• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Xbox One

More fun with what? Haven't they both gotten the same games for a while now? Actually, hasn't the ps4 gotten more? Your post confuses me.
I completely wrote off Dead Rising 3. Big mistake. It's the most fun I've had on any game in either next gen console.

Titanfall was ok, and timed exclusives like outlast, which I had on ps4, are now on Xbox one. War frame is on the way. Other than those AAA titles I mentioned earlier, I don't miss the ps4 at all. Infamous: Second Sun, was gorgeous, but I didn't enjoy playing it.

So far, I'm enjoying the Xbox one. Only drawback? I tried so hard to get the wife into KINECT voice commands. The system is so unreliable, that my pitch failed HARD.

The KINECT had to be disconnected from our cable box. Too frustrating. C'est la vie...

I tried.

Dead Rising 3, man that game is fantastic.

Yes, it has jaggies.

No, it is not choppy (actually this is the biggest surprise for me....just so much outright chaos going on in front of you, especially when you get the Rollerhog! Love that vehicle!). Try firing the flamethrower and mowing down zombies and driving like a lunatic. The game will just shrug it off and keep going with no visually noticeable choppiness. It isn't 60 FPS, yes, but it is NOT choppy/unplayable!

I think it's a good demo of how much more power 'next-gen' really has, and it shows how much farther it can go. I'm sure over time, devs will figure out how to fix the jaggies in games as resource intensive as this. But as it is now, nothing compares to DR3!

The only thing I hate about DR3 - the big 16GB update that is required for you to download before playing....I had no internet for days because of it [For some reason Xbox One prioritizes itself on the network over everything else if you have it in your household].

Alx

lolwut? I think you're misremembering. The xbone can be a little slow at times but the 360 was/is a lot slower and more sluggish in every way and got worse with every dashboard update.

Yup, I went back to 360 recently and in the end its OS is slower generally, but it feels faster because part of the UI reacts instantly, and then its content loads. So because you have part of the interface already, you feel like "it's almost there", while the splash screens of the X1 interface are immediately associated to "waiting".

So far, I'm enjoying the Xbox one. Only drawback? I tried so hard to get the wife into KINECT voice commands. The system is so unreliable, that my pitch failed HARD.

The KINECT had to be disconnected from our cable box. Too frustrating. C'est la vie...

I tried.

Just tell her you need it for Xbox fitness, so she can have a fit husband. And do try Xbox fitness, it's great. ;)
Oh and try Smartglass if you haven't already, it's a great alternative for commands and menu browsing, especially if you're frequently using a phone or tablet while watching TV.

Gowans

I think the Xbox One really does get over looked in with it's convenience, start and resume, fantastic OS and snapping every now and then and the monthly updates.

For me a console has always been about easy, I have a PC for raw power but I buy all my games for Xbox One when I can.

Just give me boot to TV and I'll get my TV hooked back up, I've loved the World Cup notifications will be nice to have more stuff like that.

Dead Rising 3, man that game is fantastic.
<snip>

I think it's a good demo of how much more power 'next-gen' really has, and it shows how much farther it can go. I'm sure over time, devs will figure out how to fix the jaggies in games as resource intensive as this. But as it is now, nothing compares...

This, Infamous SS, and Battlefield 4, are the only games that wowed me initially. Now? Frankly, DR 3 *still* blows me away. When you see a horde of 50-60 zombies that you can dive deep into, you really begin to appreciate next gen power. It's really awesome in the literal sense of the word.

RobbieNick

Just got my XB1 two weeks ago. The first few days were the worst I've had with any console system I've ever owned. The initial install took two hours and then my first game was of course, Titanfall which took another two hours. Since I started at night, I didn't get to play anything until the next day. Then, I made the mistake of getting Dead Rising 3 and thinking I could actually play it the same day. Nope. 16 GB update! Who makes patches that big? Also, no background patching. Once, you need an update you can no longer play that game until it's done updating.

It's not just every game that needs updating too. Wanna play a Blu-Ray movie? You have to download the app. Wanna use the headphone adapter on your controller (Which I'll admit, works VERY well), you have to update your controller. Your controller!

That said, Once I got everything downloaded and updated and whatnot, it's a pretty good system. The system can be on all day and not generate any heat at all. Silent as a breeze. I love turning it on manually just to hear the little "boodeebeep" it makes. There's TONS of apps but not all of them work. (I'm looking at you WWE) Plus, apps like Netflix and Hulu Plus work almost instantly without having to set up your account with the system! How that is, I dunno.

Ryse is much, much better than I was expecting. But it's a bit on the short side. Only cost me under $20 through Gamefly though so definitely worth it. Suspend/Resume works great and I like the Snap feature, especially when using Upload. which gives you walkthroughs and clips of the game you are playing. Twitch is not games exclusive to the system you are on, but the full Twitch experience.

If they could do an update on the system where patches were installed in the background and I was allowed to play my disc installed, single player games without an update, I'd actually put this system past PS4 in terms of apps, exclusive games and U.I., but the fact that I may not be able to play my brand new game for hours after buying it and it being a less powerful system, PS4 edges it out, but just barely.

Y'know what, after seeing the games offered at this years E3, I think XB1 has the better game lineup so I'm gonna give it to X-Box. Besides, my TV is only 24 inch so I can't really tell much difference between 720P and 1080P Anyway.

Are we talking about the Killer Instinct Box? Oh I didn't realise there were other games for it.

Oh well. I decided to play Dead Rising 3 after a few months as I'm interested in the new DLC and getting some more achievements. Man I hate the loading times on this game. Does anyone feel like doing some co-op or messing around? Just add me on Xbox.
Oh and this happened.

Ferny

Games? How many games did you compare? I'm assuming you bought copies of however many games you are referring to for both systems?

Battlefield, COD, AssCreed, NFS, we pretty much had all multi-plat launch ones thanks to the Target B2G1 sale. My friends got the X1 at launch and I had the PS4 so trust me, we were covered on that.

Sounds like you and all your friends need glasses. The difference in IQ is rather staggering. Even going from a 900p game like Ryse or Garden Warfare, it is very easy to tell the difference. It becomes even worse when you turn on something like Titanfall or Dead Rising 3. While they're fun games, they look jagged and far away details look bad or are completely missing.

I laughed out loud the first time I saw a fence in Titanfall.

Lol

TK Turk

Banned
More fun with what? Haven't they both gotten the same games for a while now? Actually, hasn't the ps4 gotten more? Your post confuses me.

Maybe he enjoys the games on X1 more than the games on PS4. He can have an opinion, and it can be different than yours. How is that at all confusing?

OP, welcome to the club. There's still a couple things that need fixing and adding, but for the most part the experience is at a great level. MS is also very fast to update the system and features, so I can definitely submit your name to be added to the preview program if you are interested. You should pick up Gold at least for the free games. Max and Guacamelee are free right now, and both would run you $15 a piece, so there is most of your Gold subscription price in tyour first month already.

Max is an amazing game that you should be playing anyways, and Guacamelee is top notch. I'm sure you will find $20 more worth of value in your subscription in the next 11 months :).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sounds like you and all your friends need glasses. The difference in IQ is rather staggering. Even going from a 900p game like Ryse or Garden Warfare, it is very easy to tell the difference. It becomes even worse when you turn on something like Titanfall or Dead Rising 3. While they're fun games, they look jagged and far away details look bad or are completely missing.

Ahh, was only a time before the glasses argument came up. Lol.

Calling BS on it being "very easy" in regards to Ryse. For all of Ryse's missteps, graphics are not one of them.

Wizman23

Banned
As soon as I get home from work I yell "Xbox On" as I walk through the door and it turns on my XB1, my receiver, my cable box, and my projector. I don't have to pick up a remote for anything where as with other consoles I would need 4 remotes to turn everything on. Everyone was so down on the TV TV TV thing from the initial reveal but it is awesome and so intuitive I can't ever go back to the old way of switching inputs on all devices. Suspend/Resume is super cool as well. I didn't play Wolfenstein for like a week and said "Xbox go to Wolfenstein" and I was instantly where I was in the game where I hit pause a week prior. No loading, no logo screen, no main menu...just exactly where I paused it a week prior and it ran flawless. The improvements to the UI and overall system in 7 months have been astounding. Can't wait to see where the system goes in the future.

-it's whisper quiet, never hear it when it's on
Is there something wrong with my XBO then? It's way louder than my PS4 and has been since I got it.

Also, I can't leave it in standby mode because I can still hear it clicking/rattling away. It's faint but it sounds like when you leave a tower PC on.

T.O.P

Banned
Is there something wrong with my XBO then? It's way louder than my PS4 and has been since I got it.

Also, I can't leave it in standby mode because I can still hear it clicking/rattling away. It's faint but it sounds like when you leave a tower PC on.

Yeah that is weird, mine is dead silent as well :/

I completely wrote off Dead Rising 3. Big mistake. It's the most fun I've had on any game in either next gen console.

Titanfall was ok, and timed exclusives like outlast, which I had on ps4, are now on Xbox one. War frame is on the way. Other than those AAA titles I mentioned earlier, I don't miss the ps4 at all. Infamous: Second Sun, was gorgeous, but I didn't enjoy playing it.

I tried.

Did you re-run setup and crank up your TV volume so that it would pick up your voice better?

Also, they are releasing a new app soon called Voice Studio (achievement popped up, that's how I know) where it brings you through various commands and such and helps improve your Kinect to better pick up what you are saying.

Thos two things might help!

Ambition

Traded a ps4 for my X1. Best decision. I cant hardly tell the difference between the graphics of the two, then again I never really gave a shit. Theres more fun to be had here than PS right now, especially from someone thats been with Xbox for almost a decade. stick to your roots, people
If people did that, Xbox probably wouldn't exist :p

quickwhips

I will be joining you guys soon. At least I have a nice list of games for free to play thanks to XBG when I finally jump in. I've been playing my brothers and I really do like the improvements they have made to interface.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I grabbed the system almost a month ago-ish because my real life friends mostly bought Xbox One, and not PS4.

I've had PS4 since launch. I love the system, and I think it's the better of the two systems. Both are really good consoles so far.

Turns out, for me, playing with friends, for me, trumps all other gaming categories in terms of importance. To be clear, I mean I would rather play an inferior Multiplat version of a title on Xbox One with friends than have the best version of the game.

Install times are indeed horrible, and I find the system less stable than PS4. My PS4 has never locked up or frozen once. I've never had party or chat issues. I've had this rarely, but still happen, on Xbox One.

The controllers are both great. I'm honestly not sure which I like better. I think PS4 DS4 may have an edge with the share button, but might win overall if the touch pad were more and properly utilized.

Xbox one Suspend/resume is a win, and the party/chat works well on Xbox One now. External USB 3.0 hard drive support is HUGE! So Xbox One wins there hands down IMO.

I'm not sure yet how to feel about the reputation system. Time will tell. Both systems are worth owning, but, it's not necessarily worth owning both systems.

Suspend/Resume is super cool as well. I didn't play Wolfenstein for like a week and said "Xbox go to Wolfenstein" and I was instantly where I was in the game where I hit pause a week prior. No loading, no logo screen, no main menu...just exactly where I paused it a week prior and it ran flawless.

Yup this is currently amazing me too, really superb feature.

rob305

If you like the PS4 make sure you never plug in your TV to the Xbox. You're going to have a hard time going back to the PS4 from the xbox/tv ecosystem

Allforce

I got one about 2 weeks ago, it was cheap (299.99 used), and I bought the Kinect a week later for 50 bucks just for the hell of it.

I'm enjoying it, I only have KI and Powerstar Golf, I'm waiting for the launch games to hit under 20 bucks on GameFly before I jump in. No Live Gold so not getting Titanfall anytime soon. I like the ESPN app, been watching World Cup soccer with it pretty frequently.

The Kinect....is disappointing. Just as I suspected. It picks up voice but rarely on the first try which often leads to lifting your voice volume and almost yelling at it. I can't get "Xbox On" to work unless I literally stand about a foot away and speak directly into the device, which is weird since when it does hear my voice commands for other stuff it works almost anywhere in the room. It's just easier to hit "Play Xbox" on the Harmony remote since even when saying Xbox On to the Kinect it doesn't turn my TV or soundbar in any way that I can figure out.

I set up the whole family with profiles and "Kinect login", which seems neat in theory but all it seems to do is screw up whatever someone is doing when someone else walks in the room. Like my daughter was playing something and I walked in and it immediately jumped to my Home screen and closed her game out. Dumb.

The hard sell for my wife has not worked. We don't have cable so she sees no benefit to the XBO over the PS3 hooked up in the same living room. My Harmony remote works with both but she just is familiar with how the PS3 works for blu-rays and media stuff that she's not interested In switching over. This might change in time.

Complaints aside, I bought it to play games, and that's all that really matters. Wish it was really a more all-in-one device but it just seems half baked. Again, the games are what matters and on that front I'm happy so far.

It picks up voice but rarely on the first try

Have you run Kinect Calibration with your volume turned up so high that the first thing it says is "turn down the volume"? That appears to be the trick to getting it to be responsive. Certainly should have a pretty decent (80%+) hit rate.

blazeuk

Sounds like yours has a problem, mine is completely silent as well, my PS4 is pretty much silent too though (and this is in a room that's been incredibly hot with the weather lately).

R3TRODYCE

If you like the PS4 make sure you never plug in your TV to the Xbox. You're going to have a hard time going back to the PS4 from the xbox/tv ecosystem

Sadly this is true.

Every time I play my PS4 I enjoy it but I rarely turn it on or buy multiplat games on it because the Xbox ecosystem is just so nifty. I can switch from game to tv all by voice and without using discs.

LowerLevel

You may have an issue... My external drive's fan is louder than my XOne, brick included. And to be honest, the drive isn't that loud either.

Allforce

Have you run Kinect Calibration with your volume turned up so high that the first thing it says is "turn down the volume"? That appears to be the trick to getting it to be responsive. Certainly should have a pretty decent (80%+) hit rate.

Yep, ran it 4 times the day I got it since at first it wouldn't recognize ANY voice input. I got the "turn down the volume" message, and I did so. Should I just try again and ignore that prompt and leave the volume where it is?

ethomaz

Banned

Both are quiet systems... well more than PS360 for example.

Z_Y

This is so true for me. I've went all digital this gen so it makes it doubly easy for me to pop in and out of a game whenever I'm just channel surfing. I can't leave my PS4 on because it A) it sounds like a vacuum and B) I can't be bothered to fumble for the remotes to switch inputs. I'm trying to keep all the big AAA multiplats on the PS4 because I could not stand to have an "inferior" version...but damn..it's so damn easy to pick up and play a game on XB1. The UI and voice control are slick as hell. I'm convinced that the people who shit on it are either not using it correctly or have never used it. No other explanation.

DSmalls84

Dead Rising 3 is great as others have said. Definitely my favorite next gen game on either system so far, and the only one I have played through multiple times.

Kelsey

Banned

Almost as staggering as someone claiming ALL the games are sub 1080p.

Rocketz

Congrats OP! Had the system since day one, and I love it. Great system, though not a perfect one. Microsofts monthly updates though have kept me very happy with all the improvements.

Suspended/Resume is great. Snap is so much better than I ever thought it would be and I use it all the time. Also "Xbox, record that" is one of my favorite features.

Pin whatever you use the most. Makes everything much easier.

Shylock

It also killed off any desire for me to fire up the 360. I don't have the patience to wait for the thing to boot anymore.

The only thing that bugs me about the "always on" part anymore is that it doesn't appear easy to denote whether your watching TV because the spouse is forcing you to watch TV and you'd love an invite to play a game, or because there's something you actually want to watch. Conversely, I'm freakishly shy about inviting friends to play if they appear busy, so I typically only bug people if I see them in an actual game.

I see I'm not the only one that started up a new gamertag for the Xbox One lol. I don't know why I did it, but I just did. It didn't feel right having that separation I wish I did it before I beat Ryse, though, as I don't have Ryse completed on my new gamertag, but I'll take care of that all in good time.

Yep, suspend and resume is incredible. I already plan to get a lot of my games on the xbox one simply because I enjoy the overall experience so much, but the suspend and resume feature is something that you do indeed want access to for every game that you own, so that's definitely a major plus for the system so far. Yea, the UI is really nice. There's a few more things that need to be ironed out, such as fixing the messaging system to make it look more like a SMS convo on a smartphone, but they make a lot of improvements pretty fast, so all in good time.

I'll also invite you to the beta OS preview program if you want, so let me, or anyone else in the preview for that matter, know if you're interested.

Is there a thread going where we can ask for invites to the Beta OS program? I'd like to get in as i missed the original signup.

Xbox Live - SimpleCRIPPLE

Yeah its a great system. Suspend/Resume is probably my favorite "Feature" that it has. Should definitely pick up Titanfall, and DR3 up stat.

The party system is great now that they've changed it, but there still seems to be issues with games that came out before the change. Or maybe it's just Dead Rising 3. Ryse seems to work, but I've only tried with 2 people. I haven't tested BF4 with a party in a while (all my friends moved on to Titanfall).

I was on with a group last night, 4 of us in total, and we decided to play the new DR3 DLC. It took us 45 minutes to get the game start up with all of us. There is no game lobby. Instead it expects you to have everyone on the DLC's title screen, then ONE person chooses "play now" and then sets up the match, and it just pulls everyone in without them touching anything. Except it always seemed to miss one person and then matchmake a random person in for the 4th slot. If someone's loading screen takes too long or seems to hang (the loading in DR3 is really bad), and they back out? Everyone else gets "your party has changed, taking you back to the main menu."

In contrast, I got on while the other 3 were in a Titanfall match. I went to one of them on my friends list, told it to "join party and game" and it did it flawlessly. (they just happened to have a free slot on their team)

Kelsey

Banned
Both are quiet systems... well more than PS360 for example.

There's nothing quiet about my PS4 when I'm playing a game. That's one of the big differences between my XB1 and PS4. No matter how hard I push the XB1, it's dead silent. Playing a game on the PS4 produces a very loud fan noise.

R3TRODYCE

There's nothing quiet about my PS4 when I'm playing a game. That's one of the big differences between my XB1 and PS4. No matter how hard I push the XB1, it's dead silent. Playing a game on the PS4 produces a very loud fan noise.

Both of my PS4s are like this as well.

I started to notice that my external HDD is louder than my Xbox One and now I want a new one -_-.

Top Bottom