• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbyugi

One thing I forgot to mention about Saki's mahjong world is that I wonder, do they gender-segregate the matches (in the high school tournaments) in order to protect the guys? I mean, from what we know, it's clear that none of the males could hope to compete with the top female contenders... there's like one known male mahjong pro that we have seen versus a bunch of female ones, and Ritz has said that the winner of the boys' side highschool tournament would only be a midlevel player at best on the girls' side. No yuri-fueled superpowers for the guys, I guess... :p

It's because the men wear underwear. As has been shown more clothes mean less mahjong power, which is why none of the girls wear panties and why Saki takes her socks/shoes off. It would also explain why none of the huge breasted girls wear bra's even though they need all the support they can get.

I actually halfway think that the years of constant Hisa x Mihoko fanart may have finally got to Ritz and she decided to go with it and finally actually get them together... poor Mako though, she thinks so much of Hisa, as 114-118 showed, for sure. But I doubt she'd have much of a chance against Mihoko, unless Hisa goes for the harem end of course. But it's better to choose one...

Hisa seems like she would enjoy the harem route. I do wonder if Ritz will actually make any couples official, there is some hella thick undertones with some of the characters.

And on that note, I think that the payoff for Mako losing is that Hisa is going to avenge her bad defeat last game. Remember, last time Mako won big with a grand total of zero panels of the actual match shown but she DID win big and actually had the biggest point gain of any of their team that game, while Hisa lost badly in a multi-chapter match. So yeah, now Hisa will win again, I think. Maybe Mako will do well next game too, but next game is the national finals... that'll be tough, in every game. Good luck!

I'd be fine with Hisa winning big to prove herself. Also I totally forgot about Mako's last match because it wasn't really shown, it wouldn't suprise me if she only got a couple of chapters for her grand finals match as well.

LTTP but Food Wars! sounds so incredi-bad. Just leave it as Shokugeki no Soma like you did with Bakuman, Houshin Engi, and Hikaru no Go. Hoping the logo won't look awful like some of their series or have "Shonen Jump's" <insert title> but we'll see.
So much kablargh.

Donyatsu 26
Continues to be the best/most unexpected sci-fi comedy (and apparently love story), love the reference back to the shiritori game.

Ao no Exorcist 51
I liked the food sequence (but then I like that in any manga) but I could care less about anyone's past outside of the brothers, Mephistopheles, and Shura. I just can't care about Izumo so I might not like this arc.

It's because the men wear underwear. As has been shown more clothes mean less mahjong power, which is why none of the girls wear panties and why Saki takes her socks/shoes off. It would also explain why none of the huge breasted girls wear bra's even though they need all the support they can get.
Hmm... that's possible, but I think the yuri powers are probably the real reason...

But also, do we KNOW that the men wear underwear? I don't think it's ever been seen or referenced, since the few male characters don't get fanservice shots. It might be reasonable to assume they do, but we don't know for sure, I don't think.

(As for bras, yeah, none of the huge-breasted girls wear them, but it's never been suggested that any of the other girls wear them either. Undershirts, yes, sometimes. Bras? Never seen or referenced, I don't believe. It's like with panties, tights, spats, pants, etc. are worn by female characters, but never panties.)

As for Saki, I think that's just her, not anything beyond that (about her gaining power by taking off her socks).

Hisa seems like she would enjoy the harem route. I do wonder if Ritz will actually make any couples official, there is some hella thick undertones with some of the characters.
I can't see Yumi & Momo, Toki & Ryuuka, and maybe most of all Mairu and Himeko (those two are even roommates! Ritz said so.) as almost certainly being couples. The rest is mostly speculation or wishful thinking, but those three, and maybe potentially sometime Saki & Nodoka and maybe others, have got to be couples... though I know, it's usually kept at "very close". I guess you could maybe pass off Toki/Ryuuka as "just very close", but Yumi/Momo and Mairu/Himeko? It would strain credibility to say the least.

As for Hisa, sure, maybe she could go harem route... she is kind of evil at times.

I'd be fine with Hisa winning big to prove herself. Also I totally forgot about Mako's last match because it wasn't really shown, it wouldn't suprise me if she only got a couple of chapters for her grand finals match as well.
Yeah, if you look at the chart, Mako actually had by FAR Kiyosumi's biggest point gain in the previous match... and all it got her was like one panel of her coming back into the room afterwards and saying about how easy it'd been. Poor Mako...

dumbyugi

Hmm... that's possible, but I think the yuri powers are probably the real reason...

But also, do we KNOW that the men wear underwear? I don't think it's ever been seen or referenced, since the few male characters don't get fanservice shots. It might be reasonable to assume they do, but we don't know for sure, I don't think.

(As for bras, yeah, none of the huge-breasted girls wear them, but it's never been suggested that any of the other girls wear them either. Undershirts, yes, sometimes. Bras? Never seen or referenced, I don't believe. It's like with panties, tights, spats, pants, etc. are worn by female characters, but never panties.)

As for Saki, I think that's just her, not anything beyond that (about her gaining power by taking off her socks).

Maybe underwear just doesn't exist in the Saki universe? It probably is the yuri powers, though that doesn't explain Yuuki who has shown more interest Suga then any women. Also yeah I know none of the characters wear bras but the flat ones don't really need them anyway.

I can't see Yumi & Momo, Toki & Ryuuka, and maybe most of all Mairu and Himeko (those two are even roommates! Ritz said so.) as almost certainly being couples. The rest is mostly speculation or wishful thinking, but those three, and maybe potentially sometime Saki & Nodoka and maybe others, have got to be couples... though I know, it's usually kept at "very close". I guess you could maybe pass off Toki/Ryuuka as "just very close", but Yumi/Momo and Mairu/Himeko? It would strain credibility to say the least.

As for Hisa, sure, maybe she could go harem route... she is kind of evil at times.

I'm sure in the end it'll just be kept as "close friends" for everyone but as you said some of them clearly have a thing for each other. If Ritz does actually make some of the couples official then there is no way that Yumi & Momo wouldn't be one of them. Momo even gets jealous that Hisa and Yumi got close enough to be calling each other by their first names. For not yuri couples I would assume that Yuuki & Suga would get together, in fact I could see that happening even if Ritz doesn't make any other couples official.

Yeah, if you look at the chart, Mako actually had by FAR Kiyosumi's biggest point gain in the previous match... and all it got her was like one panel of her coming back into the room afterwards and saying about how easy it'd been. Poor Mako...

Poor Mako, she's probably had less panel time than the announcers.

Boku no Tonari ni Ankoku Hakaishin ga Imasu 02

Soulmate attained! Shuri Winterbottom is friends forever.

The dialogue has went past levels of chuunibyou, but it is still pretty interesting to see how the straight man keeps failing to be the straight man.

Maybe underwear just doesn't exist in the Saki universe? It probably is the yuri powers, though that doesn't explain Yuuki who has shown more interest Suga then any women. Also yeah I know none of the characters wear bras but the flat ones don't really need them anyway.
Well, it might not exist, but it may in some form -- it's just almost never worn. Yuuki has that one time from very early in the series where, when dressed as a maid (while Saki and Nodoka were at Mako's, also dressed as maids, and clearly nopan) she faced him and said something about showing him her panchira and lifted her skirt, but he looked away and said 'I don't want to see' or something... but we never see if she actually was wearing underwear. It's the only time in the franchise underwear was ever mentioned, but it's an unreliable narrator (Yuuki...) and it's not actaully seen. The resulting speculation is that panties are only worn for punishment, since she also says that the maid costume was a punishment game.

Also, Yuuki could be bi. Remember that stuff she did with Nodoka, mostly before too, particularly in flashbacks from before Nodoka met Saki, but also in one of the picture-drama OVAs too... so she could get a bit of yuri power from that. It runs out too quickly, though, which might be why she fades after the first half...

I'm sure in the end it'll just be kept as "close friends" for everyone but as you said some of them clearly have a thing for each other. If Ritz does actually make some of the couples official then there is no way that Yumi & Momo wouldn't be one of them. Momo even gets jealous that Hisa and Yumi got close enough to be calling each other by their first names. For not yuri couples I would assume that Yuuki & Suga would get together, in fact I could see that happening even if Ritz doesn't make any other couples official.
Yumi & Momo... this happened in Achiga-hen. http://abload.de/img/1380421799133sdpnx.jpg (hugging) Was that a "we're just friends" hug?

As for non-yuri couples, that depends on if Yuuki's serious or not. With her, who knows. And that's the only one that's even hinted at in the franchise (Kyoutarou likes Nodoka early on, of course, but they stop mentioning that after a while, and the feelings are most definitely not mutual.)

In general about the relationships, we'll see, though. Ritz clearly doesn't want to actually say for sure "yes they are couples", just leave constant hints that they are. It's worked so far, so I doubt that that formula will change. However, the fans will never forget that one mention (from a Yuuki-Nodoka conversation) about IPS babies...

Poor Mako, she's probably had less panel time than the announcers.
Quite possibly so. :( She has a good design, too; green is my favorite color, and glasses are nice. Hisa is definitely the best, but Mako, and as I said also Arata, definitely have been badly ignored way too often. I know there's only so much space, but relatively minor characters have gotten a lot more than either of those ones from "main character" teams...

exarkun

Blue Exorcist 51

I knew he was a triple agent! He knew that it was a sensor/way to find Izumo.

LOL at the 1.5 million yen gag. Really love this manga, wish the anime didnt start so soon and have to butcher it like it did. The animation in the anime was great too : (

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
BAMBINO

Now THIS is a good manga about the harshness of the food/kitchen industry. Mangas like Food Smut is alright but it is not by any means an ideal example able to depict the real stuff that happens in the real kitchen--favoring various shounen tropes instead like genius here genius that--but this manga has it in spades.

Bambino_Covers.jpg

A definite recommendation to anyone looking for a great manga with great depictions on how harsh kitchen life can be--I've been there....

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This fascinates me. Care to share, banana-breh?

I've worked in restaurants before, both in service and in the kitchen. Services I've done several positions, from bar attendant to waiter to maitre'd. It can be tough, especially waiter, especially in the weekends. It is one of those jobs that you absolutely need to have great focus/concentration on.

However, kitchen jobs is on a different level altogether. It's incredibly tough. My head chef was a French guy and he's absolutely ruthless to the core. I've been called all sorts of animals and expletives from A to Z, hahaha, along with hourly dosage of 'stupid', 'idiot', 'imbecile'. Some people actually quit due to how tough/merciless that guy can be. Making food for even just 50 people can be exceptionally tough, considering I worked in a fine dining restaurant so our team need to make opening, main course, and desserts... all the while we have a big french guy calling us names and the heat in the kitchen man...... the heat.... with all the stoves and fires and whatnot... it's unbelievable. We once had a guy cut loose one of his fingers since he's not paying attention and everything was in chaos due to that, hahahaha.

Not to mention the fact that we still need to do our job even when the restaurant has closed such as buying ingredients... thinking up menu... preparing for tomorrow's services..... It was definitely one of the toughest jobs I've ever taken in my life.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
BAMBINO

Now THIS is a good manga about the harshness of the food/kitchen industry. Mangas like Food Smut is alright but it is not by any means an ideal example able to depict the real stuff that happens in the real kitchen--favoring various shounen tropes instead like genius here genius that--but this manga has it in spades.

Bambino_Covers.jpg

A definite recommendation to anyone looking for a great manga with great depictions on how harsh kitchen life can be--I've been there....

Good to see that you picked it up. Definitely one of the best cooking manga.

Too bad nobody is translating the sequel. :(

Mr. Fix

I've worked in restaurants before, both in service and in the kitchen. Services I've done several positions, from bar attendant to waiter to maitre'd. It can be tough, especially waiter, especially in the weekends. It is one of those jobs that you absolutely need to have great focus/concentration on.

However, kitchen jobs is on a different level altogether. It's incredibly tough. My head chef was a French guy and he's absolutely ruthless to the core. I've been called all sorts of animals and expletives from A to Z, hahaha, along with hourly dosage of 'stupid', 'idiot', 'imbecile'. Some people actually quit due to how tough/merciless that guy can be. Making food for even just 50 people can be exceptionally tough, considering I worked in a fine dining restaurant so our team need to make opening, main course, and desserts... all the while we have a big french guy calling us names and the heat in the kitchen man...... the heat.... with all the stoves and fires and whatnot... it's unbelievable. We once had a guy cut loose one of his fingers since he's not paying attention and everything was in chaos due to that, hahahaha.

Not to mention the fact that we still need to do our job even when the restaurant has closed such as buying ingredients... thinking up menu... preparing for tomorrow's services..... It was definitely one of the toughest jobs I've ever taken in my life.

PyxK3nH.jpg

Damn, dude. A while back I considered chef school while deciding on a career path, but I've been told that does get pretty crazy.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
PyxK3nH.jpg

Damn, dude. A while back I considered chef school while deciding on a career path, but I've been told that does get pretty crazy.

Hell's Kitchen is an exaggeration... but not much, hahaha.

Yeah, if you decide to work professionally in the kitchen, you have to have an absolutely strong mental--and often physical too--fortitude. It is definitely, in my opinion, one of the most demanding and exhausting jobs that anyone can take. And most don't strike it rich like Gordon too, hahaha---and even he, if you know his story, have suffered numerous setbacks and lows during his career that would have definitely knocked out a lesser man.

Which is way it is refreshing to find something like Bambino. Food Smut is soft... wayy too soft on picturing how hellish kitchen world can be.

Glass Rebel

Sounds familiar :) I sometimes worked in a galley back in high school but we had a German cook who was a bit more chill. Not the toughest job I've ever had but most certainly the most stressful.

Akito

Natsu no Zenjitsu 22
Oh boy, this is like one of those cases, where you can just see that some beautiful things are about to crash and burn and instead of looking away, you're doing the exact opposite.

Korosenai

One Piece Spoiler

Doflamingo, from the shadows, used his ability to control King Riku to start attacking his own people, which is why King Riku is so hated.

Akito

Oldman 1

Not this looks quite interesting. In a fictive historical setting there is a unaging queen who is clearly not loved by everyone, certainly not by her own son who just escaped the dungeon he was thrown in and is now seeking revenge as he was freeing a fellow captive during his escape, a young woman with severed arms and legs as the result of a failed rebellion. What really stands out is the phenomenal art which could be compared to the like of Kentaro Miura or Makoto Yukimura, well at least the black & white art, the color pages look rather like heavily photoshopped pictures, if I didn't know better I would never suspect that this is a manhua.

dramatis

Lady in cumbersome dress not made for riding versus guy dressed (upperside at least) in metal plates? Obviously the one showing her tits will win.

Also, unless her dress has a ridiculously wide hem, it should be tucked up where the saddle is. If she's fighting the guy while sitting sidesaddle though, screw that.

Good to see that you picked it up. Definitely one of the best cooking manga.

Too bad nobody is translating the sequel. :(

Ugh so much want. It looks like from the raws Asuka and Ban might be hooking up (pure speculation but no one in manga goes to the beach as friends) and Kawabara is coming back.

(Also: Nakama~)

Yotsuba
Grandma!

Akito

Lady in cumbersome dress not made for riding versus guy dressed (upperside at least) in metal plates? Obviously the one showing her tits will win.

Also, unless her dress has a ridiculously wide hem, it should be tucked up where the saddle is. If she's fighting the guy while sitting sidesaddle though, screw that.
Haha you like the horse at least?

DrWong

Just finished the 2 vol. of Abi Sword, a wuxia comic book from Chen Uen (art) I got around 2 years ago from the man himself (so yeah, my volumes are signed). It's a classical wuxia tale with a wonderful art. The presentation is acurate :
Abi-Sword is the two-volume manga masterpiece from artist Chen Uen and writer Ma Li. It is a poetic martial arts adventure about a young hero’s search for revenge and the secret of a powerful sword-craft from another realm. Chen’s exquisite artwork is a successful wedding of traditional Chinese brush techniques with Western illustration style, and the story a gripping and demonic tale of magic and mayhem.

Abi-Sword-Volume-I_Cover-500.jpg

I'm also finishing Opus vol. 1 from Satoshi Kon and just received my copy of the Spanish version of one of his short stories manga:

arton189.jpg

Lain

I'm also finishing Opus vol. 1 from Satoshi Kon and just received my copy of the Spanish version of one of his short stories manga:

arton189.jpg

Funny, I went and read volume 2 of Opus today.
The wall breaking in it is pretty amazing. Wish it could have had a real ending, though even the way it ends in is interesting in its own way.

Popnbake

No one mentioned HxH resuming serialization in December potentially?

i'll believe it when i see it

^

I've read that Miura as well is coming back to Berserk after finishing his mini-series but at this point I can't believe anything when it comes to those two authors until the new chapter releases.

This segment was from a interview in Jan 2012:

What Miura said about the God Hand.

He was asked about them (the announcer saying we don't know much about them), and he said their story would be shown soon enough. But he added that for him, "soon" can often mean a year. Apart from that, he's currently working on the manga's manuscript, and he said he draws around a page per day.

I was hyped to finally see backstory for the god hand to at least get started this year but judging by the latest chapter, his estimates was a long ways off.

Lain

Amanchu! volume 3
FZy.jpg

Man oh man, so good (and this time the screen tones weren't fucked like in volume 2). That train usage just to watch some plants for 1 second. The teacher is as much of a kid as the rest of them.
Teko is so sweetly cute, which complements Pikari's coolness and whackery perfectly.
The episode about the twins, with the poor dude getting kicked left and right XD
I'll say once again, the only Amano worth something to me.

REC 1-8
I decided to start reading this after watching the anime. The anime does this part a lot better. Also, this already passes what the anime covers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom