• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

GP Kobe Top 8 is super sweet:

Tomoya Tsubouchi – Ad Nauseam
Takeshi Kanagawa – Affinity
Akio Chiba – Esper Control
Park Bi-o – Grixis Shadow
Ryoichi Tamada – Jeskai Control
Terumasa Kojima – Dredge
Fumiyasu Suzuike – Eldrazi Tron
Joe Soh – White-Black Eldrazi -WINNER-

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpkob17/top-8-decklists-2017-05-28

Affinity with CoCo, Esper Control with Glory-Bound Initiate, Jeskai Control with all 4-ofs, Shriekmaw main in the winning deck, what an awesome top 8.

Firemind

Alright. Ordered all the cards for €210. Not too bad considering there's like €20 in shipping fees alone. Now let's hope they all arrive before Saturday...

Tunoku

GP Kobe Top 8 is super sweet:

Tomoya Tsubouchi – Ad Nauseam
Takeshi Kanagawa – Affinity
Akio Chiba – Esper Control
Park Bi-o – Grixis Shadow
Ryoichi Tamada – Jeskai Control
Terumasa Kojima – Dredge
Fumiyasu Suzuike – Eldrazi Tron
Joe Soh – White-Black Eldrazi -WINNER-

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpkob17/top-8-decklists-2017-05-28

Affinity with CoCo, Esper Control with Glory-Bound Initiate, Jeskai Control with all 4-ofs, Shriekmaw main in the winning deck, what an awesome top 8.

That Jeskai list looks really sweet. I should get myself a playset Snapcasters one of these days, own most of the other cards.

Daedardus

I feel like Modern is in a pretty good spot right now. There's a lot of diversity, and even within archetypes people run very different decklists. I think that maybe Dredge/Death's Shadow is a bit more dominant than other decks, but they aren't really needed to do well in a tournament. Has UW Control been featured in any way though? I feel like many of the control decks are still of the Jeskai variety.

Firemind

what list did you settle on?
I think Noorlander's list is the most allround list for the number of rounds in a GP. I think Pull from Tomorrow is too slow to maindeck against a number of decks. There's some wiggle room in the SB between Commit to Memory, Summary Dismissal, Release the Gremlins, By Force, Glorybringer, Dragonmaster Outcast, a 4th Sweltering Suns and a 4th Thing in the Ice. The 4 Dispel, 1 Negate and 2 Sphinx of the Final Word are locked at this point I think, since I predict a lot of Marvel. People over here should love their inner Johnny.

I can't believe I'm going to play 8 Inspirations in 2017.

Santiako

Martin Juza with Vizier Elves and has a Westvale Abbey in play. Spicy!

EDIT: Lantern is the seed 1 going into the top8. Only player with 40 points. Such an underrated deck (even though is boring as hell to play against and to watch).

Santiako

y2dvd

Can someone explain what Standard Showdown is? There are packs you get and you have to use them in your build or something?

Ashodin

Can someone explain what Standard Showdown is? There are packs you get and you have to use them in your build or something?
You're referring to sealed league. Standard showdown is an event where you play standard and then get a special pack of mostly rares for many reasons, at the discretion of the organizer. So winning could net you one, most creative deck, etc.

ironmang

Lost to a much better player and forgot what my cards did so I'm dead for top 8 but live for 16 I think.

Forgot to mention before but I got deck checked 3 times in the first 10 rounds lol.

Edit: 11-4 top 32. Topdecked platings against grixis shadow in both games for the win. G2 i won T3 on the draw, mulligan to 6, through a thoughtseize. :)

Tunoku

It feels so bad to lose to Approach of the Second Sun. It feels even worse to lose to a Sphinx of the Final Word with a bunch of Negates and Dispels in hand.

Ashodin

Lost to a much better player and forgot what my cards did so I'm dead for top 8 but live for 16 I think.

Forgot to mention before but I got deck checked 3 times in the first 10 rounds lol.

Edit: 11-4 top 32. Topdecked platings against grixis shadow in both games for the win. G2 i won T3 on the draw, mulligan to 6, through a thoughtseize. :)
Nice! Better than my 10-5 finish. We have some Damn good magic gaffers here

Santiako

SCG Top 8

Nx72eGI.png

Nice! Better than my 10-5 finish. We have some Damn good magic gaffers here

What did you play?

noquarter

Couldn't make the Open yesterday, so did the Modern Classic today
would have probably been playing in it anyway if I did go to the open.[/spoOpen. Went 5-2. Punted the first match away, had enough to get the kill, but forgot to sac my Darksteel Citadel and left him with one point, he got through the next turn.

Match 2 was also a loss as he got the nuts both times on Eldrazi and Taxes. Won the next five against the other scrubs.

Edit: apparently it is 9 rounds. Damn.

Repgnar

For those that have been to a GP how often do the side events occur? There's a few scheduled events like Foiled Again I want to try but mostly will be playing Amonkhet draft. On demand is 8 people so I don't imagine having to wait around too long especially if going with friends.

Wulfric

For those that have been to a GP how often do the side events occur? There's a few scheduled events like Foiled Again I want to try but mostly will be playing Amonkhet draft. On demand is 8 people so I don't imagine having to wait around too long especially if going with friends.

Oh, there's so many events I usually drop an event or two to go play something else/get signatures. You might have trouble with on-demand events early in the day due to people not dropping yet, but plenty sign up after 12 PM or so. Scheduled events will fire nearly 100% of the time unless it's some weird format like Emperor.

Tunoku

I've pretty much settled on this list for the GP next week:

4 Servant of the Conduit
4 Rogue Refiner
4 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
2 Tireless Tracker
2 Whirler Virtuoso

4 Attune with Aether
4 Harnessed Lightning
3 Glimmer of Genius
1 Dissenter's Deliverance
4 Woodweaver's Puzzleknot
4 Aetherworks Marvel
2 Chandra, Flamecaller

4 Aether Hub
4 Spirebluff Canal
3 Botanical Sanctum
2 Lumbering Falls
1 Sheltered Thicket
5 Forest
2 Mountain
1 Island

//Sideboard
2 Manglehorn
1 Tireless Tracker
2 Dispel
3 Negate
2 Magma Spray
2 Sweltering Suns
1 Confiscation Coup
2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

Only changes I'm considering at this point:

-1 Puzzleknot
+1 Virtuoso

-2 Manglehorn
+1 Confiscation Coup
+1 Tireless Tracker

I'm also getting worried about the Esper Vehicles matchup. I feel like my deck is not set up that well to beat it and I'm not sure about potential countermeasures. Any ideas? I'm talking about this deck: https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/esper-vehicles/

Tunoku

I could try a copy of Tears and a copy of Torrential Gearhulk in the sideboard over Manglehorn. Tears still plays against Mardu and Gearhulk can go in against control and the mirror.

I'm really looking forward to C17, but I hate the spikes after... More and more "speculators" are now targeting casual cards, so I feel like this round could particularly brutal. Whatevs, I guess, I just get nervous. I hate eyeing a card for fun only to have it jump to some stupid number.

There was a comment last page about that Ask a Magic Judge IRC page. That is honestly one of the best sites / resources that I don't think people are super aware of.

Zocano

Do the ultra pro eclipse sleeves still have the little holo logo in the bottom right? I need to buy some more sleeves and hear they are good quality but that thing is a huge pet peeve to me and would rather just stick to KMC hyper mattes.

Tunoku

The one complaint I have about the Eclipse sleeves is that the front seems to get dirt specks easier than other sleeves I've had.

About Marvel: I was wondering if the meta is at a point where you could cut the two Flamecallers from the deck and run Torrential Gearhulks instead. Would help the Esper Vehicles matchup as well. Maybe I'm too worried about the deck, but I have to play some test games against it first.

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah, zombies have kind of disappeared. They're a serious dog to a handful of sweepers and magma sprays from either the board and/or a few in the main when they do show up. I feel like a single Chandra and 1 or 2 sweltering suns main is probably fine, given that both cards aren't dead anywhere- whether its Chandra pressuring a control opponent or filtering your hand, or suns getting cycled.

KMC sleeves were my favorite before the formula change. Now, they wear out considerably quicker.

Still can't decide what to play in the PTQ finals this morning. Been practicing UR control all week, but I keep waffling back and forth on whether it'd be better to just play marvel. Void Winnower landing against an opposing marvel deck without an ulamog already online is pretty much game. (Seriously, look at the deck- a confiscation coup out of the board is pretty much the only thing that can stop that.) I find that sometimes, in the mirror, you end up in this weird spot where landing Ulamog first actually hurts because they follow up with a marvel of their own and Ulamog yours. Void Winnower solves that problem while also shutting down a good chunk of the deck, including the harnessed lightnings that could kill it.

Not for marvel, but I've also been debating whether now is finally the time for undergrowth champion to shine in some of these more midrange green aggro lists. Nearly everyone has switched to Harnessed Lightning as their removal of choice and champion just kills that plan. Probably just too poor a rate, but the landfall ability is nice. Were his cost lower/base stats higher, I could see him coming in over voltaic brawler and the like.

Tunoku

There is a big difference between 2 and 3 mana and Marvel decks bring in Confiscation Coup against green midrange. You can chump all day, and then steal a giant ass Champion and completely foil their plans. Not a fan.

EDIT: It's actually closer to a 4 drop since you want the counter and they can still respond to the Landfall trigger.

I think I'd play UR in your position. It's a good deck and the blue matchups are super skill intensive on both ends, so it's just better to play the deck you're more familiar with.

bigkrev

I exclusively use Dragon Shields for constructed decks. Some people don't like the feel but I'm an abusive shufflers and they never break

Tunoku

I love Dragon Shields, but I absolutely have to double sleeve my cards or else I'll go crazy. And since Shields are so thick, the decks get enormous, especially for Commander.

OnPoint

Just saw that list above...

Amulet Titan is a real deck still??

Edit:

I also think it's funny that the top 8 was a collection of decks that saw significant bannings. Probe in Shadow (which has 3 slots), Troll in Dredge, Bloom in Titan, Deathrite/Bloodbraid in Jund and Eye in Eldrazi.

That's... pretty fucking crazy that they're all still top tier after being taken down a peg or two.

red13th

I use KMC Hyper Mats for my main cube, but my new project is using Dragon Shields since KMC are bad now apparently. Dragon Shields Mattes are great. They don't sell Eclipses here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom