than some of them. And the consistent framerate during everything. I did notice some drops at times but it was during scenes that didn't look as graphically intensive as others that did run at a perfect 30, so that's kinda weird.

I liked the more grounded story this time. Character dialogue was on point, as expected from ND. I liked the character of Sam, but I don't think he really benefited from having been voiced by Troy Baker. I think any competent actor could've done the job. Nadine and Rafe were really nice additions to the cast too, although Nadine wasn't as important to the plot as I had expected from the pre-release material. Rafe was a great villain though, and I really enjoyed his character.

I'd totally watch a sitcom about Nate and Elena's day to day life. I love them. Probably the best couple in gaming history.

I still think the game has some bing pacing issues though, especially on the first half, and takes too long to get going. I think I was 3 hours into the game, on chapter 5, and had actually played for half an hour. The rest of it was either cutscenes or walking. The game would've benefited from more action in the first half, that's for sure. But the second half was pretty much perfect and I really enjoyed the downtime because it allowed me to bask on the beautiful scenery and pay attention to every detail, instead of being funneled from setpiece to setpiece.

tl;dr: I never liked Uncharted that much, but I loved Uncharted 4, probably for the same reasons a lot of people hated it.

AndrewPL

I got the game through the library due to the games short length, just finished it.

While I did love the game I didn't enjoy the climbing sections or combat but did like the characters, even though everything was so unbelievable.

Wished everything wasn't so linear and setup so there was more exploration rather than just looking for the path the designers put in there to follow.

(This may sound super negative but I did enjoy it)

Kalentan

I got the game through the library due to the games short length, just finished it.

While I did love the game I didn't enjoy the climbing sections or combat but did like the characters, even though everything was so unbelievable.

Wished everything wasn't so linear and setup so there was more exploration rather than just looking for the path the designers put in there to follow.

(This may sound super negative but I did enjoy it)

Short? It's like... 12 to 14 hours?

When did that become short.

Angel_DvA

I don't know how to feel about it, I like it but I'm not loving it, I enjoyed the time with it but I don't need to play it once more, it doesn't feel like an Uncharted game too, it's very strange...

The game is gorgeous visually, a real master piece in art/animation/details and the gameplay is really top notch but the pacing of the game, the story itself and the lack of set piece just hurt too much, a solid 8/10 though.

I think it's time to let it go and work on other franchise.

Cudder

It's obviously a great game, and you can't deny the unreal production value the game has, but it also has some really bad pacing in spots. Doesn't really make multiple playthroughs that much fun.

The Madagascar section is quite easily the best part for me. Working through the busy marketplace crowds, climbing the old church, shootout in the market, tank section, chase section. It was Indiana Jones level of amazing. It's probably just me but I enjoyed populated areas more than exploring jungles and finding lost stuff. There's a type of anticipation familiar with the works of Hunter S. Thompson/Hemmingway in the air which is felt. All that's missing was a local lass who rebuffs Drake's advances.

TissueBox

Glad to see you liked it!! Amidst a lot of other opinions, both contrary and analogous, disregarding which ones are right, wrong, or more right, it is still refreshing nevertheless to see someone's path with Uncharted start weak but finish hella strong.

Manu

Short? It's like... 12 to 14 hours?

When did that become short.

Seriously. 15:30 for me.

It's obviously a great game, and you can't deny the unreal production value the game has, but it also has some really bad pacing in spots. Doesn't really make multiple playthroughs that much fun.

Yeah, I talked about it in the OP. I think once it hits its stride pacing gets much better though.

hbkdx12

As someone who love to replay their games, It's at the top of my list for games that i loved on the first playthrough but can't be arsed to play again a second time.

the graphics were absolutely stunning

but it didn't feel as exciting as an uncharted game should be, even if its the last entry

FreeMufasa

Seems the typical gaf backlash is starting to set in. Won't be long before we hear people saying "it's a piece of shit trash that shouldn't exist"

my version of the last uncharted entry would include the reprise of eddy motherfucking raja and his gang of pirates somewhere towards the last act

Manu

Seems the typical gaf backlash is starting to set in. Won't be long before we hear people saying "it's a piece of shit trash that shouldn't exist"

I'm pretty sure I've seen that opinion already
and that's how I knew I was going to love it.

I thought it was a perfect end to the series.

Sam was a good character to play off Nathan. Rafe is the best villain Uncharted ever had. I personally like Eddy Raja more, but Rafe is by far the more compelling character. Sully is still king of them all.

I don't mind the large amount of climbing, though the Scotland caves were a bit tiresome.

I also thought Uncharted had amazing easter eggs and references, like Monkey Island and Papers, Please.

FTF

Yup, great game and I loved it. I think it may be my favorite one and it's my GOTY so far. An amazing end (at least for ND) to an amazing series.

Robot Pants

It's easily the best.
Best combat, too. So whoever was saying it wasn't as good is very wrong. I wish there was more of it though. There seemed to be more platforming in this one which I'm ok with, but I would have enjoyed more combat.

My only real gripe which is the same with all the Uncharteds - especially 2 - is that it dragged on a little too long. They all do though.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
This is no doubt the best Uncharted by far. Naughty Dog did a really amazing job with this game. The story, gameplay, and amazing characters just made this game one of my favorite games ever. The tower setpieces/Nadine fight is my favorite set piece in any Uncharted game even though it's a short one, it kept me on my heels with a big smile on my face. I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog brings us with their next franchise. GAF opinions on games no longer matter much to me anymore becuase they hate on every great game heavily, unless it's a Nintendo game.

-d0hv

It was mostly a disappointment for me. The puzzles and climbing are mind numbing(have always been the worst part of Uncharted) and it's a shame they didn't improve those aspects if they wanted to focus so much on it.

The multiplayer is the only thing keeping it from being my least favorite Uncharted.

I-hate-u

It's an amazing game with some design flaws that I wish ND can avoid in their title.

There is nothing wrong in pointing out the wrong so the devs can hopefully improve in the future.

I love how the franchise shifted its idea of "spectacle." In 4, it feels much more like a classic era Hollywood idea of spectacle. Perhaps a step less bombastic than 2 and 3, but it has these grandiose, sweeping moments, the best example of which being the climatic
swordfight in the cargo hold of a burning pirate ship.

It swapped out Michael Bay for Errol Flynn.

Edit: Better to say it added Flynn to the Bay, actually, as the game still has a handful of Crazy Fucking Uncharted Sequences.

The first half is definitely slow, but once it picks up the game becomes significantly better. You should give it a try.

The game is beatiful and the interactions are pretty well made but jeez I got bored, I will give the game another try then. The malasya part is truly gorgeous

Trace

Banned
It's easily the best Uncharted, and one of the best games Naughty Dog has ever made. Same with you, I wasn't thrilled on the previous Uncharteds, but 4 just blows them all out of the water. The combat actually felt fun this time, exploration felt more than just going from point a to point b, and it actually felt like it had a solid narrative.

Also that ending was one of the best I've ever seen in gaming.

Parham

Banned
I just finished it last night. The game looks stunning and the moment to moment writing is solid. That said, I really wish the combat and broader story arcs were up to par. Easily my favorite of the Uncharted games, but it's not mechanically interesting enough to play again in its entirety.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I've been going through it recently and have to agree with most of the OP. I never liked the combat in these games, so having less of it has been great for me.

The world is 100% gorgeous, and I can't believe how much detail everything has.

I thought it was boring.

Yeah, way to many climbing sections. If they're going to make that one of the main focuses of the game, then at least add some Prince of Persia depth to it. It's pretty lame that the hardest obstacle they managed to come up with is the sliding down hill + grappling hook combo.

The combat portions are the only engaging parts of interactivity, but they're paced very poorly. Just before a fight starts to pick up, it ends. I can only think of two engagements in the entire game in which that doesn't happen.

And the story...it's okay. At the end of the day, it's still just a summer blockbuster entertainment fest. I don't think this story needed to be 15 hours. Especially when it ends in the most predictable way possible.

It's an alright game. Uncharted 2 is still the only one I really enjoyed from start to finish.

I loved it. The best Uncharted, and one of the best TPS games made to date. Essentially the perfect TPS. It had the best, most personal story, the best characterizations, great set pieces, a more grounded tone, amazing visuals and gameplay, great soundtrack, etc.

Fantastic. And I love the second half a lot as
we actually got to spend a lot more time in Libertalia, exploring and understanding the inhabitants, whereas we were in Ubar and Shambala only for a bit and then blew them the fuck up.

Amazing game. One of the best I've ever played.

It was my favorite UC game as well (with UC2 a close second) and possibly ties with TLOU as my favorite ND title, though I still need a few more playthroughs to make the determination.

Loved the combat, puzzles, story and just overall presentation. I actually liked the pacing as well outside of a few minor spots as I felt it really matched the more grounded tone as well.

And I wouldn't say it was a disappointment for a lot of people (relative to total sales) . That's just the nature of an incredibly well selling game. Much like TW3 and its numerous LTTP threads.

Kuosi

Great graphics, well acted characters, ok story and overall great production value.
Boring combat and platforming. Good game but in the end it's just scripted pipe run with no replay value like rest of the games, some might consider these the best games ever, they just arent for me.

xviper

it was a great game but it's totally forgettable to me, with the huge amount of walking in it, there is no way i'm gonna replay it, EVER, Uncharted series has always been a solid 8\10 for me, what made me love them is the Multiplayer of Uncharted 2 that i fell in love with, ND should forget about Uncharted because 4 proves that there is not much they can add to make it a new experience and they should focus on a new IP or TLOU 2

SighFight

It was mostly a disappointment for me. The puzzles and climbing are mind numbing(have always been the worst part of Uncharted) and it's a shame they didn't improve those aspects if they wanted to focus so much on it.

Interestingly I feel the exact opposite to everything you said. I am mostly amazed by the game. I love puzzles and think there were some good ones in, definitely an improvement to the mostly simple or non existent ones before. Also the climbing was greatly enhanced in my view. It has a better flow and requires a bit more active control. On top they mix expand the mechanic throughout the game.

I guess different people have different opinions. I agree with the op that this is by far the best Uncharted! And I love(!) the pacing.

Just beat this over the weekend.

Good 8/10 game. The levels were you get to drive/explore were the highlight.

Had more fun with Quantum Break to be honest. The more options in combat the better, and UC4 barely advanced in this area.

Hermii

It's an amazing game with some design flaws that I wish ND can avoid in their title.

There is nothing wrong in pointing out the wrong so the devs can hopefully improve in the future.
They had three chances to improve the climbing, in the last one they just doubled down on it.

AudioEppa

It is indeed the one. My favorite game of all time. Everything was simply perfection from moment to moment, Bruce, Neil and ND overall are truly masters at what they do. I can't wait to see them continue making more emotional story driven masterpieces.

The next Phantom Pain, or potential Fallout 4? Maybe even Dark Souls 2? I'm actually surprised by Uncharted 4's response around here, there's been a lot of criticism for sure, but everyone has kept a pretty level head. Most of the criticism has actually been a pretty interesting discussion on how Uncharted 4 handles pacing and game flow. No where near the ridiculous hate its predecessor got.

CrayToes

The presentation was the strongest aspect for me. Absolutely stunning. Didn't love the game, though. Outside of some great character moments and the whole of the Madagascar chapter, it felt mediocre, watered down and dull. The story wasn't strong enough to deserve such a large focus and pacing was poor as a result.

The ending really was perfect imo though.

Really loved it, actually made me go back and play through the original 3 as well (loved them all, although UC1 gets harder and harder to go back to; great to see the Eddy Raja love in her though hahah).

Really curious as to what the single-player DLC will be for UC4, I have some hopes in mind but it'll probably be great regardless.

Fredrik

Yup I never understood the complaints either, I think it's absolutely fantastic, loved every bit of it, feels like playing a great action flick. My GOTY candidate until I played Inside.

Aurongel

The game itself and the narrative left me pretty underwhelmed but honestly I don't think it matters much because this game is kinda going for different things than what a lot of people want out of it.

I think it's fucking incredible that ND is given enough free reign and budget to sink into a game that focuses on as much of the mood/narrative that it does. No one else makes high budget character-focused pieces like this, it's a dying breed of game in a world of AAA focus-tested grime.

I may not have felt satisfied by the game but it represents such a major middle finger towards what most big budget games are. That's where it achieves legendary status for me, this is something that should be celebrated.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I've been playing it on and off during the weekend and I just arrived in Madagascar after about 6 hours of playtime. I'm really enjoyed. Naughty Dog is certainly getting more skilled at their craft.

What I don't get is the complaints about the pacing in the beginning. I actually felt it was one of the better paced opening segments of a game. Some of the flash-back climbing could have been cut but over-all it was really well paced. The Crash Bandicoot-segment was genius.

It's not a great game and I'm not going to put it on a list of the best games ever but it's a really well made game with really good characters, graphics, acting and some really solid gameplay.

Top Bottom