• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wrath is interesting (not sure if it's unplayable, OK, or amazing), Bolas is eh, and Samut is pretty damn bad. And yeah, making her RG instead of Naya is odd.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I feel like I'd be excited to pull Samut if she was 3 mana for 3.
Four for four just feels like its one turn later than I want to start taking advantage of that double strike

Santiako

Samut pw seems teeeeerrible. Bolas seems very strong but kind of underwhelming at the same time. The wrath is a really interesting design, I feel like it's going to be very good in standard.

Why the hell is she Naya if she's just R/G here? And now we have 3 shitty R/G walker characters that no one gives a fuck about.

Maro admitted that they put the white ability just to make her naya for commander. The character is just RG.

OnPoint

I think the wrath is bonkers, especially in control. Also imagining a scenario where it's REAL good in Mardu Vehicles.

I think Bolas is better than y'all thing, specifically because you can cheat it in. I don't see it replacing Ulamog, just supplementing it, adding more heavy hits to Marvel spins. Not sure how good it is outside of a Marvel deck.

I think Samut is poop soup.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Samut is garbage. What is their obsession with bad gruul planeswalkers? Also no one cares if casual edh decks can ulti it with a 5 mana enchantment. Isn't atraxa the superfriends commander and this can't even be played in that?

bigkrev

toxic deluge.
It's not that it's 3 mana, it's that you functionally skip your next turn as an added cost.

Why the hell is she Naya if she's just R/G here? And now we have 3 shitty R/G walker characters that no one gives a fuck about.

They said they realized how much we hated the Gatewatch when doing this set. My guess is this was originally a Ajani or a Nissa, and they forgot the original one had a W activation

Hero

3CC wrath is interesting with its downside.

Samut is terrible.

Bolas seems decent though the ult is kind of redundant.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's not that it's 3 mana, it's that you functionally skip your next turn as an added cost.

They said they realized how much we hated the Gatewatch when doing this set. My guess is this was originally a Ajani or a Nissa, and they forgot the original one had a W activation
We already had a nissa in the same set and just had an ajani. I think you are off base and samut was given white just for commander purposes as an aside.

My guess is this was originally a Ajani or a Nissa

No, it was 100% definitely always Samut, partially because they've said they will include a new character in every possible block and partially because there's nobody else set up at all to tie into the local plane.

I'd bet that this card was already pretty well defined in the HOU file and they went back later to tweak the AKH version.

DrArchon

The fact that Samut is yet another sub-par RG walker just makes me wish that we had gotten just about anyone else instead. I don't even know what Djeru could've been color-wise, but I doubt he would've been as disappointing.

We knew Samut would ascend ever since Aleksi Briclot erroneously put #planeswalker when she spoiled the art for Samut, Voice of Dissent on instagram. She also drew this Samut so she knew based on formating alone.

The instagram post was deleted but there's still the Reddit thread on it. With a mirror and tumblr
OUdZI9x.jpg

Santiako

Interesting note: the set has 15 extra cards. My guess is that it has Desert type basic lands (like the snow-covered ones) with 3 arts each.

Ashodin

Just saw the massive fuck up. They posted them themselves, so they'll have to acknowledge it sooner or later.

Bolas is sweet. Not better than Ulamog or Chandra though. Should be good when Chandra rotates. Zombie deck will be gone in Ixalan.

Three mana wrath got me interested. There's ways around it.

Ooh, bontu, this, and hidden stockpile.

Samut is poop soup. Terrible fucking card 💩💩💩💩💩

A_Dang

So the fifteen extra cards have to be basic land that are deserts now

That would be a bit strange considering Shefet Monitor says "you may search your library for a basic land card or a Desert card." Maybe they are deserts that produce colored mana?

Edit: would it be "Basic Desert Land - Forest" or something? The wording still seems strange.

I thought you were pissing on my boy Xenagos, but then I remember Domri Rade/Arlin Kor.

Seriously, why isn't she Naya?

Also, Bolas is going to get Marvel Banned. I don't care how well it tests, he's a card they'd want that is on par with Ulamog when dropped turn 4 ie "Answer me in 2 turns or you lose". That -4 is absurd with it being able to hit face, and the +s are just as good.

Jhriad

As Foretold + Bontu's Last Reckoning

Who needs to tap mana to cast the sweeper?

Samut is disappointing. As everyone else has said, why is she only RG here but Naya on the previous card?

Santiako

So the fifteen extra cards have to be basic land that are deserts now

That's what I just said and since MaRo mentioned deserts are a big theme in Hour, it would make sense.

That would be a bit strange considering Shefet Monitor says "you may search your library for a basic land card or a Desert card." Maybe they are deserts that produce colored mana?

They would be like snow covered lands, basics with a subtype. Shefet monitor lets you find other deserts too.

Xenagos is pretty boring though. Just shits out bears.

At least Domri has a cool ultimate.
Xenagos beats Domri because at least Xenagos has flavor/actual lore. Domri just was them making a cool card and then forgetting about him. Like, why wasn't he involved during the whole Project Lightning Bug?

DrArchon

I just realized that Arlin is better with Exert creatures than Samut is. For Gods' sake, she should've at least untapped creatures and then given them Double Strike.

Santiako

Edit: would it be "Basic Desert Land - Forest" or something? The wording still seems strange.

Something like this is what I mean (it's a bit different than snow lands since snow is a supertype, but still:

o3FNDYB.jpg

They're probably just fucked-up devastated basics, not desert basics. How does that even work? "Desert Forest"? That's not a thing.

Santiako

They're probably just fucked-up devastated basics, not desert basics. How does that even work? "Desert Forest"? That's not a thing.

We just got a cat snake. That's not a thing either. Maro mentioned that desert is a big theme in Hour, so this is my best guess for an extra 15 cards is the set (could be just alternate art for basics, yes).

Fetchable colorless/basic-typed lands would be nice. I thought we'd see them in a Forest Wastes first but if we get them in the form of deserts it's all the same to me.

Korgill

As Foretold takes away a lot of the wrath's hurt. I will wait and see other B/U goodies before I cast my judgement.

Samut is going into EDH Doubling Superfriends and I will try and force Bolas into some standard deck that will probably be terrible.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Wrath is the only one of those cards that is good. It is also really good. Sure you have to keep lands tapped but it's ridiculously cheap and doesn't prevent you from playing lands.

El Topo

Having watched plenty of UR Control, I'm not sure I want that archetype to return, at least not the traditional "I play everything during your turn" decks.

don't forget those annoying kill you on turn 4 decks or my graveyard is just an extension of the hand decks.

We can all agree on hating magic, it also shows again that there's just not good enough answers to that crap which makes it stomachable in modern.

El Topo

Eh. I don't mind decks as long as there is effective sideboard against it. Pity Wizards hasn't really been good at that (for Standard) in a while.

red13th

Samut's reveals were both so messy. Her art was spoiled by the artist with the planeswalker tag before her preview came (and surprise she's a creature, I wonder if she'll spark?), and now her actual planeswalker card is spoiled waaay before HoD spoiler season. What a sad sequence of events.

Lucario

Please tell me those are intro pack walkers. They're both trash.

7 mana across 3 colors for a walker that does less than Sorin isn't what I'm looking to do in standard. And Samut just doesn't do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom