• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Xbox One

Grisby

I'm playing Dead Rising 3 and I love it so far. The city, all the fucking zombies on screen at once. I'm having a ball.
My man. One of the best games last year.

The Super Dead Rising 3 Hyper Turbo dlc is pretty fun if you like the main game and are a big fan of older Capcom series.

ethomaz

Banned
There's nothing quiet about my PS4 when I'm playing a game. That's one of the big differences between my XB1 and PS4. No matter how hard I push the XB1, it's dead silent. Playing a game on the PS4 produces a very loud fan noise.
My PS4 didn't change the noise even playing games... if all it have a beep when start the HDD but after that you can't head it anymore... I read some users have a loud PS4 but mine and others I saw are really quiet.

I live in Brazil BTW... hot every day.

Strictly

Launch PS4 owner who just got an X1 lasts Thursday.

All I will say is that I really wish MS hadn't screwed up on the horsepower because personally the X1 just feels better in most ways for me. From suspend resume to that kickass impulse rumble on the controller. It so hard to go bk and look at the awful PS4 OS now. I hate that I will be forced to buy some multiplats on the PS4 due to its extra grunt.

Sigh, if they hadn't screwed that up, personally, this would have been the most a awesome console I have owned since the PS2. It really feels like a step up when Kinect work properly.

Since you already have DR3 get the awesome super arcade DLC.

And if you are looking for some purchase suggestions:

- Crimson Dragon (It's not the greatest, but it needs to be bought so we can have more niche JP games from MS)
- Max and The Curse of Brotherhood
- Ryse
- PvZ
- Super Time Force

There's nothing quiet about my PS4 when I'm playing a game. That's one of the big differences between my XB1 and PS4. No matter how hard I push the XB1, it's dead silent. Playing a game on the PS4 produces a very loud fan noise.

My ps4 isn't super loud, like the old 360, but you can hear it when those fans cut on.

My man. One of the best games last year.

The Super Dead Rising 3 Hyper Turbo dlc is pretty fun if you like the main game and are a big fan of older Capcom series.

That was one of my favorite parts of e3! I was a big capcom fan growing up and that trailer hit all the right buttons. I had to make sure I would like the game first, since the past DR did nothing to intrigue me, but you're right. If I played this last year, it might've been my game of the year. It's amazing.

Anion

The controller grows on you. I didn't like it at first but now I feel it's clearly superior to the 360 pad whenever I have to switch between the two.
I have to agree with this. It was so stealthly modified that I never realized it until a friend wanted to play halo 4 with me

Kelsey

Banned
My ps4 isn't super loud, like the old 360, but you can hear it when those fans cut on.

Yeah, my PS4's fans aren't nearly on the level of the original 360. They're quite audible though, like a tower PC at times. It was mild in the winter, but as summer arrived it got much louder. It's only noticeable because my Xbox One makes no noise. But then again isn't that the point of such a huge box? As long as the fan of my PS4 doesnt start changing speeds constantly or develop an annoying sound, I'm not all that bothered.

The controller grows on you. I didn't like it at first but now I feel it's clearly superior to the 360 pad whenever I have to switch between the two.

I also agree with this. Going back to the 360 controller after using the Xbox One controller is tough. I like the DS4, but playing Trials and Destiny with it illustrated how much more I like the XB1 controller. I can pull off so many more tricks easily using the XB1 controller. Another oddity is that I own Trials on both consoles and both have about the same userbase. My score is near identical on both consoles. On PS4 my overall world rank is 4900. On Xbox One that puts me at 20,500. Could just be the fact that Xbox users are used to Trials and thus score higher.

Caayn

I also hate the install time.

One protip I can give is to NEVER play a digital download before it is at 100% downloaded and installed

Of the 3 games I own digitally I have had to re-download 2 them to keep them from crashing/hanging.

Forza 5 kept crashing to dash on me. Re-downloaded, Cleared cache, Factory reset my X1.
Same issue until I let in totally download and install.

Ryse gives me an infinite installing screen after the first mission.
Likely because I got impatient and loaded up at 87%
Currently redownloading...

PvZ, is okay as I let it install completely before touching it.

Disc Titanfall seems fine, I'm not sure if I let it install completely before playing. I'm pretty sure I did though.

Feel free to add me everyone

GT - tokyostomp
Not trying to dismiss your experiences but this has never happened to me.
So much love for Dead Rising 3.

About damn time!!!!
Preach it. It's not the prettiest game this gen but the swarms of zombies that come after you makes up for that.

I've had the system since launch and it sure has come a long way with the monthly updates. In fact looking back it was kind of a mess at launch. Freind and party apps were poorly organized, game installs took forever, and a lot of the neat little features we have now we're missing. However the quality and quantity of the launch window titles has been pretty great IMO and I've been having a great time with it.

I still think one of my favorite/most underrated features of the new console is the Smartglass app combined with the ir blaster in the kinect... Having full control over my Xbox and home theatre in an instant with that app is really awesome. It is a huge upgrade over the xbox 360 version. Also Xbox fitness has been a great value for me as I use it 2-3 times a week.

It really is disappointing that it doesn't match the power of the PS4 though because other than that I really love all that I beings to the table

Varg

Banned
The system has quickly becoming my primary go to for gaming. I love the UI (HUGE upgrade from my ps4 ui). The system feels zippy when moving through apps. Love the individual pics for achievements. Lots of color and when I see color, it just puts me in a good mood. For some reason after opening ports for everyone of my systems, my xbox one still is the fastest when it comes to installs and downloads off of the store.

I am hoping for a 3rd party 360 like controller before the MCC cones out.

Ape

Banned
I also hate the install time.

One protip I can give is to NEVER play a digital download before it is at 100% downloaded and installed

Of the 3 games I own digitally I have had to re-download 2 them to keep them from crashing/hanging.

Forza 5 kept crashing to dash on me. Re-downloaded, Cleared cache, Factory reset my X1.
Same issue until I let in totally download and install.

Ryse gives me an infinite installing screen after the first mission.
Likely because I got impatient and loaded up at 87%
Currently redownloading...

PvZ, is okay as I let it install completely before touching it.

Disc Titanfall seems fine, I'm not sure if I let it install completely before playing. I'm pretty sure I did though.

Feel free to add me everyone

GT - tokyostomp

Wow, that's never happened to me or anyone that I know. I wonder if there is something wrong with your Xbox. OP should definitely be ok playing games before they are installed completely, even digitally. I'd get my Xbox swapped out.

Super Time Force, Child of Light and Killer Instinct are a few cheap games that I recommend.

Ferny

Wow, that's never happened to me or anyone that I know. I wonder if there is something wrong with your Xbox. OP should definitely be ok playing games before they are installed completely, even digitally. I'd get my Xbox swapped out.

Super Time Force, Child of Light and Killer Instinct are a few cheap games that I recommend.

I really need to give Super Time Force a try. I have heard a ton of good things about it.

Grisby

That was one of my favorite parts of e3! I was a big capcom fan growing up and that trailer hit all the right buttons. I had to make sure I would like the game first, since the past DR did nothing to intrigue me, but you're right. If I played this last year, it might've been my game of the year. It's amazing.
Yeah, good deal. I liked the previous DR's but 3 really rocked it with the zombie count and bigger city environment.

S&R i want pretty bad but PS4's playgo feature is a grand slam. X1's playgo or whatever they're calling it isn't nearly as impressive. Then install times look pretty horrible. Something they'll probably fix sooner or later though.

Its odd. I don't know if I got a bad one or if i'm just unlucky with installs.

I bought the system brand new from Gamestop.

Strictly

S&R i want pretty bad but PS4's playgo feature is a grand slam. X1's playgo or whatever they're calling it isn't nearly as impressive. Then install times look pretty horrible. Something they'll probably fix sooner or later though.

As someone who has both, PlayGo is not in the same league as S&R.

Syrus

Banned
Add me, we can game sometime. Message me too.

LanceX2

Also look into a seagate expansion 3TB 7200 external hard drive or any 7200 64mb cache hard drive. It improves load times by 20-30% on many games

PsxPhreak

Banned
Agree with the OP 100%

I was SO on Team Sony a year ago that I would've called myself crazy at the thought that I would enjoy the Xbox One WAY more than the PS4 so far.

Got my first hands-on time with the Xbox One a couple weekends ago, and I was seriously impressed with what Microsoft has brought to the table. The UI, Kinect-voice stuff, the games released so far, the controller. Everything about it feels like actual "next-gen". I'm actually pretty glad I didn't buy a PS4 already, because I've spent a couple dozen hours playing Killzone and a few other games at my friends', and I've never felt more mislead by console hype in my life.

The PS4 feels like a step backwards, from the UI to the controller to the software that has been released so far. The specs don't really matter when the console is just flat out boring. I played BF4 on both machines and couldn't tell the difference without a side-by-side. It actually makes me really mad at myself for buying into the hype so much and letting places like GAF influence my perspective.

Also, Kinect Sports Rivals is a hell of a lot of fun. My friend's wife actually said "I wish you bought this one instead of the Sony, so I can play with you", after spending about 2 hours bowling with a bunch of drunk people.

zedge

Wow, nice to see an X1 related thread that has not turned to shit.

I concur with what many here say. Had a PS4 since launch, picked up and Xbox one just after Christmas. I originally was going PS4 for multiplats but have changed to getting most of my games on X1 now. I just prefer the whole experience over the PS4, the UI is so much better than the PS4 ( My opinion). Kinect while pretty useless for games is great for just giving commands. I also prefer the controller, not to mention the awesome battery life it gets compared to the awful DS4 battery life. The apps and software features are also heads and shoulders above what the PS4 offers. It is a bit disappointing that the console is slightly less powerful but software and features > hardware any day.

If you like the PS4 make sure you never plug in your TV to the Xbox. You're going to have a hard time going back to the PS4 from the xbox/tv ecosystem

Watching World Cup with Brazil Now snapped is fantastic.

Another oddity is that I own Trials on both consoles and both have about the same userbase. My score is near identical on both consoles. On PS4 my overall world rank is 4900. On Xbox One that puts me at 20,500. Could just be the fact that Xbox users are used to Trials and thus score higher.

PS4 is easy mode confirmed.

ironcreed

Banned
9z9ip.jpg

I'm probably going to bite by early August. Perhaps even sooner. I just bought a Wii U and am enjoying it while I make my final decision between Xbox One or PS4. It's about an 80/20 split right now, so you can guess which way I'll probably go.

PsxPhreak

Banned
Watching World Cup with Brazil Now snapped is fantastic.

Snap is the SHIT! I actually can't wait for Hockey/Football season to start up again in the Fall so I don't have to have a laptop/tablet always by my side when I'm playing a game and watching one at the same time.

Killer feature for sure.

I know I'm one of the few, a lifelong Playstation fan who is actually switching over to the Xbox side. I missed a lot of stuff on the 360, and since I'm selling my PS3 I wish there was some solution from Microsoft for backwards compatibility with the Xbox One. There are a lot of digital titles that I would be willing to re-buy on the Xbox if I didn't have to buy a 360 along with an Xbox One. Stuff like Double Dragon Neon and Outrun Online (damn you Sega/Ferrari!)

It's been decided tho. This Fall, I will absolutely be buying a new Xbox One, along with NHL 15, Master Chief Collection, Forza Horizon 2 and GTA5.

NPreach it. It's not the prettiest game this gen but the swarms of zombies that come after you makes up for that.

Absolutely. There's nothing better than driving toward a huge zombie herd on a rollerhog and setting their decaying arses on fire before running them down.

SegaShack

Glad to see an XB1 thread without the trolls. It really is a nice user experience that I feel Sony never had. I felt the same as a PS3 owner who got the 360 late last gen. The User Experience on 360 was just amazing. While Sony was barebones.

Sonys has felt like the same thing since the PSP in 2004.

Azzurri

It's nice to see people giving X1 a shot and actually really enjoying it. The power discrepancy doesn't bother me because I play multiplat games on PC. The whole Xbox Ecosystem I've thought was always better than Sony's; to me anyways.

Also, there are more games coming to X1 I'm more interested in than PS4 besides MLB series and The Order.

npa189

I wish I could use my cable box with it, my cable provider has weird firmware that won't allow more than one device in the HDMI chain before it hits the TV, and it counts my A/V reciver, so lame.

ironcreed

Banned
It's nice to see people giving X1 a shot and actually really enjoying it. The power discrepancy doesn't bother me because I play multiplat games on PC. The whole Xbox Ecosystem I've thought was always better than Sony's; to me anyways.

Also, there are more games coming to X1 I'm more interested in than PS4 besides MLB series and The Order.

From everything I have seen the games look fantastic on Xbox One, so the power difference is not something I am splitting hairs over. What makes me want the Xbox One more is that it simply has more games and features I want. I have lingering consideration for PS4 because it is getting No Man's Sky first, but I can wait.

Azzurri

From everything I have seen the games look fantastic on Xbox One, so the power difference is not something I am splitting hairs over. What makes me want the Xbox One more is that it simply has more games and features I want. I have lingering consideration for PS4 because it is getting No Man's Sky first, but I can wait.

I completely agree with you, I've always loved the software side of Xbox more than Sony's.

Oh I think the system itself looks so sleek even if it is a but bigger.

EagleEyes

9z9ip.jpg

I'm probably going to bite by early August. Perhaps even sooner. I just bought a Wii U and am enjoying it while I make my final decision between Xbox One or PS4. It's about an 80/20 split right now, so you can guess which way I'll probably go.
I think you would be definitely satisfied either way but as an owner of both I prefer the X1 and I also think it has the better fall lineup this year at least. There is simply more you can do with the X1 and the UI actually is pretty good compared to the bare bones one on the PS4 right now. I love the little touches like just being able to go to a game on the store and right on the game page is live broadcasts and user game clips for you to check out to help you decide if you like the game or not.

imtehman

Banned
i own a ps4 and one of my best friend who lives like 2 minutes away from me own a xbone so we play each other's systems quite often. If i knew now what i knew then i'd definitely get an xbone first/instead. i really am missing out on the UI and media features but i know if i dont own a ps4 i'll never get to play the niche japanese games that i hope are coming.

I think you would be definitely satisfied either way but as an owner of both I prefer the X1 and I also think it has the better fall lineup this year at least. There is simply more you can do with the X1 and the UI actually is pretty good compared to the bare bones one on the PS4 right now. I love the little touches like just being able to go to a game on the store and right on the game page is live broadcasts and user game clips for you to check out to help you decide if you like the game or not.

Agree with everything said, perfectly stated.

Vyer

I've been pleasantly surprised.

I also found the Kinect/cabletv/voice command stuff much more awesome than I would have anticipated.

Yep, ran it 4 times the day I got it since at first it wouldn't recognize ANY voice input. I got the "turn down the volume" message, and I did so. Should I just try again and ignore that prompt and leave the volume where it is?

No, doing the "keep turning down until it's happy" trick is the way to go. Not sure why it's so bad for you :(

Nice one OP, glad you're enjoying it. I love my X1 more and more. Hooked my TV up to it fairly recently and am really impressed. Forza is awesome, no regrets at all.

Also, this thread has reminded me that I really need to buy Dead Rising.

PsxPhreak

Banned
Launch PS4 owner who just got an X1 lasts Thursday.

All I will say is that I really wish MS hadn't screwed up on the horsepower because personally the X1 just feels better in most ways for me. From suspend resume to that kickass impulse rumble on the controller. It so hard to go bk and look at the awful PS4 OS now. I hate that I will be forced to buy some multiplats on the PS4 due to its extra grunt.

Sigh, if they hadn't screwed that up, personally, this would have been the most a awesome console I have owned since the PS2. It really feels like a step up when Kinect work properly.

The spec difference is NOT what people make it out to be. Comparing X1/PS4 games isn't like comparing Mortal Kombat on the Genesis to the Super Nintendo version.

Everything looks good nowadays, and I'd say that Ryse looks better than Infamous does, so there's that. Games on both consoles are going to look amazing, and if it comes down to choice, I'd rather go for the one with the better experience built around gaming (Network infrastructure, User Interface, etc).

I look forward to the threads on NeoGaf where console warriors will be comparing the number of hair strands on a character model because the resolution/framerate difference between both consoles is so minimal that they'll have nothing else to cling to but minor details that go unnoticed by 99% of the people actually playing these games.

ironcreed

Banned

Yeah, there are really just too many things making the X1 side of the scale weigh more for me.

Snap
The UI, which looks like it is a quantum leap ahead of the PS4
Kinect (Yes, I am thinking of getting the full package)
HDMI in
The Controller (I have tried both and the prefer the Xbox One controller)
Forza Horizon 2
Sunset Overdrive
Ryse
Dead Rising 3
Forza 5
Powerstar Golf
Killer Instinct
Scalebound
Quantum Break
Ori and the Blind Forest
Below
Halo 5
Master Chief Collection
Crackdown
Phantom Dust remake

Of course all of the multiplats as well. All in all, it's pretty overwhelming.

statham

I wish I could use my cable box with it, my cable provider has weird firmware that won't allow more than one device in the HDMI chain before it hits the TV, and it counts my A/V reciver, so lame.

could you use optical out from the Xbox one or HDMI out on your TV to connect to your receiver?

cakely

Yeah, there are really just too many things making the X1 side of the scale weigh more for me.

Snap
The UI, which looks like it is a quantum leap ahead of the PS4
Kinect (Yes, I am thinking of getting the full package)
HDMI in
The Controller (I have tried both and the prefer the Xbox One controller)
Forza Horizon 2
Sunset Overdrive
Ryse
Dead Rising 3
Forza 5
Powerstar Golf
Killer Instinct
Scalebound
Quantum Break
Ori and the Blind Forest
Below
Halo 5
Master Chief Collection
Crackdown
Phantom Dust remake

Of course all of the multiplats as well. All in all, it's pretty overwhelming.

You are in a thread where the OP already bought your console of choice.

There is absolutely no need for list-style proselytizing here.

Random question, but when I turn on my PS4, my TV automatically turns on and switches to the correct input, which is really convenient.

When I turn on my X1, my TV turns on, but only to the last used input.

Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing to fix this? It should be possible with the IR blaster, right?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I've had my Xbone for almost a month now.

Games in my collection

Dead Rising 3 - A lot of early nitpicking on it not looking like a next gen game, but I find it to look well enough. Haven't been able to get too deep into it because of...

..Titanfall - I dig it, plain and simple. This was the main reason I wanted a Bone, and it's a blast to play. Even my youngest daughter is hooked, as we'll take turns passing the controller back and forth like we used to do with Blops 2.

Forza 5 - Pack in game, and another title I recalled hearing wasn't visually impressive. Uh, I finally booted it up a few days ago, and it's damn fine looking! Only messed with it for a bit, but being a big fan of Forza 3 I know it's going to be great.

Killer Instinct- Well, the "free" demo with the rotating character selection, but I plan on buying it. Not a huge fighting game fan, but I do enjoy the spectacle.

Ryse - Beaten and returned so I no longer have this, but I LOVED my time with it. Visually the best looking new gen game I've seen period. Can't recommend it enough!

The two free GwG titles. They both seem kinda meh so far. Thankfully we're getting Guacamelee this month!

Preordered

Sunset Overdrive
Halo Collection
Forza Horizon 2

Near future...
I don't see myself keeping the preorders for Halo Collection and Forza Horizon 2. I'll most likely be switching them to GTA V, and CoD AW. I'm sure the PS4 version of CoD AW will be 1080p, but I really don't care as I like the idea of getting my dlc a month in advance, when I'm really into the game.

Overall I feel the PS4 is the better machine in terms of hardware, and PS Plus service. In terms of games I feel the Xbone has it all over the PS4 right now. It's a no contest, right now.

Kelsey

Banned
You are in a thread where the OP already bought your console of choice.

There is absolutely no need for list-style proselytizing here.

We're in a thread talking about the Xbox One and what we like/dislike about it. That list is fine. Perhaps the OP is unaware of it all.

BDP

Neo Member
I just picked up DR3 myself. I've been looking for people to play co-op. I also have RYSE as well if anyone wants to play co-op there as well.

Gamertag: HUN E BADGER

Personally as far as a total package. I enjoy my ONE more than the PS4 I had. Suspend and resume, snap, voice commands and just the "feel" were some main reasons. I just used the ONE more for just about everything. The PS4 ended up being an exclusive box for me and with the lackluster game line up for 2014. I traded it in.

I may grab a PS4 next year "if" the exclusives promised pan out.

OP give the controller some time. It took me some time to get used to it.

One other plus is the in game chat sound quality as well.

Plasmids

I got the ps4 at launch and love it however I have just recently picked up a Xbox one and have to say its an awesome system.

I can't believe how good Forza feels with that controller it's a really nice feature to have that feeling when driving. I really need to get Dead Rising though I loved the demo and I can see hours of fun on that.

I almost didn't want to like it after all the crap micro pulled but I can't really say there's much to not like.

Great to have both systems then select the best games on each to play, happy days.

Vyer

Also echo the DR3 love. I picked Dead Rising for like 18 bucks during the Gamefly sale. It's been a blast. Need to find someone to try co op with.

Leyasu

Banned
I had both consoles on pre-order last year....until my gf told me she was expecting our second child (born last Monday BTW)

Anyway, even after everything I kept my xbone and cancelled my ps4 because of the games and the dedicated server promise.

All-in-all it is a great system, has some great games and great games coming, and if titanfall is anything to go by. Then yes, their dedicated servers are fucking awesome.

But like a few others have mentioned, it is disappointing knowing that the console is pretty much a lame duck in the power department

The next Xbox better be the successor that the 360 deserved Microsoft. (Shakes fist at screen)

Top Bottom