• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marc Laidlaw reveals Half-Life 2 Episode 3's story synopsis

Fox318

Why cant Valve just man up and Make Half Life 3 to end the story of Gordan Freeman. Did all the money they make from Steam really went to their heads? Why cant they licence Half Life to a good dev team so they can make Half Life 3?

With that the story is still unfinished. The Combine still exist and does not explain the role of The G-Man.
Valve can't make games any more and outside of the first Half Life game they never have.

They steal or purchase ideas or modify them just enough so they are their own. Then instead of treating their customers like any other company they move their desk to another beta and project that will never come out. The cycle repeats itself and game devs go their to collect benefits once they are focused on retiring and enjoy the perks of having happy hour in Hawaii for a week.

Bottom line is they have no pressure to change and no pressure to their customers. They basically have fans create content for Dota2, CSGo, and TF2.

Nicolada

Sucks we'll never get to see this for real, that's an interesting set-up that could have been, but at least it's better than nothing at all.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
2d7.jpg

Mikey Jr.

Remember that gif of Gabe hammering away on a crowbar, saying "these things, they take time."

Man, he really was full of shit, wasn't he?

Pachael

Ain't even mad at the cliffhanger, was clearly going to lead to the last game of the trilogy. Thanks for all the fish and God bless.

Totally, but in itself it functions as a (depressing) resolution to the events of the past games. Nothing you did mattered, ever. Your best friend has betrayed you. Humanity is doomed. Goodbye.

Betrayed is a strong word. She took a way out that was not available to you. At worst she regretfully abandoned you to a fate she could do nothing to save you from.

AHA-Lambda

It's been said a million times before but yeah we were never entitled to anything and all that, but really the worst part is Valve's attitude more than anything. It stinks.

After all this time, heck much before even, it's clear it was dead. But they stayed mum, or even hinted that if you just kept waiting it would all work out.

Business decisions can be argued and fairly rationalised, but Valve's treatment of its fans has been simply and utterly shameful.
Even an admittance that it wasn't happening would have been more closure than anything we've had from them. Instead people have sat on tinterhooks since 2007 and less than even an acknowledgment from them.
And now we sit here reading the end to one of gaming's perennial series as a blog post. Pathetic.

Oreoleo

It ends at a point that would've completed the HL2 era story arc, leaving things open for something in the future. Much like the end of HL1, and the end of HL2.

Which is to say, things were finished and concluded. Not left dangling in the middle of the action like Ep 2.
Absolutely. This is 100x a more satisfying note to end on than EP2's. Do I still want to know the nature of G-man? Sure. But I can deal.

Whoa... shit. I kinda gave up on an actual game ever materializing a while ago, but this sounds like it would've been an incredible conclusion. Can't believe this is just out there now - but I'll take it :(

That last paragraph, holy fuck. Wow, wow.

TheXbox

I mean yeah, but Shenmue 3, the sequel to a Dreamcast game, made $6 million in 30 days. It's not like Valve is a publicly traded company, they could take the risk.
If they were a publicly-traded company then I think there's no doubt that they would've made another Half-Life. Guaranteed 10 mil+ sales, a massive boon for their online platform, and a launch-pad for new tech? No other publisher, given the means to do so, would not make that game. External pressure from external stakeholders has its upsides.

oti

Banned
I mean yeah, but Shenmue 3, the sequel to a Dreamcast game, made $6 million in 30 days. It's not like Valve is a publicly traded company, they could take the risk.

I just don't think Valve would deem that worth their time at this point. Despite not beeing a publicly traded company.

But it's Valve. Who knows what they're doing all day anyway.

squall23

The cliffhanger here isn't as bad as the one in Episode 2. The only thing we don't know is if the good guys won or not, but we do know that Gordon is alive and he's moving on from this shit. He considers his part of the story over.

Wow, I don't understand how this got into development hell. I figured they didn't know where to take the plot, but apparently the conclusion was there all along. The episode seems pretty succinct, with just an intro and three short acts (capture, infiltration, boarding the Borealis + conclusion).

I really don't understand what fell apart. Did they just not figure out how to implement the time mechanics/whether they should be mechanics or just neat visual effects?

I think the worst part is all the rumors and outright sentiment from Valve about how they couldn't talk about it because it would be more frustrating than not saying anything, and how golly gee the expectations were so high and the meanies would hate on it if it wasn't perfect (because valve has never taken a long time to release a manically hyped sequel and gotten accolades for it anyway).

Guess what, guys? You were wrong!!

Dmax3901

Kinda stunned tbh. I like what I read and I feel like something has clicked deep within my core, like a really satisfying back crack. So I guess that's a good sign.

Damn sad though.

jrcbandit

Why didn't they just proceed and do this story as HL 2 episode 3 within a year or 2 or so of ep 2 release? We'd all be still wanting HL3, but at least the episodes would have felt finished and opened up new interesting possibilities.

Adam_802

Wow....

I dont know how to react, I need to sleep on this.....

All I can say now are 2 things:

1.) Thank you Marc, Thank You.....

and 2.) FUCK Valve. Seriously.

Harpoon

Well, I guess that's that.

I'm seeing some complain about another cliffhanger, but I think it wraps up all of the plotlines since HL2 pretty nicely and leaves things off in a much better place than Episode 2 did.

Not sure that this being the last we'll ever hear of Half-Life has really sunk in for me yet. But I guess this is goodbye to the series for the foreseeable future...

Remember that gif of Gabe hammering away on a crowbar, saying "these things, they take time."

Man, he really was full of shit, wasn't he?

That was 2012. They put out Portal 2 with a large single player component in 2011. It's reasonable that there was still some expectation that not all HL development was over.

bndadm

That section where Gordon has been left to die on the time missile ship and he sees how vast the Combine fleet is the most appropriately depressing thing and still fitting in the context of the series.

This world should not be impossible to tell stories in. The fact that Valve treats it like garbage when it had played such a role in creating Valves early legacy is baffling. Truly baffling.

I'm glad this is out. It's a hell of a read.

RRockman

Banned
I think the worst part is all the rumors and outright sentiment from Valve about how they couldn't talk about it because it would be more frustrating than not saying anything, and how golly gee the expectations were so high and the meanies would hate on it if it wasn't perfect (because valve has never taken a long time to release an anticipated sequel and gotten accolades for it).

Guess what, guys? You were wrong!!

The series died like a dog in an alley.

I don't have a word that describes how dissapointed and angry I am. All I know is that

Top Bottom